Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Young will be unreal for United imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

flahavaj wrote: »
    Would be very disappointed to see JOS go and its a decision I think we will regret. The twins are very injury prone still (though seem to be less so than a couple of years back) and JOS is a really capable stand in. Come the business end of the season, when the games are coming thick and fast, guys like John come into their own.

He's also still 1st choice against teams that like to lump the ball up towards a big front line imo. Very sad if he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

You reckon? i think he looks pretty decent as a full back, no more ungainly that O'Shea anyways
    O'shea is a much much better Full-Back than Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

O'shea is a much much better Full-Back than Evans.

I know. I was saying he doesn't really look/seem awkward there.

Remember his mad skills v Chelsea down the wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Delighted about Ashley Young signing. Last game I saw him play was for England in the qualifiers. They were brutal and brought Young on in the second half. He completely changed the game, even getting on the scoresheet. I think he'll create a lot of chances for the team, as well as scoring a few goals himself.

As far as the rumours about JOS leaving I'm not so sure. He's always been happy with his squad player role so I can't really see him leaving to get more games elsewhere. Also his wife is either close to having a baby, or has already had it so I couldn't see him moving the family to Sunderland.

I hope he stays as Fabio and Rafael have a habit of getting injured and he's just a very good utility player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

As far as the rumours about JOS leaving I'm not so sure. He's always been happy with his squad player role so I can't really see him leaving to get more games elsewhere. Also his wife is either close to having a baby, or has already had it so I couldn't see him moving the family to Sunderland.
    :eek:

:eek:

I'm not sure about what's so shocking? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I know. I was saying he doesn't really look/seem awkward there.

Remember his mad skills v Chelsea down the wing!

All I have to add to this is Figo :D

VW 1 wrote: »
    All I have to add to this is Figo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I really didn't rate Young as a 'Man Utd' type of player. I'm still a bit gobsmacked at the prices being quoted around for a guy who had one year left on his contract.

Is £17million not a bit too much? Was it not possible to buy out the last year of his contract or anything? Just strikes me as a big price considering he could be got for nothing if you waited around another year.

I really didn't rate Young as a 'Man Utd' type of player. I'm still a bit gobsmacked at the prices being quoted around for a guy who had one year left on his contract.

Is £17million not a bit too much? Was it not possible to buy out the last year of his contract or anything? Just strikes me as a big price considering he could be got for nothing if you waited around another year.

To be honest, Dalglish probably offered £16 million so we had to outbid.

To be honest, Dalglish probably offered £16 million so we had to outbid.

Nah, Young only had eyes for United apparently, like Jones and anyone else with sense! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭viper.10

well, its a done deal now weather anybody likes it or not Young has moved to united, in a perfect world i hope we complete the De Gea signing and then de rossi and sneijder now for CM. Get rid of some of the deadwood and move up the young players into their squad places and go get some world class. I know that isn't utd's style and we would rather make superstars than buy them but if fertgie wants to dislodge barcelona as europes best in his time here then jones and young imo isn't gonna be enough. Maybe i'm wrong im not claiming to be any sort of expert.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont rate him either,he is a one dimensional player and the high price is due to the "English" premium.

It seems Ferguson is concentrating on buying English players ,I wish he would buy a few flair players ,especially a creative midfielder which is desperately needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

English, versatile, bit of flair about him, pacey, good on the counter attack.... seems very much a Man United type of player.

Maybe no the world class name that some cry out for (me on many occassions to be fair) but he is very much a Ferguson/Man United type of player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I dont rate him either,he is a one dimensional player and the high price is due to the "English" premium.

It seems Ferguson is concentrating on buying English players ,I wish he would buy a few flair players ,especially a creative midfielder which is desperately needed.

Which dimension do you think is the one he's restricted to?

One dimensional?

Can beat a player with pace, can beat them with a bit of skill, doesn't need to beat them and can put a good ball in. Can play on the left. Can play on the right. Can play through the centre. Good going forward. Good defensively. Good crosser of the ball. Good passer of the ball. decent shot on him.

One dimensional?

I think Young is a bit under-appreciated. He's the kind of player that could do very well at United and I for one am delighted we've signed him. He's not going to solve all our midfield problems but he's definitely a good addition to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

One dimensional?

Can beat a player with pace, can beat them with a bit of skill, doesn't need to beat them and can put a good ball in. Can play on the left. Can play on the right. Can play through the centre. Good going forward. Good defensively. Good crosser of the ball. Good passer of the ball. decent shot on him.

One dimensional?

So he's basically the perfect player? Talk about one extreme to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I am reserving judgement on the lad for 1 simple reason. When we signed Valencia from Wigan I was not very happy at all. I thought he was gonna be a flop and then BOOOOOM he did unreal and I now regard him as a vital first team player and I have major bro love for him.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

eZe^ wrote: »
    Can he play in goals? :D

Talk about one extreme to the other.

Exaggeration much?

Just to echo what was said above really, the signing was most likely made because he is versatile in that he can play either wing or as a support striker, has a bit of flair and his attitude is very much in the United way, dogged tenacious and tries until the end. Relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I am reserving judgement on the lad for 1 simple reason. When we signed Valencia from Wigan I was not very happy at all. I thought he was gonna be a flop and then BOOOOOM he did unreal and I now regard him as a vital first team player and I have major bro love for him.

That is all.

I was pretty much same way with him so ya I think Young may prove lot people wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think he'll prove very good value at £17m.

No - don't be so fuking awkward. The perfect player would be perfect at all those things. Ashley Young is not perfect at all those things - and I didn't come anywhere close to saying he was.

Can beat a player with pace
    can beat them with a bit of skill
    doesn't need to beat them and can put a good ball in.
    Can play on the left.
    Can play on the right.
    Can play through the centre.
    Good going forward.
    Good defensively.
    Good crosser of the ball.
    Good passer of the ball.
    decent shot on him.

Are you saying I am wrong in anything I have said there? What have I written that is incorrect about Young? Go on, let me know rather than being snide. He is pacey - so he does beat players with pace. He can and does just whip the ball in without beating a player, and he is a good crosser of the ball. He isn't the most skillfull player in the world but he can beat players with a trick or two - no Messi, obviously, but he can do it. He can clearly play all across an advanced 3 - he can and has on many occasions. He does work hard enough defensively. Not as much as a player like Park, but he does his fair share imo. His assist stats (and passing/crossing stats) would indicate he is a good crosser and passer. He does have a decent shot on him - decent enough scoring record over the years.

So, rather than being bitchy and snide, what have I written that is incorrect - or indeed lables him as a 'perfect player'.

All Mitch said was that he was capable at doing all of them things. He didnt claim he was as good as Silva on the left. Nor Valencia on the right. Nor Rooney as support striker. Nor Usain Bolt at sprinting. Nor Scholes range of passing.

He is a perfect fit because he has the ability to do all of these things to a decent level. Maybe not an outstanding player at any one aspect, rather a very well rounded player who could be an outstanding signing.

What wages is he being reported to be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Headshot wrote: »
    Im in 2 minds about Young tbh, iv very big doubts about him tbh but I hope he proves me wrong

same here.
    it's a pity he's not naturally left footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was thinking about this game, whats the point of buying him when he wont be starting? He's an okay back up player, yes, but what utd are missing are great 1st team players and we havent signed anyone yet that can improve the starting team

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    What wages is he being reported to be on?

Reports of £100,000+ in the tabloids which I'm sure you've heard yourself. I'd take that which a nice big pinch of salt myself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dont think we should get too hung up in the numbers being touted, especially the wages figures. Sure they are high but the people making the decisions are much more qualified than we are on it.

Reports of £100,000+ in the tabloids which I'm sure you've heard yourself. I'd take that which a nice big pinch of salt myself tbh.
    I heard silly money a couple of weeks ago.
    Was just wondering if it turned out to be the case.
    I'd personally imagine around 90k per week

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I dont think we should get too hung up in the numbers being touted, especially the wages figures. Sure they are high but the people making the decisions are much more qualified than we are on it.

idk about that

I was dead handy in fm

I reckon it could be something like 80k pw (which would put him in the 3rd bracket) and possibly topped up with a signing on fee spread over the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

VW 1 wrote: »
    from twitter
    I think he'll prove very good value at £17m.

Yep, congrats on getting an England 25 yr old sub

idk about that

I was dead handy in fm

But yet i bet there were times when you still had to ask the board for more money or adjust the budgets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Surely perfect players have Barca fucking DNA :)

But yet i bet there were times when you still had to ask the board for more money or adjust the budgets ;)

They knew I was the special one so what I wanted I got :D

• Advertisement

solid contribution. do you think any chelsea player will get as many assists per min than he will just out of interest?

/ my stat muppetry

They knew I was the special one so what I wanted I got :D

special is a word i would use for you alright :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

congrats on getting a 33year old coach. At least he'll still have his youthful looks when he's sacked in 12months.

Exactly who gives a f*ck, really? If he's involved in scoring/setting p 20 goals bext season it'll eb money well spent.

Also have to laugh about the growing agitation amongst the Muppets about the lack of a CM signing. Theres 2 months left before the transfer window closes FFS. Our success in recent years had been built on a bedrock of having an excellent, deep squad with good options in all positions - Ashley Young is simply an expension of that philosophy. He'll get plenty starts next season. Up until the last few weeks of the season, (when we struck upon the Giggs/Carrick and Chico/Rooney pairings) nobody could really name United's best 11, I don't think Fergie ever picked the same team twice apart from once in the closing weeks of the season. He rotates very heavily and picks players to suit particular games - Park being the best example of this. What Young offers is lots of options, which Fergie loves in a player. He will play a big part in the next 4-5 years, no doubt about that. Its also worth remembering we got caught very short in the wide positions in the middle of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Says the fan who's club payed 50 million for 2 goals.

edit: or even 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Carrick isn't even an England squad member (rightly so) and he was grand v Chelsea last season. Young will be fine :)

I wouldn't take his status within England squad as an indicator of anything.

• Advertisement

The Sarge wants attention again, awww.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Better than paying £50m for a 27 yr old Spanish sub, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

lordgoat wrote: »
    congrats on getting a 33year old coach. At least he'll still have his youthful looks when he's sacked in 12months.

+1 I reckon he'll drown in a pool of Drogba & Anelkas tantrum tears.

If Berba heads to Paris, i reckon it'll only be if fergie has a replacement in mind, though i doubt Benzema or whoever would be comfortable rotating or even playing second fiddle to Chicharito.

Personally i'd love to see Falcao at Utd if Berba goes, but he's odds on to follow Villas-Boas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

solid contribution. do you think any chelsea player will get as many assists per min than he will just out of interest?

/ my stat muppetry

I'll let you know next season - Its difficult to know which of the many world class players we are linked with is coming!

Maybe you should ask your own supporters, cos it looks to me that they are simiarly under whelmed! ;)

I'll let you know next season - Its difficult to know which of the many world class players we are linked with is coming!

It'll probably be like last Summer were ye were all jacking off over Schweinsteiger and Aguero and ye got Yossi Benayoun.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement