Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tiote isn't a bad call... all beit it was one food season only. We can only wait, which is a killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I would love to see a midfield of Valencia--Fletcher--Anderson--Young/Nani to start off the season and see how it goes.

This becomes very interesting now for me. Lets say we sign nobody else in midfield.

We'll keep your 2 Cm's for arguments sake. Would you always start Val? I think a better balance is to have Nani on one wing and then the more direct type of beat a man cross the ball winger on the other flank.

Seeing as Nani is better on the left (and assuming that Young and Valencia are pretty evenly matched) surely we should play to our strengths and let Nani start the season right and go with Young left? Also add in here that Val has a tournament this summer whereas the others dont!

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This becomes very interesting now for me. Lets say we sign nobody else in midfield.

We'll keep your 2 Cm's for arguments sake. Would you always start Val? I think a better balance is to have Nani on one wing and then the more direct type of beat a man cross the ball winger on the other flank.

Seeing as Nani is better on the left (and assuming that Young and Valencia are pretty evenly matched) surely we should play to our strengths and let Nani start the season right and go with Young left? Also add in here that Val has a tournament this summer whereas the others dont!

Thoughts?

I think Valencia may be eased back in after the summer. Although the point was made that he wont be as tired from a long summer because he was out for so long during the season, I think that we will see mainly a combo of Young and Nani on the left and right respectively for the first 2/3 weeks.

Although saying this I do feel our best balance, once we get into the swing of the season, will come with using one of Young/Nani on the left and Valencia on the right, striking a balance between the directness of Valencia and the flair/unpredictability/ability to cut in and have a shot of Young/Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Trilla wrote: »
    Tiote isn't a bad call... all beit it was one food season only. We can only wait, which is a killer

I think he's got the hunger for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Cleverley and Anderson battling it out for the permanent spot next to Fletcher. Survival of the fittest! But Fergie likes Carrick so he'll probably get most PL games, where he does his job very well. Vidic has the best view of him and he gave him high praise for doing that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Thoughts?

If anything, the Copa America will mean that Valencia will be ahead of his team-mates in terms of sharpness - but he could well burn out towards the end of the season when the games pile up.

For me, I think Valencia and Young will be the two wingers in the games against the top sides because Young gives us more than Nani in terms of set-pieces (where we've been shocking bad the last couple years) and Valencia offers a bit more protection to Rafael/Fabio down the right.

What Young's arrival does mean though is that we're a lot more fluid up front and can interchange a lot more - particularly if we decide to go with just Rooney up top in some games. Because Young can play through the middle, Nani can too, Rooney can drop off and play deep or he can play as a lone front man. As the Barcelona game shows, a nightmare for a defender is having no one to mark on the field, thus if Young and Nani are swapping wings and Rooney is dropping deep to create then the opposition faces midfielders making runs from deep unmarked - and that is frightening for defences.

I think we do need a midfielder, but I wouldn't be altogether devastated if we don't sign one. If we do, I think it'll bring us on further.

Again, all this depends on how Fergie decides to use Jones also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    I was thinking about this game, whats the point of buying him when he wont be starting? He's an okay back up player, yes, but what utd are missing are great 1st team players and we havent signed anyone yet that can improve the starting team

Of course he'll be starting, it's the other players ya need to wonder about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Cleverley and Anderson battling it out for the permanent spot next to Fletcher. Survival of the fittest! But Fergie likes Carrick so he'll probably get most PL games, where he does his job very well. Vidic has the best view of him and he gave him high praise for doing that job.

Agreed, Fergie is much too fond of Carrick though!

I can see Anderson being sold either this summer or next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JPA wrote: »
    Of course he'll be starting, it's the other players ya need to wonder about.

No chance

Your telling me he'll start ahead of val or Nani

Super Serial?

VW 1 wrote: »
    Although saying this I do feel our best balance, once we get into the swing of the season, will come with using one of Young/Nani on the left and Valencia on the right, striking a balance between the directness of Valencia and the flair/unpredictability/ability to cut in and have a shot of Young/Nani.

Why can the balance not be having the direct young left and playing Nani on the right.

To me Nani right + Young left > Val riggh + Nani left as we are getting more out of Nani being right.

• Advertisement

If anything, the Copa America will mean that Valencia will be ahead of his team-mates in terms of sharpness - but he could well burn out towards the end of the season when the games pile up.

For me, I think Valencia and Young will be the two wingers in the games against the top sides because Young gives us more than Nani in terms of set-pieces (where we've been shocking bad the last couple years) and Valencia offers a bit more protection to Rafael/Fabio down the right.

What Young's arrival does mean though is that we're a lot more fluid up front and can interchange a lot more - particularly if we decide to go with just Rooney up top in some games. Because Young can play through the middle, Nani can too, Rooney can drop off and play deep or he can play as a lone front man. As the Barcelona game shows, a nightmare for a defender is having no one to mark on the field, thus if Young and Nani are swapping wings and Rooney is dropping deep to create then the opposition faces midfielders making runs from deep unmarked - and that is frightening for defences.

I think we do need a midfielder, but I wouldn't be altogether devastated if we don't sign one. If we do, I think it'll bring us on further.

Again, all this depends on how Fergie decides to use Jones also.

Nice to have these options right? Fergie is building for a new team with competition for places :)

No chance

Your telling me he'll start ahead of val or Nani

Super Serial?

You're telling me United will pay 100k + in wages for a sub?

Ferguson has a plan for him and it may not be as a winger but he will be one of your main players from now on IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Nice to have these options right? Fergie is building for a new team with competition for places :)

Exactly. We have options everywhere - well, bar center mid. But we do have Fletcher back there who was missing for a long spell of last season. And that's without considering the Bulgarian who netted 20 odd goals for us last season; Welbeck and Cleverly.

Ferguson has a plan for him and it may not be as a winger but he will be one of your main players from now on IMO.

Your the bigger fool to believe the tabloids. Rooney, Nani and val wont be dropped so Young wont be our main player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Anyone disagreeing with JPA is pretty stupid tbh, Young definitely wasn't bought to be a sub. He will start, whether it be on the left or behind a striker

Your the bigger fool to believe the tabloids. Rooney, Nani and val wont be dropped so Young wont be our main player

I think you are both sort of right.

Its been said a lot, but we rotate an awful lot. Nobody is dropped but nobody coming in will take first choice (in terms of the young signing). We will continue to heavily rotate based on who we are playing so each of the 3 and even Park will get games.

One of your main players I said, but Young will be one of the first names on the team, I guarantee it.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Anyone disagreeing with JPA is pretty stupid tbh, Young definitely wasn't bought to be a sub. He will start, whether it be on the left or behind a striker

Who are you going to drop then.
    One of your main players I said, but Young will be one of the first names on the team, I guarantee it.
    warming the bench and getting a look in the fa cup or cl if we've qualified already

Well the you dont know United well enough to say this imo.

Young is not so much better than our wingers to merit a guaranteed place. We have a spine of our team when players are fit and then fill in the blanks dependent on the opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

curry-muff wrote: »
    We have this thing called a squad you know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

young is massively over rated, he isnt any better then Valencia or Nani. Waste of money when untied are crying out for center midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dimi Berbatov waves 'Hello' from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I think Nani will be the one to lose out. Valencia probably wont play too much at the start of the season with his copa america so Nani should get a decent bit of game time. But as the season goes on i believe Valencia will become first choice for the bigger games and young or maybe Park will play on the left. Nani has pretty much always been 2nd choice to Valencia since Valencia has been at the club. He also finished last season as second choice so if another player comes in that can play his position it will make it even harder for Nani.

Nani and Valencia will be rotated on the right, I think we all know by now Nani isn't suited to the left, its Youngs position now.
    We have this thing called a squad you know .

Really, whats one of them :rolleyes:

warming the bench and getting a look in the fa cup or cl if we've qualified already

You might not rate him that highly but Ferguson clearly does and I think you underestimate how highly rated he is within the league.Obviously I cannot prove what I beleive right now but in time I think I will be right.

lol so dropping our best player last season is the answer :D? I dont care if he performs better on the right he is still a damn fine left winger

lol so dropping our best player last season is the answer :D? I dont care if he performs better on the right he is still a damn fine left winger

I never said it was the answer I just said i think thats what will happen. I also believe Young is a better left winger than Nani is. I wouldnt say he is a damn fine left winger either, he can play there no doubt that but he is average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's a little to soon to state where we expect Young to play. We need to see what happens. He could be bought as a withdrawn striker in terms of pace. We could still see him Nani and Valencia all on the pitch.

Personally, I'm excited. Young is the best winger outside the top 5 imo, and probably the 2nd best left winger in the league after Malouda. I think he can take a step up and think he can be a top class player for United.

I never said it was the answer I just said i think thats what will happen. I also believe Young is a better left winger than Nani is. I wouldnt say he is a damn fine left winger either, he can play there no doubt that but he is average.

thank god saf is the manager then

Dropping our best player last season just because he performs better on the right but still does an excellent job on the left is madness

Young will be a sub and will get regular appearances as a sub

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I think it's a little to soon to state where we expect Young to play. We need to see what happens. He could be bought as a withdrawn striker in terms of pace. We could still see him Nani and Valencia all on the pitch.

Personally, I'm excited. Young is the best winger outside the top 5 imo, and probably the 2nd best left winger in the league after Malouda. I think he can take a step up and think he can be a top class player for United.
    This is true. Chico could get injured or lose form and Rooney could play up top on his own with Young in behind him.

thank god saf is the manager then

Dropping our best player last season just because he performs better on the right but still does an excellent job on the left is madness

Can't believe you think this but carry on.

Can't believe you think this but carry on.

yap but he isnt better than any thing we have right now

He'll get a few starts at the start of the season because of the copa but when the big games come he'll be on the bench

thank god saf is the manager and not use anyway

The thing is he doesnt do an "excellent" job on the left. He does a job there but is far from world class. I would say Vidic was our best player last year too, im sure the "stats" dont agree with me here though. Nani has a great start to the season but gradually ran out of steam.

Its like putting Vidic to left back just because he had a great season last year at centre back. Nani will fight it out Valencia for the right wing and will play a lot of games but for the important games i believe Valencia will get the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

United have given themselves options simple as that. It's basically a 3 into 2 situation on the wings, with Park also in the mix for bigger games. Take last season as an example - Valencia missed 6 months through injury and Nani went off the boil in the last 3 months of the season. Those scenarios are now covered for. Ferguson will rotate and pick based on form - look at the run-in... Nani was dropped despite being outstanding until February.

Arguing over a pecking order is pointless at this stage, I would doubt that even Ferguson knows who is going to emerge as first choice. I'd say he is happy enough to have three wingers all motivated to perform and prove themselves worthy of starting the big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think this whole argument is rendered null and void by the fact that United have only a small handfull of players who can truly call themselves first choice.

Only Rio, Vidic, Evra and Rooney of the current squad can say with any confoidence they'll definitely play if fit and ready to go. Everyone else in the squad is liable to be rotated in and out if and when Fergie sees a role for them in the next game -the same will be true of Ashley Young, as it is for his rivals on the wings Nani, Park and Tony.

Saying he'll be a definite first choice starter on the left is no more stupid a claim than saying that he'll be a sub most of the time. The reality lies somewhere in the middle, as it does for the majority of players at the club. The fact that people who watch United every week think any different is surprising.

Its also ridiculous people are finding problems with a new signing when it gives us far and away the best and most varied collection of wingers in the league, if not Europe.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else think Young was signed as an option to move Park into a more central role, like he played with South Korea?

yap but he isnt better than any thing we have right now

He'll get a few starts at the start of the season because of the copa but when the big games come he'll be on the bench

you are being foolish here HS.

Simply because you can't know. You can't know that Young won't make the LW spot his own based on early season performances. You don't know that Nani will be here come the start of the season. You don't know that Park will be here come the start of the season. You simply can't say Young will mainly be a bench player because we have no idea how things are going to pan out.

For an attacking game, Nani on the left and Valencia on the right was the option last season, and the correct one. However, if Young proves himself more able on the left than Nani has done (and the perforamnces at the back end of last season on the left were not all that impressive) then we could see Nani on the right and Young on the left as the first choice option - or indeed Young and Valencia.

We have some great wing options now - and it will be up to the players in question to show that they deserve to start. Fergie won't have favourites for the season, the man in form will be the man in possession.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think this whole argument is rendered null and void by the fact that United have only a small handfull of players who can truly call themselves first choice.

Only Rio, Vidic, Evra and Rooney of the current squad can say with any confoidence they'll definitely play if fit and ready to go. Everyone else in the squad is liable to be rotated in and out if and when Fergie sees a role for them in the next game -the same will be true of Ashley Young, as it is for his rivals on the wings Nani, Park and Tony.

Saying he'll be a definite first choice starter on the left is no more stupid a claim than saying that he'll be a sub most of the time. The reality lies somewhere in the middle, as it does for the majority of players at the club. The fact that people who watch United every week think any different is surprising.

Its also ridiculous people are finding problems with a new signing when it gives us far and away the best and most varied collection of wingers in the league, if not Europe.

this. and as I said in the Villa thread when asked if he would be worth it as a signing.
    Yes he is. I think Young is getting a slightly hard deal because with only a year left most think he should be cheaper but if you ignore his contract and just thinkis signing Young for that price and having him for the peak (if not all) the remainder of his career is worth the quoted price imo.

Another 2 areas that I think he is judged harshly are his tracking back and sometimes his all round ability.

Firstly he works rediculously hard on a pitch, covers huge amounts of ground and is always defending as well as wanting to lead the attacks but its if he moans or loses the ball that often get focused on.

Secondly most people dont recognise just how often for Villa he is double marked or man markedout of a game, with a better standard of player around him less attension will payed to him so he should get more chances.

having said all that im happy with the money and not too sad to see the backof him but i do think Ferguson (who is a master at rotation) will get the best out of him and with Giggs now a part time CM and many cup competitions plus his versatility I think he will be a very solid addittion to your squad

the guy can play right or left wing and as a support striker and with the amount of games inc all cups united play each season and how much Fergie rotates even star performers (Nani/Berbatov) I can easily see him playing in enough games to be considerd a starter even if he isnt in every first 11. I certainly doubt he will be unhappy with the amount of overall game time he gets especially if there is an injury to Valencia or Nani

you are being foolish here HS.

Simply because you can't know. You can't know that Young won't make the LW spot his own based on early season performances. You don't know that Nani will be here come the start of the season. You don't know that Park will be here come the start of the season. You simply can't say Young will mainly be a bench player because we have no idea how things are going to pan out.

For an attacking game, Nani on the left and Valencia on the right was the option last season, and the correct one. However, if Young proves himself more able on the left than Nani has done (and the perforamnces at the back end of last season on the left were not all that impressive) then we could see Nani on the right and Young on the left as the first choice option - or indeed Young and Valencia.

We have some great wing options now - and it will be up to the players in question to show that they deserve to start. Fergie won't have favourites for the season, the man in form will be the man in possession.

Dont think I am Mitch

Youngs aston villa career when he was on the wing hasnt been as good as Nani for one. Just Young is alot better set piece take but I dont think that warrents a start .But your right its to early to say but if we dont lose any wingers during the summer ill be very surprised of Young will be starting the big games

I was wrong about berba so I maybe wrong about young, who knows but as iv said before im very sceptical about him and he never really set the league alight for me but he's coming to a better team now, so who knows but I wish him the best of luck thou

• Advertisement

I was wrong about berba so I maybe wrong about young, who knows but as iv said before im very sceptical about him and he never really set the league alight for me but he's coming to a better team now, so who knows but I wish him the best of luck thou

Well he won YPOTY one season and several player of the month awards, 3 in one year in fact so I would say he has set the league alight and he will prove you quite wrong.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think Young will be a great signing. Obviously all moves are subject to the the whims of fate, but I'm looking forward to seeing him play for United.

Well he won YPOTY one season and several player of the month awards, 3 in one year in fact so I would say he has set the league alight and he will pove you quite wrong.

:(

I forgot about the YPOTY but he hasnt really gone on from that has it?
    Maybe a change of scene will do him good.

regarding the sad face, you should be delighted you got great money for me, silly money in fact.

He set the league more alight than Valencia did at Wigan, and he proved to be a great signing for us.

I forgot about the YPOTY but he hasnt really gone on from that has it?
    Maybe a change of scene will do him good.

regarding the sad face, you should be delighted you got great money for me, silly money in fact.

meh, it's not my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    young is massively over rated, he isnt any better then Valencia or Nani. Waste of money when untied are crying out for center midfielders

you cannot state this until the transfer window shuts or fergie says shopping done...

i expect 2 more signings with at least one replacement for scholes, with possibly one of the young lads replacing gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Happy enough signing him, hopefully he'll just get better and better.

He says ammm so much, think someone said he said it 51 times in that interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nothing like a youtube video to get you excited about a player.

Happy enough signing him, hopefully he'll just get better and better.

He says ammm so much, think someone said he said it 51 times in that interview.

The fact that he keeps mentioning the Aaaaaammmm-erican tour and that they start training on the 4th of July makes me think theres some form of subliminal messaging behind this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Delighted Young is now a United player. Good technique, eye for a goal, eye for a pass, able to beat a man or two and plenty of pace.

Exactly what United need in the squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement