Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Good post by flah there . The laws need to be changed for any english team to get close to Barcas set up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm talking about becoming the top club in Europe not beating them in a one off game. They are universally regarded as the top club team on the continent. We wouldn't take that claim from them if we managed to snatch a win over two legs against them next year. They are regarded as such because they've won the CL twice in three years, because they have comprehensively dominated their domestic league for the last three seasons and because they routinely play teams off the pitch (us included on the last two times we've played - embarrassingly so). They are far and away the best team around. They may not be 1990's Milam yet but that only because they're in the middle of their run, not at the end. I'd be pretty confident they'll eclipse them in terms of success by the time their cycle of success ends.

I also think you're ludicrously deluded if you think with confidence the addition of Modric/M'Villa alone would be enough to beat them btw, but that wasn't really my point in the first place. See the bigger picture for Christ's sake man.

Frankly, I really don't care about the universal perception. For me, I've seen better teams, and imo, the Barca team with Ronaldinho was better than this current team, albeit just. But for me, football is ultimately defined by winning trophies.

I want to do it playing attacking football. I don't want to play in Barca's style, I don't actually enjoy it. Possession based football is not how United should play, we play direct attacking football. Ronaldo personified United's approach to football, get the ball, run at goal.

For me, I want to win the CL and win the PL. I want to do it the United way. Looking at our team, we have imo the best centre back pairing in the world, with two very good fullbacks. We have one of the best strikers in the world. We have an exciting young striker who is exploding onto the scene. We have two of the best wingers in the premiership, and possibly top 5 in the world in our team.

Our team is top class, bar one key area. That key area is why we lost so comprehensively, because it's the core area in big games.
    With a midfield of Fabregas and Essien, I think we'd be equal to Barca. With a midfield of Modric and M'Vila, I think they could step up and be equal. If we fix midfield, we've got a ****ing outstanding squad and a great chance at becoming the PL and CL champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I see now that the thread will descend into a retarded four page debate on whether United could beat Barca in a one off game with Modric in the team. Way to spectacularly miss the point folks. Morons.

Angry Mystic Meg.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Good post by flah there . The laws need to be changed for any english team to get close to Barcas set up .

It is a good post, but what you're hoping to happen will not. In fact, thats another reason why English teams (and country) is suffering. There's been a subtle move away from the more physical style of play and the onus is completely on retaining possession and using it well. The rules will be moving more and more in favour of the team who can keep possession and they penalise any physical team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I hear a lot of talk of overtaking Barcelona since the Cl Final. I think people need to realise afew things. No amount of money spent in teh transfer window would catch us up with Barca. You could actuall assemble a world 11 with everyone but Barca players and I'd still back Barca to beat them. If the club truly wants to get on a par with them then it will require fiundamental reform of the entire club from the bottom up, going alll the way donw to the way the under 16's are coached. The set up Barca have is phenonemal, the way they train kids from day one to play and fit into a particular style is the real secret to their success. The fact that they can supplement their unbleieveable youth set up with signing the best in the world like Villa, Sanchez etc just makes the trask doubly harder.

Nothing we do realistically in this transfer window will make a dent in the gap between us and them. Madrid have blown hundreds of millions and still are very much second best. In the short term we need to look after the squad and keep it challenging consistently at the top level. The age and type of player Fergie is currently investing in suggests he is planning to keep the squad strong (the bedrock of recent success) while planning for the future too. The PL will always be an continues to be aour bread and butter and we face some strong chellenge in the coming years from Chelsea, City and Liverpool. At the moment I'm more worried about straying ahead of them than catching Barca tbh. The job of catching Barca is a more long term aim that requires more fundamental reform than simply investing heavily in the transfer market. It is an unbelieveably difficult and compex task.

I completely disagree with this theory of catching up with Barca. I think a lot of people are thinking like you on this Flah, but I think it is a huge mistake.

Barca are ahead of everybody else in terms of ability to win big games, but not that far ahead. Their style is completely different and their technique on the ball is light years ahead, but they are still beatable. You say that Madrid spent stupid money, but they wasted a lot of that with unnecessary multiples of redundancy in their attacking options. They still lacked a proper a defensive CM and their back line was not up to scratch. A few key signings and Jose into the second season of his project (as long as he gets full support to enact his style) should see them much closer.

Arsenal (Arsenal :eek:) got close to beating them. And that was despite their lack of pace on the wings and their un-coordinated defence. But they had the midfield to build some attacks even in the face of Barca's relentless pressure and it got them very close to the final.

Last year Inter beat them. I know the second leg was a backs to the wall roulette job, but look at the first leg. Look what Jose showed a good, solid balanced team can do against them. I know the Barca line-up has changed since then, but not the fundamental strategy or general quality.

Your talk of requiring a complete rebuild and reform down to the YD to match them. That is only what would be required to match them in terms of style. We don't need to do that. They can be beaten with styles other then their own.

We have a very strong defence (it was the best in the world, maybe that can continue if De Gea hits the ground running), a terrific strike pairing, good wide options and the best manager of all time driving on the team and filling them with more hunger, fight and belief than any other team out there. Just one or two key signings in the centre and the team will be complete. Why stop short of that?

I honestly think you are making out like Barca can't be beaten because you don't want their to be any criticism if we don't sign some quality in central midfield. I think you will always try and say that our options there are as good as could be realistically hoped or as that better quality for that position isn't important. But to me it is blindingly obvious that that is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PHB wrote: »
    Frankly, I really don't care about the universal perception. For me, I've seen better teams, and imo, the Barca team with Ronaldinho was better than this current team, albeit just.

Oh lol.

Stopped reading here obv.

You used to be a great poster, you've absolutely lost the plot the last few weeks.

Very good post Pro. F, yourself and Flah are both right really, just coming at it from different angles.

Business as usual.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Oh lol.

Stopped reading here obv.

You used to be a great poster, you've absolutely lost the plot the last few weeks.

I'm sorry my fall from grace doesn't suit you, I'd suggest the ignore list if you don't want to discuss things.

Ronaldinho with Barca played utterly incredible attacking football. Barca now have shifted to being more defensive imo.

The whole world glosses over everything Barca do, but as Pro F. pointed out, Arsenal nearly beat them, and probably should have. Madrid beat them in the Copa, and lost the league to them by 4 points. It's much tighter than people make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

SK1979 wrote: »
    It is a good post, but what you're hoping to happen will not. In fact, thats another reason why English teams (and country) is suffering. There's been a subtle move away from the more physical style of play and the onus is completely on retaining possession and using it well. The rules will be moving more and more in favour of the team who can keep possession and they penalise any physical team.

The laws I meant was training under 16s for 90 mins a day that's all that is allowed in England , wheras in Spain no such limit exists or its a lot longer if there is a limit .

Coupled with the fact Spain has 18 times the amount of Uefa approved coaches than England times .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

With a midfield of Fabregas and Essien, I think we'd be equal to Barca. With a midfield of Modric and M'Vila, I think they could step up and be equal. If we fix midfield, we've got a ****ing outstanding squad and a great chance at becoming the PL and CL champions.

Where are you getting the idea we are going to get Fabregas,Essien & Modric from? M'Vila is the only player possible.

I think if we do sort out midfield we can compete with Barca but it will have to consist of a 3 man midfield. Barca's recent cup defeats/tough games came when each team(Arsenal,Madrid,Inter & Chelsea) had 3 men in central midfield to compete v Barca's 3 in midfield. I dont think Giggs could play against them either as he just doesnt have the energy to put the pressure on them constantly.

The laws I meant was training under 16s for 90 mins a day that's all that is allowed in England , wheras in Spain no such limit exists or its a lot longer if there is a limit .

Coupled with the fact Spain has 18 times the amount of Uefa approved coaches than England times .

The geography rule is gone as well isn't it?

Those are both key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The way people talk about Barcalona in here anyone would think we have to play them every second game....

Chances are we might not even have to play them in the coming season!

I think in the grand scheme of things we should be looking at our own team and never mind what barca do. There a special case no other team play like them so working your first 11 around a pretty much one off game is bloody hard. We need a proper partner for Flecther and surely the main men at United have being planning targets long before this summer.

Im fairly confident we will be ok and we will sign at least one or two more players that are needed. If not then we will of dropped the ball BIG TIME hopefully thats not what we will be saying come the end of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

. . .
    I want to do it playing attacking football. I don't want to play in Barca's style, I don't actually enjoy it. Possession based football is not how United should play, we play direct attacking football. Ronaldo personified United's approach to football, get the ball, run at goal. . . .

Kanchelskis! Some great stuff here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm sorry my fall from grace doesn't suit you, I'd suggest the ignore list if you don't want to discuss things.

Ronaldinho with Barca played utterly incredible attacking football. Barca now have shifted to being more defensive imo.

The whole world glosses over everything Barca do, but as Pro F. pointed out, Arsenal nearly beat them, and probably should have. Madrid beat them in the Copa, and lost the league to them by 4 points. It's much tighter than people make out.

1 Barcelona (C) 38 25 9 4 73 29 +44 84Thats in 2004/2005

1 Barcelona (C) 38 30 6 2 95 21 +74 96Thats in 2010/2011

Barca conceded less last season because they are a better team now then they were 6 years ago

25 More goals aswell so you're about them being more defensive.

If football is about winning trophies as you say, then this Barca side is the greatest they've ever had.

You're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Honestly, the level of analysis on here sometimes makes Jamie Redknapp look like Jose f*cking Mourinho.
    Way to spectacularly miss the point folks. Morons.

Well done, that was classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Barca conceded less last season because they are a better team now then they were 6 years ago

If football is about winning trophies as you say, then this Barca side is the greatest they've ever had.

You're talking nonsense.
    THIS

they may have had better defenders back then but you can't be scored against if you have the ball is their mentality so that makes them better defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I lye somewhere in the middle on this I think. Barca are beatable but you have to play the right system and have the right players and even then you need a lot of luck. United did it in 2008 in the semis because of Scholes brilliance and stellar defense and a bit of luck, Inter 2 years later because of stellar defense, top strikers and a lot of luck. I'm starting to believe that a non-defensive oriented team can't beat them unless they have a huge off day.

I think Chelsea had the perfect balance to beat them in 2009 but got screwed over. Madrid are slowly but surely getting to the point that they can beat them. The team has top attackers that will take the few chances they get and can drop deep to get the ball when things are going wrong. Jose will have them well drilled next season. I don't see any combination of United players that can attack them and not get outclassed.

The thing is though you can still be completely outclassed and get something. The first half of the final this season was a mauling after the first 10 minutes and yet United went in with a draw. For all Barca's possession etc. their attack is very wasteful and United's was very clinical towards the end of the season. I still think the Messi goal that VDS should have saved took the wind out of the United sails and United would have held out possibly until the end if that didn't go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pro. F wrote: »
    Well done, that was classy.

Pure exasperation. You try and open up a wider debate about whats required to be the top club in Europe, but all you get back is "yeah will if we had Modric we'd beat them for sure," which is spectacularly wide of the point and discussion I was hoping we'd have. You can't dress it up any other way but to say that teh spastic quotient has risen dramatically in the last while and the Summer has only exacerbated it. That might not be classy, but its the truth, pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

This thread has become a joke over the last ten or so pages. I don't know why people bother in this forum anymore, I rarely can be arsed posting paragraphs as the bullshit is so laughable.

Pure exasperation. You try and open up a wider debate about whats required to be the top club in Europe, but all you get back is "yeah will if we had Modric we'd beat them for sure," which is spectacularly wide of the point and discussion I was hoping we'd have. You can't dress it up any other way but to say that teh spastic quotient has risen dramatically in the last while and the Summer has only exacerbated it. That might not be classy, but its the truth, pure and simple.

I don't help either - I stopped contributing in a positive way probably the season before last :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

the one thing about European football in a whole is the coaching at kids and youth level is totally different,european footballers have control over the ball have a lot of vision there attitude is to actually play football,an example would be say o'shea at full back will pump the ball down the line most european players look for a pass to keep possession,this is drummed into kids and youth players,the attitude when you lose possession is to win it back quickly this gives you the chance to break quickly with the other team out of position,obviously if you have players the quality of barca it so much easier,they dont need as much time on the ball as they have "taken the picture" and no where they are on the pitch and were team mates and the opposition are,i have also seen that saf arguments about the lack of time being aloud to train young players has been agreed by the FA and from next season will be aloud to train them a lot longer,european coaches have been training the spain/barca way for 10 years now and it has only slowly been changing here and in the uk for the last couple of years.
    it's great to see the likes of smalling,jones and the twins very comfortable on the ball bodes well for the future,but for now foreign players(mostly)are well ahead of british players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Can't wait to sign Modric to stop all this snite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nailz wrote: »
    This thread has become a joke over the last ten or so pages. I don't know why people bother in this forum anymore, I rarely can be arsed posting paragraphs as the bullshit is so laughable.

1+

Some posters are really putting me off reading this thread and the strange thing is they use to be top contributors but they are annoyance at this stage

So im off until august or so

bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'm talking about becoming the top club in Europe not beating them in a one off game. They are universally regarded as the top club team on the continent. We wouldn't take that claim from them if we managed to snatch a win over two legs against them next year. They are regarded as such because they've won the CL twice in three years, because they have comprehensively dominated their domestic league for the last three seasons and because they routinely play teams off the pitch (us included on the last two times we've played - embarrassingly so). They are far and away the best team around. They may not be 1990's Milam yet but that only because they're in the middle of their run, not at the end. I'd be pretty confident they'll eclipse them in terms of success by the time their cycle of success ends.

I also think you're ludicrously deluded if you think with confidence the addition of Modric/M'Villa alone would be enough to beat them btw, but that wasn't really my point in the first place. See the bigger picture for Christ's sake man.

I see now that the thread will descend into a retarded four page debate on whether United could beat Barca in a one off game with Modric in the team. Way to spectacularly miss the point folks. Morons.

Wow, thats quite a big question, and one that probably has all the big clubs in Europe scratching their heads.
    I completely agree that it takes more than parachuting in a few new players.
    For an English club to do this, it would require a change in the way the game is played over here. Probably something more like the way Arsenal play with a bit more steel and directness in front of goal.
    And thats the problem, I have long thought that England need to change the way that football is taught, if they are to compete with Spain etc.
    Will it happen? I doubt it. EPL fans are more impatient than a certain Russian owner and they only want to see fast direct million miles an hour attacking football. The changes need to start at grass roots.
    As Barca play possession football, you either have to try and do the same, or make sure that when you do get the ball, you dont waste the chances that come to you. I dont know much about the type of football Liverpool played when they were dominating europe, but I think it was one touch, pass and move football.
    So for Man U to become the top club in europe, I think a change in the way you play is required and players capable of adapting to that change.
    The change probably being the way you move the ball out from midfield to your strikers and not wasting possesion when you do have the ball, instead of whipping in hopeful crosses. The defence also have to be very comfortable on the ball, and be able to pick a pass, as well as win the ball back. If you look at Barca, they are individuals who move as a unit.

They are more defensive. It doesn't mean that they haven't found a more effective way of scoring more goals. Scoring goals doesnt equal attacking intent. That's what Pep has brought, incredibly defensive discipline combined with an incredible level of passing ability. It's why they are winning so much, why he's the better manager than Rikjard. Their possession based game produces an incredible amount of goals in the game.

You're talking nonsense.

I'm not saying it's not the best at winning trophies they've ever had. They are a phenonomal team.

I didn't say it's about winning trophies alone. It's about playing great football and winning. That's what I mean when I say better.

I simply stated that I thought the previous Barca side were better. Amazing to watch, exciting, exhilarating, fantastic. I find this Barca side much more dull.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't drink the cool aide about Barca. I don't really see them as the second coming of jesus that everyone else does.

You stated with a post that was simply, what it would take to beat Barca. You thought that it couldn't be done in one transfer window. Some posters, including myself, disagreed with you. Not least because we don't think Barca are as good.

Your analysis is based on a presumption that Barca are playing the best style of football and that they are almost unbeatable long term by doing it, and that people need to emulate their success. God forbid anyone challenge those assumptions. Your post here summed it up completely
    You could actuall assemble a world 11 with everyone but Barca players and I'd still back Barca to beat them.

Which is a ludicrous statement.

The response to your statments led you to say that the level of analysis was on par with Jamie Redknapp and that you thought people were "spastic". Fantastic contribution to the debate, really great way of getting into the arguments.

Your problem is that you can't deal with the idea that somebody might disagree with you.

Be careful up there on your horse, it's tough when you fall that far to the ground.

They are more defensive. It doesn't mean that they haven't found a more effective way of scoring more goals. Scoring goals doesnt equal attacking intent.

fckthat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Let's take a step back. United exist to win trophies. Having journalists **** themselves silly over their style of play is a distant second. With that in mind, it's far from pointless for United to try to bring some world class players into their midfield. They may not suddenly transform into the paradigm of the beautiful game, but they may have the edge to win those trophies that are their raison d'etre.

Let's also remember that last year en-route to the final, United faced a Chelsea side lumbered with a £50 million millstone, and a German side who weren't at the races. At the business end of next season, you'll have no Scholes, you'll have a year older Giggs (with a lot of personal issues to work out in between), and possibly no Gibson to aid rest and rotation. Forget about matching Barca's tiki-taka, a tough draw and it will be a real struggle to progress in the CL.

The likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney, Young, Chicarito will make mince meat of the league, and a lot of European teams. To compete on a European level, I really think you need some real class in the middle of the pitch.

You stated with a post that was simply, what it would take to beat Barca. You thought that it couldn't be done in one transfer window. Some posters, including myself, disagreed with you. Not least because we don't think Barca are as good.

Your analysis is based on a presumption that Barca are playing the best style of football and that they are almost unbeatable long term by doing it, and that people need to emulate their success. God forbid anyone challenge those assumptions. Your post here summed it up completely

It is based on the fact that they have a set up that is condusive to contuinuing their success long into teh future and dominating for many long years. it goes far beyon how good theri team is at the moment. i was hpeing to broaden teh debate beyond the rather simplistic and schoolyard levels of "our team is better than theirs, or would be if our midfied wasn't so crap."

The response to your statments led you to say that the level of analysis was on par with Jamie Redknapp and that you thought people were "spastic". Fantastic contribution to the debate, really great way of getting into the arguments.

Your problem is that you can't deal with the idea that somebody might disagree with you.

Be careful up there on your horse, it's tough when you fall that far to the ground.

People disagreeing with me isn't the problem, I'm well capable of discussing football with peopel who hold opposing views to me, as I do on a daily basis. The problem is the fact that you and others aren't deating the original point, you're happy to toddle off down the road of discussing how our tactics and personnel are/aren't good enough to beat them. I was hoping to look at the woder reasons why they're so good at what they do and why they're perfectly placed to do so for years to come. Thats fine but its a level of analysis thats been done to death. I thought people were capable of seeing the bigger picture and having a fresh and interesting discussion of same. I was wrong, as evidenced by your repeated and continuing inablity to get the point.

fckthat.jpg

Hard to disagree with PHB. Barca are dull as dishwater most of the time, and are far removed from Rijkaard's swashbuckling team. Pep's team are technically amazing, but I'd rather sit down and watch Rijkaard's Ronaldinho team.

Watching Rijkaard's team was like watching a Viking berserker, attacking with relentless force at incredible pace and tempo. Pep's Barca is like watching a fencer; slow, patient, methodical, technically amazing.

• Advertisement

Hard to disagree with PHB. Barca are dull as dishwater most of the time, and are far removed from Rijkaard's swashbuckling team. Pep's team are technically amazing, but I'd rather sit down and watch Rijkaard's Ronaldinho team.

Watching Rijkaard's team was like watching a Viking berserker, attacking with relentless force at incredible pace and tempo. Pep's Barca is like watching a fencer; slow, patient, methodical, technically amazing.

His assertion that "scoring goals does not equal attacking intent" however is one of the more stunningly retarded statements I've read in a long time. They must have scored over a hundred goals by mistake then.

His assertion that "scoring goals does not equal attacking intent" however is one of the more stunningly retarded statements I've read in a long time. They must have scored over a hundred goals by mistake then.

I presume what he means is that the current Barca take less risks in attack, but are more clinical when they do attack, which is a fair assessment, I think.

I presume what he means is that the current Barca take less risks in attack, but are more clinical when they do attack, which is a fair assessment, I think.

The fact that they are boring is because they absolutely destroy teams.

I'd say they spend 2x more time in the oppositions half, their defenders play 40 yards farther up the pitch and they've probably 5x as many shots every game as Rijkaard's team.

It's an unbelievably incorrect statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Quite a few posters are threatening to leave, moaning about muppetry & throwing the toys out of the pram. It's a discussion forum so argue your points instead of slagging others just because you disagree with them.

Of course Barca can be beaten - any team can. But to copy them would require changes in the fundamental way that the game is played in the UK.

Scholes was right when he said that young English players work as individuals & not as team players. SAF's great asset is getting the team to work & have a winning mentality. I reckon that he thinks that the only way to beat Barca is to concede goals but ultimately out score them :D.

I still think that Nani may go. Last season he had to prove his worth when Valencia came back. Now he has Young & Valencia to worry about & both of them have stated that competition for places does not worry them.

It may remain to be seen if Nani puts on the kind of displays that makes it impossible for SAF to drop him. SAF will always give a player a chance & he rarely drops players in form so they are in control of their destiny. The players that get picked are the ones who show passion & determination which possibly works against players like Berba & Nani.

He has no idea what he means. He's gone down the road of attacking the curent Barca team in a vain attempt to put them within touching distance of United, using points like the fact that they're "defensive" (LOL) which simple facts like their goals scored column disprove immediately. Unbelieveable.

"Goals do not equal attacking intent," - oh that's one of the best I've heard in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

What date does our pre-season tour kick off? Cant wait to see the reds play some games again. Will we be playing anything near a full strength team in the game v Barca does anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I'd say they spend 2x more time in the oppositions half, their defenders play 40 yards farther up the pitch and they've probably 5x as many shots every game as Rijkaard's team.

But it doesn't matter that you just made up 3 incorrect statements in your previous sentence :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They are incredible in terms of defense, overall possibly the best I have seen - the way they defend is amazing. They spend so much time in the oppo half because that is where they start defending - their defenders play '40 yards' further up the pitch because that is where they start defending.

Maybe they are not more defensive than the FR team, it is a tough one to argue but I think it is fair to say they are a lot better at defending than FR's team, and work a lo harder at defending.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    But it doesn't matter that you just made up 3 incorrect statements in your previous sentence :confused:

They spend far more time in the oppositions half, their defenders play much farther up the pitch and they've a lot more shots every game than Rijkaard's team.

There you go you fucking drooler.

• Advertisement

They spend a lot of time in the opponent's half and their defenders play higher up, but that's because their opposition normally sit very deep against them. Despite this, they spend 90% of the match passing it amongst each passing it amongst each other until the opening is just right to create a chance. Their ability to maintain possession is breathtaking, but it's some of the most risk averse football I've seen. They won't try for a goal unless the opportunity is perfect.

As for the bit in bold, I'd be really amazed if that was true. Anyone have stats for that?

When the mod comes to infract me can you leave the first line and just edit out the second one please?

TY.

You owe me for a new keyboard keano, I just spat coffee all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

As for the bit in bold, I'd be really amazed if that was true. Anyone have stats for that?

Nah he just made it up to help his argument out. But don't decide to make up your own stats to join in cos he'll argue they are "completely incorrect".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

They spend far more time in the oppositions half, their defenders play much farther up the pitch and they've a lot more shots every game than Rijkaard's team.

There you go you fucking drooler.

That's so unnecessary. Grow up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I cant understand people who dont think that Barcelona play an exciting brand of football. The tiki-taki style absolutely enthralls me. Watch the equaliser that the spanish U21's scored on wednesday night for an example of pure s*x football.

As for them being defensive, there's no way in hell that they are, yet they do defend better than any other team on the planet. :confused:

• Advertisement

That's so unnecessary. Grow up man.

Cry me a river :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Right I'm closing this thread for ten minutes or so to let everyone chill the fúck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Right. I'm hoping everyone can come to their senses now and not act like 3 year olds. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Just clicked in, whats the story?

I still hate ye tbh :pac:
    Keano! wrote: »
    Just clicked in, whats the story?

I finally flipped and instead of indirectly calling everyone a drooler, I directly called one guy a drooler.

I also said fuck.

I'm over it now, I'm sure we'll all be friends again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement