Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Lads there is no footballer I dislike more than Gerrard (in a purely footballing manner, not the actual man). But there is no way he would have acted like Nani did in that game. Yes Gerrard dives. Yes Carragher committed a terrible tackle that was as blatant a red card as you'll ever see. But Nani behaved like a prized prat. He was embarrassing that day.

Though I was more annoyed that he handed Liverpool a 2-0 lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are just making stuff up to criticise him with. He is not defensively slack. He gets back, he tracks runs and he makes tackles. He is not brilliant at it, but he is definitely good enough. In terms of defending he compares favourably to most other wingers in the league. Valencia and Park are better at it then him, but they are outstanding defensive wingers.

I think he could do more defensively. You don't. Thats fine.
    Your comparison to Barca is pointless. They play a completely different style. Their dominant control of possession on their own terms allows them to save the energy to close down so aggressively when they don't have the ball. Go google ''total football'' and you will find a more detailed explanation somewhere.

I think its best if we just park this discussion as it is to do with the team not Nani and is a massive topic on its own.
    Since you are going to criticise Nani (unjustly) for not closing down as aggressively as the Barca players then why are you not also criticising Valencia and the rest of the team? None of our players (except for maybe Park) close down the opposition as aggressively as the Barca lads, but it's only Nani you single out for this criticism.

Never said Nani should be closing down aggressively. Barca reference was referring to the team mentality.
    Valencia is just as guilty for delaying on the ball and missing opportunities to cross. Just think of all the times he stops and stands square to his man and then eventually has to pass the ball backwards. Nani consistently gets in more quality and well timed crosses and shots than any of our wingers.

The discussion is about Nani. If you want a discussion on Valencia then you can start one.
    What does it matter what Nani aspires to be? So you are going to be a harsher critic of Nani than Valencia because you think Nani wants to be better? That's crazy. I would expect that every United first teamer aspire to be the best in the world in their position.

Nani plays for a great club with great traditions and past players who were great. I've acknowledged his talent and ability. I've acknowledged that he has had his best season yet. I've outlined what, IMO, he needs to do to improve and to get to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads there is no footballer I dislike more than Gerrard (in a purely footballing manner, not the actual man). But there is no way he would have acted like Nani did in that game. Yes Gerrard dives. Yes Carragher committed a terrible tackle that was as blatant a red card as you'll ever see. But Nani behaved like a prized prat. He was embarrassing that day.

Are you joking? Seriously, are you joking?

carragher-foul.jpg
    nani-injury-1.jpg
    nani-injury-2.jpg

Honestly, I get that Nani dives from time to time and maybe he shouldn't, but in this case, jesus christ, look at the photos.

My biggest problem wasn't with Carragher. My biggest problem was with the United team. All the players surrounding Nani when he was on the ground. Where the **** was the rest of the squad? Carragher shouldn't have been able to walk off that pitch, a United player should have thought him what happens when you hurt a United player. How I would have loved to have Keane or Ince on the pitch that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

PHB wrote: »
    Carragher shouldn't have been able to walk off that pitch, a United player should have thought him what happens when you hurt a United player. How I would have loved to have Keane or Ince on the pitch that day.

I'm struggling to think of any example, in any match, ever played, where a player has been sent off for "avenging" his teammate.

Closest I can think of would be Keane in the tunnel vs Arsenal due to Vieira and Neville.

Also, if there was a Keane or Ince on his team Nani might be less likely to behave the way he does out of sheer embarrassment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

My biggest problem wasn't with Carragher. My biggest problem was with the United team. All the players surrounding Nani when he was on the ground. Where the **** was the rest of the squad? Carragher shouldn't have been able to walk off that pitch, a United player should have thought him what happens when you hurt a United player. How I would have loved to have Keane or Ince on the pitch that day.
    You had me up to this. Muppetry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well for you guys that follow the TransferUpdate on twitter he has some more giggles for us now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Honestly, I get that Nani dives from time to time and maybe he shouldn't, but in this case, jesus christ, look at the photos.

people in the match thread saying it's nothing and they would have just walked it off were the most annoying thing to me that day. It's like it's ok to nearly break someones leg but if the player hacked overreacts in any way and wants attention suddenly it's horrible and a disgrace.

I didn't see anyone complain about the Arsenal players crying when Eduardo and Ramsey broke their legs, maybe it's only if it's the player who gets hacked cries then it's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Well for you guys that follow the TransferUpdate on twitter he has some more giggles for us now

he's some laugh I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

He's unreal isn't he! Good for a laugh at 4pm each day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

very true this one made me laugh out loud:
    Alex Ferguson was ringed yesterday night by Tottenham and told Sir Alex that Chelsea withdrawn their bid for Modric.

class :pac:

and todays exclusive:
    EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United today launched a £22m + Park Ji-sung for Tottenham LUKA MODRIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No I very strongly doubt he would. I think it's hilarious the way so many United fans on here all of a sudden think it's perfectly normal for a footballer to ball his eyes out on the pitch when he gets a cut on his leg the way Nani did after that incident.

I have a slight suspicion that Fergie has lost his patience with it and that's why he's looking at Young. It's only speculation on my part though.

Who are all the United fans that have said this. I said it if you look at the pictures below it might refresh your memory of how bad the challenge was. How exactly can you know if somebody would cry or not you didnt feel the challenge you dont know the pain he felt.

I have a slight suspicion that Fergie is not going to get rid of our best and most creative winger for Ashley Young because he playacts a bit. I have a slight suspicion Ferguson has more sense than that.

Did you not read where I said:
    Carragher committed a terrible tackle that was as blatant a red card as you'll ever see.

This argument is obviously rehashing months old rows, but there was no need for the carry on from him that day. Yes his leg was gashed. Yes it was a terrible tackle. But there was no need to run over to the referee, point at his leg, fall down like a silent movie star who slipped on a banana skin and start crying. Seriously he is not 10 any more, I don't care how bad his booboo was, you simply don't behave like he did.

People have had compound fractures have kept it together better than Nani. All it did was create an unnecessary fuss. I'd say Rooney et al were embarrassed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have a slight suspicion that Fergie is not going to get rid of our best and most creative winger for Ashley Young because he playacts a bit. I have a slight suspicion Ferguson has more sense than that.

finally some sense amongst all this drivel.

jambofc wrote: »
    finally some sense amongst all this drivel.

Not everybody who is saying that Nani acts like a clown is actually suggesting Ferguson would sell a player based purely on whether they dive or not. Arguments can be slightly more nuanced than simple black & white "He is crap, he is a diver, he is brilliant etc" type stuff. It is just that his theatrics probably don't endear him to SAF.

Anyway, I really doubt they are even thinking of selling him. Only as a makeweight in a large deal for a Sneijder type (I say type I don't necessarily mean just Sneijdrer btw) could I see him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But there was no need to run over to the referee, point at his leg, fall down like a silent movie star who slipped on a banana skin and start crying. Seriously he is not 10 any more, I don't care how bad his booboo was, you simply don't behave like he did.

People have had compound fractures have kept it together better than Nani. All it did was create an unnecessary fuss. I'd say Rooney et al were embarrassed by him.

This is spot on.

Balling crying like a baby was actually kinda hilarious
    (hence some of the Utd players actually laughing at him).

The comparrison with the Eduardo & Ramsey injuries is stupid.

As for PHB wishing Keane was on the pitch that day in order to exact revenge on Carragher.....do behave yourself, Keane would have been laughing along with Scholes at the hysterics from Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

MEN reporter Mike Keegan tweeting that Ashley Young has been seen with United officials today at a local medical centre, presumably having his medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Not everybody who is saying that Nani acts like a clown is actually suggesting Ferguson would sell a player based purely on whether they dive or not. Arguments can be slightly more nuanced than simple black & white "He is crap, he is a diver, he is brilliant etc" type stuff. It is just that his theatrics probably don't endear him to SAF.

Anyway, I really doubt they are even thinking of selling him. Only as a makeweight in a large deal for a Sneijder type I say type I don't necessarily mean just Sneijdrer btw) could I see him leaving.

didn't really suggest everyone was,just felt that that post was spot on.

finding it hard to take the abuse nani gets on these pages he is one of the best wingers going,yea he dive's a bit but so does most of the epl yea he moans and winges but c'mon he was one of our best players last season im gobsmacked that anyone would put young ahead of him in our team,ive already said i see young as a squad player and pray that he is not going to be nani's replacement.

i find it hard to post sometimes as there is usually a big argy bargy over comments that you make,a good ol banter seems to be lost in favour of name calling.

rant over :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you meant to post this in RedCafé.

i just wanted to alert you to your mistake.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

markc1184 wrote: »
    MEN reporter Mike Keegan tweeting that Ashley Young has been seen with United officials today at a local medical centre, presumably having his medical.

Daniel Taylor tweeting the same, must be crap then. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Some lad on twitter saying Modric is being swapped with Park - with cash also going to spurs...

to me thats just a trade in for a younger model, I think both players have similar qualities in certain aspects of their game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

jameshayes wrote: »
    Some lad on twitter saying Modric is being swapped with Park - with cash also going to spurs...

to me thats just a trade in for a younger model, I think both players have similar qualities in certain aspects of their game

Park and Modric are similar!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

markc1184 wrote: »

So, it's definite.

tbh... he's another overrated English player with limited technical ability, he's a step below United and adds nothing new to the squad.

But emm....Welcome Ashley, all the best lad! :D

VW 1 wrote: »
    Park and Modric are similar!?

jamie redknapps quote:

" "[He's] a hell of a player and a manager’s dream, so I am told. He trains like a demon and never complains, will work with and without the ball on the field and can beat a defender with a trick or with a pass. He could get into any team in the top four and he’ll be even better this season."

Sounds like he is talking about park no?

jamie redknapps quote:

" "[He's] a hell of a player and a manager’s dream, so I am told. He trains like a demon and never complains, will work with and without the ball on the field and can beat a defender with a trick or with a pass. He could get into any team in the top four and he’ll be even better this season."

No, not to that extent.

smokedeels wrote: »
    No, not to that extent.

opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one - thats my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

jamie redknapps quote:

It's literally like he is talking about Park.

smokedeels wrote: »
    No, not to that extent.

and - he performed one of the passes of the season

Utd -v- chelsea - 35 seconds in, Park passes to Hernandez

and - he performed one of the passes of the season

Utd -v- chelsea - 35 seconds in, Park passes to Hernandez

That was pretty sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RandyMarshJizz-480x360.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I read that it was a bit of a weird goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jamie redknapps quote:

They both train and work hard, and from that you are saying Modric is a younger version of park. LOOPY.

Park doesn't come anywhere near Modric in terms of technical ability, passing, vision, control, dribbling. They are very different styles of player, not similar at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

They both train and work hard, and from that you are saying Modric is a younger version of park. LOOPY.

I'm stunned they've been compared at all.

Well Park and Modric are similar in some ways. They could both do with a trip to the barbers :pac:

I'm stunned they've been compared at all.

Thought it was a bit of a jokey joke myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheTownie wrote: »
    Thought it was a bit of a jokey joke myself...

It completely bypassed my sense of humour radar if it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think he could do more defensively. You don't. Thats fine.
    I think its best if we just park this discussion as it is to do with the team not Nani and is a massive topic on its own.
    Never said Nani should be closing down aggressively. Barca reference was referring to the team mentality.
    The discussion is about Nani. If you want a discussion on Valencia then you can start one.
    Nani plays for a great club with great traditions and past players who were great. I've acknowledged his talent and ability. I've acknowledged that he has had his best season yet. I've outlined what, IMO, he needs to do to improve and to get to the next level.

You are being overly critical of him. You were the one who compared him to other players on the team when you mentioned about Rooney giving out to him and not giving out to other players. You said he should defend like the barca players, but that is impossible and the same criticism could be directed at any player on the team. Your criticism of Nani not making the right choices and not getting crosses in quickly enough would be more appropriate if levelled at Valencia, but you want to ignore that.

Your criticism of Nani's decision making and delaying on the ball would have been appropriate in previous seasons. But not in the last season and a half. Maybe it will take another season and a half of him being the best winger in the league week in, week out before you get it.

So what about the pictures? He had an injury, we know that. It was a bad tackle, we know that too. Those photos may, or may not be doctored, but either way they hardly make his behaviour ok. You are aware of the fact that many, many people get similar injuries at some stage and manage to not cry like babies and throw temper tantrums?

Your talk of what the squad should have done is just stupid. You honestly wanted the entire squad to go and beat Carragher up in the middle of the game? Come off it. Yes we could do with a few more enforcers, but what you are talking about is nonsense.

And what the rest of the players did or didn't do, still doesn't take away from the fact that Nani acted like a total numpty that day. Some of the United players were even laughing at him iirc.
    Liam O wrote: »
    people in the match thread saying it's nothing and they would have just walked it off were the most annoying thing to me that day. It's like it's ok to nearly break someones leg but if the player hacked overreacts in any way and wants attention suddenly it's horrible and a disgrace.

I didn't see anyone complain about the Arsenal players crying when Eduardo and Ramsey broke their legs, maybe it's only if it's the player who gets hacked cries then it's a problem.

Are the United fans who criticise Nani's reaction saying the tackle was ok? No we're not.

You obviously didn't look very hard for criticism of the Arsenal players' reactions. Gallas's reaction in particular was a disgrace. Also your comparison of the injuries is a total joke. Nani was back in training little more than a week later ffs.
    Who are all the United fans that have said this. I said it if you look at the pictures below it might refresh your memory of how bad the challenge was. How exactly can you know if somebody would cry or not you didnt feel the challenge you dont know the pain he felt.
    You, PHB and Liam O today for a start. I'm sure if you go back to the match thread you'll find a heap more saying the same.

As for the last question, give me a break. You can't know exactly what it felt like, but you can obviously have a reasonable idea and you can also compare his reaction to other people you've seen with similar injuries. In most other contact sports this wouldn't even be up for discussion. It is truly embarrassing how pathetic some football players are and how the fans can overlook it.
    I said it was just a suspicion. No need to get in a huff about it. It just seems strange to me that when we have two of the best wingers in the league Ferguson wants to go out and spend £15-£20m on Young. It would seem that he is unhappy with one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

As much as I love nani, he simply is not as strong on the left, and he even looks unhappy there. I welcome young simply for the balance of two excellent wingers regardless of which combination we choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Mirror says £130k a week, which couldn't possibly be true..:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Those wages are insane :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

bryanjf wrote: »
    Those wages are insane :eek:

Not as insane as the last few pages on here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That would mean he is paid more than Rio and Vidic - second only to Rooney.

The only way I could see it being true is if it is inclusive of a signing on fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Young being on such silly wages could leave a rift in the team with everyone feeling they should equal or beat his wages, £20m and £100,000 plus wages is a joke for a player of his ability and with only a year left on his contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would have been one of those people who would say Young is not good enough for UTD, but I'm willing to trust in Fergie and if he can step up a level like Valencia did then I will be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im not happy Young is coming tbh and the reported 20m price (if true) is bizarre but at least we'll have some threat at the set pieces etc

You are being overly critical of him. You were the one who compared him to other players on the team when you mentioned about Rooney giving out to him and not giving out to other players.

The reason I mentioned Rooney was to show he shared my frustrations. Nothing more nothing less. That is different from comparing to other players.
    You said he should defend like the barca players, but that is impossible and the same criticism could be directed at any player on the team.

I'm sorry you think that but my intention was to direct that toward the team's mentality not Nani on his own.
    Your criticism of Nani not making the right choices and not getting crosses in quickly enough would be more appropriate if levelled at Valencia, but you want to ignore that.

I'm not ignoring Valencia. I'm talking about Nani because that was the discussion. I made a few points and have spent the last few posts justifying my points to several people.
    Your criticism of Nani's decision making and delaying on the ball would have been appropriate in previous seasons. But not in the last season and a half. Maybe it will take another season and a half of him being the best winger in the league week in, week out before you get it.

There is nothing to get. The guy is not above criticism. I'm not going to ignore what I see just because he has had his best season for Utd. I want to see him play even better next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

yabadabado wrote: »
    Does anyone think Valencia's place will be under threat if we sign Young?Nani RW and Young LW.

Nope. He came back from a horrible injury & piled straight into a tackle. The guy has guts & passion both qualities that SAF loves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Headshot wrote: »
    Im not happy Young is coming tbh and the reported 20m price (if true) is bizarre but at least we'll have some threat at the set pieces etc

Nani might cry if he's not allowed to take them. Didn't Roy make him cry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The reason I mentioned Rooney was to show he shared my frustrations. Nothing more nothing less. That is different from comparing to other players.

No you compared Nani to the other players in light of Rooney giving out to Nani and not to the other players. You used that comparison as a criticism of Nani. But he is clearly better than any other player we have for crossing the ball into the box in the right way and at the right time so it is an unfair criticism.
    I'm sorry you think that but my intention was to direct that toward the team's mentality not Nani on his own.
    Fair enough, it was a bit unclear at the time.

I would say United are one of the hardest working and best defensively organised teams around. If you want them to work like Barca do when they don't have the ball, then you would need to change the entire set up and strategy and move towards their total football type of play. That isn't going to happen any time soon.
    There is nothing to get. The guy is not above criticism. I'm not going to ignore what I see just because he has had his best season for Utd. I want to see him play even better next season.
    Indeed he is not above criticism. But your particular criticisms of him are unfounded. Quibbling over how and when he should cross the ball when he has just had an absolute stormer of a season and been our most consistent attacking threat is nonsense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement