Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick at wimbledon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Great stuff. First irishman in wimbledon singles since 1984 just shows what an achievement it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Great achievement!

I always hear Conor being described as a Limerick tennis player, but read somewhere that he was born in the UK. Is this true? Did he grow up here so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Niland is a very good friend of mine and have known him for about 15 years.

to answer the above, he was born in birmingham, but moved to lim shortly after his birth. we were in school in crescent college together.

superb achievement for himself, limerick and ireland and i hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Cheers for that info. Didn't realise he went to Crescent. He seems like a nice guy and seems to be an upward curve. Hopefully we will be hearing a lot more of him in the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

niceview wrote: »
    Cheers for that info. Didn't realise he went to Crescent. He seems like a nice guy and seems to be an upward curve. Hopefully we will be hearing a lot more of him in the future!
    Probably not, he's 29 right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Yeah he seems to be having something of an Indian Summer in his career. 29 would be considered quite old in tennis.

Great achievement though. Been slogging away for years getting scant coverage. Deserves his moment in the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Believe i used to regularily argue with him back on oxygen.ie back in the student days :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

AlanOB wrote: »
    29 would be considered quite old in tennis.
    Same age as Federer who Niland beat many years ago, would be nice to see him going all the way or even to the semis.
    I wonder does he regret studying English in Berkeley instead of concentrating on his pro tennis career?
    I wish him all the best no matter how far he gets, here's hoping he knocks Nadal and Federer out first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

He's doing really well. Won the first set and its 4 games a piece in the 2nd (games going with serve). Lives scores here - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fair play to him, he's playing a great match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Two sets to One to Niland!!!!

Edit: Two sets down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Two sets to One to Niland!!!! :D

He's 2 sets to 1 down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

4-1 up in the final set and he somehow contrives to lose it, conceding 5 games on the trot. Very disappointing.

But hey at least he went out with a bang rather than a whimper. Very exciting match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

exciting game, but yeah, some collapse at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Think the pace of the game and the length of the game got to him.

Still though, he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Yeah, hat's off to Niland! It was a good run by him. I hope he gets some recognition of his achievements when he gets back to Limerick.

Advertisement