Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewire

• 18-06-2011 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Ive been asked to rewire an old 2 bed cottage.I havent done nixers in years and dont know how much to charge.I priced materials at about 280 euro.Its only about 5 lights ,10 sockets and maybe an immersion and cooker.I reckon itll take about 2 days with help on 1st day.How much should I charge?Im thinking about 1100 euro.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

2 days is fast

whos paying for certification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

M cebee wrote: »
    2 days is fast

whos paying for certification
    Hmm. failed to consider that.There was a new esb meter and fuse installed in the past 2 years but the existing wiring is from the 50s

sometimes the existing tails from meter can be made do- if they're suitable
    and you're not registered

-may not even be neutralized though

if the customer is getting reci -you'd need to be complying with all the recent rule changes

M cebee wrote: »
    if the customer is getting reci -you'd need to be complying with all the recent rule changes
    Customer wants it done cheap and fast.His 1950s wiring is starting to break down.It will be done to the highest standard.Am I legally required to get a cert for a rewire?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to everything M cebee said.
    Customer wants it done cheap and fast.His 1950s wiring is starting to break down.It will be done to the highest standard.Am I legally required to get a cert for a rewire?

If you pay the ECSSA or RECI to inspect and certify you can do it. I won't go into the tax issue, but you are taking a risk by not having insurance.

I would agree also that 2 days would seem very fast!

Do you have to chase walls?

Remember:

1) You will also need to test the installation. Have you test equipment? Is this really included in your 2 days?

2) An earth rod and inspection box will have to be installed.

3) If the meter is not in an outside cabinet this will also have to be done

4) The meter tails will have to be a minimum of 16 sq.

5) As already pointed out the new distribution board height will apply, meaning that existing tails are not lightly to be long enough (even if they are 16 sq.)

6) €280 sounds vey cheap even for an installation that small! When I wired houses I tended to use high quality materials (an therefore more expensive). This means quicker installation and no call backs!

they may re-connect inside if it's rural

-they often do

-if not sometimes existing overhead service can be routed into surface cabinet outside

2011 wrote: »
    +1 to everything M cede said.

If you pay the ECSSA or RECI to inspect and certify you can do it. I won't go into the tax issue, but you are taking a risk by not having insurance.

I would agree also that 2 days would seem very fast!

Do you have to chase walls?

Remember:

1) You will also need to test the installation. Have you test equipment? Is this really included in your 2 days?

2) An earth rod and inspection box will have to be installed.

3) If the meter is not in an outside cabinet this will also have to be done

4) The meter tails will have to be a minimum of 16 sq.

5) As already pointed out the new distribution board height will apply, meaning that existing tails are not lightly to be long enough (even if they are 16 sq.)

6) €280 sounds vey cheap even for an installation that small! When I wired houses I tended to use high quality materials (an therefore more expensive). This meat quicker installation and no call backs!
    No chasing involved.He wants it done in minitrunking.Meter in house.Dont think theres an earth rod.The existing cable is some kind of rubber covered in cloth for the sockets and a kind of bell wire for lights.An eighty year old man owns the house in the middle of nowhere and Im doing it as a favour to his son.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Whatever about the meter cabinet (M cede may be correct, but I would always take the opportunity to move the meter) you will have to have an earth rod with a 10 sq. mm cable. Not always a quick simple job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

i think you would be doing his son a bigger favour be getting a contractor in who is up to date with current regulations to be honest
    not getting at you but you may cost this old man more in the long run
    new switch heights
    rcd bathroom circuits(including lights)
    smoke detectors living room and hall
    heat detector kitchen

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    i think you would be doing his son a bigger favour be getting a contractor in who is up to date with current regulations to be honest
    not getting at you but you may cost this old man more in the long run
    new switch heights
    rcd bathroom circuits(including lights)
    smoke detectors living room and hall
    heat detector kitchen
    Im having second thoughts .Havent worked in contracting for a good few years and not up to speed on regs.Thanks to all of ye.
    Now ,back to my cushy maintenance number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dont forget the smoke detectors as well, probably a heat detector in the kitchen.

Advertisement