Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has diarrhea

• 18-06-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a 5 month old Lab/whippet cross, so she is a larger dog

I was feeding her large bread pro pac puppy food that i bought from my local vets and then i went to a pet nct day at my local pet store and i was talking to a vets and she recommend that i feed my dog red mills large breed puppy food

So i bought a small bag of it and i said i would give it ago, She has been eating it for the last two week but i have noticed that her bowl movements have been very runny and very frequent and also she is full of wind and passing very alot

I have only been feeding her the correct amount measured out by the supplied measuring cup and she is been fed in the Morning and evening.

Her form is still the same and she is still herself so i dont think she is sick.

She seems to like the red mills more than she like the pro pac
    Thats the redmills one that shes on now
    Pet foods and dog foods for your dog or cat - Leader, Winner and Classic ranges

and this is the pro pac that i started her on
    PRO PAC ® Dog | Large Breed Puppy

Any tips or advise would be great :confused:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

A dog's digestive system is incredibly sensitive so changing from one food to the other like that can cause them to get diarrhea. Generally you should mix the two foods together over a period of seven to twelve days and not just go from one to the other as her stomach has to adjust too quickly.

You might be best off getting a small bag of the Pro Pac if you can and mix it in with the red mills for a few days to see if it makes a difference. Quite a few people I've talked to have had problems with red mills; loose stool, gas etc, so if it doesn't clear up after mixing them, then i would give up on the red mills and go back to the pro pac if i was you.
    Just make sure she's drinking enough and staying hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Have to say Red Mills ran through my 2. I've heard loads complaining about it :)

Took mine off it half way through a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Shanao wrote: »
    A dog's digestive system is incredibly sensitive so changing from one food to the other like that can cause them to get diarrhea. Generally you should mix the two foods together over a period of seven to twelve days and not just go from one to the other as her stomach has to adjust too quickly.

You might be best off getting a small bag of the Pro Pac if you can and mix it in with the red mills for a few days to see if it makes a difference. Quite a few people I've talked to have had problems with red mills; loose stool, gas etc, so if it doesn't clear up after mixing them, then i would give up on the red mills and go back to the pro pac if i was you.
    Just make sure she's drinking enough and staying hydrated.

for the 1st week i mixed the two together but then ran out of pro pac so i just gave her all red mills

Her poo was runny from the 1st day i gave her the redmils

She is drinking lots of water

Then I would say your best off putting her back onto the pro pac. How was she on the pro pac? If she was fine on it, then I would put her back onto it.

Justask wrote: »
    Have to say Red Mills ran through my 2. I've heard loads complaining about it :)

Took mine off it half way through a bag

Anyone i have asked about have said the same thing about redmills

Its looking like ill be taking my dog off it to, im lucky i didnt buy a big bag and only got a small bag

• Advertisement

Then I would say your best off putting her back onto the pro pac. How was she on the pro pac? If she was fine on it, then I would put her back onto it.

She was fine on the pro pac, its hard to get it into her but once she really hungry she eats it no bother, and he poos were normal and she had no wind

When you put her back onto the pro pac, you might be best off starving her for twenty four to let her get all of the red mills out of her system first.

Just had a look at the analysis of both foods and the pro pac is 4% fibre, whereas the red mills is only 2%. That might explain the big difference.

When you put her back onto the pro pac, you might be best off starving her for twenty four to let her get all of the red mills out of her system first.

Just had a look at the analysis of both foods and the pro pac is 4% fibre, whereas the red mills is only 2%. That might explain the big difference.

I rang my vet today to order the pro pac for me as it cant be bought in the pet shops and only vets supply it, so it will be Thursday before i get it
    so ill starve her on wednesday.

Is there anything else i can give her in the mean time till i get the pro pac because all i have is the red mills

sparky89 wrote: »
    I rang my vet today to order the pro pac for me as it cant be bought in the pet shops and only vets supply it, so it will be Thursday before i get it
    so ill starve her on wednesday.

Is there anything else i can give her in the mean time till i get the pro pac because all i have is the red mills

Plain chicken and rice :)

But if her tummy is very bad I would not feed her for 24 hours and then the chicken and rice

Plain chicken and rice :)

But if her tummy is very bad I would not feed her for 24 hours and then the chicken and rice

alot of people have told me just give her chicken and rice
    so ill give it a go anything has to be better than what the red mills is doing to her.

How much chicken and rice do i give a 5 month old pup shes a lap/whippet cross

• Advertisement

alot of people have told me just give her chicken and rice
    so ill give it a go anything has to be better than what the red mills is doing to her.

How much chicken and rice do i give a 5 month old pup shes a lap/whippet cross

Anytime my springer has a upset tummy I usually give him one of those boil in the bags and a chicken fillet twice a day. This is probably wrong but it works for mine :)

Anytime my springer has a upset tummy I usually give him one of those boil in the bags and a chicken fillet twice a day. This is probably wrong but it works for mine :)

Thanks a mil for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our vet recommends NOT starving them but to feed small amounts often - I can't remember the reason why thou!? When my guy gets it I give him royal canin sensitivity - a couple of cans and he's right as rain. If you're giving chicken and rice I'd gradually mix the pro pac into that when you get it say over 2 or 3 days. If it's not clearing up you may need a probiotic like diarsanyl/prokolin to get the balance back. Also make sure she's drinking doesn't get dehydrated.

I have taken her off the redmills this morning

and i gave her boiled chicken and rice this moring but only a small amount and i will give her more for dinner

There has already been a big improvement in the poos

Thanks all for the help and advise :)

I have taken her off the redmills this morning

and i gave her boiled chicken and rice this moring but only a small amount and i will give her more for dinner

There has already been a big improvement in the poos

Thanks all for the help and advise :)

Thats great :)
    They are worse then kids I swear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Can I ask though, I'm not having a go, just really curious, why do you have her on a large dog puppy food. I wouldn't have thought that a lab or a whippet would be classed as a large dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    Can I ask though, I'm not having a go, just really curious, why do you have her on a large dog puppy food. I wouldn't have thought that a lab or a whippet would be classed as a large dog.

Lots of brands would class a pup that'll grow to over 20 or so kgs as large and have a larger kibble size. Thanks thou - I don't think my retriever is large either - I thought it was just me :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    Lots of brands would class a pup that'll grow to over 20 or so kgs as large and have a larger kibble size. Thanks thou - I don't think my retriever is large either - I thought it was just me :D:pac:

Wow, 20kgs or over is large? So what weight would giant be?

Sorry OP, hijacking;)

ISDW wrote: »

She is a large bread pup until she is over 20kg and she is only 5 months so she has a long way to go until she hits adult food

Advertisement