Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wilshere is a good example of the type of player we would want I think.

Extremely comfortable on the ball, excellent passer, looks for the ball from defenders and looks to take it back from attackers under pressure.

Without the ball has great tenacity, doesn't let himself get bullied when teams put it up to him physically, a willing (if not fantastic) tackler and pretty good positional awareness.

Those are the attributes we should be looking for. Anderson has potential to have all those facets to his game, but I don't know if he has the attitude. It's a bad sign that a player like Wilshere should be a fair way ahead of him at this stage of their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wilshere is a good example of the type of player we would want I think.

Extremely comfortable on the ball, excellent passer, looks for the ball from defenders and looks to take it back from attackers under pressure.

Without the ball has great tenacity, doesn't let himself get bullied when teams put it up to him physically, a willing (if not fantastic) tackler and pretty good positional awareness.

Those are the attributes we should be looking for. Anderson has potential to have all those facets to his game, but I don't know if he has the attitude. It's a bad sign that a player like Wilshere should be a fair way ahead of him at this stage of their careers.

Wilshire is a special player though. Wilshire is a fair way ahead of players 10 years older than him and has the potential to be one of the best players of his generation. Would love to get him but it just wont happen. As i mentioned before Kayal at Celtic is this type of midfielder. Whether he is good enough for Utd im not sure, there is only one way to find out. But if we could get him for a 4ish million he might be worth a punt.

Wilshire is a special player though. Wilshire is a fair way ahead of players 10 years older than him and has the potential to be one of the best players of his generation.

So was Anderson.

So was Anderson.
    Ando was never as good as Wilshire is now. Wilshire would walk into pretty much every team in the Premiership, Ando wouldnt. No doubting Ando has talent in there somewhere but he really needs to show it soon imo. He has showed glimpses of what he can do but never consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So was Anderson.

The cruciate lost him a bit of his pace, you can still see sparks of it but he was meant to have electric pace before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The likes of Wilshere and Modric wouldn't suit what all of ye are talking about imo. They need a 5 man midfield to do their job as they don't shield the defense well enough, not through lack of pressing but they are rarely in the right position to do so. Ultimately when playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 United need either an all out defensive player or 2 players of who will take turns to step back and shield the defense. Putting a Modric or a Wilshere in there is the wrong option imo unless Fletch or Carrick are stationed 10-20 yards behind them picking up the pieces.

Liam O wrote: »
    The likes of Wilshere and Modric wouldn't suit what all of ye are talking about imo. They need a 5 man midfield to do their job as they don't shield the defense well enough, not through lack of pressing but they are rarely in the right position to do so. Ultimately when playing 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 United need either an all out defensive player or 2 players of who will take turns to step back and shield the defense. Putting a Modric or a Wilshere in there is the wrong option imo unless Fletch or Carrick are stationed 10-20 yards behind them picking up the pieces.

Wilshere and Modric are vastly different players.

Wilshere is like a fusion of Fletcher and Carrick and would be perfect for a two man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wilshere and Modric are vastly different players.

Wilshere is like a fusion of Fletcher and Carrick and would be perfect for a two man midfield.

I think Fergie wants to be able to play a 3 man midfield against the big guns anyway. A 451/433 type system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

:D

http://www.thedailytackle.com/2011/06/michael-owen-allowed-to-train-at-home.html
    Michael Owen Allowed to Train at Home

Manchester United have announced that as part of the recent contract extension signed by Michael Owen, the former Newcastle, Real Madrid and Liverpool striker will be allowed to train in his back garden.

Owen is building a race horse empire and much of his time is spent at courses around the country. The Old Trafford board, and particularly Alex Ferguson, have sympathised with Owen's logistical problems and have made several concessions to allow him to continue making sporadic substitute appearances for United.

We can exclusively reveal that as part of the deal, Owen will be assigned his own personal coach who will travel the country with the player. Training sessions will be conducted via Skype so Owen feels part of the team. A club insider is sure the arrangement can work.

"Michael is very busy so this is a practical solution. The lads will be able to see Michael on a big screen on the training pitch - it will be as if he is there. He will train in a variety of locations around the UK, depending on where his horses are running. If he's feeling a little tired, he can train in his garden!

"Alex wanted Owen to stay this season because they share a couple of horse trainers. They love nothing more than chatting about their horses when Owen is sitting on the bench. It is great for the morale of the team and gives Owen another year's salary for playing half a dozen games. It really is a win-win situation.

"Owen was treated badly at Newcastle United. They wouldn't allow him time with his horses and he was made to feel guilty when he sprained his toe. He had three weeks out after a very nasty wasp sting and was made to feel like a fraud. Yes, he was collecting £130,000 per week but he's Michael Owen and he doesn't come cheap! The Newcastle fans were wrong to wave £10 notes at him when he came on for Man U last season!"

Owen has been promised that he will play no more than ten games next season, with a maximum of five as part of the starting 11. We also understand Owen can choose the games he plays, allowing him to give priority to the racing calendar. The Glazers have confirmed that he will also receive a winner's medal for any competitions United win next season, regardless of the number of games he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

@FootballAgentPM
    Peter Morrison
    #mufc close to another signing. Medical taking place as we speak.

Someone low profile I'd say. Nasri or Sneijder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Surely that Owen story is a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

de gea

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

@TransferUpdate

TRANSFER EXCLUSIVE on Manchester United and Luka Modric @ 3.30PM. #MUFC

His followers are growing by the day, could he be genuine or just spouting what all the rags are printing each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RVD420 wrote: »
    His followers are growing by the day, could he be genuine or just spouting what all the rags are printing each day?

He's been spectacularly wide of the mark with everything so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

jambofc wrote: »
    de gea

But that wouldn't be any fun.:D Anyway, I thought that wasn't happening until friday at the earliest.

Jesus I can't wait for the football to be back.

As for that tweet at 3.30 re Modric. I'd imagine something like this.
    #mufc will not be signing Luka Modric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

But that wouldn't be any fun.:D Anyway, I thought that wasn't happening until friday at the earliest.

more than likely bul#s##t but seemingly seen getting off plane from madrid this morn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I read that Meireles is refusing to sign a contract extension at liverpool, was impressed with his last season and he could be looking for CL football, pool will hardly sell him to us though, would be a decent signing for us i think.

• Advertisement

I see Meireles is refusing to sign a contract extension at liverpool, was impressed with his last season and he could be looking for CL football, pool will hardly sell him to us though, would be a decent signing for us i think.

Thought Juve were sniffin around him?

I doubt that Kenny would even satisfy United with a response if they came knocking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

RVD420 wrote: »
    could he be genuine or just spouting what all the rags are printing each day?

you answered your own question, in fact its worse hes also makes up his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

nicklauski wrote: »
    Thought Juve were sniffin around him?

I doubt that Kenny would even satisfy United with a response if they came knocking :D

Juve and many other clubs i can imagine, but yeah Kenny would probably tell us to ''Pi$$ Off' :P though id imagine he has more respect for Fergie than he does for Wenger ;)

There are rumours that it is Hugo Rodallega. Makes no sense even if we're selling Berba.. I'd think we have good cover with Welbeck and Macheda coming back and Young...

Would it not just be De Gea?

If they had any rock solid information regarding a signing they would tell us straight away before anyone else got the story. I gave up on twitter a long time ago.

Would make the most sense. But he cant sign for un until Mendes is officially his agent...

Thats quite possible. He is finished with Spain now so he could do his medical then go off on holiday, deal will be announced when he changes agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

It's not true, no one having a medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I agree on giving up on twitter for solid rumours except for some of the more reputable journos, even at that with a large pinch of salt. Sure there was one this morning, FootballAgent I think, saying Kaka had had and failed a medical for MUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,482 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Goalkeepers.

For the purpose of this post am going to take it as read that De Gea will be the keeper that we sign, all the journo's reckon it is a done deal - just the agent change holding it up. With that signing, our keeper options for the new season, as it stands, would be De Gea, Lindegaard, Kuszczak and Amos. A rather inexperienced lot - and I would reckon Kuszczak is a certainty to leave. Though I have no doubt that De Gea is going to be the planned number 1 long term, I actually think Anders Lindegaard will be given a chance to show what he can do. I said when we signed him that given his age but relative inexperience/lack of exposure that I thought he may have been signed with De Gea in mind - a player that could play for the United first team if we need him to - stepping in if we need to rest or protect De Gea - but one that wouldn't really block De Gea from making the first team spot his own should he prove as good as many feel he is or will become. I do rate Lindegaard form the little bits I have seen of him. He is a confident and solid keeper, looks more stable than Kuszczak for my money. He also has the mentality of a United keeper imo - he is a quick releaser; as soon as he has his hands on the ball he is looking to either throw, roll or kick on for to get his team on the attack. He won't slow the team down. I don't know if he has the potential to improve enough to take the first team spot long term, but I wouldn't have a problem with him starting in goal for us.

De Gea is a very exciting prospect - has great agility, great reactions and hands like buckets of glue. He is big, imposing and quick so should be very good 1 vs 1. The area of his game I would have most concern over is command of the area - in terms of both communication and claiming of crosses. I simply do not know how he will do here. Firstly he does not speak English, so communication with the defence could be an issue, though I believe the United players have been learning a bit of Spannish - enough to communicate defensive issues - which should aliviate some of this problem. Secondly, most continental keepers are poor enough on crosses, the use of crosses and physicality is more emphasised in England than anywhere else. While my feeling is thast he is not great on crosses, I would also have to point out that he is still very young and it is a facet of the game he can improve on. Just look at his countryman Pep Reina; he was truly shocking on crosses when he arrived at Liverpool but he is far far better now. Time and training will sort out De Gea’s problems in my opinion, but will Fergie and/or the United fans give De Gea the time he may need? Fergie has been very tough on keepers in his time at United, and fans are always tough on keepers. It will be a big issue in De Gea’s United career.

Defenders
    Overall, I think we are well set for defenders, but it is something that worries me a bit, if Brown and O’Shea leave (a move to Sunderland is looking increasingly likely, and a move somewhere looks certain). As it stands, we would have Rafael and Fabio as right back options – both players have shown themselves to be fantastic prospects. Getting more and more assured in their defending and both are very good going forward. If I had to give an edge to either player I would have to give it to Fabio whom I think displays a bit more composure and whom I think is a bit smarter in defense. When we take the other fullback spot into consideration it is where I feel the issue in defense is shown. We would only really have Evra and Fabio – with Fabio already earmarked as a right back. We can argue that Evra was relatively poor season last year with his positioning been little short of shocking at times, and we can also argue that Fabio hasn’t shown himself to be as promising or comfortable at left back; this may simply due to the amount of games he has got at right back in comparison to left back. We can argue those things, but I would say it is fair to say, with relative confidence, that we likely have two very good options at left back. However, and this is my worry, if Rafael was to get injured we’d have no real cover at full back anymore. Same with Evra getting injured or Fabio getting injured. I think it shows, with O’Shea looking very likely to leave, that we are a bit weak in terms of numbers at fullback. I think we might be on the look out for a player here, more likely a left back. Of course I can point out that Evans can and has been deployed at both full back positions, and Smalling didn’t look too bad at right back when he had a little cameo there at the end of last season, so maybe Fergie is happy with those as back up.

In central defence I don’t think we could be any more set – Rio and Vidic as the first choice players, the best partnership in football, in my opinion. We then have 3 highly rated young players in reserve here: Smalling, Jones and Evans. Evans didn’t have the best of seasons last year, but did show towards the end of last season that he was beginning to find his touch and confidence again. I thought Smalling was a revelation last season and I think Jones will prove to be a fantastic centre back – his pairing with Smalling for the Under 21’s looked very good, and those two could be our centre back pairing for a long time to come – a very exciting prospect.

Midfield.

Firstly, I will address the wingers..... we are sorted. Simple as that, we have absolutely no issues here. In fact, I would say we probably have the best collection of wingers around. Valencia may be predictable like a German train, but he gets the job done, like a German train. The defenders may know what he is going to do, but, as is the mark of a great player, they still can’t stop him doing it. It was a joy to behold him rip Ashley Cole apart last season. A traditionally classic winger, I love him! Nani, in contrast is a lot more the continental wing-forward type of winger. Loves to beat a man, too much if we are being honest. He is not predictable at all from a stikers perspective – which can be an issue – is he going to cross it or cut back again? Is he going to single mindedly engineer himself a shot or will he look to create? When a striker can’t answer that there can be a lot of wasted movement and runs. However, you have to say the unpredictability of his game is key to his game. While strikers don’t know what he is going to do, defenders do not either. They can’t fully or even near fully commit to any particular outcome or they leave themselves exposed, which can end up giving Nani that bit of room to do what he wants. The signing of Young is a very good one in my opinion – he is a complete winger and a player very much in the United style. He is pacey, loves playing on the counter. He can cross, he can pass and he can shoot. He also works very hard defensively, is rarely injured and he can play either side and through the middle. I don’t know if he is going to be first choice, I simply don’t know, but I do think the prospect of Nani, Young and Rooney supporting Hernandez is very exciting – 3 players with pace, mobility, trickery and vision, and 3 players that can play all across a supporting 3. Adding to this set is Park, Giggs and Cleverley. As I say, we are well sorted here.

Centre midfield is still the main issue for me, as it has been for 2 years. In terms of senior midfielder we should be able to look to Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson. I do like all 3 players. Carrick really looked like he was the player we expect him to be in the close of last season. Intelligent in positioning and smart/composed on the ball. Some of his passing was superb, and I hope he can bring that form into this season. Fletcher, I feel it is fair to say, was poor last season. He wasn’t at his 08-10 best, and that is where we need him. Hopefully a good pre-season will have him back where we need him to be. Anderson.... who knows what we will get from him. At times last season he was little short of superb for us – he had a great run of games around the new year, if I remember correctly. As always with Anderson though, consistency and injuries possibly resulting in inconsistency took their toll on him. This will be the first summer since he joined us that he will get a proper pre-season at United, so my hope is that a quality pre-season will set him up for his best season at United. He has the quality, we need him to produce it consistently though. I think this will be a massive season for him, it is make or break in my opinion. While we do have players backing this trio up, and good quality at that, in Giggs and possibly Cleverley, I don’t feel it is enough. I think we need at least one more signing here – though what type of central midfielder is up for debate. A creative midfielder is the general consensus – but I think with Roney, Young, Giggs, Park and Cleverley able to play AMC (and Morrision and Petrucci too, from the youth set up) I don’t think it is a big priority. I think we are more crying out for a dominating presence in midfield. We do need someone who can pass with a high degree of competence, but we could really do with someone who will stick the foot in and break up play. I actually think Fellaini or Tiote would be quality signings. Tiote would provide a lot of bite, he rarely gives away (plays is simply and intelligently) and I feel he could free Carrick or Anderson beside him to attack more. Banega, in terms of a deep lying play maker, would be another player I would like up to look at. That said though, I would not be unhappy to see a more creative attacking player, such as Modric, signed.

Forwards

Up front our first choice pairing is undoubtedly Rooney and Chico – with Rooney playing a hybrid AMC/SS position. Dropping into the hole and looking to spray to Chico or the wingers/fullbacks. It worked brilliantly last season, and I am hoping that will continue this season. After those two, I don’t know what the story is beyond Owen will be one of the options and I am not too happy about that to be honest. He was of little use last season and I can’t see it being anymore this season. Berbatov may have been joint top PL scorer last season, but near half those goals came in 3 or 4 games. He does bring an element of magic to the side, more so than any other player in the squad. However, it simply doesn’t look like Fergie knows how to set the team up to get the best of him. All to regularly we see him up on his own, which I don’t think has ever worked. Rumours persist of his departure this summer, despite protestations from himself/his agent. If he was sold though, surely we would have to bring in a replacement. As much as I like Welbeck, and hope he is given a chance, I would not feel too confident in starting the season with Rooney, Chico, Welbeck and Owen as the 4 main choices (Don’t know what will happen with Macheda and I think Diouf will be sold).

So, in summary, I do think we are fairly well set in most positions of the pitch but we are certainly in need of a central midfielder, a more defensive style midfielder would be my choice and I do think we could do with a left back option, though with a bit of luck we could perhaps get by without.Up front may be in need of being looked at, if we sell Berbatov, which it seems like there is a decent chance of happening.

It will certainly be interesting to see who we look to buy over the next couple of weeks. Most recently linked to the club are:

Emilio Izaguirre, an exciting left back from Celtic – who could cover that full back spot that I spoke about.

Thiago Alcantara – a central midfielder with truly world class potential, if we signed him I would be estatic. We would very likely run into a Ronaldo/Real Madrid, Fabregas/Barcelona transfer mess in a few years but I honestly think he would be worth it if we got 4 or 5 years out of him. Composed on the ball, great under pressure and an eye for the spectacular.

Luka Modric – has developed into a very good and very well rounded central midfielder. Can do a bit of everything and has the quick feet and composure we sometimes lack in midfield. Would be a good addition, but we face very stiff competition if we are interested.

Alexis Sanchez – another player with world class potential, but I don’t really see where he would fit in at United. Would be similar to Young and Nani in being able to play across a front line, but would be more a central player than those; only way I could really see him fitting in is in the hole that Rooney currently occupies, with Rooney moving further forward. I don’t know that he has the creativity in terms of passing to play in that role though.

Man United squad, as it stands: Man United Squad 10/11 link

Ah twitter's good craic if you don't take it too seriously.

It also highlighted to me that Mitch Connor is in a trench war with Hank Scorpio for having the greatest name in history, so that's a plus.

Denilson for sale on ebay

Description is brilliant:
    Denilson has been part of the Arsenal set up for the best part of 5 years now, has played at the highest levels of international junior football and I believe under the right owners, this guy could prove to be a BARGAIN.

He has 160+ games on the clock, but don't worry, at no time was this player ever over exerted. In fact, he's so easy going, even podgy middle aged referees breeze past him in important games.

He's technically sound, literally never seems to get injured, passes sideways with precision and vigour and would be perfect for a team that requires a slow defensive midfielder that is less mobile that a beached oil tanker.

The best part about this player are his stats. They are amazing. If they were in the female form, be in no doubt, you'd be looking at Megan Fox. Scrap that, Megan Fox, sitting at a bar with two Peroni's (One is for you).

He's the master of the 3ft pass and he is powerful like a bull. If you thought the invisible wall of Gilberto was great, this guy is literally invisible for the full 90 minutes!

Ideally we're looking to shift him onto a buyer who can supply him with trophies next season, failing that, anyone who can make a more suitable offer than a used vacuum cleaner bag and two pieces of whole grain toast.

De Gea is in for his medical! sweet.

article-2008637-0CC198D500000578-516_634x427.jpg

I don't like the way he walks.... both arms back and an entourage carrying white capes behind him... puff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Unlucky :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Millions and millions of pound at their disposal and all United can do in an effort to block him from the cameras is two pensioners with a bed sheet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Really?:p

De Gea is in for his medical! sweet.

article-2008637-0CC198D500000578-516_634x427.jpg
    She is giving 2 fingers to the camera man.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Millions and millions of pound at their disposal and all United can do in an effort to block him from the cameras is two pensioners with a bed sheet :pac:

It would have been easier to just give De Gea a disguise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think they just wanted his autograph, couldn't find any paper, so just brought their sheets:pac:

I don't like the way he walks.... both arms back and an entourage carrying white capes behind him... puff!

And as for that arse that's holding the door open for him :rolleyes:

friday-damn-large.jpg?t=1241888698

And as for that arse that's holding the door open for him :rolleyes:

friday-damn-large.jpg?t=1241888698

Fantastic addition to the WAG team IMO

VW 1 wrote: »

Well I wouldn't go that far yet. We don't know what the front of it is like :P

Apparently we are building what amounts to an onsite hospital wing at Carrington (1.5million of a 11.5million facility upgrade). Might do medicals at Carrington in future if this is the case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ah lads, give them some credit. Modric is actually behind the sheet. Well done, ninja pensioners.

Well I wouldn't go that far yet. We don't know what the front of it is like :P

Very true, could be a butter face in disguise..google it to check it out if you dont know what it is. I cant link because im in work!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ah lads, give them some credit. Modric is actually behind the sheet. Well done, ninja pensioners.

How my water didnt end up all over my keyboard is a miracle...well played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

VW 1 wrote: »

Sure that's De Gea's missus? I thought she was blonde.
    Apparently we are building what amounts to an onsite hospital wing at Carrington (1.5million of a 11.5million facility upgrade). Might do medicals at Carrington in future if this is the case.

Heard about that alright, will essentially be like MilanLab.

This is what i found when looking for pics of De Gea's missus

david-de-gea-girlfriend.jpg

Looks different to yer one in the medical pic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement