Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Little Pea wrote: »
    WE'RE MAN UNITED AND WE DO WHAT WE WANT !!!!

Ok so go & get Modric & Sanchez ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Little Pea wrote: »
    WE'RE MAN UNITED AND WE DO WHAT WE WANT !!!!

Seeing as we're being pedantic, it is "we'll do what we want" :pac:

Picked up the new home jersey in Champion sports, only option they had for printing was Chicharito. Perhaps I should change my name to Chicharito14 now :p

JJB are selling a load of jerseys with Champions 19 on the back, but its not the nice gold letters you get from the United shop online.

*I hope haven't made any mistakes here myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You're missing a few full stops Rooney10! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hedman wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that.

Whatever you say chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Considering how much he'll cost + amount he'll demand in wages, Sneidjer really wouldn't be a great signing given he can only really play the Rooney role.

I think he has all that is needed to play a similar role to Giggs in the United central midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

Whatever you say chief.

What's the attitude for?

They are two very different players, just because one plays there doesn't mean the other can. What would the point in spending massive money for a player like Sneidjer and then playing him into a role he's never played before (not to mention a more physical league than he's ever played in before) and hoping he can adjust?

What's the attitude for?

and then playing him into a role he's never played before

The attitude was in response to your slightly condescending post.

He can and has played CM for both Ajax and Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What's the attitude for?

They are two very different players, just because one plays there doesn't mean the other can. What would the point in spending massive money for a player like Sneidjer and then playing him into a role he's never played before (not to mention a more physical league than he's ever played in before) and hoping he can adjust?
    Before he went to Inter and was incorporated into the Mourinho system Sneijder was a CM through and through, I know football fans have short memories but to say that he's never played that role shows a huge lack of knowledge. I'd have Sneijder play that role over Modric in a heartbeat. Fergie should have gotten him as part of the Ronaldo deal as I was saying at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Are people really getting excited all over again about Sneijder based on a mobile phone clip on you tube? Really?

He may have played CM for Ajax way back, but the fact of the matter is that he has shot to prominence as a truly world class talent basd on his being deployed as an advanced attacking midfielder for inter when they won the treble and for Holland in reaching the final. its undoubtedly his best position.

Using the logic that he should be OK as a CM beside Carrick just because we played Giggs there (and had to play defebsive wingers to compensate for it) a handful of times with good success does not mean its a good idea to invest heavily in a guy to play him somewhere other than his best position. Retard logic. We have a fella called Rooney who has made the free role behind the striker role his own.

The attitude was in response to your slightly condescending post.

Wasn't my intention to be condescending in any way, sorry if it came across like that.
    He can and has played CM for both Ajax and Holland.

For a very short time and was never effective in the role, he has earned his current plaudits on the strength of the role he plays now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Liam O wrote: »
    Before he went to Inter and was incorporated into the Mourinho system Sneijder was a CM through and through, I know football fans have short memories but to say that he's never played that role shows a huge lack of knowledge. I'd have Sneijder play that role over Modric in a heartbeat. Fergie should have gotten him as part of the Ronaldo deal as I was saying at the time.

Yeh but in saying that he may have a preference for playing in the playmaker position which Rooney prefers rather then being shunted out to the wing like Fergie has done in the past. Signing Sneider is a huge gamble which ould all end in tears

flahavaj wrote: »
    Are people really getting excited all over again about Sneijder based on a mobile phone clip on you tube? Really?

He may have played CM for Ajax way back, but the fact of the matter is that he has shot to prominence as a truly world class talent basd on his being deployed as an advanced attacking midfielder for inter when they won the treble and for Holland in reaching the final. its undoubtedly his best position.

Using the logic that he should be OK as a CM beside Carrick just because we played Giggs there (and had to play defebsive wingers to compensate for it) a handful of times with good success does not mean its a good idea to invest heavily in a guy to play him somewhere other than his best position. Retard logic. We have a fella called Rooney who has made the free role behind the striker role his own.
    Sneijder is much more a designated creative player than Rooney though. Rooney is still just a deep lying striker whereas Sneijder is the opposite end of the spectrum in that he is much more a midfielder than a striker imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A question,if Rooney continues to excell in the free role behind chico next season do we really need the marquee creative CM we all desire?
    Or would a signing like Fellani perhaps to go with what we have plus TC coming back fill the midfield leaving the creativity to Rooney?

Just a question......kill the logic if ye wish...

What's the attitude for?

I thought he was having a bit of wordplay as in Head Man = Chief ;)

I have also wondered about Rooney playing more as an attacking midfielder with Chico & another forward ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Great to see Jones isnt afraid to go forward with the ball

Sneijder is much more a designated creative player than Rooney though. Rooney is still just a deep lying striker whereas Sneijder is the opposite end of the spectrum in that he is much more a midfielder than a striker imo.

What does this even mean? How do you put them bothin the same team when they both excel in exactly the same area of the pitch. If you're gonna sign the guy and if the ridiculous wages he wants are true then you're going to play him in the place he inspired his club to the treble and his country to the World Cup Final surely?

Are people juust jumping on the Sneijder bandwagon again because it now seems Modric and Sanchez will go elsewhere? Ridiculous. It will never happen.

Nobody is getting excited. It's just a video, nobody said that they thought he is actually joining. Somebody mentioned Las Vegas and I remembered a clip I'd seen of him recently where United were mentioned. It's just an aside, something to talk about until something actually happens.

He is a world class player, he is adaptable. He didn't come out of the womb with "attacking midfielder" stuck on his head. I could see him fitting into the United team easily. He has the abilities needed to play in central midfield. Plus different formations will be used in different games and Rooney will not always be played between the lines.

Giggs has played in central midfield more than a couple of times. Plus Scholes is very similar to Sneijder and I think he may have had a game or two in central midfield! When Scholes was a striker, Ferguson saw a central midfielder who would suit his team. Giggs is one of the most famous left wingers in football history. Ferguson saw he had the natural talent to play central midfield. If (and it is a big if) Ferguson thought Sneijder could play there, I'd go with his opinion.

Nobody is getting excited. It's just a video, nobody said that they thought he is actually joining. Somebody mentioned Las Vegas and I remembered a clip I'd seen of him recently where United were mentioned. It's just an aside, something to talk about until something actually happens.

He is a world class player, he is adaptable. He didn't come out of the womb with "attacking midfielder" stuck on his head. I could see him fitting into the United team easily. He has the abilities needed to play in central midfield. Plus different formations will be used in different games and Rooney will not always be played between the lines.

Giggs has played in central midfield more than a couple of times. Plus Scholes is very similar to Sneijder and I think he may have had a game or two in central midfield! When Scholes was a striker, Ferguson saw a central midfielder who would suit his team. Giggs is one of the most famous left wingers in football history. Ferguson saw he had the natural talent to play central midfield. If (and it is a big if) Ferguson thought Sneijder could play there, I'd go with his opinion.

Massive if I'd say.

Saying that Giggs and Scholes managed to adapt roles over is a very poor argument for doing the same with Sneijder. Why not buy a player who's a more natural at dictating play from deep in a midfield duo rather than hoping Sneijder will be able to do so, or will be happy doing so?

Now if the idea is to change formation then fair enough he would work very well at the apex of a midfield threesome, with Rooney up top alone. But that would men the end of the Chico/Rooney pairing which i believe has massive potential for years to some.

Also from now on it becomes a matter of who we can sign rather than who we want to sign. We need someone & if the ideal candidate isn't there then we may have to compromise. But at least we know that the money is available if the right palyer comes along.

I think that this will be a transfer window of two halves. We got off to a flying start with Jones, Young & De Gea & now there may be a long gap & some last minute signings as usual. The good this is that Jones & De Gea get some early game time as youngsters.

Before he went to Inter and was incorporated into the Mourinho system Sneijder was a CM through and through, I know football fans have short memories but to say that he's never played that role shows a huge lack of knowledge.

My memory really must be shot so as i seem to recall Real throwing him out on the wing, the odd time they actually played him that is.

• Advertisement

Massive if I'd say.

Saying that Giggs and Scholes managed to adapt roles over is a very poor argument for doing the same with Sneijder. Why not buy a player who's a more natural at dictating play from deep in a midfield duo rather than hoping Sneijder will be able to do so, or will be happy doing so?

Now if the idea is to change formation then fair enough he would work very well at the apex of a midfield threesome, with Rooney up top alone. But that would men the end of the Chico/Rooney pairing which i believe has massive potential for years to some.

I am merely using them as examples, not as my argument. I think Sneijder has the ability for playing central midfield.

I agree Hernandez/Rooney worked well, but it remains to be seen if Hernandez can do it in his second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Forgot to mention diarra also, I think he is another player we will go for.

but it remains to be seen if Hernandez can do it in his second season.

I have absolutely no doubt that he will. The lad is special, really special & he will have the confidence & the support if things get difficult. Also he is very intelligent & perceptive. He will know that a dip will come one day & he will have players around him who know how it feels. Will he get 20 this season - probably but I would settle for a dozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

With Scholes,hargreaves and possibly gibson gone,I have no doubt United will sign 1 or 2 centre mids but I don't think they will be the marquee signings many people expect.Modric or Sneijder would be great signings but imo we would also need a proper DM beside them and we don't really have one at the club.

I think that he is more likely than many of the others. Plus Jose & SAF are mates & Jose won't want to upset his future employer :D

Btw I think that we should get used to referring to SAF as Lord Ferguson of Goven. He would love it as the christian name is always dropped so he is addressed as Lord Ferguson. Him & Lord Sugar would make a good pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sneijder has the attributes needed to play central midfield at United: reliable and sensible passing when required; good work-rate and is not easily kicked out of a game. I think there is far too much attention on what exact position a player is playing in a particular formation in a particular team, rather than just looking at the type of player they are. As long as Sneijder has a good defensively minded partner I don't see any reason he couldn't play CM for us.

However I do think that he, and Modric also, are more creative than we actually need in that position and their prices would reflect that. So I think they would be a bit of a waste of money.

We would be better off looking at the likes of De Rossi, Fellaini, Rodwell, Joau Moutinho imo. They, and their type in general, would be easier targets and better value for what we actually need done imo.
    I just don't see Fellaini as United 1st XI material.

What about Daniele de Rossi?

The Modric stuff could also be horsesh1te..."sources say this" and "sources say that". We're not out of the game just yet.

Jesus I hope we can get Modric.

That's fair enough if you think that of Fellaini. I like De Rossi too. I wouldn't want to risk big money on him because he seems to be a bit mad, but I would be very happy to see him come to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

remains to be seen if Hernandez can do it in his second season.

People said the same thing about Van Nistelrooy. One season wonder. He'll struggle in the second season. Second season syndrome. He'll be found out.

The lad is a born goal-scorer and he has the right people guiding him. I wouldn't worry about him..... unless I was the opposition.

I know its a long shot but what about an attempt to sign Michael Essien from Chelsea. He would be the ideal defensive midfielder we need.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    People said the same thing about Van Nistelrooy. One season wonder. He'll struggle in the second season. Second season syndrome. He'll be found out.

The lad is a born goal-scorer and he has the right people guiding him. I wouldn't worry about him..... unless I was the opposition.

It's a great feeling to have proven goal scorer on top form rather than having to worry, as we have in the past, as to when a player will start scoring.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    I know its a long shot but what about an attempt to sign Michael Essien from Chelsea. He would be the ideal defensive midfielder we need.

At least he doesn't want to go to Real but he appears to want to stay where he is according to his agent Piveteau:

Piveteau was quoted as saying in the Sun: "He regularly has Jose Mourinho on the phone because they know each other well and have got on with each other since Jose was in charge of Chelsea.
    "But Real Madrid has never really appealed to him. Michael will stay at Chelsea, where he has another four years left on his contract.
    "He's very happy there, in a great city and a very good club which comes up against very good teams week in, week out."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

get in there danny boy!

Go on Welbz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I hope we never get him. I hate* him.

*football hate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

So far we know that Chelsea have offered £22 million to Spurs and £120,000 per week to Modric.

We believe that Modric isn't keen on leaving London.

I'd like to think that David Gill and Sir Alex have confirmed that Modric wouldn't come to United.

Otherwise we should wade in with a £25 million plus Berbatov/£150,000 a week offer. If Modric meets with Sir Alex, maybe he like so many others will be captivated by the magic of United?

So far we know that Chelsea have offered £22 million to Spurs and £120,000 per week to Modric.

I'd like to think that David Gill and Sir Alex have confirmed that Modric wouldn't come to United.

Otherwise we should wade in with a £25 million plus Berbatov/£150,000 a week offer. If Modric meets with Sir Alex, maybe he like so many others will be captivated by the magic of United?

It'd be a bit silly to counter a £22m bid by going straight up to £35m so soon (assuming Berba is valued at £10m).

Anyway isn't it illegal to be offering a player wage terms when his club have flatly rejected any bids from Chelsea???

• Advertisement

Rooney10 wrote: »

Where did I call him a one-season wonder? There's no need to put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is that you cannot plan with certainty. We don't know for sure how Hernandez will react in his second season. That is not saying he WILL have a dip, but it is pretty common.

Hes only worth 25 million. Why we should offer Berbatov on top of that is comical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

It'd be a bit silly to counter a £22m bid by going straight up to £35m so soon (assuming Berba is valued at £10m).

Anyway isn't it illegal to be offering a player wage terms when his club have flatly rejected any bids from Chelsea???
    billyhead wrote: »
    Hes only worth 25 million. Why we should offer Berbatov on top of that is comical

He's worth more than £25 million. We need an attacking midfielder and he's probably the only one that fits the bill right now who's also proven in the Premier League. That makes him highly valuable to us.

As for the level of any bid, Spurs have called £22 million derisory so what would you propose - £22.5 million?

Irrespective of the level of the fee, we need this guy. If we want to slay the Barca beast, we need this guy. We should move heaven and earth to get him. We p..s so much money away on the wrong guys and here we have the right guy. Paying over the odds for the right guy isn't the worst thing in the world. We throw millions away on degenerates like Bebe and Obertan (£10 million was wasted on these bums). I'd lose no sleep over us overpaying for Luka Modric. We should be willing to go to £30 million plus Berbatov. That and £150K a week has to turn the heads of Levy and the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Cant say I'm too upset to see the England U21's crash out. They were way out of their league. Smalling, Jones and Welbeck came out of it probably looking the best players.

But the silver lining is the lads involved will surely be back pre-season earlier so they might feature on the US tour? Anyone any knowledge of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I think Luka Modric is overated

• Advertisement

Modric's ability is being criminally overrated in this thread (well mainly by Sean Bateman) imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Modric is one of the top 5 players in the world in his stlye of play. I think his style of play would perfectly fit into the United system right now.

Modric's ability is being criminally overrated in this thread (well mainly by Sean Bateman) imo...

Exactly. If we signed him. He might become another Berbatov where the expectation and pressure of playing for United affects his game.

PHB wrote: »
    I think Modric is one of the top 5 players in the world in his stlye of play. I think his style of play would perfectly fit into the United system right now.
    There are probably 5 players in the Spanish national team alone better than him at 'his style of play'

PHB wrote: »

Theres 5 players in the Barcelona team ahead of him never mind the world!

He's worth more than £25 million. We need an attacking midfielder and he's probably the only one that fits the bill right now who's also proven in the Premier League. That makes him highly valuable to us.

We don't need an attacking midfielder. When is the last time United have even used one?
    As for the level of any bid, Spurs have called £22 million derisory so what would you propose - £22.5 million?

Something a bit less drastic than countering £22m with a £35m bid would be fine. An opening bid of £35m is madness and means the eventual price will end up somewhere silly like £45m.
    Irrespective of the level of the fee, we need this guy. If we want to slay the Barca beast, we need this guy. We should move heaven and earth to get him. We p..s so much money away on the wrong guys and here we have the right guy. Paying over the odds for the right guy isn't the worst thing in the world. We throw millions away on degenerates like Bebe and Obertan (£10 million was wasted on these bums). I'd lose no sleep over us overpaying for Luka Modric. We should be willing to go to £30 million plus Berbatov. That and £150K a week has to turn the heads of Levy and the player.

You are pinning way too much of your hopes on a transfer thats unlikey too happen and your desperation that we sign him is a bit pathetic tbh. Modric would improve the United team undoubtedly, but he's not that brilliant that ist worth getting all wound up when he eventually signs for Chelsea. Same thing happens every Summer, people pin all their hopes on some exotic signing only to get all angry with the club when it doesn't happen they way they'd like. its not United's fault the guy wants to go to Chelsea. Thats his choice and IMO in the long run, his loss. United are bigger than any player, such desperation to have any player that doesn't seem that pushed to join us is beneath us.

If we start the season with

Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Jones
    Cleverly
    Young
    Park

as our options for central midfield I'll be happy out.

Hes a decent player but theres no way we should be offering 25 million plus the top goalscorer in the league for an "attacking" midfielder who scored 3 goals and had 3 assists.

I mean Vidic scored 2 more goals than him throughout the season :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lads, can anybody actually say for sure, we want to sign modric and actually will bid for him?ive never yet seen one concrete report or confirmation we are after him. The fact he came out and mentioned chelsea as being his destination I think prooves this.

This all stems from one comment in a match program by fergie and a journalist latched on to it.. we may go for him as fergir does rate him bit bit I wouldnt bet on it. I think our targets lie elsewhere and diarra will be one of them. I still expect 5 signings,though that wud see one high profile depaeture at least.

Re eng 21´s Jones, welbz and smalling had good tournaments, gutted to see them lose out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

If we start the season with

Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Jones
    Cleverly
    Young
    Park

as our options for central midfield I'll be happy out.
    I wouldnt! Jones, Cleverly, Young and Park are not really centre mids. Giggs while he is playing well will turn 38 this season, Ando is unreliable as is Carrick. Fletcher and Ando will have to have huge seasons imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Young is not an option for central midfield. He's an option as a front of the three. Jones isn't an option for central midfield, he's an option as the back of a three.

We need somebody who can receive the ball from the back four, and pass it to the front four, maybe with the help of the person next to him.

If we don't sign a player who can do that this summer, I will be incredibly disappointed. I think it will ensure that we won't be able to win the CL next season. I'd have been happy if we signed nobody but De Gea and a central midfielder. Jones, Young, Sanchez would all be nice, but the midfielder is the most important transfer this summer, and the progress we've made worries me deeply.

If we don't sign someone, the only hope is that Anderson steps up, plays to his potential for 50+ games next season. That might happen, but I doubt that's what Fergie is thinking. If he doesn't strengthen in midfield this summer, he will have made the same mistake for two summers running.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement