Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Keano! wrote: »
    Just clicked in, whats the story?
    Ronaldo is heading back to United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sure you's can't even get along together, hardly surprising everyone else hates you lot. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

amiable wrote: »
    Ronaldo is heading back to United

Ok, trying to be funny isn't working. ;)

On another note, wrote a 'rhyme' of the United season, 2010/2011, wondering what you's thought.

It's here on my own site and below in full. :)
    Dismissed by many, “They’re just a team in decline.”
    But Fergie just laughed as he downed some red wine.
    A new signing or two would just about do,
    But not as many as those wearing blue.
    Wayne caused a stir and a bit of a blur,
    But Gill calmed him down and ignored the silly slur.
    Other than that, it was tit-for-tat,
    As the new season beckoned, over nine months of, “Oi, ref! What the f*** was that?”
    For the first few weeks, the team was still in bed,
    As Chelsea took control and stormed miles ahead.
    But we stayed un-beaten, and picked up more points,
    The only problem was, performances were a disappoint.
    Be League or in Europe, we had to plough through,
    Nothing flash, nothing mad, no hullabaloo.
    A win against Wigan, in mid November,
    Sent us top of the League, that I remember.
    We never looked back, the minds were set,
    No one was getting ahead, we didn’t want to play roulette.
    Dimitar was magical and Chico was stunning,
    All we needed now was for Roo to get gunning.
    At the turn of the year, it all looked so rosy,
    But no counting chickens or getting too cosy.
    A title was in our sights, it was the main aim,
    But finally the FA arrived and entered the frame.
    Wayne forgot his manners and just said too much,
    One can only wonder would they act if he were Dutch?
    Fergie crossed the mark again, but was it a surprise?
    He likes a tussle with authority, you can see it in those eyes.
    City ended our Cup run, but we couldn’t moan,
    No excuses, no complaints, but at least we were home-grown.
    Mancini got his way, as dog had it’s day,
    But we had more important matters to deal with in May.
    We clicked into gear as we approached the run-in,
    Shrugging off Chelsea proving the squad had thick-skin.
    We simply powered to the end, what can I say?
    We were in the right place on the final day.
    Not over yet! There was still football to be played,
    A chance to grab a second trophy to bring on our parade.
    So many omens pointed in our favour,
    So much so, I had Wembley ’68 as my screen-saver.
    We showed up this time, unlike when in Rome,
    But just as before, Barca felt at home.
    We had a little hope, as Roo equalised,
    But it was all in vain, as we were left teary-eyed.
    But we’ll be back! And all the more stronger,
    Surely this Barca machine can’t go on much longer!
    It was a memorable season, with twists and turns,
    But recent events have caused some concerns.
    Some big departures have left us quite bare,
    Such as the magical Dutchman and that one with red hair.
    Already three new faces have passed the evaluation,
    We can only hope that they will meet expectation.
    Whatever the story, whatever the score,
    There’s just one thing that makes you smile even more.
    We saw our chance, we had our routine,
    Because as of now, it’s MUFC NINETEEN.

Feel free to share around the net, just credit the original source. ;)

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Frisbee wrote: »
    Right I'm closing this thread for ten minutes or so to let everyone chill the fúck out.
    Right. I'm hoping everyone can come to their senses now and not act like 3 year olds. Cheers.

Protip if you're trying to calm people down: Don't be patronising or condescending.

Usually helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

keane2097 wrote: »
    Cry me a river :rolleyes:

Are you 12?

Can you not go and play with some Lego instead of acting like an internet tough guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Are you 12?

Can you not go and play with some Lego instead of acting like an internet tough guy.

Was ten minutes not enough for you? We've all moved on, roll with the times man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Discodog wrote: »

I still think that Nani may go. Last season he had to prove his worth when Valencia came back. Now he has Young & Valencia to worry about & both of them have stated that competition for places does not worry them.

Replacing Nani with Young (who I do think will be a very good player for us), will weaken the squad imo.

There is no reason why all 4 (Nani, Valencia, Young, Park) won't all get ample opportunities next season. 2 quality players for every position is vital for a side potentially playing 60 games per season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Am I right in thinking United signed Young?
    We sign anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Also, for what its worth, I'd be incredibly disappointed to see Berba leave.

Him and Nani were outstanding for us, and dragged us through an incredibly tough first half of the season.

Very important we keep them both (and JOS for that matter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Protip if you're trying to calm people down: Don't be patronising or condescending.

Usually helps.

Protip if you don't want to be banned: Don't question Moderator decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Protip if you don't want to be banned: Don't question Moderator decisions.
    I didn't question your decision, in fact I agree with it.

Again with the condescending comments.

Forget I mentioned it :rolleyes:

@Baz

Young and Jones, the only two "confirmed" at the moment I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Did nobody get flahs point ? We all know Barca are a great team and of course any team can be beaten on any given day but that wasn't what I took from his point .

I read it that Barcas and Spanish footballs academy are that good the kids are taught so well that they are on whole different level to anything united can produce which is no fault of united because the rules aren't on they're side like they are for the Spanish .

Seems to be a lot of people missed that whole point .

Sorry from blabbing on .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I read it that Barcas and Spanish footballs academy are that good the kids are taught so well that they are on whole different level to anything united can produce which is no fault of united because the rules aren't on they're side like they are for the Spanish .
    Can you explain that?
    I don't doubt you just want to know more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can you explain that?

Kids in England can't sign for a club they live far away from and are only allowed to be trained for 90 minutes a day.

Can you explain that?

See my post earlier , I'm no expert on the youth set up but thats whats I understand it as .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Did nobody get flahs point ? We all know Barca are a great team and of course any team can be beaten on any given day but that wasn't what I took from his point .

Sorry from blabbing on .

I think clubs in the UK have coped on to the fact they were focusing too much on athleticism and physical attributes in the past number of years. They are finally realising the importance of technique in youngsters.

That fact plus the upcoming change in the rules (10,000 contact hours and the removal of the 90min rule) will enable the clubs to produce young players of the same calibre of Spain for example. This will all take years though to see tangible results.

TheTownie wrote: »
    I think clubs in the UK have coped on to the fact they were focusing too much on athleticism and physical attributes in the past number of years. They are finally realising the importance of technique in youngsters.

That fact plus the upcoming change in the rules (
    and the removal of the 90min rule) will enable the clubs to produce young players of the same calibre of Spain for example. This will all take years though to see tangible results.

This sounds interesting ? Googled it couldn't find much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

See below;
    TheTownie wrote: »
    In other news, this will have a huge impact on the development of youth in the UK. That 90 minute rule will be scrapped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Here you go!
    The Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, has said that English coaches must be allowed to spend more time with young players, if such players are to ever display the kind of passing ability that was displayed by Barcelona at Wembley on Saturday night.

After Manchester United's 3-1 Champions League final defeat, Ferguson said Barcelona were the best club side he had ever faced as a manager. The statistics to back up that claim were obvious. United completed 301 passes in the match but Barça's Lionel Messi, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta beat that between them as the Catalan team took 63% of possession. United's inability to deny their opponents the ball led to a relentless stream of attacks. Ferguson and his players acknowledged that the passing and movement of Barcelona had been from a different sphere.

On Monday, the United manager said English teams were being handicapped by rules agreed between the Football Association and Premier League that prevent clubs working with youngsters aged 16 and under for any longer than 90 minutes a day.

"People have to understand the mechanics of the industry we are working in," Ferguson said. "We are only allowed to coach youngsters for an hour and a half, they [Barcelona] can coach every hour of the day if they want to. That's the great advantage they have got. It is a fantastic philosophy.

"We hope that in years to come our coaches will be able to spend more time with young kids, to teach them the basics, the technical abilities and the confidence to keep the ball all the time. We are good at it, but not as good as Barcelona at this moment in time. It is a wonderful challenge and we should always accept a challenge."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/30/sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united1
    SIR ALEX FERGUSON'S call for radical changes to England's academies has been given the go-ahead by the Premier League.

Top-flight chairmen rubber-stamped a revolution in youth coaching at an end-of-season meeting last week.

The Elite Performance Plan means clubs have up to five times more hours to work with youngsters - which Fergie demanded in the aftermath of the Champions League Final defeat to Barcelona.

The current system, which limits the coaching of players to just 2,000 hours between the ages of 10 and 18, has been scrapped.

In future, clubs such as Manchester United will be able to match and even surpass the Barcelona model which allows 8,000 hours over the same period. A limit has been set in England of 10,000 hours.

Also, players will no longer have to live within 90 minutes of their clubs - although United often evaded this by relocating families from London to Manchester.

But there remain issues to be resolved over how much compensation should be paid if players are poached from lower division clubs. The new changes come into force from the start of the 2012-13 season.
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_sport/nol_football/clubs/manchester_united/1328215/Manchester-Uniteds-Alex-Fergusons-green-light-over-England-youth.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

flahavaj wrote: »
    You can't dress it up any other way but to say that teh spastic quotient has risen dramatically in the last while and the Summer has only exacerbated it. That might not be classy, but its the truth, pure and simple.

Funny stuff. ;)

2eycffp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

@ d22ontour, I see that you use stumble upon!:pac:
    (I do too, its pretty amazing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

doesn't mean his posts are constantly spastastic though.

I miss Tom Brady...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Sorry from blabbing on .
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Kids in England can't sign for a club they live far away from and are only allowed to be trained for 90 minutes a day.

i wrote about this but seemed to just go over everyone's head with all the bickering in post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72954593&postcount=1122

we are changing the whole coaching of kids now in this country,a bit late but it is now happening and irish football will see the benifit in 7-10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Although not such a fan of Jim White, he's not the worst. His line up for the city game is interesting, but I'd like to see Cleverley given a shot. I don't know he seems so sure Nani is leaving. I would think Nani has the confidence in his own ability to hold down a place in the team and would prefer to stay and I don't think SAF would want to sell him.
    Ashley Young, David de Gea and Phil Jones have already arrived. While on the way out are John O'Shea, Darron Gibson, Wes Brown, Edwin van der Sar, Paul Scholes and - if the rumours are to be believed - Nani, expected to relocate his ego to a more accommodating dressing room before the start of the season. It is changing times indeed at Manchester United.

The 19th title seems to have been the signal for the most significant overhaul of his squad by Sir Alex Ferguson since the You'll Win Nothing With Kids summer of 1996. And the summer of '96 might well have a bearing on the manager's thinking.

Six out, three in: it doesn't take an A level in sums to see the mathematical discrepancy there. Plus, none of those arriving directly address the issue most United fans would identify as the most pressing: the central midfield.

Nor, according to reports, which dismiss the chances of Luca Modric moving north, or Wesley Sneijder taking a pay cut or Jack Rodwell actually being as good as his many supporters in the press insist, does the transfer market have many options for Ferguson in that regard.

Which suggests one of two things. Either the manager is unaware of the problem there. Or he has plans which lie beyond the transfer market. And given that he has remained at the top of his profession for the past quarter century, I would wager that it was the latter.

The view among more seasoned United watchers is that the Scholes-sized hole in the middle is likely to be filled in ways few had expected.

Jones, for instance, if he is to play as a centreback, could find himself fourth in line behind Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and his under-21 colleague Chris Smalling. But as a defensive central midfielder, his combination of good distribution, cool control and snappy tackle might well work nicely.

He could become the next Jack Rodwell, converted from defender into graceful, artful midfielder. Though, lets hope for his sake, unlike Rodwell, he actually gets picked in the starting line up.

And alongside him, there is room for a recall for another under-21 colleague, Tom Cleverley.

Recalled from Wigan where he had a successful time last season, he has the potential to become a fixture in the side in a way that Gibson never really promised. And in reserve, Ferguson has two graduates from last season's youth cup winning team: the local bad boy Ravel Morrison, and best of all Paul Pogba, rated as the finest United youth product since 92, and, because he is tall, French, black and plays in central midfield, described as the new Patrick Vieira.

We can expect both to be given the opportunity to develop into first team squad members this season.

But ahead of such potential starters, then there is the more intriguing thought of another current United player being stationed there, a man who clearly has what it takes to make it: Wayne Rooney.

Anyone who saw Young play for England against Wales, by far his most effective game for his country, will have noted that he was playing centrally behind the main striker. With just one significant trick in his portfolio, a shimmy with his right and a move outside off his left foot, Young can be easily controlled by a decent full back when he plays on the wing.

His chances against his fellow Ashley, Cole, for instance, would not be ones to relish.

Put him in the centre, however, and his pace and willingness, plus the elusiveness of his late runs, make him a proposition. Ferguson certainly did watch him in Cardiff, and may well have that position in mind.

In which case, Rooney could move back into the creative midfield role that his performances have long insisted he was born to play. And what a performer he might prove to be there: visionary, controlled, leather-lunged and endlessly willing, it is Paul Scholes reborn.

Here, then, is what might well be the United side to line up against Manchester City in the Charity Shield.

De Gea; Fabio, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra; Jones, Rooney; Valencia, Young, Park; Hernandez.

The future has indeed already arrived at Old Trafford.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/jim-white/article/32244/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There is a feedback thread, I suggest some people use it rather than try and turn this one into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jambofc wrote: »
    i wrote about this but seemed to just go over everyone's head with all the bickering in post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72954593&postcount=1122

we are changing the whole coaching of kids now in this country,a bit late but it is now happening and irish football will see the benifit in 7-10 years.

I'd be very surprised if the big clubs actually stuck to the 90 minute rule.

I'd love to see Rooney tried out in central midfield. He had all the attributes needed to be a top central midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Although not such a fan of Jim White, he's not the worst. His line up for the city game is interesting, but I'd like to see Cleverley given a shot. I don't know he seems so sure Nani is leaving. I would think Nani has the confidence in his own ability to hold down a place in the team and would prefer to stay and I don't think SAF would want to sell him.

Think it would be a disaster if that article were to come true! Signing no one else from here on (bar De Gea and loans returning) and selling Nani and/or Berbatov, think you could fairly argue that our squad would be worsened from the season just gone.

He envisions us playing a centre back a forward and a winger in the centre against City in the Shield? Seems crazy to me, and think he is expecting too much from youth players who so far haven't even featured in the Carling Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Article is ill-informed rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd love to see Rooney tried out in central midfield. He had all the attributes needed to be a top central midfielder.

It'd be interesting to see that alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The other advantage spanish clubs have is there is no limit on the amount of couching their youths get where as in england the kids are restricted to only a few hours a week of couching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People talking about Nani's 'ego' irks me so much. As far as I can see he has never shown any kind of ego and instead is always talking about the team and how he can improve and become a better player for the team. It would almost seem like he is unwanted with people's attitude to him so who can blame him if he starts to want to move to a team where he'll actually be appreciated by the fans?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

flahavaj wrote: »
    Article is ill-informed rubbish.

I agree completely. Any article that mentions youth players and only mentions Rav and Pogba leads me to believe they've never watched a youth team match.
    Liam O wrote: »
    People talking about Nani's 'ego' irks me so much. As far as I can see he has never shown any kind of ego and instead is always talking about the team and how he can improve and become a better player for the team. It would almost seem like he is unwanted with people's attitude to him so who can blame him if he starts to want to move to a team where he'll actually be appreciated by the fans?

I agree while on the pitch he might be infuriating with his antics. I've never seen him display an ego of any kind. If he had i doubt he'd have been voted players player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I find this point of view hilarious. Ignoring the fact that you would be turning one of the best strikers in the world into a central midfielder, exactly what attributes would Rooney bring to a CM role? I don't think he has the tactical discipline to play in there - sure he'll play the odd Gerrard-type Hollywood pass and he'll run around a lot but even when he plays up top he'll lose the head at times and race back to a full back position to get in a challenge. As a striker this is great to see but as a CM these type of things compromise the teams shape.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I find this point of view hilarious. Ignoring the fact that you would be turning one of the best strikers in the world into a central midfielder, exactly what attributes would Rooney bring to a CM role? I don't think he has the tactical discipline to play in there - sure he'll play the odd Gerrard-type Hollywood pass and he'll run around a lot but even when he plays up top he'll lose the head at times and race back to a full back position to get in a challenge. As a striker this is great to see but as a CM these type of things compromise the teams shape.

I could say "Two words: Ryan Giggs" in reply.

However, I didn't say Rooney has to be played there, I said I would love to see it tried out. Now there may never come a time when it is practical to try, however I'd still like to see it tried. To me, Rooney's best strength is his football brain. He tends to do the right thing at the right time. That is the most important thing a midfielder can have. Then add in his energy, work-rate, ability on the ball etc. He is frequently described as an all rounder. To me all rounder=potential midfielder. I'm not sure how you can predict what he would do or how you know he will just try "Hollywood" passes.

Also, Rooney played as a de facto midfielder for much of last season. So suggesting he move back 10-20 yards is not "hilarious". I think at some stage in Rooney's career, he will play regularly in midfield. Is suggesting Rooney play in midfield any stranger than Giggs playing there? Or Paul Scholes?

Also, just to spell it out, I'm not saying Rooney should be played there next season. I'm just saying that at some stage in Rooney's career, I'd love to see it. As he matures, he'll get more suited to that role and with the right midfield structure, I think it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I could say "Two words: Ryan Giggs" in reply.

However, I didn't say Rooney has to be played there, I said I would love to see it tried out. Now there may never come a time when it is practical to try, however I'd still like to see it tried. To me, Rooney's best strength is his football brain. He tends to do the right thing at the right time. That is the most important thing a midfielder can have. Then add in his energy, work-rate, ability on the ball etc. He is frequently described as an all rounder. To me all rounder=potential midfielder. I'm not sure how you can predict what he would do or how you know he will just try "Hollywood" passes.

Also, Rooney played as a de facto midfielder for much of last season. So suggesting he move back 10-20 yards is not "hilarious". I think at some stage in Rooney's career, he will play regularly in midfield. Is suggesting Rooney play in midfield any stranger than Giggs playing there? Or Paul Scholes?

Also, just to spell it out, I'm not saying Rooney should be played there next season. I'm just saying that at some stage in Rooney's career, I'd love to see it. As he matures, he'll get more suited to that role and with the right midfield structure, I think it would work.

I mistakenly thought you were in agreement with the article that had Rooney as a serious CM option for next season. I can see him dropping deeper later in his career, but I don't ever see him as a CM in a 4-4-2. I think he'll evolve into a Sheringham-type role as a more defined second-striker than he is now.
    Moving back those "10-20 yards" as you put it would be an incredibly difficult transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Think it would be a disaster if that article were to come true! Signing no one else from here on (bar De Gea and loans returning) and selling Nani and/or Berbatov, think you could fairly argue that our squad would be worsened from the season just gone.

He envisions us playing a centre back a forward and a winger in the centre against City in the Shield? Seems crazy to me, and think he is expecting too much from youth players who so far haven't even featured in the Carling Cup.

Ya I don't see why he is so sure Nani is on the way out. I'd like to see Cleverley given some games at CM. His line-up City game is fantasy, it does not even have a regular CM.

With Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley available as CM, Giggs filling that role often and Jones filling that position on occasion, I would not be surprised if none was purchased.

With Rooney commenting on how the midfielders help the attackers so much at Barca, and thus make the attackers job easier, I'm sure he's gonna be campaigning SAF to get a CM! I'd prefer Van Der Vaart to Modric, but both are unlikely, Sneijder is more likely I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This summer may drag out lads

Just to keep us all on the right path

Nineteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Gnight!

edit:

I love you guys

/cartman

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This summer may drag out lads

Just to keep us all on the right path

Nineteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Gnight!

edit:

I love you guys

/cartman

Imagine how dull next summer is going to be when we sign no one!!At least we have somethings to keep us interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Diego has been told by Wolfsburg he can leave this summer.

Might be worth a punt?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

SSN
    News: Celtic full-back Emilio Izaguirre claims Manchester United were keen to sign him in January before Patrice Evra signed a new contract, and that a meeting between the two clubs will be held next month.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7004272,00.html

Full story...
    Celtic full-back Emilio Izaguirre claims he is wanted by Manchester United and that Sir Alex Ferguson has previously been in touch with the SPL club.

Izaguirre joined the Bhoys last summer and enjoyed an impressive debut season in the SPL which culminated in the Honduras international scooping the player of the year awards.

He was recently linked with United's arch-rivals Liverpool and revealed he was 'flattered' by the interest being shown by the Anfield club.

However, he now says that Premier League champions United were keen on a deal in January before Patrice Evra signed a new contract and are set to hold further talks with Celtic next month.

Silent

"I am aware that Manchester United and Celtic agreed for a meeting in July," said Izaguirre in Honduras. "We have to see what happens if I stay or I go.

"I have to confirm it's 100% true that Manchester United were following me and were interested in me in January."

"It was Alex Ferguson directly who made contact with the Celtic directors.

"I think it was the time when they didn't close the negotiations with Patrice Evra. As far as I am aware Celtic refused to sell me as we were concentrating on the league.

"Regarding possibilities, I prefer to stay silent as I did when Celtic signed me. This is a job of my agent.

"If I have the chance I welcome the move with open arms. If that is the case I will thank God and I will take my opportunity."

Celtic boss Neil Lennon, meanwhile, insists there has been no approach for Izaguirre or Israel midfielder Beram Kayal.

Lennon said in the Daily Record: "You're always going to get speculation about your best players. I understand that.

"But there's been no interest expressed in Beram or Emilio and I've had no one on the telephone enquiring about any other player if it comes to that.

"Every player has his price but I'm not prepared to sell my better ones and Emilio certainly comes into that category."

I don't really understand this if true tbh, surely Evra & Fabio would be ahead of him? So unless Fergie is thinking way ahead into the future if/when Evra leaves, which may be sooner than we think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Full story...

I don't really understand this if true tbh, surely Evra & Fabio would be ahead of him? So unless Fergie is thinking way ahead into the future if/when Evra leaves, which may be sooner than we think?

It is hard to judge whether he is as good as Evra considering the difference in standards of the two leagues. However, I do really rate him and would not mind at all if he ended up as a replacement for Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Full story...

If Josh leaves we will be short at full-back, The twins at right back and Evra and this guy and left back.

Kayal is also quite a good player imo. Whether he is good enough for Utd I really dont know but he might be worth a punt if he was cheap. Here is a video of him, I know youtube videos can make most players look good but what the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Another defender?? So if the story holds water that would be Jones, Izaguirre, Young and De Gae (or another keeper). Thats four new players. Fergie said he would add three new faces. I would be gutted if that was the extent of our summer additions.

Central midfeild is where we need the most attention but it looks like we are not making headway. I wonder if this is because Fergie has other plans or there are no suitable players available in this role.

We have had trouble attracting big names to OT in recent transfer windows. I hope this summer we buck that trend.

Another defender?? So if the story holds water that would be Jones, Izaguirre, Young and De Gae (or another keeper). Thats four new players. Fergie said he would add three new faces. I would be gutted if that was the extent of our summer additions.
    They would be replacing players that are leaving so i dont really see a problem with it.

Jones replacing Brown
    Izaguirre replacing Josh
    De Gea replacing VDS

Young is not directly replacing anybody just yet but there are rumours of Berba and Nani leaving while Scholes, Hargreaves and Gibson are gone or going. Plus Neville retiring mid season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this thread needs more of this one.....Smallings missus...

sam-cooke-4.jpg

hopefully she starts to appear more in the wags corner next season.

Central midfeild is where we need the most attention but it looks like we are not making headway. I wonder if this is because Fergie has other plans or there are no suitable players available in this role.

We have had trouble attracting big names to OT in recent transfer windows. I hope this summer we buck that trend.

I have to laugh at people getting excited about not signing any midfielders yet. United do their business quietly and there could be a signing already complete waiting for 1st of July to unvail them.`
    With a new winger coming in we could always look at Nani on the right, Young on the left and Valencia in the CM role. I believe he plays there for his country

EDIT: Young Airbag, this is a generalisation and not directed at you.

sam-cooke-4.jpg

I looked at that for a minute and thought to myself..... Will I or wont I?

• Advertisement

sam-cooke-4.jpg

Giggiddy!!!
    I have to say, from the very quick glance I took of her face, she looks to be in her 30s?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement