Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

eagle eye wrote: »
    You say you are from that 'general' area, so why did you pick United then. There are loads of clubs in that general area but you picked the biggest club. I'm not criticising you for it either, its human nature I think to want to support the biggest team. Its just that I wouldn't support a team because they are big or successful, I'd need some good reason to support any team. Like to have lived there or know somebody that was playing for them at the time or something else. It would have to be more personal for me than just that they are big and/or successful.

If you read his post again, you'll see where he mentions United not winning anything for the first 10 years he supported them. Plenty here will remember before United won the league in 1993. After all 26 years did pass between 1967 and 1993. I know I do anyway.

I remember looking at the all time league ladder in a newspaper after Leeds won the league in 1992 and imagining what it would be like if United actually won 1 league in my time, never mind pass out Liverpool. If my young self from 1992 saw that United would get to 19 titles before Liverpool I'd have laughed at you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Why didn't you pick lesser teams then?

Or were you just attracted to the bigger teams?

He's a fan of Blackburn for fúck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Why didn't you pick lesser teams then?

Or were you just attracted to the bigger teams?
    They are the only teams in Boston in those sports. I also follow the Revolution who haven't been hugely successful in their sport. The Bruins were muck for all the time I was over there, the Celtics were too. The Patriots got to a Superbowl while I was there but were terrible for the first two seasons I followed them and were not great for the next couple after the Superbowl appearance. The Red Sox won one pennant while I was there, they never got close to a World Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No shít :pac:

Anyway, found an interesting Website, Any fans of Mink_Man should check it out :P

There is a strong chance he became a fan around 1993-1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair play to him for sticking with them then, considering all the **** that came after

greendom wrote: »
    Fair play to him for sticking with them then, considering all the **** that came after

Oh yeah, there were a lot of Blackburn and Newcastle "fans" around in that era. Good to see somebody sticking with the club.

I was supporting them before Jack Walker took over the club. And that was 1991 by the way not '93.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lots of rumours on twitter now that Sanchez will travel to Barca on Monday to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

If Sanchez does go to Barcelona, I'd love us to inquire about Affellay's (sp) availability. He had a bit of a hissy fit already about not being in the team full time so with them signing another forward minded player, that could impact his playing time more.

I reckon they would sell him for a big enough offer. I think he's a smashing player and would be well suited to England.

If Wenger is so keen on keeping Nasri maybe we could buy Wilshere instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I was supporting them before Jack Walker took over the club. And that was 1991 by the way not '93.

Who gives a fúck. I hope they get relegated this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Lots of rumours on twitter now that Sanchez will travel to Barca on Monday to sign.

United have also held talks about bringing the Chile international to Old Trafford, though Ferguson is yet to make a formal offer and is expected to direct significantly more of his transfer budget towards Modric.
    Following discussions with Sanchez's agent, United are confident that they are the 22-year-old player's preferred destination, should he move to the Premier League, and that only Barcelona precede them as a suitor.
    They are also aware that Barca are more likely to add Guiseppe Rossi, the Villarreal striker, to their attack than Sanchez.
    While Villarreal are still to agree a fee for Rossi, United have been kept informed of the progress of that deal as they retain a buy-back option on Rossi as part of the Italian's 2007 transfer to the Spanish side.
    City were told they were third in line for Sanchez's signature before Chelsea entered the bidding, and have been monitoring the situation with increasing anxiety. According to a source involved in the negotiations, Sanchez is pushing to join Barca or United, and will demand higher wages if Udinese elect to sell him elsewhere.

When did I say that Jack Walker took over in 1993? I just said there is a CHANCE that it MAY have been 1993-1995 when you became a fan. In other words, when they were challenging for or winning the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thread hasnt started well, has it? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nice new thread, pity the first few pages have been infiltrated with the hater, bring on the preseason...

When did I say that Jack Walker took over in 1993? I just said there is a CHANCE that it MAY have been 1993-1995 when you became a fan. In other words, when they were challenging for or winning the Premiership.
    Yeah whatever, I said earlier on that I wouldn't start supporting a team just because they are successful. But there were a few fairweather fans around when we won the league. As I said earlier it must be human nature for most people to want to follow a big/successful club. United have been a huge club for years upon years, the biggest in England for as long as I've been alive. So people are drawn to that because its a big social group I suppose and there is always something to talk about with your mates when you follow a big club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Shiny shiny :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Headshot wrote: »

Oh I don't know.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Headshot wrote: »

Start as we mean to go on.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I'd be amazed if utd tried to buy modric now chelsea have made a bid for him, same goes for schneider as well. Hope they buy someone fairly soon though, preseason is soon enough i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

If Wenger is so keen on keeping Nasri maybe we could buy Wilshere instead? :)

or Fabregas :)

or Fabregas :)

I'd actually rather Nasri or Wilshire.

Although since we are in dreamland I'd rather Messi, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Xavi and Iniesta :pac:

Schweinsteiger

Xavi
    Iniesta

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Rooney

Think it would win anything? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Pro. F wrote: »
    *Looks around and sniffs*...

*Carries on with the topic*

I agree that he is less skillful compared to those lads. But a player can still be tidy on the ball and good enough in that aspect of the game to help us achieve our goals without being as skillful as those guys. They would be excellent, but they would almost be overkill when you consider the price and difficulty of getting them. We don't need someone who can unpick defences, we already have that in Rooney and Berba, we just need someone who can keep us ticking over and link our brilliant defence and our brilliant attack. Then the team will start functioning properly and all the excellent fighting spirit, self belief and skillful players that we already have will really shine.

On the point of our quest to compete with Barcelona, I'd like to point out that we don't need to play like them in order to compete with them. We do need to be able to hold onto and use the ball better, I definitely agree with that. But there are lots of players who could help us do that - not just the world class creative players like you mention.

I just don't see Fellaini as United 1st XI material.

What about Daniele de Rossi?

The Modric stuff could also be horsesh1te..."sources say this" and "sources say that". We're not out of the game just yet.

Jesus I hope we can get Modric.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'd actually rather Nasri or Wilshire.

Although since we are in dreamland I'd rather Messi, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Xavi and Iniesta :pac:

Schweinsteiger

Xavi
    Iniesta

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Rooney

Think it would win anything? :pac:

Nah the other teams would have a few extra players.... they would need them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

"Chelsea face the threat of a points deduction – if found guilty of tapping up Luka Modric.
    Furious Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is set to report the Blues to the Premier League. He warned Chelsea in writing not to pursue Modric and has now accused them of making public a bid for the player in order to unsettle him."

This could be fun. Chelsea docked points & we get Modric :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Discodog wrote: »
    "Chelsea face the threat of a points deduction – if found guilty of tapping up Luka Modric.
    Furious Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is set to report the Blues to the Premier League. He warned Chelsea in writing not to pursue Modric and has now accused them of making public a bid for the player in order to unsettle him."

Ha, brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I wouldn't like to see them docked points at all.

Every club nowadays seems to do it (and it seems United may have done it with Jones).

That and if they get docked points and end up winning the league, that would be fúcking horrible.

If they get docked points and we win the league, then they have their excuse sorted before the season starts.

I'd prefer everyone starts on a level playing field and the best team wins :)

Well I would pooh my pants with sheer joy :D

PS Liverpool tapped up Jones not us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yay, new thread.

Right I'm off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Exactly! then we made our move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Alexis Sanchez signed Monday in Barcelona
    Reportedly, Alexis Sanchez will be located in Barcelona Monday to sign his contract. Chilean striker would have obtained permission to leave the national team to travel to Spain. Friday night, a party was organized by his teammates for the selection in his honor to congratulate him on this great step forward. The player refused the offers fabulous Manchester United and City for less pay in Barcelona. The transfer would amount to 35 million euros plus various bonuses. - OC

l'Equipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

129173781420498650.jpg

Not sure where he'd fit but still would of liked him at the club. I grow tired of other clubs beating us to players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Exactly! then we made our move.

The transfer clause was in the press the day before United signed him, so everybody knew about it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anyone else think the whole tapping up thing should just be scrapped??
    It goes on all the time and how else can you know if a player would be interested if it's someone the other club doesn't want to sell.
    All it takes is a mention to a newspaper anyway if you want to get a players attention,it seems a pointless rule to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mmmm... New thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To be honest, I'm absolutely delighted that someone is doing this to Tottenham.

Redknapp has constantly done it throughout his career and he'll soon realise it's not nice when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Well I would pooh my pants with sheer joy :D

Looks to me like Blackburn are only annoyed at one specific club and it sure as **** ain't Liverpool...Oh look quotes:

"We have reasons to believe that the player's agent and maybe the player had been in touch [with United] for two to three months before permission was granted. I was ready to take Manchester United on, ready to go to a tribunal if that's what it led to."

Here's what they thought of dastardly old Liverpool and sneaky Arsenal:

"These are great clubs and they acted entirely properly in all their dealings with us. It is a shame for them that they didn't get him..."

Pretty clearcut to me who Blackburn feel acted improperly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2005290/Blackburn-owners-We-let-Jones-feared-harming-career-fighting-legal-battle.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Looks to me like Blackburn are only annoyed at one specific club and it sure as **** ain't Liverpool...Oh look quotes:

"We have reasons to believe that the player's agent and maybe the player had been in touch [with United] for two to three months before permission was granted. I was ready to take Manchester United on, ready to go to a tribunal if that's what it led to."

"These are great clubs and they acted entirely properly in all their dealings with us. It is a shame for them that they didn't get him..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2005290/Blackburn-owners-We-let-Jones-feared-harming-career-fighting-legal-battle.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Maybe that explains the extra £4m they claim United are paying over the £16m. Or it could be just face saving bluster on their part. Idiotic letting him have such a low buy out clause in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ah quotes from the daily mail. Well that sorts that out then.

But do keep us up to date, though we love the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the whole tapping up thing should just be scrapped??
    It goes on all the time and how else can you know if a player would be interested if it's someone the other club doesn't want to sell.
    All it takes is a mention to a newspaper anyway if you want to get a players attention,it seems a pointless rule to me.

I've always thought it was a stupid rule. I should be allowed to talk to any potential employers I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ah, I love the smell of a new tread in the morning. Smells like.......... Muppetry. :D

lordgoat wrote: »

Quotes are not opinion. Even the Mail would unlikely to risk litigation over quotes that were not accurate.

The Blackburn owners are looking more stupid with every comment that they make. The Premier League will ignore the letter & it will make it less likely that Blackburn will be listened to should they have a genuine complaint in the future.

If Blackburn continue to slur United & make improper, allegations without proof then they could end up on the receiving end of legal action.

The episode is a classic example of a foreign owner interfering in something that they do not understand. I even feel a bit sorry for the Blackburn management who have to put up with this.

Javier the little star! His 6th goal in the tournament after only 4 games.

How can you not love the guy? Top scorer next season...anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Javier Hernandez > Everything

And that should be a tag for this thread rather than the absolute shíté that currently occupies the tag area. Some seriously embarrassing stuff in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Someone kept telling me Barca only had a 40m transfer kitty, yet today it's been reported they've signed Sanchez, an official approach for Fabregas has been made and a bid for Rossi rejected.

The worst of all of this is that if they do succeed in nabbing Fabregas it seriously reduces any hopes we may of had of signing Nasri.

I think the last few transfer seasons we've had to learn a great deal of humility and it appears as though that could continue for at least another year, as our main transfer targets vanish one by one.

We should act on the Rossi buy back clause just to spite them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How can you not love the guy? Top scorer next season...anyone?

I'm even fond of him ... Weird !

Great signing , great attitude , great future .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Im in love with a Mexican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

lordgoat wrote: »

The quality of the newspaper means little to me as long as they are reporting something with direct quotes that can be legally challenged then its fine as a source. At least I have provided direct quotes from the club who believe United tapped up their player. If you or any United fan can provide some direct quotes from Blackburn stating that Liverpool engaged in tapping up Jones then by all means post them?

Frankly I couldn't care less if United tapped up the player but I do care when Liverpool is wrongly accused of it based on nothing. In fact, Blackburn seem quite happy with Liverpools and Arsenals behaviour by all accounts...there is only one club in the doghouse based on their quotes to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

The quality of the newspaper means little to me as long as they are reporting something with direct quotes that can be legally challenged then its fine as a source. At least I have provided direct quotes from the club who believe United tapped up their player. If you or any United fan can provide some direct quotes from Blackburn stating that Liverpool engaged in tapping up Jones then by all means post them?

Frankly I couldn't care less if United tapped up the player but I do care when Liverpool is wrongly accused of it based on nothing. In fact, Blackburn seem quite happy with Liverpools and Arsenals behaviour by all accounts...there is only one club in the doghouse based on their quotes to date.

Liverpool and Arsenal didn't get Jones, Utd did. Blackburn were going to be pissed off at whatever club "took" Jones from them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement