Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Trilla wrote: »
    Jonathan Greening ftw

champions league winner he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liamo what did you make of valencias stats at Wigan were they what's expected of a united winger?
    his stats still aren't what's expected of a United winger. His overall play is excellent though and is a big reason that Fabio looked so comfortable towards the end of the season with the defensive work he puts in. Young is an attacker, he's not on the field to do anything else in one of the most attacking teams in the league.

Valencia at Wigan was on a relegation team and an attack where all he does is relieve pressure on the defense and allows them to be organised is a success. I know it wasn't just Young but he is Villa's MVP and a lot of responsibility for their poorness last season has to go to him imo.

Valencia still should score more goals though and I feel isn't greedy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Where did I mention Valencia* at Wigan though?

I only mentioned Valencia with United. Young's stats are still better, man.

So going by your own logic
    1. United are a better team so it's going to be easier for Valencia to impress and
    2. Young was still doing better, even at Villa.

*Don't get me wrong, I still think Valencia is a super winger.

That particular bit wasn't directed at you.

Young is a more creative winger than Valencia that is true, but they are different types of wingers - Val is solid and unspectacular, Young has much more flair. People were making out that Valencia had done nothing at Wigan. I was pointing out that that's not true.
    I think Nani is a fantastic player, and I'm usually the first one to defend him here, but to say he isn't ineffective on the left (relative to the right wing performances), is just plain wrong imho.
    It doesn't matter about relative to the right wing, he is still very good on the left.

Between January and September 2010 (when Valencia got his injury) Nani started on the left in the league games against: Burnley; Arsenal; Wolves; Portsmouth; Liverpool; Fulham; Spurs; Blackburn; Bolton and Newcaslte and in the CL games against: Bayern (x1); Milan (x1) (all info from football-lineups.com). That was part of his serious period of form at the club - which continued when Valencia got injured - and, as you can see a lot of it was on the left. For some reason you have just forgotten about it.
    Hmmm, number 10? I suggested we need him on the left.

I like my wingers to be capable of pulling out a piece of magic, especially when our central midfield isn't creative enough for my liking.

Ah, I thought you were suggesting he would be useful filling in in the advanced centre role when you referred to us not having a lot of creativity in the centre. If I understand it right, you were talking about our problems in centre midfield. If so, then a creative winger isn't going to solve that or cover up for the problem. Why spend £20m on an ineffective way of covering up for the problem rather than just put the money towards trying to solve the problem?
    People (not you in particular Pro. F, generally I mean), condemning Young before he has kicked a ball for us is a bit much. He will be a very effective player for us imo.
    Surely people can discuss a proposed transfer. And I'm not sure that anybody has condemned Young.

Personally I think he is a good player, but £20m when you consider his form and contract seems like poor value to me. One of United's biggest failings in the transfer market is the value we get on purchases and sales imo. This is looking set to be another example. I'm not saying that he will do badly for us, I'm saying we are looking like we will be spending more on him then we need to.

Re Twitter: A mate of mine, who is always full of shít and hangs out with a group of lads who are always talking bollocks about transfers that they know nothing about and nothing ever comes of what they say, has said that United are going to sign X player. What do ye think of that? <
    That is what Twitter rumours are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

markc91 wrote: »
    Of course someone calling himself TransferUpdate :rolleyes:

well he has not really said anything yet that has not been reported elsewhere so is hard to know if he is valid or not. nobody really calling bulls*it on him yet and his followers are growing

it could be rodwell or diarra as ive been expecting for a few days, but as i have said many times, i do expect one totally surprise bid and its not Xabi Alonso.

this is wrecking my head now, i just wish united got their business done like 2007 and fergie comes out and says that is that. i dont believe any rumour apart until the jersey is held up, but sometimes i do get giddy when this sort of thing goes on....i wish it was august :(

he has said its defour....which i dont believe one bit and i hope its not true...and 25million! ffs....an unproven belgian player....jaysus, what next? we launch a 28million bid ot buy back gibson. good lord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just in case anyone gives a shít, the ''exclusive'' from TransferUpdate is Steven Defour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The suspense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

he has said its defour....which i dont believe one bit and i hope its not true...and 25million! ffs...

That's a daft amount, as he'd been in negotiations with Spartak Moscow for a fee of only £15 million apparently. £25 million is absurd.

Probably BS anyway.

well he has not really said anything yet that has not been reported elsewhere so is hard to know if he is valid or not. nobody really calling bulls*it on him yet and his followers are growing.

So what if his followers are growing? You yourself know that twitter is full of eejits with nothing better to do. Didn't you start a rumour yourself?

It's getting annoying now. I know twitter is shíte, you know it, everybody on this thread knows it and yet people are still reporting every little bit of crap that comes out of it.

I'm all for a bit of gossip, but it's getting ridiculous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

TransferUpdate's profile is hillarious:
    I can't reveal myself. Hence I can only remain anonymous and share with you what I know. You can choose not to believe what I tweet, but my motive is to share.

After reading that every time he tweets i am going to hear:

"can i have your attention please....i have just received a tweet from the anonymous transfer updater"

rawgenman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pro. F wrote: »
    So what if his followers are growing? You yourself know that twitter is fool of eejits with nothing better to do. Didn't you start a rumour yourself?

It's getting annoying now. I know twitter is shíte, you know it, everybody on this thread knows it and yet people are still reporting every little bit of crap that comes out of it.

I'm all for a bit of gossip, but it's getting ridiculous now.

+ eleventy billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Defour at 25million? No chance in hell that is true. Hasn't he agreed to sign for Spartak Moscow anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't think he has agreed the move to Moscow ,25m is a joke ,10 to 15m maybe.

flahavaj wrote: »
    + eleventy billion.

People just need to learn how to use it.

You wouldn't come on here spoutig random crap you heard from that weird stranger in the pub; the same applies to twitter. There is a lot of crap, but there are also some very decent sources of infomration. If you filter the rubbish out, and learn who to follow, it gets to be a great communication tool.

You wouldn't come on here spoutig random crap you heard from that weird stranger in the pub; the same applies to twitter. There is a lot of crap, but there are also some very decent sources of infomration. If you filter the rubbish out, and learn who to follow, it gets to be a great communication tool.

If people even tried to stick to reporting the good stuff on here I'm sure it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just to row in about that particular tweeter @TransferUpdate, he's clearly a troll of some sort, most likely a fan of a "rival" club as the vast majority of his tweets are regarding United. Imo, he's just deliberately winding Utd fans up and causing sh!t so I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

For the most part with regard to twitter I follow a lot of the guys on here (easily found through Mars Bar's list) as well as a lot of the journos based in manchester or the guardian/independant/times. Also avoid searching for #mufc as you are bound to get buckets of ****e with that. For the most part I get reliable enough gossip but nothing outrageous or annoying. I like the muppetry and dreaming that goes on in the summer to a certain extent but I can see how twitter could drive you over the edge if you werent using it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Even Wikipedia is hinting that Defour will join us:

In late 2009 Defour broke his right foot. During his period of recovery he received a letter from Sir Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, wishing him all the best in his recovery.[2] This led to persistent rumours of a switch to the English giants. On 26 October talking to talksport Defour refuted these rumours by saying "I do know that Manchester United are monitoring me - if everything goes well and I continue playing as I am, there is a better chance of me leaving than there was at the start of the season. "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Defour has only recently signed a 5 yr contract with Standard so if we are linked to him then we wont get him for less than 20m imo.

Its just a twitter rumour anyway so its prob bullcrap.

"He (Cesc) is doing everything he can to come (here)," the Barça president told Catalan station TV3 on Monday night.

"Guardiola knows the values of players and Cesc's is less than 40 million (euros). Barcelona will offer less and if they (Arsenal) don't accept, then he won't come. Pep knows the club is not well-off in terms of money."

They why are they bidding for Sanchez ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Discodog wrote: »
    "He (Cesc) is doing everything he can to come (here)," the Barça president told Catalan station TV3 on Monday night.

"Guardiola knows the values of players and Cesc's is less than 40 million (euros). Barcelona will offer less and if they (Arsenal) don't accept, then he won't come. Pep knows the club is not well-off in terms of money."

They why are they bidding for Sanchez ?
    Because they know that the only place Cesc will go after Arsenal is to them and they can afford to wait another year for him...maybe two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

kmart6 wrote: »
    Because they know that the only place Cesc will go after Arsenal is to them and they can afford to wait another year for him...maybe two!

+1

Barca don't need him for another few years... he'd spend a lot of time on the bench if he went there now.

Created this list for witter sources. There are a number of other people I like to read and chat to on Twitter, but the ones in that list would be good sources for football/man united news. http://twitter.com/#!/TScorpio/man-united-sources

If anyone is on twitter, and has recommendations for other people to add to that list - good sources of news - let me know and I will add them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think I might tweet that Messi and Xavi are signing for United for 95 million in total.......just for craic.....you just know somebody will believe it, although I think I only have about 16 followers and they mostly god knows who lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think I might tweet that Messi and Xavi are signing for United for 95 million in total.......just for craic.....you just know somebody will believe it, although I think I only have about 16 followers and they mostly god knows who lol.

What about Iniesta,dont forget to include him :D

What about Iniesta,dont forget to include him :D

Ya, actually I will feck it why not loads will believe me I have up price now though;).....I go 130 million lol

Some rumours hitting the net that United have agreed a fee with PSG for Berbatov, and it is now up to the player.

Massive news from a United standpoint.

Currently I would have him second choice to Hernandez, but if we do sell him we will be weak up front imo. I do want Welbeck to get a chance, but at the same time I don't think that Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Owen (and maybe Kiko) are a strong enough front line.

I thought Berbatov could be a casualty of a possible Sanchez signing - Sanchez playing AMC behind Rooney for example so taking the second striker role - but that transfer looks dead at this point, if it ever had a chance. Again, a signing like Pastore (not linked at all recently) would lead to a similar situation imo.

If we do sell Berbatov, we surely have to be getting a big name player in to replace him - I would be shocked and deeply disappointed if we sold him without a replacement coming in.

Some rumours hitting the net that United have agreed a fee with PSG for Berbatov, and it is now up to the player.

Currently I would have him second choice to Hernandez, but if we do sell him we will be weak up front imo. I do want Welbeck to get a chance, but at the same time I don't think that Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Owen (and maybe Kiko) are a strong enough front line.

I thought Berbatov could be a casualty of a possible Sanchez signing - Sanchez playing AMC behind Rooney for example so taking the second striker role - but that transfer looks dead at this point, if it ever had a chance. Again, a signing like Pastore (not linked at all recently) would lead to a similar situation imo.

If we do sell Berbatov, we surely have to be getting a big name player in to replace him - I would be shocked and deeply disappointed if we sold him without a replacement coming in.

PSG? Jesus I just cant believe that one.

Although then again god knows, but surely that be right step back for Berba, French league is good but not that good.

PSG? Jesus I just cant believe that one.

Although then again god knows, but surely that be right step back for Berba, French league is good but not that good.
    PSG are owned/ran by the Qatar Wealth Fund crowd (linked heavily with United in the past) so they have a massive, MASSIVE amount of cash at their disposal. Paris and a lot of money may tempt Berbatov.

Can you filter out retweets?

• Advertisement

might mean we also get a decent fee for him, hopefully circa £15m...

Trilla wrote: »
    Can you filter out retweets?

I don't think so - which is a real issue when people start retweeting people like Kop5Manc3....

Liam O wrote: »
    might mean we also get a decent fee for him, hopefully circa £15m...

Rumours I am reading say about 12million, which is disappointing to be honest.

Mainly I would wonder what the plan is if we do sell him. replace him with a striker or an AMC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Either way is fine.

Rooney is fantastic right up top or dropping deep.

Rumours I am reading say about 12million, which is disappointing to be honest.

Mainly I would wonder what the plan is if we do sell him. replace him with a striker or an AMC?
    Welbeck looked really impressive in the U21s looked like a level above the other England lads. Maybe Owen to get more gametime when Chico's out and play Rooney in the advanced role with someone (Young, Nani, Giggs etc.) in the hole sometimes?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Either way is fine.

Rooney is fantastic right up top or dropping deep.

but who is there?

Benzema will immediately get linked. There was talk of Higuain being available too. David Villa has, shockingly, been linked with a move away to fund the sanchez/fabregas moves - and he'd be very interesting. Hulk and Falcao could be on the way from Porto with the majority of the management team leaving.

In terms of AMC, Pastore and Sneijder are the two I would reckon would be linked the most. Don't know if either are realistic at this point. Can't really think of anyone else. Maybe a player like Neymar, but he will end up at Chelsea or Real I suppose.

• Advertisement

Berba for 15m plus is a result in my eyes. Sad to see him go but it will be worth it
    I don't think so - which is a real issue when people start retweeting people like Kop5Manc3....

It has its holes and torments, I dont usually check it unless someone or some artical has circled their story around it

but who is there?

Benzema will immediately get linked. There was talk of Higuain being available too. David Villa has, shockingly, been linked with a move away to fund the sanchez/fabregas moves - and he'd be very interesting. Hulk and Falcao could be on the way from Porto with the majority of the management team leaving.

In terms of AMC, Pastore and Sneijder are the two I would reckon would be linked the most. Don't know if either are realistic at this point. Can't really think of anyone else. Maybe a player like Neymar, but he will end up at Chelsea or Real I suppose.
    I said it before that if Higuain is available at any price under £30 million Real's arm should be bitten off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I wont believe any of this Berbatov talk until TransferUpdate guy on Twitter confirms it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Well define linked...

Saw a baseless article today linking us and City with him. Zamparini is as stubborn as Pozzo when it comes to the transfer fee and is demanding no less than €50M. He is keeping it very public just like Pozzo has done with Sanchez.

Some quotes from Zamparini recently;
    "Chelsea was a club that we had a major offer from,'' Zamparini is quoted as saying in the Spanish press. "It did not reach the minimum figure that we set for a player of his quality.

If someone wants to buy Pastore, the price is €50 million [£44m].

There are five or six clubs also interested, including [Manchester] City and big clubs from Spain and Italy, but so far there has been nothing from them."

And quotes from Pastore;
    "Going to Palermo was very important for my career and I hope to continue doing well over the next few years," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"My future will be decided after the Copa America I will talk with president Maurizio Zamparini and my agent, then we'll work out what to do."

So potentially his future won't be resolved until after 24 July obviously depending on how well Argentina perform.
    PSG are owned/ran by the Qatar Wealth Fund crowd (linked heavily with United in the past) so they have a massive, MASSIVE amount of cash at their disposal. Paris and a lot of money may tempt Berbatov.

Ya the Qatari's bought 80% of PSG recently. I'd say they are trying to replicate the actions of Malaga (another Qatari venture) and buy established players.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Started my own little rumour there that we've made an offer for Alonso and Diarra :pac:

• Advertisement

Welbeck looked really impressive in the U21s looked like a level above the other England lads. Maybe Owen to get more gametime when Chico's out and play Rooney in the advanced role with someone (Young, Nani, Giggs etc.) in the hole sometimes?

If no one was signed to replace, we could have:

Young-Rooney-Nani
    Hernandez

Valencia-Cleverley-Welbeck
    Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One would assume a replacement is lined up for Berba if rumours are true.
    Would be disappo9inted to see him go without a replacement coming in.

His form before Xmas was great,him and Nani carried us through before Rooney and Chico took over......

If no one was signed to replace, we could have:

Young-Rooney-Nani
    Hernandez

Valencia-Cleverley-Welbeck
    Owen
    Macheda will also get a fair few games at least early on I'd say.

I prefer Welbeck as a striker too, he's very good in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Macheda will also get a fair few games at least early on I'd say.

I prefer Welbeck as a striker too, he's very good in the air.

Chico will get rested early doors so Macheda and Owen will get plenty game time first 4/5 weeks.

RTE are now reporting the Sanchez to Barca deal as 80% done with the player due their tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, I think it's really awful if we've sold Berbatov without him agreeing to the move before. If he's been told about this just because PSG bid, I'd be very disappointed.

Despite the fact that he's not hit his heights, he has given everything to United. It's not his fault Fergie didn't want to play a system that suited his style. Ultimately, he was never going to work with the way we were set up, and we effectively wasted three years of his career, of his prime.

Worst of all for me, if we are now facing a situation where Owen is third choice striker, I'll be ****ing infuriated. Replacing the leagues top scorer with Owen, who aside from being an utter disappointed in his performances, is from Liverpool, is just disgraceful. Let's see what happens though.

but who is there?

All of those would be poor choice of replacement for Berba imo. They would all either be looking for regular starts and kick up fuss if they don't get them or cost so much that it would be a waste bringing them in to sit them on the bench.

Rooney and Chico are a success story of last season and their partnership should remain first choice imo. Yes Berba cost a fortune and it is a bit ridiculous having him on the bench, but that is the situation we have found ourselves in and I don't think we should be looking to spend even more money and only unsettling our first choice pair.

As it stands Rooney and Chico backed up by Berba and Welbeck looks like the perfect balance to me. And then Owen and Kiko to make up the numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PHB wrote: »
    I must say, I think it's really awful if we've sold Berbatov without him agreeing to the move before. If he's been told about this just because PSG bid, I'd be very disappointed.

Despite the fact that he's not hit his heights, he has given everything to United. It's not his fault Fergie didn't want to play a system that suited his style. Ultimately, he was never going to work with the way we were set up, and we effectively wasted three years of his career, of his prime.

Worst of all for me, if we are now facing a situation where Owen is third choice striker, I'll be ****ing infuriated. Replacing the leagues top scorer with Owen, who aside from being an utter disappointed in his performances, is from Liverpool, is just disgraceful. Let's see what happens though.
    You have a serious stick up your arse about Owen don't ya? When he does actually play he's usually one of the best on the pitch imo, but I suppose people will see only what they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

If reports that Moutinho is following VB to Chelsea are true then I wonder would that leave us in pole position for Modric. Both are very similar players so I couldn't se why Chelsea would spend over £30m on each player which is what the would cost IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

These are not the transfer updates I want to be reading about :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement