Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Valencia still should score more goals though and I feel isn't greedy enough

valencia is one of the best wingers in the prem without a doubt, lets not forget he came back from a career threatening injury too last season.

he is the only united wide player aswell as giggs (not really a winger anymore though) who can actually cross a ball, nani,evra etc cant beat the 1st man with there crosses.

valencia is a no nonense type winger where he will beat the man and get the ball in the box and thats all we want, i think he is the best crosser of the ball at united since beckham if im honest.

but i agree he isnt greedy enough but i reckon that will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I hope Valencia doesn't change a thing. As long as he keeps bursting down to the line and putting the ball into the path or onto the head of Chicarooney, then he's doing the job he's there to do.

A traditional winger like Valencia is the perfect compliment for our front 2 imo

We can have our unorthodox winger like Young or Nani on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

being looking at 2011/12 fixtures and planning a few games.with work and money i dont fancy monday night games and at a push the 4 o clock K.O on a Sunday. ( i know im a being picky ).

just noticed we have 6 home games after all the CL games this side of xmas.
    Chelsea
    Norwich
    City
    Sunderland
    Newcastle
    Wolves
    imo that means the above games have a bigger chance of a sunday/monday KO.
    good news for SAF that were at home as i think 2 years ago we had 5 or 6 away games after the CL games and struggled in a few of them.

for the record we have 6 away games before the CL.
    Bolton
    Stoke
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Swansea
    Villa.

also we got 2 home games over xmas

DEC 26th Wigan
    DEC 31st Blackburn.

do the airlines and ferry companies run normal services on these dates or is it special charted flights.

Finally 3 of our PL games may clash with FA cup dates.

6th rd is MAR 17th = wolves away
    SEMI is April 14/15= Villa home
    FINAL is MAY 5th = Swansea home

the Stoke home game is Tue Jan 31st.

going on the above i reckon we could have very few 3 o clock KO again at OT again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I dont understand the talk of Berbatov leaving being possible unless Fergie has something already in the works.

I taught for the second half of last season he was really un used and i felt sorry for the leagues top scorer just sitting on the bench.

Whatever anyone says about how hard he works in games hes done everything he could of at United and the way he plays did not always suit our system. I hope if he does leave he does well for rest his career with someone else but be an awful shame to have such a skill full unselfish player leave the club this way and for us to not have a proper replacement.

Owen or Kico are not in Berbatov s league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Josh King gone on a season loan to

Borussia Monchenglabach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

PHB wrote: »
    I must say, I think it's really awful if we've sold Berbatov without him agreeing to the move before. If he's been told about this just because PSG bid, I'd be very disappointed.

Despite the fact that he's not hit his heights, he has given everything to United. It's not his fault Fergie didn't want to play a system that suited his style. Ultimately, he was never going to work with the way we were set up, and we effectively wasted three years of his career, of his prime.

Worst of all for me, if we are now facing a situation where Owen is third choice striker, I'll be ****ing infuriated. Replacing the leagues top scorer with Owen, who aside from being an utter disappointed in his performances, is from Liverpool, is just disgraceful. Let's see what happens though.

I can't understand the hate you have of owen. I like having him as a back up. I like seeing him score goals and win trophies. I like the idea of him ringing up his mates back in liverpool to explain what it's like to be part of a title winning team. I like the disgust in the faces of liverpool supporters when they see their former golden boy wearing united's jersey. All in all it's a win win situation. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

blueshed wrote: »
    Josh King gone on a season loan to

Borussia Monchenglabach

just reading they barley stayed in the german prem division this year - strange place to send a fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Some more United tweeters to add to Mitchs list:

Alan_Tonge
    ManUnitedYouth - Follows reserves etc.
    DTGuardian - like him or not he has his finger on the pulse for United and City news.
    thisistheone99 - Follows reserves etc.
    DoronSalomon - Youths / Reserves expert

I didn't see any of those on your list Mitch. Aside from them, the rest are just the usual journalists, sprinkled with players and ITK's (lol).

About Berba leaving, I would be concerned that the fact he's about to enter the last year of his contract and talks haven't even been mentioned in relation to him extending that there has to be a chance SAF wants rid of him.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I don't really like Owen but even still, I wouldn't be too fussed if Berbatov leaves. A fine player, but is not an integral part of Utd's system.

He's a nice-to-have, not an essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

valencia is one of the best wingers in the prem without a doubt, lets not forget he came back from a career threatening injury too last season.

he is the only united wide player aswell as giggs (not really a winger anymore though) who can actually cross a ball, nani,evra etc cant beat the 1st man with there crosses.

Nani got 18 assists last year without being able to cross a ball......imagine if he could cross it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The Berba one is a strange one for me. I have found it really hard to warm to him but I think a lot of his problems have been living up to the transfer fee which was just not his fault.

I was disappointed that his arrival meant that Tevez was pushed down the order BUT Berba played a massive part for us in winning the title last season and so I really now would want him to stay and if he does leave we must get a replacement in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Where is this Berbatov story coming from. Do people not give links to stories anymore just because its Summer? Hard to put much faith in a rumour when even the Muppets on the Caf haven't heard about it yet.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Nani got 18 assists last year without being able to cross a ball......imagine if he could cross it.
    Valencia is not a good crosser of the ball either contrary to what he says in that post you quoted. I don't understand why Nani is not played on the right all the time. He has been outstanding for United playing there. I like Valencia a lot but for me Nani is a much better player.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Valencia is not a good crosser of the ball either contrary to what he says in that post you quoted. I don't understand why Nani is not played on the right all the time. He has been outstanding for United playing there. I like Valencia a lot but for me Nani is a much better player.

Its cause Valencia on the right + Nani left > Nani right + alternative left imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Its cause Valencia on the right + Nani left > Nani right + alternative left imo
    not really, Valencia was preferred to Nani in all the big games towards the end of the season and to be fair he did excel in the Chelsea games. He clearly didn't suit the system playing Barca though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eagle eye wrote: »

xzibit_meme-7219.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

flahavaj wrote: »
    Where is this Berbatov story coming from. Do people not give links to stories anymore just because its Summer? Hard to put much faith in a rumour when even the Muppets on the Caf haven't heard about it yet.......

Daily Mail ran 2 stories back on 3rd June, one saying "PSG chasing Berbatov" then another saying "Berbatov to snub PSG"

Then today, Daily Star regurgitated the story saying PSG are "preparing" a bid for him.

If your looking for quotes or evidence then you won't find any.

Quandary wrote: »
    I hope Valencia doesn't change a thing. As long as he keeps bursting down to the line and putting the ball into the path or onto the head of Chicarooney, then he's doing the job he's there to do.

A traditional winger like Valencia is the perfect compliment for our front 2 imo

We can have our unorthodox winger like Young or Nani on the left.

very true thats what he is great at, he is very explosive and powerful too which is a great trait in any winger look at ronaldo. ( im not comparing just stating that both are powerful wingers)

its not that i want him to be more greedy in a way that will stop him getting his crosses and being effective but you can argue valencia gets in some excellent positions to shoot and will try look for a pass instead, i think thats his only flaw really and the fact he appears to be extremely one footed but some of the best ever were 1 footed so that doesn't bother me at all really but it is funny to watch sometimes because he will just not use his left leg no matter what the situation is.

Liam O wrote: »
    not really, Valencia was preferred to Nani in all the big games towards the end of the season and to be fair he did excel in the Chelsea games. He clearly didn't suit the system playing Barca though

Not really sure I get your point. In maybe 70%+ of the games in the season had both been fit it would have been Nani left Val right, that to me is a cert. The only reason Nani missed out was due to defensive responsibility that Park brought.

My point is that the only reason that Nani plays left, even though he is way better on the right, was cause it allows both him and Valencia to play which is optimum for us in most of the games we play.

Rooney10 wrote: »

he got a fair amount of assists this season ye and fair play to him, but honestly 8 times out of ten he will fail to deliver a good cross especially on corners.

he gets plenty of the ball when he is playing so he should really do a lot more with it he can be very wasteful for a player who claims he has filled ronaldo's boots aswell as hyping himself up to be a future world player of the year.

im not picking on him but i just think he is average, he's not a kid anymore and has had time to settle its about time he finds some consistency and last season was a huge improvement but its still not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Journalist from Canal tv in France says Berba fee has been agreed. :(

i cant believe you said that, i said it above valencia is our best crosser since beckham and infact gary neville who could deliver a top class cross aswell. im not sure of valencia's stats a far as assists this season but i do know he compliments chico and wazza a lot more than nani, last season when rooney was getting all them goals a fair share of them were down to valencia and his ability to beat a man and get the ball in the box.

i know nani has finished with a load of assists this year but when valencia is not in the team and we have to rely on nani for delivery we just dont know what we are going to get, wazza and chico could be waiting all day for nani to whip in the ball where as valencia will just do it and not try and beat several players again and again like nani.

but as said above i do like having both on the wings, one unorthodox and one straight shooter there's no harm in that, nani is a better player technically than valencia ye but he isnt more effective and doesn't benefit the team as much as valencia in my opinion and we all know its a team game.
    Journalist from Canal tv in France says Berba fee has been agreed.

i really taught that was just paper talk, il be shocked if berba moves to france where the football isnt as strong as england and spain etc. to be honest i think la liga would be perfect for berba he would get a lot more time on the ball aswell as being able to play at his pace.

if he ges we are down another striker, i honestly cant see welbeck or macheda being hits at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eugeneious wrote: »

Doesn't mean Berba will want to go though...

mars bar wrote: »
    Doesn't mean Berba will want to go though...

But it does mean the club want him to. I hope he stays and if he doesn't we surely have to sign a top class striker. As well as that we need a top class midfielder... Hopefully the Glazers start shíting money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Though im not a big fan of berba I thought he did really well for us this season and unless we have a very good striker lined up to replace him I wouldn't like to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

he got a fair amount of assists this season ye and fair play to him, but honestly 8 times out of ten he will fail to deliver a good cross especially on corners.

he gets plenty of the ball when he is playing so he should really do a lot more with it he can be very wasteful for a player who claims he has filled ronaldo's boots aswell as hyping himself up to be a future world player of the year.

im not picking on him but i just think he is average, he's not a kid anymore and has had time to settle its about time he finds some consistency and last season was a huge improvement but its still not enough.

League winners and final of champions league. Argubaly our best player of the season is average and his performances are still not good enough lol surely your joking. Most assists in the league. Really people need to look past their dislike for a player and appreciate his talent. He is our best winger and out of interest if Nani is average who do you rank as the 5 best wingers in the league. Unless you think theirs no good wingers in the league.

This is all 'ifs and buts' at the moment but...

IF we did sell Berba and IF Fergie has decided to switch to 4-3-3 and IF he wants to play Rooney at the top of that formation then we don't necessarily need a striker replacement, more an attacking midfielder would be the necessity.

Of course that is just one scenario of many possible ones so I'll wait until there are further developments to comment anymore on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so berba could be one of the 2 high profile casualties being talked about though im not so sure he will leave just yet...

if it does happen, its hard to know what fergie will do, replace him with Welbeck an attacking midfielder to play that role behind the strikers, i think that is what we will do, but ive always been saying fergie wants benzema and im sticking to that, so i expect us to make a bid to sign him for the 3rd summer in a row.

this must be the most crazy united summer of all time, the amount of bids, deals, and rumours is at a new level. its a journalists dream.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    League winners and final of champions league. Argubaly our best player of the season is average and his performances are still not good enough lol surely your joking. Most assists in the league. Really people need to look past their dislike for a player and appreciate his talent. He is our best winger and out of interest if Nani is average who do you rank as the 5 best wingers in the league. Unless you think theirs no good wingers in the league.

Look Nani is what he is, I've often heard people describe what makes him so good is his unpredictability. Now I would prefer if he was predictably brilliant rather than excitingly unpredictably.

Nani had his best season yet for Utd and, as has been said, was arguably our best player last season but he is, unquestionably, an infuriating player due to his tendency to overplay the ball at times. Who hasn't seen Rooney going nuts after Nani has excessively delayed or 'dilly dallied' on the ball. I don't recall Rooney getting frustrated with other teammates to the same extent last season.

His lack of defensive discipline has cost him his place in the team at times too, no bigger example than the CL Final for that.

Nani is also, unquestionably, a very talented player who is capable of the spectacular. He just has to add better discipline and decision-making to his game and I have no doubt we will all be singing off the same him sheet then as regards his contribution and importance to the team.

using the selection process for the CL final is not a good yardstick for anything. fergie got alot wrong that night....alot...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Wasn't the price of Sneijder reported to be too high? Or was that just more daily fail..

In any case, there could be extra funds if anything comes of this.

This has to be a precursor to going after a high priority target, it'd be madness otherwise.

using the selection process for the CL final is not a good yardstick for anything. fergie got alot wrong that night....alot...

what would you have done out of interest?

So you don't think Nani's inability to do his defensive duties cost him his place in the starting XI?

IF Nani was as disciplined in defence as Valencia is, he would have started instead of Valencia IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Samba wrote: »
    Wasn't the price of Sneijder reported to be too high? Or was that just more daily fail..

In any case, there could be extra funds if anything comes of this.

This has to be a precursor to going after a high priority target, it'd be madness otherwise.

I think its his wages that are the problem, well, thats what the rumors say.

Nuts102 wrote: »

he was arguably our best player of the season along with berba for the 1st half of the season then the whole consistency barrier broke through again, its no good being class for a few games and then going of the boil for the business end of the season is it?

you could argue that nani didnt really play a big of part as others in the more crucial games in the 2nd half of the season couldn't you..nani may have added the assists to his game this season but he left his goal scoring boots at home this year, when was the last time he scored again?

i dont have any dislike for nani, he is an excellent player to have in our team but he is no world beater the fact he goes missing in big games proves my point an example of this was at anfeild earlier on this season where he was a disgrace, carragher done him a favor with that tackle nani couldnt wait to get of the pitch he was that bad. Also He has certainly not filled ronaldo's boots by any means which he seems to think he has.

this is the thing im not anti-nani, i do like him but i think for a club of uniteds stature his performances have to be better, for the record of the top of my head here are 5 wingers who are all arguably better than nani.

valencia
    malouda
    park (maybe not ability wise but he is a team player and very effective)
    silva
    bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow

Did they mention the price?

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    what would you have done out of interest?

at least matched them man for man in midfield, we had park and carrick up against the best midfield in the world, and it was 2 v 3....

simple really. the changes should have been made at half time then to redeem himself, but he ignored the problems, we need 3 subs at half time, though had he picked right from the start, we wouldnt have needed them. i would not have started hernandez, brought him on with 30 mins to go and i would have had berba on the bench.

that game was crying for proper tactics and we had zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If half of these potential transfers go through it would be the biggest shake up in the club in my living memory. Losing VDS, Scholes, Hargo, Brown, Gibbo, JOS and Berbs would be quite the clear out and you got to feel Diouf and Obertan might go too.

It would be very strange from Fergie to make such sweeping changes to a league winning side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If half of these potential transfers go through it would be the biggest shake up in the club in my living memory. Losing VDS, Scholes, Hargo, Brown, Gibbo, JOS and Berbs would be quite the clear out and you got to feel Diouf and Obertan might go too.

It would be very strange from Fergie to make such sweeping changes to a league winning side.

He's rebuilding it. He has the money. The team will be Better, stronger, faster.

I know im going to be harsh here but the current team isnt good enough if you look through saf's past teams

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    wow

Did they mention the price?

Nope. A lot of people say it's around £12m but I haven't seen any credible journalist/source say this was true.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Who hasn't seen Rooney going nuts after Nani has excessively delayed or 'dilly dallied' on the ball. I don't recall Rooney getting frustrated with other teammates to the same extent last season.

His lack of defensive discipline has cost him his place in the team at times too, no bigger example than the CL Final for that.

Nani is also, unquestionably, a very talented player who is capable of the spectacular. He just has to add better discipline and decision-making to his game and I have no doubt we will all be singing off the same him sheet then as regards his contribution and importance to the team.
    There is so much wrong with this post I'll take the beginning off as it made no sense. He doesn't lack defensive discipline. Anyone who says that is either thinking of Ronaldo or doesn't watch United enough.

Rooney has no right to give out to players for wayward shooting or overplaying after the tripe he served up when Nani was saving the teams ass early in the season. Using him as a barometer is again just silly.

The wing role is one that people don't seem to grasp everything wont come off because defenders and managers aren't stupid. They see the most skilled players on the wing and will focus attention there when they get the ball.

The winger to get space has to beat a player (minimum) and put in the perfect cross that evades at least (usually more than in the case of United) 2 defenders to be a successful attack. Nani generally either scores or sets up a goal every game he plays so is obviously getting it right at least once a game and if other players contribute too then it leads to a very successful team.

He can infuriate but what great attacking player doesn't? I know Ronaldo and Messi waste a tonne of chances and yet they keep being given the ball. This is because they know that keep giving these players the ball and they'll produce the goods. Nani is one of these players. A level below Ronaldo and Messi obviously but improving all the time and can reach a very high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

he was arguably our best player of the season along with berba for the 1st half of the season then the whole consistency barrier broke through again, its no good being class for a few games and then going of the boil for the business end of the season is it?

you could argue that nani didnt really play a big of part as others in the more crucial games in the 2nd half of the season couldn't you..nani may have added the assists to his game this season but he left his goal scoring boots at home this year, when was the last time he scored again?

i dont have any dislike for nani, he is an excellent player to have in our team but he is no world beater the fact he goes missing in big games proves my point an example of this was at anfeild earlier on this season where he was a disgrace, carragher done him a favor with that tackle nani couldnt wait to get of the pitch he was that bad. Also He has certainly not filled ronaldo's boots by any means which he seems to think he has.

this is the thing im not anti-nani, i do like him but i think for a club of uniteds stature his performances have to be better, for the record of the top of my head here are 5 wingers who are all arguably better than nani.

valencia
    malouda
    park (maybe not ability wise but he is a team player and very effective)
    silva
    bale

So Nani in the space of a few minutes went from being an average player and had an average season to being an excellent player to have in our team. If our best player this season is no world beater than why did we achieve what we did. Nani played brilliant the first half of the season and quite well most of the second half of the season he was poor the last few games more than likely due to tiredness and being played out of position. We couldnt afford to rest him when he was dragging us through matches when other players didnt step up. On the liverpool game i dont think Nani is the only player who should have hung his head in shame, but he was a player we needed on the field to get back into the game. Maybe you are right but i would like if you could show me these quotes of Nani saying he has filled Ronaldo's boots. I remember him saying when Ronaldo was here he was in his shadow and hoped he could step up and be as good as Ronaldo, when he left. Nani was our best player last season and is our most creative and best midfeilder, he is no Ronaldo but players like Ronaldo and Messi are freaks of nature and i dont expect Nani to ever be as good as Ronaldo.

Valencia is not as effective as Nani and not as good as most people will agree. Malouda if you are saying Nani only performed well in the first half of the season what about Malouda. He played well for the first 7 or 8 games and then done nothing and was in and out of the team. Park well i dont like to laugh at peoples opinions he is a good squad player i dont think i need to explain why Nani is better than Park. Silva is a very good player and i couldnt choose who is better. Bale besides 2 champions league games and a handful of league games was quite poor. He done nothing in the last 10 or so games of the season. Even Spurs fans laugh at him getting POTY. Bale is good player and potentially brilliant but not quite yet in the same league as Nani.

valencia Not better
    malouda LOL
    park (maybe not ability wise but he is a team player and very effective)Different player, definitely not better though
    silva Not a better winger, better through the center though
    bale Is stupidly overhyped and doesn't score or get near as many assists as Nani.
    Try again.

Regarding a replacement for Berba IF he goes and IF Fergie decides he'll sign a replacement, I think a possible bid for Eto'o? hinted at move to England but probably too high wages and too old (I know I'm a muppet for thinking it). Realistically I could maybe see Benzema coming in if Real are willing to sell. My dream would be Higuain or Aguero but I can't see it happening. Unless (as a previous poster pointed out) Fergie plans on switching to a 4-3-3 I think we MUST to sign a replacement. You can't just sell your top goalscorer who has plenty of experience and fill his position with a yet unproven at the highest level player (Welbeck) or a player who consistently struggles with injuries and only scored twice last year (owen). Do we really have the money to replace him if we are also going to sign a midfielder?

There is so much wrong with this post I'll take the beginning off as it made no sense.

Its a shame you couldn't grasp my first point hence your need to dismiss it.
    He doesn't lack defensive discipline. Anyone who says that is either thinking of Ronaldo or doesn't watch United enough.

No I'm talking about Nani and yes I watch plenty. I observe both the good and the bad traits of every player.
    Rooney has no right to give out to players for wayward shooting or overplaying after the tripe he served up when Nani was saving the teams ass early in the season. Using him as a barometer is again just silly.

Whether Rooney has a right or not doesn't change the fact that it happens.
    The wing role is one that people don't seem to grasp everything wont come off because defenders and managers aren't stupid. They see the most skilled players on the wing and will focus attention there when they get the ball.

The winger to get space has to beat a player (minimum) and put in the perfect cross that evades at least (usually more than in the case of United) 2 defenders to be a successful attack. Nani generally either scores or sets up a goal every game he plays so is obviously getting it right at least once a game and if other players contribute too then it leads to a very successful team.

Thanks for the lesson on the role of a winger. I haven't made Nani out to be a bad player. I've acknowledged his abilities but stated what he needs to improve to get to the next level.
    He can infuriate but what great attacking player doesn't? I know Ronaldo and Messi waste a tonne of chances and yet they keep being given the ball. This is because they know that keep giving these players the ball and they'll produce the goods. Nani is one of these players. A level below Ronaldo and Messi obviously but improving all the time and can reach a very high level.

My basic point was that he can infuriate and by the end of your post you are saying the same? Don't know why you bothered.

I've watched plenty of Messi and he doesn't infuriate me like Nani does. Ronaldo? A goal machine, simples as. If Nani starts scoring like he does then I'll take back what I said but chances are he won't so I stick by what I said.

• Advertisement

Its a shame you couldn't grasp my first point hence your need to dismiss it.

No I'm talking about Nani and yes I watch plenty. I observe both the good and the bad traits of every player.

Whether Rooney has a right or not doesn't change the fact that it happens.

Thanks for the lesson on the role of a winger. I haven't made Nani out to be a bad player. I've acknowledged his abilities but stated what he needs to improve to get to the next level.

My basic point was that he can infuriate and by the end of your post you are saying the same? Don't know why you bothered.

I've watched plenty of Messi and he doesn't infuriate me like Nani does. Ronaldo? A goal machine, simples as. If Nani starts scoring like he does then I'll take back what I said but chances are he won't so I stick by what I said.
    you haven't refuted anything I've said. You said he lacks defensive discipline, he just plain doesn't.

you said he overplays, well obviously if he's setting up goals and scoring in nearly every game he's right to 'overplay'.

You used Rooney's feelings as a gauge to his limitations. Again, Rooney is as big a ball hog as anyone, he's going to be disappointed he doesn't get the ball.

You say if he starts scoring as much as Ronaldo you'll overlook it. He creates more goals than Ronaldo ever came close to, he even did it when Ronaldo was at the club. Why can't you overlook his limitations then?

I never said he infuriates? He infuriates for the fact he overdoes it at times when he's tackled but with the amount he's absolutely hacked I don't blame him tbh. His overall play is not going to always come off but it is essential to the success of the team and he always produces at least one moment of magic in a game that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

(Apologies for this very long post, but there is a lot of crap about Nani that needs to be addressed.)

That is a staggeringly clueless statement. Did you really watch Nani playing for United last season?
    im not sure of valencia's stats a far as assists this season but i do know he compliments chico and wazza a lot more than nani, last season when rooney was getting all them goals a fair share of them were down to valencia and his ability to beat a man and get the ball in the box.

i know nani has finished with a load of assists this year but when valencia is not in the team and we have to rely on nani for delivery we just dont know what we are going to get, wazza and chico could be waiting all day for nani to whip in the ball where as valencia will just do it and not try and beat several players again and again like nani.
    Such a load of crap. Valencia is a good solid winger, but it is a total myth that he links up better with the strikers. In 09/10 he had a grand total of 9 assists, Nani had 10 in that season. The season just gone Nani blew that out of the water with 18, twice as many as Valencia achieved in that famous season where he supposedly linked up so well with the strikers.

This season Nani's consistency in terms of end product was superior to anything that Valencia has been able to provide in the past. In 33 league games Nani got 9 goals and 18 assists. That means in only 5 of the 33 league games he played did he fail to either score or assist. That is ridiculously consistent.

he gets plenty of the ball when he is playing so he should really do a lot more with it

No, you are just making shít up now. He gets no more of the ball than any of our wingers, but this season he has shown that he can produce more with it than any of them.

So you have a problem with his corners and you criticise him for it. What about Valencia's corners which are worse? Why aren't you mentioning that? Because you are letting your dislike of Nani cloud your judgement is why.

He only lacks defensive discipline in comparison to Valencia and Park, two of the best defensive wingers around. He has a perfectly normal level of defensiveness for a winger at this level.

No the whole consistency barrier did not break through. He was dropped for the returning Valencia and Park, despite the fact that he was still in top form. His run of excellent form in the team continued well into the second half of the season unlike what you have imagined for yourself. After the midpoint of the season Nani had 15 league starts and scored 4 goals and made 6 assists; most of them before he started to be dropped. So that's 10 important contributions in 15 starts (and negligible sub appearances) even though his run was interrupted and his form suffered when he started being dropped.

And you try to pretend that Nani didn't make any important contributions in the second half of the season - of the two goals we got against City, he scored one and assisted the other; he also scored and assisted to get us our two goals against Stoke; and assisted for the goal against Chelsea in the game we lost. Three important games where he did as much as anybody, securing the victory in two of them.

You claim that he has lost his goal scoring boots: He scored 10 this year, his best in a season so far. Valencia scored 7 last year (his best season). Nani is more of a goal threat than Valencia. That is obvious even without looking at how many they score.

I actually prefer Valencia over Nani, but that is only because of Nani's horrible injury faking and Valencia's solid, no nonsense attitude. In terms of technical ability they compliment each other well - one is very solid and slightly unspectacular, the other is a goal and assist machine. In terms of ability to provide crosses, assists and goals Nani is clearly ahead of Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Regarding a replacement for Berba IF he goes and IF Fergie decides he'll sign a replacement, I think a possible bid for Eto'o? hinted at move to England but probably too high wages and too old (I know I'm a muppet for thinking it). Realistically I could maybe see Benzema coming in if Real are willing to sell. My dream would be Higuain or Aguero but I can't see it happening. Unless (as a previous poster pointed out) Fergie plans on switching to a 4-3-3 I think we MUST to sign a replacement. You can't just sell your top goalscorer who has plenty of experience and fill his position with a yet unproven at the highest level player (Welbeck) or a player who consistently struggles with injuries and only scored twice last year (owen). Do we really have the money to replace him if we are also going to sign a midfielder?
    nullzero wrote: »
    I think this is the thread you're looking for... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873286

That Berbatov story sounds like a heap of crap, until I see him in a PSG shirt I'll be treating it very warily.
    I know he's been humming and hawwing over a new contract for a longer extention and we could cash in, but for 10m? With no top class supporting striker in the squad without him? Unless we sign a top striker he'll most likely stick around and accept a one year extention.

It sounds very plausible. Welbeck starred for Sunderland in the Premier League last year, pretty high level I think. Also one of the few England players to star in U21.

From seeing Hughes, Ince, Kanchelskis, Ronaldo go and United continue so well under Ferguson, Berbatov leaving wouldn't be such a huge shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Alright i cant believe how some peoples heads are high up in the clouds as far as how actually good of player nani is, i read above he is now a level below messi and ronaldo wait a minute wouldnt a rooney, fabergas, inesta or snider type player fit that level so lets gets this straight nani is in the same bracket as the players i just mentioned now? please be realistic he's had 1 good season nothing special or breath taking by any means.
    Try again.

who are you to questions anyone's opinion of who's a better a player or not.

try again? come on mate come of it.

since you seem to think you are the martin tyler of this thread go fetch nani's stats from previous seasons aswell as his performances in big games ..
    valencia Not better

matter of opinion, mine is he's hands down a better player than nani both attacking and defensively.
    malouda LOL

LOL your clueless, he still ended up with over 10 goals this season aswell as several assists.
    silva Not a better winger, better through the center though

He is just a better player no matter where he plays the fact he can play on the wing makes my point, he is actually an intelligent player something nani isnt, your claiming silvia is better through the center ofcourse he is when do we ever play nani through the center?
    Park Different player, definitely not

ofcourse they are different players, they all are LOL. They all have different playing styles if valencia was the same player as nani do you think fergie would have dropped him? LOL
    bale Is stupidly overhyped and doesn't score or get near as many assists as Nani.

mark my words bale will have a bigger impact in english football than nani ever will, i think most united fans would pick a 21 year old with huge potential over a 25 year old who is really tried and tested and is reaching his max as far as potential.if you dont believe me ask fergie why he signed young.

look im finishing it with this because i couldn't be arsed answering all the reply's.

i like nani he is a good player but as far as who's better etc well its just to opinion because you can throw all nani's stats for this season in my face but the point is park and valencia are more reliable and overall better for the team there tracking back and constant hounding of the opposition players is worth its weight in gold they proved this by being the preferred wingers in the business end of the season where the pressure might of got to nani just like it did at anfeild and when he came on against barca in the final when he panicked in the box and cost us a goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement