Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things toddlers do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

RedXIV wrote: »
    I don't want my baby to grow up :( toodlers sound hard :(

Mine is way easier now he's a toddler. He's great fun and a cool little dude. Every stage has its own challenges but in my experience, it's getting better and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fired car keys out the letterbox so they were sitting invitingly outside the door (the door faces nearly directly onto the pavement outside) very close to the car for hours.

I've found stuff in the bin too.

Numerous stuff like sunglasses, CDs and even a single trainer have just disappeared so I reckon they're either hidden somewhere or may have went into the bin.

Took out the sky card (and hid it) and tried to bash a credit card into the empty card slot on the sky box before.

On a nicer note, he's sneaked fruit and biscuits in my bag that I've discovered when I get into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Mine is way easier now he's a toddler. He's great fun and a cool little dude. Every stage has its own challenges but in my experience, it's getting better and better.

Ouch! That looks bloody sore. My wee buck is dreadful for beating everything with his blocks - he makes no distinction between the floor, me or a table.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

My niece likes to flush the toilet, when I'm sitting on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Lost a set of keys and about 3 months later spotted them down a drain at the bottom of a down pipe at the edge of the patio. He must have sat there for ages putting each individual key through the tiny slots in the grill.

Another time I was doing some gardening and he was "helping me". When I'm not looking he picks up a hand spade that had a long handle for leverage. Spots a "birdie" swings around hits me in the side of the head with the edge of the spade and I topple out of the flower bed and lie stunned on the grass as he stands over me and says "You Finished? Daddy! Daddy! You Finished?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

My 20 month old hides cutlery and other bits and bobs in my subwoofer speaker. she also takes off her socks and feeds them to our dog, and cracks up laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I agree. It can be difficult alright (my little man has recently taken to climbing in a big way and throwing tantrums) but it's so great in other ways and he's much more fun now then he was when he was a baby. He's really trying to talk now, and he loves dancing and having books read to him etc... and I'm more likely to get a night's sleep!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Had to go through 2 weeks at work with people staring but afraid to ask what had happened. Ugh!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5027/165163.JPG

Addison done that to me a few months ago too when I was changing her nappy (I change her on my knee) she kicked me in the face because she was having a tantrum...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One set of house keys and an ATM card are still missing since last month.

Car keys disappeared recently after packing mum and two younglings into the car. After a long and sweaty search of the house and surrounds (with an increasingly noisy car) they were plucked out of the coat pocket of youngling number one who was just "minding them" in her car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

years ago before we renovated old house, there were some nicely spaced gaps between the floor boards. I was dying sick once day so bundled myself up on couch with son playing around me. I knew he couldn't get out of the room and that everyone was safe ........... I didn't count on him getting my credit cards and notes out of wallet and "posting" them through the floorboards :eek:. I'd forgotten about it till I read the previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Your lucky people are not jumping down your throat calling you a bad parent for leaving you car keys within reach, if the child had got out of the house and opened up the car and started it, you never know what could happen.

Didn't a 7 year old take his mothers keys and start the car and went for a drive to his dads house A 20 MILE DRIVE. he could have killed someone or himself.

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/06/22/boy-7-drives-car/

I couldn't agree with you more - I have in the past followed him just to see what he was capable of and it was frightening.

years ago before we renovated old house, there were some nicely spaced gaps between the floor boards. I was dying sick once day so bundled myself up on couch with son playing around me. I knew he couldn't get out of the room and that everyone was safe ........... I didn't count on him getting my credit cards and notes out of wallet and "posting" them through the floorboards :eek:. I'd forgotten about it till I read the previous posts.

Glad you found them - this was the exact reason I started this thread.

This is the exact reason I started this thread. But I have the added benefit of knowing I am not alone and also I get a laugh at night before going to bed!!!

Dades wrote: »
    One set of house keys and an ATM card are still missing since last month.

Car keys disappeared recently after packing mum and two younglings into the car. After a long and sweaty search of the house and surrounds (with an increasingly noisy car) they were plucked out of the coat pocket of youngling number one who was just "minding them" in her car seat.

Have you checked your sky box and your dvd or even in between!! you may find your card there. Alternatively go down on your knees at the same level as what your child can see and check that way. I know its a bit extreme but thats how I found my keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

my cards were posted through the letter box, garden gate and in the computer hard drive. My fella got his plastic golf club and tried to poke the fire with it, dropped melted globs over the floor, before i was able to get it off him. knifes have to be kept out of reach as do scissors.

Its very hard to toddler proof a house. at lease when things go missing you have to go down on your hands and knees to see what they see and what they can reach. it will give you some idea where they could put the missing object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I think toddlers are the most imaginative people on the planet. Every single time I can't find something, it ends up being in the most random (and unreachable) place.

When my eldest was a toddler, he was crazy about Thomas the Tank engine. For a good year, he would get up in the middle of the night, jump his cot, and crack eggs on the kitchen floor and mix it up with flour and sugar and all sorts of crap to reenact the "crashes" he'd see on TTTE. I'm never letting my twins watch it. :D When we were pottytraining him, he got up in the middle of the night, wandered into the kitchen with his eyes half-closed and peed on top of a laptop in front of us, then got back into bed.

When my daughter was still in her cot, she would wake up early and poo, take off her nappy, smear the poo all over her cot... and eat it. :o

I still have the nightmares. :eek: Although, that's probably nothing compared to the embarrassing stuff she says. The lies might be the worst though!

About two months ago, one of the twins locked the entire family into a bedroom. After much begging and pleading, he tried to open it... and couldn't. Scariest half hour of my life! The twins are terrible because they work together to cause mischief. They love throwing things out windows, and using up an entire tube of toothpaste to clean their hair. There are no safe places in my home anymore, they can literally make their way up to any surface.

The baby seems to be following in their footsteps. My OH turned his back to wash a cup, and she had made it up two flights of stairs and was happily playing with her older brother's toys. First time ever up a stair too.

Whenever I ask, "Who did that?", they all point at a random child and shout "S/He did!" at the exact same time. :rolleyes:

The one annoying thing they all did, apart from hiding keys and phones, was pulling buttons off laptops. Dunno why, but they all seem to really enjoy that.

Most of the time, I don't know whether to give out or be proud of the things they come up with. I'm genuinely surprised/baffled on a daily basis. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Dublin141 - my god, you made me appreciate how easy a time we've had it with our two kids. Geez, I think I'd be bald my now if I had to deal with all you have! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Claramonties

Absolutely brilliant stories!

My son is 21 months, headbutted me (luckily nose not broken) and thought it was hillarious, likes to pinch your bum while getting dressed, lauches anything across the sitting room and actually has good accuracy! We have barracaded the tv off as DVD player etc was randomly turned off, now he just throws teddies at it! I give him my car keys as he loves imitating us, so he gets into his car and pretends to drive. We thought it was cute to let him in the drivers side last week until we discovered a flat battery at 8am! Doh!

it is such an amazing age! They have incredible imaginations, nothing beats it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thats for sure...

Absolutely brilliant stories!

My son is 21 months, headbutted me (luckily nose not broken) and thought it was hillarious, likes to pinch your bum while getting dressed, lauches anything across the sitting room and actually has good accuracy! We have barracaded the tv off as DVD player etc was randomly turned off, now he just throws teddies at it! I give him my car keys as he loves imitating us, so he gets into his car and pretends to drive. We thought it was cute to let him in the drivers side last week until we discovered a flat battery at 8am! Doh!

Watch what they are capable of - Tommy at 18 months was able to get keys of car, get into the car, and put the right key in the ignition!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

When my son was almost 2 we were staying in the sister in laws house and using her spare room. There had been at one point a sink in the room, but they had taken it out, there was however the outlet pipe still there.

My son 'posted' my good gold watch (the one my parents had given me for my 21st) down the pipe.

I had spend a good two days searching for it. Luckly when I asked him he was able to tell me where mammy's 'tick tock' went.

My brother in law had to nearly demolish the wall but I got my watch back.

My son locked the only set of keys of car keys into the car today. I suggested that we ring the local garda station and ask them if the knew anyone who was good at breaking into cars. My suggestion was met we laughter, I thought it was reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I thought I would add to my first post considering the day we've had.

Today was the first potty training day for the twins. Lots of mooning and naked bum shaking to be had. Then the real messing started.

So basically, one of the twins yanked the other one's penis (cringe) and made a farting noise as he did it, then ran off in a fit of hysterical laughter (and also shaking his bum at me). A while later, probably in some form of evil twin retaliation, the one who was, erm, yanked poured a bowl of pee over his twin. Wet with pee twin sat there looking horrified for about five minutes. That's my boys. :o

Good times. It's days like this (when I spend half my time covering my eyes or like this :eek:) that help me understand why my kids have no cousins. :D I think we've reached bottom of the barrel now, tomorrow can't get any worse. Right? Don't answer that....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Our 19 month old has started "cleaning up" and putting things in the bins. It's not good.

Dublin141 wrote: »
    I thought I would add to my first post considering the day we've had.

Today was the first potty training day for the twins. Lots of mooning and naked bum shaking to be had. Then the real messing started.

So basically, one of the twins yanked the other one's penis (cringe) and made a farting noise as he did it, then ran off in a fit of hysterical laughter (and also shaking his bum at me). A while later, probably in some form of evil twin retaliation, the one who was, erm, yanked poured a bowl of pee over his twin. Wet with pee twin sat there looking horrified for about five minutes. That's my boys. :o

Good times. It's days like this (when I spend half my time covering my eyes or like this :eek:) that help me understand why my kids have no cousins. :D I think we've reached bottom of the barrel now, tomorrow can't get any worse. Right? Don't answer that....
    I think I will be laughing for the week at this one. What a great Monday!!.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My 18 month old has only started talking in the past 3 weeks, but he has loads of words all of a sudden. We've started pointing to things and asking what it is and he tells us. :D

The lies are hilarious though. Before he ever said yes or no he shook his head and nodded. One afternoon I got the telltale whiff of a dirty bum. So I asked him:

"Do you have a poo in your nappy?"
    *shakes head*
    "Are you lying to me?"
    *nods head, and laughs hysterically*

I never knew that lying preceded language.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cofy wrote: »
    My son locked the only set of keys of car keys into the car today. I suggested that we ring the local garda station and ask them if the knew anyone who was good at breaking into cars. My suggestion was met we laughter, I thought it was reasonable.

The vast majority of car insurance providers also provide motor rescue which includes keys locked in the car. They can usually open your car with minimal or no damage. Its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I was standing at the toilet yesterday, my little boy ran in and poked his hand between my legs to 'catch' the tinkle.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Loving this thread
    Dublin141 wrote: »
    wandered into the kitchen with his eyes half-closed and peed on top of a laptop in front of us, then got back into bed.

:D

This is priceless. And I thought my toddler knocking a full cup of tea all over our laptop was bad !
    She also helpfully posted my phone into a glass of water on the bedside locker, luckily it was just a regular Nokia phone and nothing fancy like an iphone. CDs are now all boxed away following a few incidences of them all being removed from their boxes and pushed along the tiled floor. All my music is on the now dead laptop :(
    I haven't really learnt from the first few incidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My 16 month old little girl has been fascinated with headphones/earphones since seeing her daddy wear them at the weekend.

I wouldn't allow her to have them this morning so instead she wanders off for a quiet play the other side of the room & returned with balls of fluff from the tumble dryer pushed into her ears as earphones :o You just have to love the their creativity :D

Advertisement