Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Think Young will be a very good signing. I'd be surprised if 20m is the figure though. I think it could be the potential figure though, ie. 15m up front and then 5m dependant on appearances, trophies won etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Degag wrote: »
    Think Young will be a very good signing. I'd be surprised if 20m is the figure though. I think it could be the potential figure though, ie. 15m up front and then 5m dependant on appearances, trophies won etc.

The Guardian says £15m. I couldn't see it being £20m considering he's in the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

PHB wrote: »
    Honestly, I get that Nani dives from time to time and maybe he shouldn't, but in this case, jesus christ, look at the photos.

My biggest problem wasn't with Carragher. My biggest problem was with the United team. All the players surrounding Nani when he was on the ground. Where the **** was the rest of the squad? Carragher shouldn't have been able to walk off that pitch, a United player should have thought him what happens when you hurt a United player. How I would have loved to have Keane or Ince on the pitch that day.

I'm probably in the minority here but i agree 100% with you. What carragher did imo was premeditated and as bad as what thatcher did years before. The fact that no player reacted disappointed me.

It doesn't matter in they thought nani over reacted or even if they dislike him but when a team mate is pole axed by a tackle that dirty i'd expect them to get involved. That type of leadership is still missing. Do you believe the likes of terry, gerrard or de jong would have stood back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Young will be a very good signing, ok he's not got the potential and star quality of Sanchez but he will turn out to be an excellent signing most likely.

I remember alot of flak for Valencia when he was bought after the sale of Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What's Ravel Morrision's main position? there's talk of him being in the senior squad this year.

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the younglings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eugeneious wrote: »
    The Guardian says £15m. I couldn't see it being £20m considering he's in the last year of his contract.

SSN reporting a £15 million fee.I don't get it with all the critics saying they don't want him,he is proven in the premier league and will improve at United-Villas' style was hardly swashbuckling and I feel Young suffered as a result,hopefully we'll get the best out of him.
    Question,who would ye rather,Young or 2 Bebe's?-I know who I'd prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What's Ravel Morrision's main position? there's talk of him being in the senior squad this year.

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the younglings.

Plays mainly as an attacking centre mid - played a good amount as a more traditional CM last season though. Played as a winger when he first came on to the scene, but has matured more centrally.

Plays mainly as an attacking centre mid - played a good amount as a more traditional CM last season though. Played as a winger when he first came on to the scene, but has matured more centrally.

Is he ready you reckon? needs to keep his temper in check by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

It will be very interesting to see how SAF uses the three wingers of Valencia,Nani and Young. They all have different attributes and have a number of weaknesses. Young's delivery from set-pieces is a nice asset to have and hopefully Vidic gets a few more headers this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »
    SSN reporting a £15 million fee.I don't get it with all the critics saying they don't want him,he is proven in the premier league and will improve at United-Villas' style was hardly swashbuckling and I feel Young suffered as a result,hopefully we'll get the best out of him.
    Question,who would ye rather,Young or 2 Bebe's?-I know who I'd prefer.

Id rather mata....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

bit of a weird one lads but is there a United shop in dublin anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Pro. F wrote: »
    No you compared Nani to the other players in light of Rooney giving out to Nani and not to the other players. You used that comparison as a criticism of Nani. But he is clearly better than any other player we have for crossing the ball into the box in the right way and at the right time so it is an unfair criticism.

Take what you want from it, I know what my intention was.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Indeed he is not above criticism. But your particular criticisms of him are unfounded. Quibbling over how and when he should cross the ball when he has just had an absolute stormer of a season and been our most consistent attacking threat is nonsense.

I have only talked about timing. I haven't talked about how he crosses the ball. Its not unfounded because it happens on occasions, as I have stressed previously.

Well that is where we differ. After the season he has had you don't see it appropriate to point these things out which I accept as your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Yeah most Dublin Pubs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There were numerous games this season when either Valencia or Nani were injured and United were crying out for a new winger. Young will cover that gap in the squad and I imagine he will have a very good season. United needed to sign a left sided winger IMO.

I'm not just saying that now either, I've been saying it on here for months. Look at how often Giggs played left midfield last year when Valencia was injured and Park absent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Used to be,not anymore-the nearest thing to one is Lifestyle or Champion Sports.

• Advertisement

James_LWAU wrote: »
    Yeah most Dublin Pubs ;)

no, you guys, im seriously

no, you guys, im seriously

super serial :D

Is he ready you reckon? needs to keep his temper in check by all accounts

I don't think so - he is still very young in what he does on the pitch, and can be easily provoked. It would certainly be interesting to see how he deals with the extra physicality and greater pace of the PL.

I would have to say though that it is very possible that playing with the better players of the first team will curtail his selfishness and playing against the better players of the premiership and the senior side regularly in training will force him to grow up both in terms of temprement and quickness in use of the ball.

Players will learn and improve the most when challenged, so being in the senior squad could be the making of him, if it doesn't prove too soon.

My gut feeling is that he has a chance at CC games at best, I would be surprised to see him feature in anything but dead rubber PL games.

Headshot wrote: »
    super serial :D

:P

Trying to get someone some United cufflinks by the weekend and no idea where to look. Called champion but they said no, try argos who didnt have it. Too late to order from amazon to get over here in time. FML

:P

Trying to get someone some United cufflinks by the weekend and no idea where to look. Called champion but they said no, try argos who didnt have it. Too late to order from amazon to get over here in time. FML

HJ Samuel sometimes have stuff like that - club crested cufflinks, hipflasks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

As much as I love nani, he simply is not as strong on the left, and he even looks unhappy there. I welcome young simply for the balance of two excellent wingers regardless of which combination we choose.

Nani was very good from January on two seasons ago on the left wing. Remember the 1st half against Bayern when we were 3-0 up and Nani and Valencia tearing them apart. Nani is the better winger but we are a better team wit Nani on the left and Valencia on the right. I hope we see more of it next season i think the reason Nani was poor near the end of this season was fatigue. He didnt have a rest all season. Young gives us more options and we are well stocked on the wings. I was thinking this will limit Wellbecks chances but with the rumours of Berbatov leaving i wonder are we going to let Wellbeck be 3rd choice if he leaves. It would be risky and personally i hope Berbatov stays he offers us something different.

I'm looking forward to Young's free kicks and corners. United have been dire with set pieces in the past 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Can someone sum up the last few pages for me? thanks :)

Trilla wrote: »
    Can someone sum up the last few pages for me? thanks :)

In summary....

Nani is a diver
    Nani is shít
    Nani is amazing
    Real men cry
    Cry babies don't belong in football
    Young cost 20 million
    Young cost 15 million
    Young is over rated
    Young is a great signing
    Young is a terrible signing

and cufflinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think Ashley Young could do very well for us. Gives the squad a bit more depth anyway at the very least, and a few more attacking options, if he starts or comes off the bench. He can play in a couple of different positions so could prove very useful.

Still hoping we sign a CM, but happy enough with our transfer dealing so far.

Headshot wrote: »
    and cufflinks

most sensible conversation had since this threads inception imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Young would be more a Giggs replacement though? Think he'll be a good addition for ye and I don't think it means Nani or Valencia going either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Young, Nani & Valencia may well play some games together. Young has played in the centre & did very well there for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In the event that Rooney is injured/rested, this looks rather decent

Hernandez

Nani
    Young
    Valencia

For raw pace that could be pretty exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

flahavaj wrote: »
    In the event that Rooney is injured/rested, this looks rather decent

Hernandez

Nani
    Young
    Valencia

For raw pace that could be pretty exciting.

Absolutely, even if Ando and Fletch were the two behind them, there would be a fierce amount of pace in that 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Lads was just talking to my brother earlier any ideas what number young is going to get???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

markc91 wrote: »
    Lads was just talking to my brother earlier any ideas what number young is going to get???

I doubt Owen won't give up his #7 anyway, Im guessing probably Scholseys # 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good to have young on board, hope he does a good job for us. am i the only one that takes pride in the number of english/homegrown players we put out in the team? so far, 2 more have been signed, albeit for big money....

does anybody rememer the old rules where we could only field three plus 2 (assimilated) foreigners?

so right now, our team would be assuming de gea signs.

De Gea
    Smalling_Rio_Jones_Josh (+2)/fabio/rafael
    Young_Giggs (+2)_Carrick_Nani/valencia/park
    Rooney_Hernandez

Bench : Amos, Evans,Welbeck,Owen, Brown, 2 of the young lads.

i assume evans counted as british back then...
    that certainly is alot stronger first 11, but bench is suspect, than what we had back in the early 90's. some difference now, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal would be in big trouble.

makes the current barcelona set up even more impressive.

well, whats up for grabs.

1 - vds
    2 - neville
    4 - hargreaves
    6 - possibly brown
    9 - possibly berba
    18 - scholes
    26 - obertan
    32 - diouf
    33 - bebe

so, jones i think is getting 2 aint he? so, young possibly will get scholes 18...

well, whats up for grabs.

1 - vds
    2 - neville
    4 - hargreaves
    6 - possibly brown
    9 - possibly berba
    18 - scholes
    26 - obertan
    32 - diouf
    33 - bebe

so, jones i think is getting 2 aint he? so, young possibly will get scholes 18...

Although De Gea wears No.13 for Atletico and Spain u-21's, do you reckon he is nailed on for the No.1 or with Park rumors he might get the number 13???

Although De Gea wears No.13 for Atletico and Spain u-21's, do you reckon he is nailed on for the No.1 or with Park rumors he might get the number 13???

na, he will get the number 1...dont know if weve ever had a suituation where we had no number 1 at the club.

He probably only has 13 there because he started off a reserve goalie first. I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

does anybody rememer the old rules where we could only field three plus 2 (assimilated) foreigners?

Yes, yes I do. And I remember Fergie complaining bitterley about it, and saying that he would never be able to win the CL whilst it was still in place.
    He eventually got his way, much to the detriment of national teams, especially England, and causing an outcry about the number of foreigners playing in the EPL and world leagues as they steadly increased. So its quite interesting that you are now so proud of the home grown players as Fergie was instrumental in getting rid of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

In summary....

Nani is a diver
    Nani is shít
    Nani is amazing
    Real men cry
    Cry babies don't belong in football
    Young cost 20 million
    Young cost 15 million
    Young is over rated
    Young is a great signing
    Young is a terrible signing

I knew I was setting someone up for a thankfest, well played Parker Kent... and thank you for the summary!

He probably only has 13 there because he started off a reserve goalie first. I'm open to correction though.

I just thought he picked the number 13 shirt for the U-21 Championships because i thought i heard somewhere it was his preferred number and he has started every match for the U-21's wearing No.13.

I couldn't care less what number is worn by whom tbh, as long s they play well. Could never understand the big fuss thats made of such things.

I just thought he picked the number 13 shirt for the U-21 Championships because i thought i heard somewhere it was his preferred number and he has started every match for the U-21's wearing No.13.

Maybe so! weird to have a perceived unlucky number as a favourite.

I couldn't care less what number is worn by whom tbh, as long s they play well. Could never understand the big fuss thats made of such things.

Theres a lot worse things we can talk about.

Its probably quite important in a marketing sense actually but whatever. You just want the numbers 1-15 like in your precious GAA (gl in the final btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It's crazy. Remember Bendtner (was it last year?) changed his number to his favourite one and :tries to keep a straight face: refunded all the fans who had bought a new jersey with his old number!

• Advertisement

Theres a lot worse things we can talk about.

Its probably quite important in a marketing sense actually but whatever. You just want the numbers 1-15 like in your precious GAA (gl in the final btw)

I'd say Chico would make a fine corner forward.

as Fergie was instrumental in getting rid of them!

errm what?????????????? fergie has always been a fan of youth and homegrown players. the united squad that won the 99 cl final, had 11 homegrown players in it, with scholes suspended and Keane/Irwin would have been classed as assimilated perhaps due to their length of time spent in the country.

6 homegrown players started in moscow, the 3 subs that came on were giggs (homegrown) and 2 young signings nani and anderson. so unless you can back up your points that fergie got rid of the rule, i would check your facts.

and one man got rid of the rule, and it wasnt fergie. do you need a history lesson on why the rule was done away with? it had nothing to do with football by the way.....it was a court ruling on european free trade withing the EU.

the man was called Jean Marc Bosman.

mirror reckon they have an exclusive on sanchez....

here it is -
    Alexis Sanchez turned into a non-flying winger when he refused to get on a plane to join Manchester City in a stunning £30 million deal.

Chilean star Sanchez was cleared to leave his country’s training camp to speak to City about a move to the Premier League after the megabucks outfit stepped ahead of Barcelona and Manchester United with the best bid.

Top 10 things you need to know about United, City and Barca target Alexis Sanchez

However Sanchez rocked his club Udinese by telling them he would not go as he does not consider City to be his favoured option - he would rather join United or speak to Barca to find out their plans.

The drama was played out at Santiago airport where media gathered to see Sanchez fly off - only to find out he had put the block on the transfer.

Sanchez thought he was going to speak to Champions League Barca, but their offer of a player plus cash was rejected by Udinese who preferred City’s hard cash over the Spanish package or United’s £27 million offer.

However the exciting attacking star has now decided to have his say in the transfer tug-of-war and his action leaves United and Barca trying to persuade Udinese to take less money.

Barca only want to commit £22 million to the deal and have offered a selection of swaps, but their fringe men like Bjoan Krkic, Thiago Alcantara and Jeffren have said ‘no thanks’ to Udinese.

United are sitting comfortably in the background, still confident that their straight-cash deal will win the day - although time is also a factor in the race.

Sanchez is due to play for Chile in the Copa America which starts in a week. His national federation do not want to risk him appearing in case he is injured, while Udinese want him sold by then to spend the money.

very intresting.

fake account apparently, not twitter verified. For all your complaints you're the biggest twitter muppet on here.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see City outbid Barca for Sanchez mind you but presumably he'd prefer to got to Barca ad thats where he'll end up IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

errm what?????????????? fergie has always been a fan of youth and homegrown players. the united squad that won the 99 cl final, had 11 homegrown players in it, with scholes suspended and Keane/Irwin would have been classed as assimilated perhaps due to their length of time spent in the country.

6 homegrown players started in moscow, the 3 subs that came on were giggs (homegrown) and 2 young signings nani and anderson. so unless you can back up your points that fergie got rid of the rule, i would check your facts.

and one man got rid of the rule, and it wasnt fergie. do you need a history lesson on why the rule was done away with? it had nothing to do with football by the way.....it was a court ruling on european free trade withing the EU.

the man was called Jean Marc Bosman.

I cant find it, but I do remember he couldnt play his first team, because his goalkeeper was scottish or something, so he had to drop some normal first choice players because they werent English, but scottish or irish
    It was before 1999, probably early 90's when Man U couldnt get past the group or early knock out stages.

I didnt say that Fergie got rid of the rule, i said he was instrumental in getting rid of english players, which he did except for a few. The rest are foreign or scottish/welsh/irish, but NOT English. In truth all he was trying to do was build a team that was good enough to win in europe as well as at home, but he knew that english players alone just werent good enough or he couldnt get hold of all the ones that were good enough

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement