Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

For what its worth i think young is an excellent signing. Yes if another club were to buy him it would be a good bit less but who cares if its a little expensive any time utd buy a player its always a bit more expensive. How many games had Smalling played before utd stepped in. Some people here are saying that he'll provide cover and imo that is complete crap, Ashley Young will prove to be an excellent signing for Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I cant find it, but I do remember he couldnt play his first team, because his goalkeeper was scottish or something, so he had to drop some normal first choice players because they werent English, but scottish or irish
    It was before 1999, probably early 90's when Man U couldnt get past the group or early knock out stages.

I didnt say that Fergie got rid of the rule, i said he was instrumental in getting rid of english players, which he did except for a few. The rest are foreign or scottish/welsh/irish, but NOT English. In truth all he was trying to do was build a team that was good enough to win in europe as well as at home, but he knew that english players alone just werent good enough or he couldnt get hold of all the ones that were good enough

I think that was against Barcelona in the 90s not sure of the year. I remember Schmiechel was dropped for the game Utd were beaten 4-0 if i remember. Just on another point how successful does anyone think that team would have been if that rule wasn't in place. I believe that 94-96 team was the best team that fergie assembled. That team was some team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

na, he will get the number 1...dont know if weve ever had a suituation where we had no number 1 at the club.

The current situation! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anders hoping to take the number 1 jersey! :p
    Anders' American dream

Anders Lindegaard can’t wait to rejoin his team-mates for Manchester United’s pre-season tour to the USA.

The Reds will jet off on 11 July for a three-week stint, taking in games in Boston, Seattle, Chicago, New Jersey and Washington DC as part of Tour 2011. And Lindegaard, who only signed for the Reds in January so hasn’t been involved in a United tour yet, jokes he may not return.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” he told ManUtd.com. “New York City is the coolest city I’ve visited in my life and I can’t wait to get back there. I spent a week there and I could have spent a lifetime. They have something like 20,000 restaurants… that fact alone blows my mind!”

Of course, there’ll be much more to Anders’ American visit than sightseeing. He’s well aware of the importance of pre-season training and, he says, the opportunity the tour will give him to stake a claim for the no.1 shirt.

“In the USA it’s going to be especially important for the goalkeepers to play well because Edwin’s retired and the rest of us are fighting for that jersey.

“I know it’s going to be a lot of hard work but I’m looking forward to it very much. I’ve been to Florida twice for training camps with other sides but we didn’t play many games in America – certainly not big ones in sell-out stadiums. That’s going to be a great experience.
    “Also, I know we’ll do a lot of promotional work in America as well and we’ll get to meet the fans. That’s only natural because we’re the biggest club in the world and America is a huge market. That side of the game – the marketing and the business – is interesting too, and I’m looking forward to seeing how that all works.”

So far, Anders says, life at Manchester United has been very enjoyable, albeit a little different to what he was used to at Norwegian side Aalesund.

“When you come from a small side in Norway you can’t prepare yourself for how big Manchester United is. But on the other hand it has the same mechanisms as any other club – people talk about the same things, they interact in the same way. There’s nothing different in that respect – it’s just that this club is a million times bigger.

“I’m enjoying my time in Manchester very much – more and more with each day that passes, actually. I’m a happy human being at the moment and that’s what life is all about.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2011/Tour-2011-News/2011/Jun/Anders-American-dream.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would people be happy if we signed sanchez and not a central midfielder?

if that deal went through, ur looking at possible shift in tactics online with barcelonas set up, though we dont have a proper midfield to compete with them. also, could be the end of berba.... there has to be some problem seen as barcelona aint tied up the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

elius wrote: »

SAF should tell him to take the flight & then meet him at the airport - now that would really upset City.

Might as well get them to pay for the flight.

if that deal went through, ur looking at possible shift in tactics online with barcelonas set up, though we dont have a proper midfield to compete with them. also, could be the end of berba.... there has to be some problem seen as barcelona aint tied up the deal.

Barca are short of money & they are going for Varane so they hope to get Sanchez on the cheap.

I think that we could still sign a CM even if we got Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think that was against Barcelona in the 90s not sure of the year. I remember Schmiechel was dropped for the game Utd were beaten 4-0 if i remember. Just on another point how successful does anyone think that team would have been if that rule wasn't in place. I believe that 94-96 team was the best team that fergie assembled. That team was some team

No way was that team Ferguson's best team. For example, Bruce and Pallister are not as good as Stam/Johnsen and nowhere near as good as Rio/Vidic. That team was very strong in England but even if the foreigners rule didn't exist, they wouldn't have been a match for the best teams. The 1999 and 2007-2009 teams are Ferguson's best.

For the record, that game was in 1994 and Gary Walsh was in goal.

Although that season did see this sexy moment against Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The only problem is Barca are working to a strict budget, so theres a bit of haggling over the fee. They're trying to offer players as part of the deal etc. He will sign for them eventually, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The muppet in me might. But realistically we are well stocked on the wings and we need a top cm. Also i think a year or 2 down the line he would be looking to go to Madrid or Barca and we dont need that. I just hope he doesnt go to City.

Very happy! With Tom Cleverly coming back, it's all good! :D Wellbeck, Jones, Smalling, Hernandez, some of the most exciting young players around and they are United players already! Nice! Sanchez's off to Barcelona though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Discodog wrote: »
    SAF should tell him to take the flight & then meet him at the airport - now that would really upset City.

Might as well get them to pay for the flight.

Did we do that with berba :D:D

Although that season did see this sexy moment against Barcelona

Love that Sharp goal! Remember it like it was yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Bojan was the main player they were trying to offer in the deal IIRC and I'm sure I heard today he signed for Roma. Still think there is a small chance he will end up at OT, but I agree it's likely he'll go to Barca.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Barca are short of money & they are going for Varane so they hope to get Sanchez on the cheap.

I think that we could still sign a CM even if we got Sanchez.

Varane has signed for Real.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The only problem is Barca are working to a strict budget, so theres a bit of haggling over the fee. They're trying to offer players as part of the deal etc. He will sign for them eventually, no doubt.

They know the player wants to go to them so are in a strong position. Especially since he's pulled the BA i ain't gettin' on no plane fool - act.

lordgoat wrote: »

A blessing

I'd send Chico to talk to Sanchez - his enthusiasm & Spanish would do the trick :D

• Advertisement

I'd send Chico to talk to Sanchez - his enthusiasm & Spanish would do the trick :D

Na send vidic " sign for utd or ill ****i'ng murder ya"
    :D

Headshot wrote: »
    A blessing

its also very strange, why would we pay another 10 million for another defender. surely, that means evans was due for the boot, along with brown.

he must be excellent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

its also very strange, why would we pay another 10 million for another defender. surely, that means evans was due for the boot, along with brown.

he must be excellent though.

Seems to have been a great prospect at 17, if he had been signed definitey one for the future. If you think he'll barely be in his 20's as Vidic and Rio reach the end of their careers I don't think he was a bad move by any means.

In any case we can get him for half the price in 3 years' time after he spends that time stagnating at Madrid.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Interesting stats :From 07/08-10/11, Ashley Young has provided 30 dead ball league assists: 7.5 per year. #MUFC's best Nani has averaged 4.25. Improvement.

Young's dead ball assist rate from last 4 years of 7.5 per season is better than Beckham - who averaged 4.77 per season in his #MUFC career.

The guy responsible for these is probably on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

lordgoat wrote: »

Aul Zizou and his silver tongue at it again :p

Didn't know United has the 12 month extension option on Berba. Explains why their is no rush in either an extension or sale. So he has 2 years left on his contract, if the club decides it.
    Berbatov wants showdown talks to decide United future
    Published 22:55 22/06/11 By David Anderson

Dimitar Berbatov’s agent has called for talks to end the uncertainty over the player’s future at Manchester United.

Berbatov insists he wants to stay and fight for his place, despite his *Champions League final snub, but is concerned by the club’s reluctance to offer new terms.

Paris St Germain have joined Bayern Munich and Tottenham in eyeing Berbatov, who has 12 months left on his £100,000-a-week deal.

The striker is in demand after finishing joint top scorer in the Premier League last season and United are prepared to cash in if the right offer comes along.

Agent Emil Danchev wants discussions with chief executive David Gill. “We’ll know more after we have talks with United, but Berbatov wants to stay and to keep winning trophies,” said Danchev.

United are in no rush to sit down with Danchev as they feel they have the upper hand. A clause in the contract Berbatov signed when he joined for a record £30.75million from Spurs in 2008 allows them unilaterally to extend it by another 12 months next summer.

They feel this option protects Berbatov’s value until manager Sir Alex Ferguson decides if he wants to keep the Bulgaria forward next season.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Manchester-United-Dimitar-Berbatov-wants-showdown-talks-to-decide-future-article751686.html

• Advertisement

using the selection process for the CL final is not a good yardstick for anything.

It's a great yardstick for who SAF thinks are the best players for the biggest game of the season!
    fergie got alot wrong that night....alot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Chico scores again for Mexico in extra-time this time with his thigh :pac:

markc91 wrote: »
    Chico scores again for Mexico in extra-time this time with his thigh :pac:

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

No way was that team Ferguson's best team. For example, Bruce and Pallister are not as good as Stam/Johnsen and nowhere near as good as Rio/Vidic. That team was very strong in England but even if the foreigners rule didn't exist, they wouldn't have been a match for the best teams. The 1999 and 2007-2009 teams are Ferguson's best.

I still have nightmares of a young Jesper Blomqvist tearing us a new one in Gothenburg that year. Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm getting more and more agitated as we sign players or are heavily linked with players and still no sign of a cm or even two!

De Gea of course was a must but Young and Jones were nowhere near top of the list of what the squad needs. Over £30 million spent on both whereas I would have been much happier spending that cash and two decent cm or one top cm midfielder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have both in the squad but if it's at the expense of buying cms, and I'm getting more and more convinced it will be the end of our buying, then I really do think it is a **** up by the club of epic proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

adox wrote: »
    I'm getting more and more agitated as we sign players or are heavily linked with players and still no sign of a cm or even two!

De Gea of course was a must but Young and Jones were nowhere near top of the list of what the squad needs. Over £30 million spent on both whereas I would have been much happier spending that cash and two decent cm or one top cm midfielder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have both in the squad but if it's at the expense of buying cms, and I'm getting more and more convinced it will be the end of our buying, then I really do think it is a **** up by the club of epic proportions.
    I am getting the feeling too that we wont buy a cm but deep down i know fergie is not that stupid. We only really have Ando, Giggs, Carrick and Fletcher. Ando is injury prone, but this could his season if he gets a good run of games. Giggs is gonna be 38 this season and will have to used sparingly which could just leave us with Carrick and Fletcher. Fletcher is usually fit apart from that virus, i dont remember him being out for any great time recently but he will have to improve a lot on last years performances. Carrick is a big worry if he goes on one of his bad runs which can last up to a year or 2. Like it or not Carrick is a huge player for us, if he plays well we usually play well and win. On the other hand when he is bad he is woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Glad to see the figure for Young is closer to £16M, better value. I do think he is going to be a big player for us next year, he provides pace on the left and is not afraid to shoot. I think genuinly he could be an inspired signing. Jones for me is one for the future and SAF only moved when he found out the release clause was matched. I think he was perfectly willing to let Jones stay at Blackburn another season and monitor his progress.

The midfield options are now the priority (providing the De Gea signing is as expected already assured and tbh it must be as I don't see any speculation on other keepers of late). If we sell Berba it will be interesting to see who SAF brings in or does he trust Danny to do a job for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I have a sneaking suspicion Ferguson might try and turn Rooney into the new Scholes, playing him deeper in midfield this season with Young and Chico up front. I always thought Rooney would drop into that role later in his career, and I think he could be excellent there, but if we don't get a good CM this summer he might end up there much sooner.

That would be a shame as I think he's lethal in front of goal when on form. Hopefully we'll sing a very good CM and SAF is just doing a good job of keeping it under wraps! :D

i think that fergie wants attacking players in only to change the sytle of play to be more fluent given the players who have left so far, he may only think he needs to replace scholes of old which would be an attacking central player. our defence is solid

i still think theres one big signing to come and also a low key central player, somebody solid in the diarra mould though the more i read about him, the more troublesome i hear he is and that could turn fergie off. if he gets rid of berba then we defo are getting in a top class attacker which then leaves room for only one more player..

the thing here is, the window doesnt open for another week and, theres 2 months left to do business after that.....relax!!

If we sell Berba it will be interesting to see who SAF brings in or does he trust Danny to do a job for him.
    I think he will trust Wellbeck and Kiko, whoever impresses more will stay and the other on loan. Berba is clearly not first choice anymore and he is not a great impact sub so i can see the reasons for selling him. He offers something our other players dont but do we really need those quality's. Wellbeck is a much more adaptable player and has pace, something which fergie likes.

kiko, diouf, obertan, pig and brown all have to be in trouble to stay on in the squad next year. kiko and obertan could go on loan.

though, theres a few championship teams after AMOS on loan, so if that happens, the we need PIG to stay unless he trusts Sam johnson enough to promote him to 3rd choice behind Lindegaard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

kiko, diouf, obertan, pig and brown all have to be in trouble to stay on in the squad next year. kiko and obertan could go on loan.

though, theres a few championship teams after AMOS on loan, so if that happens, the we need PIG to stay unless he trusts Sam johnson enough to promote him to 3rd choice behind Lindegaard.

PIG seemed to be annoyed with being second choice, can't for the life of me seeing him staying around to be third choice!

Id sell Diouf, Obertan, PIG and Brown and get 10-12 million for them. I think Kiko has real quality though, id expect him to stay for pre-season and maybe go loan then to an English team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

SkyGraemeBaileyGraeme Bailey

Lens claim that Raphael Varane has opted to join Real Madrid, shunning offers from Manchester United and PSG

I don't think United need him now they have Jones

amiable wrote: »
    SkyGraemeBaileyGraeme Bailey

I don't think United need him now they have Jones
    Although if he is anything like he is in my football manager game he will be the greatest defender ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

. Berba is clearly not first choice anymore and he is not a great impact sub so i can see the reasons for selling him. He offers something our other players dont but do we really need those quality's. Wellbeck is a much more adaptable player and has pace, something which fergie likes.

I agree with him not being first choice anymore and he's better when he starts a game rather than coming in late (not always though, he did get a vital winner against Bolton off the bench) but Berba will start a lot of matches early next season imo due to Chico playing in the Gold cup which is fine by me. Fergie will rest him until later in the season and Berba will get phased out for some of the big matches and then become second choice for the run in. Fergie worried of burn out after Javiers World Cup and will be equally cautious again.

Starting out it will be pretty much the same rotation as last season. Berba scored vital and wonderful goals and his contribution in the league campaign was one of if not the most important in the squad. With Chico getting rested and Rooneys whole I want to leave saga followed by a holiday to Dubai and another week in the states there was a lot of pressure on Berba and he really stepped up.

There is plenty more to come from him. He offers something different up top. His ability to hold the ball up and pick a pass is wonderful. I've seen him in tight spaces with a couple of defenders clipping at his heels and he gives a masterclass in close control, technical ability and composure to produce something from nothing.

I wouldn't write him off just yet and would hate it if he was sold. We need him for those tough opening fixtures. He is my favorite player so I'm a little biased but I feel there is plenty more to come from the guy.

i really hope hernandez doesnt suffer burnout...he is leaving himself open to injuries playing so much lately, pre season starts in 15 days ffs...

i really hope hernandez doesnt suffer burnout...he is leaving himself open to injuries playing so much lately, pre season starts in 15 days ffs...
    He will be gradually brought back into pre-season. Rooney, Kiko and Owen will have a full pre-season and i say they will start the season as our first choice. Berba will have a good rest too if he is still at Utd. Wellbeck is about a week ahead of Chico already so we wont be short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Not much you can do, at least hes not in the Copa America.

Bit like the African Nations Cup for other players, part and parcel of international football really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Smegball wrote: »
    Not much you can do, at least hes not in the Copa America.

Bit like the African Nations Cup for other players, part and parcel of international football really.
    Aren't Mexico in the copa?

Aren't Mexico in the copa?
    Chico is not in the squad. think they are just bringing u21 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Any idea if Valencia be playing in the Copa America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RVD420 wrote: »
    Any idea if Valencia be playing in the Copa America?

Yeah, he's in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

With the pre-season in 15 days presumably he will be missing that, but does anyone know if if will affect him at the start of the season? Or will he get a bit of a break between the end of the Copa and the kick off of the PL?

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    With the pre-season in 15 days presumably he will be missing that, but does anyone know if if will affect him at the start of the season? Or will he get a bit of a break between the end of the Copa and the kick off of the PL?
    Im sure he will get a break. He didnt play too many games last year either so he wouldnt be as tired as the other players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement