Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

SK1979 wrote: »
    Cant say I'm too upset to see the England U21's crash out. They were way out of their league. Smalling, Jones and Welbeck came out of it probably looking the best players.

But the silver lining is the lads involved will surely be back pre-season earlier so they might feature on the US tour? Anyone any knowledge of this?

Hope not, it's gonna be a long season and 2 of those guys could make the England Euro 2012 squad, give them an extra few weeks off rather than flying them half across the world for a few meaningless friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

flahavaj wrote: »
    We don't need an attacking midfielder. When is the last time United have even used one?

Something a bit less drastic than countering £22m with a £35m bid would be fine. An opening bid of £35m is madness and means the eventual price will end up somewhere silly like £45m.

You are pinning way too much of your hopes on a transfer thats unlikey too happen and your desperation that we sign him is a bit pathetic tbh. Modric would improve the United team undoubtedly, but he's not that brilliant that ist worth getting all wound up when he eventually signs for Chelsea. Same thing happens every Summer, people pin all their hopes on some exotic signing only to get all angry with the club when it doesn't happen they way they'd like. its not United's fault the guy wants to go to Chelsea. Thats his choice and IMO in the long run, his loss. United are bigger than any player, such desperation to have any player that doesn't seem that pushed to join us is beneath us.

If we start the season with

Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Jones
    Cleverly
    Young
    Park

as our options for central midfield I'll be happy out.

Thats an excellent post.
    But its not just about the players, its the style of play thats also important.
    You can have the best players in the world but if you dont play to their strengths or play a rigid 4-4-2 or whatever, you can still get beat.
    Utd need to change the style in Europe IMO.
    Chelsea are also rebuilding and it looks like we are trying to move away from the power football that we play when Drogbas at his best.
    Maybe something a little less direct, more subtle and creative.
    Rooney's a very intelligent footballer and he can adapt and create as well as score goals.
    If Carrick was a bit more consistant, he could play in Rooney a lot more.
    Little one - twos and play him into space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

#15 wrote: »
    I hope we never get him. I hate* him.

*football hate
    after croke park or something else? Im not too gone on him but he redeemed my faith in him v barcelona, thought he was superb those fixture.
    Put Carrick beside him and rooney, nani and young in front of him and we would be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,460 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I agree with Flah that we don't need an all out attacking mid but if we were to sign one then I'd rather it be Sneijder over Modric is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hope not, it's gonna be a long season and 2 of those guys could make the England Euro 2012 squad, give them an extra few weeks off rather than flying them half across the world for a few meaningless friendlies

I'd like to see them in the touring party, get used to playing with the rest of the squad (ok, Smalling doesn't really matter as he has a season under his belt), but the others are new or returning squad members. Plus, there's little chance of burn out with them as none of them will feature in all our games.

Of course the most crucial is De Gea (if he signs of course) as he'll have to get used to playing with a completely new back four, and the language barriers etc. But Spain will most likely be in the final so thats at least another week before he finishes so he'll hardly be back in time for the tour. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PHB wrote: »
    Young is not an option for central midfield. He's an option as a front of the three. Jones isn't an option for central midfield, he's an option as the back of a three.

I'm comparing our options for next season to last season. We look set to lose Gibson - he was only really any good at all (and arguably wasn't even that good ethen either) as the front of a three - Young/Cleverly more than make up for his loss - in fact they're a big step up. We have also lost Hargreaves - given that he barely kicked a ball in two years, having someone like Jones who could act as a destroyer in a three (or a two against most PL teams IMO) again is a big upgrade. Leaving us with Scholes - he was avery marginal figure for the second half of the season and slipped sown he pecking order. I agree that a lomhg term replacement will be needed, but we can manage to cover for the loss of the declining version of him over one season if needs be. He is wsuch a good player that only a handful of players could replace what he brought in his prime - if they're not available at the moent or don't want to come to us then i'd rather wait for a good enough ption to ome along next Summer than waste the dollars on an inferior alternative. I think Fergie shares this philosophy.
    We need somebody who can receive the ball from the back four, and pass it to the front four, maybe with the help of the person next to him.

Agreed but if the handful of players who can do that to the level of Scholes of 2006/7 aren't available then I'd happily wait it out another year. The options we have will see us challenge on all fronts just like we have done consistently for all the time I've been hearing our midfield isn't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Has any of these players actually signed? Young jones de gae?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

after croke park or something else? Im not too gone on him but he redeemed my faith in him v barcelona, thought he was superb those fixture.
    Put Carrick beside him and rooney, nani and young in front of him and we would be ok.

Yeah Croke Park is one aspect.
    His passing and tactical awareness can be atrocious at times.
    His head that makes him look like a whale.
    He seems to have a bit of attitude.

You're right though, he was very good against Barca. It's a fairly irrational and longstanding grudge that I have against him.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

we have a better chance of signing Sneijder than modric i feel,chelski are interested and will inevitably outbid us,levy will love this.

inter could badly do with a player of berba's style,cash and berba deal??????

i also think sneijder would adapt to playing slightly more defensive when needed,he has the aura about him to,like robbo,cantona,keane exactly what this young(ish) team needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Agreed but if the handful of players who can do that to the level of Scholes of 2006/7 aren't available then I'd happily wait it out another year. The options we have will see us challenge on all fronts just like we have done consistently for all the time I've been hearing our midfield isn't good enough.

We don't need somebody to replace Scholes who can do it to the same level as him. Just like we didn't need somebody who could do what Ronaldo did to the same level - Valencia was a good winger, that was all we needed at the time. All we need now is a good central midfielder instead of the dross we have. Yes we have done well with our sub standard central midfield over the past few years, but we can do better. There is clear room for improvement in that department. We have had our arses handed to us in CL finals twice in the last few years, lets look to actually improve the team rather than just staying the same and saying ''ah sure it's good enough''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I'm comparing our options for next season to last season. We look set to lose Gibson - he was only really any good at all (and arguably wasn't even that good ethen either) as the front of a three - Young/Cleverly more than make up for his loss - in fact they're a big step up. We have also lost Hargreaves - given that he barely kicked a ball in two years, having someone like Jones who could act as a destroyer in a three (or a two against most PL teams IMO) again is a big upgrade. Leaving us with Scholes - he was avery marginal figure for the second half of the season and slipped sown he pecking order. I agree that a lomhg term replacement will be needed, but we can manage to cover for the loss of the declining version of him over one season if needs be. He is wsuch a good player that only a handful of players could replace what he brought in his prime - if they're not available at the moent or don't want to come to us then i'd rather wait for a good enough ption to ome along next Summer than waste the dollars on an inferior alternative. I think Fergie shares this philosophy.

Personally i think we need a much stronger midfield to last years to retain the PL. If Abramovic hadn't have meddled so much I think Chelsea would have won the premiership. This season it looks like they will get in hiddink who is a stronger manager and they want to splash the cash. If Torres recovers his form they will be a huge force.

Pro. F wrote: »
    We don't need somebody to replace Scholes who can do it to the same level as him. Just like we didn't need somebody who could do what Ronaldo did to the same level - Valencia was a good winger, that was all we needed at the time. All we need now is a good central midfielder instead of the dross we have. Yes we have done well with our sub standard central midfield over the past few years, but we can do better. There is clear room for improvement in that department. We have had our arses handed to us in CL finals twice in the last few years, lets look to actually improve the team rather than just staying the same and saying ''ah sure it's good enough''.

I'm fine with that. I've stated before that someone like Fellaini is someone we should be looking at. Its the constant pining after a fancy exotic signing like Sneijder or Ozil thats so irrritating, and the sunsequent wailing and gnashing of teeth when these guys we probably never even considered aren't signed. I'm all for realistic, pragmatic additions to the squad, they're invariaby the signings that Fergie gets right more than anyone else.

But I won't be gutted if no midfielder comes in either, as I said earlier, I actually think our options look a little better this year than they did last. of course the CL Final defeats were hard to take but we need to plan for 60 game a year and not merely for hypothetical games against a team we might not play against for five years.

Personally i think we need a much stronger midfield to last years to retain the PL. If Abramovic hadn't have meddled so much I think Chelsea would have won the premiership. This season it looks like they will get in hiddink who is a stronger manager and they want to splash the cash. If Torres recovers his form they will be a huge force.

Our midfield consisting of the much maligned Carrick and 37 year old Giggs comprehensively outplayed Chelsea's last season three times in quick succession. If anything their need is far greater than ours in midfield.

Our midfield consisting of the much maligned Carrick and 37 year old Giggs comprehensively outplayed Chelsea's last season three times in quick succession. If anything their need is far greater than ours in midfield.
    They might have outplayed Chelsea but Barca made a show of them and there are about 60 games in a season. Chelsea suited the Giggs/Carrick pairing as they didnt press them much. They sat back and let Carrick play and in fairness to Carrick he played well.

I'm fine with that. I've stated before that someone like Fellaini is someone we should be looking at. Its the constant pining after a fancy exotic signing like Sneijder or Ozil thats so irrritating, and the sunsequent wailing and gnashing of teeth when these guys we probably never even considered aren't signed. I'm all for realistic, pragmatic additions to the squad, they're invariaby the signings that Fergie gets right more than anyone else.

But I won't be gutted if no midfielder comes in either, as I said earlier, I actually think our options look a little better this year than they did last. of course the CL Final defeats were hard to take but we need to plan for 60 game a year and not merely for hypothetical games against a team we might not play against for five years.

I agree with the first paragraph anyway. If we signed a Fellaini or similar, or even a Rodwell, but didn't sign a Fancy Dan I would still be happy.

The second paragraph I don't agree with so much. I think we will be slightly worse than last year with the loss of Scholes. And while we do have to plan for 60 games more than just the CL final we still have a lot of room for improvement in the centre. It would help our campaign overall as well as our performances in the really big games.

Not a chance. We beat them, but not because our midfield outplayed theirs. That simply didn't happen. Overall, their midfield had the better of the play. It was our superior defence and forwards who won those games for us.

• Advertisement

Not a chance. We beat them, but not because our midfield outplayed theirs. That simply didn't happen. Overall, their midfield had the better of the play. It was our superior defence and forwards who won those games for us.

We were better than them all over the pitch tbh - but both Giggs and Carrick were superb in both legs of the CL tie. Its not an inaccurate assessment to say we outplayed them in the middle of the park IMO. Only Ramires of their midfielders came out of the games with any credit and even he wasn't great.

Our midfield really isn't half as bad as is made out sometimes. Barca murdered them absolutely, but in fairness they are a one-off case.

We were better than them all over the pitch tbh - but both Giggs and Carrick were superb in both legs of the CL tie. Its not an inaccurate assessment to say we outplayed them in the middle of the park IMO. Only Ramires of their midfielders came out of the games with any credit and even he wasn't great.

Our midfield really isn't half as bad as is made out sometimes. Barca murdered them absolutely, but in fairness they are a one-off case.
    Chelsea where poor after Wilkins was sacked. They were winning games but they looked poor. Arsenals midfield totally over ran us too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

If we start the season with

Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Jones
    Cleverly
    Young
    Park

as our options for central midfield I'll be happy out.

I'll ignore your offensive use of the word "pathetic".

I'll be disgusted if we start next season with the above "midfielders". We've been woefully short in midfield for years and we need at least one world class addition. Carrick isn't the answer - He's proven that. Fletcher's a good honest option. Anderson's a joke in my view (and he's never fit anyway). Giggs is 37 and was badly exposed in the CL final. Jones is a centre half...citing him as a midfield option is just spin. Young's a winger and worse than the wingers we already have at the club and Park's not really a central midfielder. So far our signings haven't improved the first team. That's not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'll leave you lads to debate this until you're all blue in the face (yes that was intentional)

Flahavaj - I'd be astonished (but not disappointed) if that was the extent of our MF options come September 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There is a difference between chatting about potential signings and pining for "fancy exotic players". Getting upset over United not signing somebody that was chatted about is silly. But we can still talk about Sneijder or whoever without it being seen as pining. It is just a discussion on the type of player United may or may not need.

I think United really need to improve midfield this season. If you look at the majority of big games last year, Giggs was the player with cutting edge. The 3 games against Chelsea, Schalke etc are examples. There will come a time when Giggs simply isn't able to do that any more. The need for somebody who can get on the ball and dictate the game is massive in my eyes. United need somebody who can control possession and give killer passes at the right time. That need is growing as Giggs wanes. Giggs was so important in the run-in. You can't rely on him forever.

People point to United's success over the last few years as proof the current midfield is OK. But I would say that there has been an inordinate reliance on Giggs and Scholes for cutting edge at the biggest moments. They are the moments that win trophies. With Scholes gone and Giggs another year older, I feel the time is now for a new central midfielder. Of course I hope Anderson puts together a full season, but I think another body is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You did outplay us. But it wasnt hard tbh. Starting with the most out of form striker didnt help and confidence was low from the start. Our midfield was ponderous and slow and stood off you. Only Ramires had any energy.
    We were like a turkey already plucked and stuffed. All you had to do was light the fire and carve!
    Completely agree about Giggs - he won you a few matches on his own, Blackpool being an example. Complete legend on the pitch.
    Scholes also played the odd killer pass and Park was like a terrier, closing down and winning the ball back.
    You just need another midfielder imo
    Shame City have got Silva. He looks class
    If they can keep hold of Tevez, they could actually threaten this season

I'll ignore your offensive use of the word "pathetic".

I'll be disgusted if we start next season with the above "midfielders". We've been woefully short in midfield for years and we need at least one world class addition. Carrick isn't the answer - He's proven that. Fletcher's a good honest option. Anderson's a joke in my view (and he's never fit anyway). Giggs is 37 and was badly exposed in the CL final. Jones is a centre half...citing him as a midfield option is just spin. Young's a winger and worse than the wingers we already have at the club and Park's not really a central midfielder. So far our signings haven't improved the first team. That's not good.

Prepare for a long Summer of diasppointment then my friend. If we do sign a midfielder, it will be along the lines of Fellaini or a Rodwell than a Modric or Sneijder IMHO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I have no idea why some united fans have trouble saying that our midfield played extremely well in some games. Rather than look for excuses to take away from their performances. It's astounding.

Lads, it's lunatic stuff to suggest that we don't need major reconstruction in the midfield department. We've spoofed our way through the last few seasons with a midfield that's frankly pathetic when compared to other areas of our team. It's not pathetic when compared to other midfields in the league but it's just not up to the highest standard.

I'm as happy as the next United fan about winning title number 19 but we were very very lucky that Chelsea imploded. They'll be back stronger than ever under Hiddink (probably) with new quality additions, less injuries and Fernando Torres probably back to his best.

I'd go as far to say that if we don't sign at least one absolute quality central midfielder this summer, it's a disgrace.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I have no idea why some united fans have trouble saying that our midfield played extremely well in some games. Rather than look for excuses to take away from their performances. It's astounding.

Of course our midfield played well in some games.

That's not relevant to this discussion though. I remember games where John O'Shea did a great job in midfield against top class opposition. That's not a sustainable argument for sticking John O'Shea in midfield permanently and expecting us to win things though.

Prepare for a long Summer of diasppointment then my friend. If we do sign a midfielder, it will be along the lines of Fellaini or a Rodwell than a Modric or Sneijder IMHO.

I'd like to see us sign Rodwell and Modric (obviously).

Sneijder is probably more suited to playing off a striker which is why I'm pro Modric.

What is wrong with saying they played well, but still looking for improvement?

Giggs was a massive part of why they played well. Is it really sensible to rely on a 37 year old?

Of course our midfield played well in some games.

That's not relevant to this discussion though. I remember games where John O'Shea did a great job in midfield against top class opposition. That's not a sustainable argument for sticking John O'Shea in midfield permanently and expecting us to win things though.

Nobody is putting forward an argument for JOS to be our first choice midfielder though. All I'm saying is that the midfield that got us to the CL Final (our 3rd in 4 years) and won us the league (our 4th in 5 years) is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

For arguments sake, let's assume Ray Wilkins never got the sack, lets also assume Chelsea didn't suffer one of the most spectacular slumps, do you think we would have won the PL?

Would you hold the same opinion had we not won the PL for the 19th time?

Answer honestly please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Where did I call him a one-season wonder? There's no need to put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is that you cannot plan with certainty. We don't know for sure how Hernandez will react in his second season. That is not saying he WILL have a dip, but it is pretty common.

lol. Read my post again man, you picked it up wrongly. That is what people said about Ruud, and it wasn't true.

Similarly, you can't accurately predict that Chico is going to struggle next year.

He has all the right attributes, and right people behind him.

• Advertisement

Nobody is putting forward an argument for JOS to be our first choice midfielder though.

Eh, what point are you trying to respond to here?

The point is that John O'Shea's done well as a midfielder in the past. Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick did well in midfield towards the end of the season. How well any of them have done historically is irrelevant. They're not good enough and they're not a long term solution. We need to improve our midfield...simple as that. Anyone who disputes that is deluding themselves. Our success over the last few seasons has been DESPITE our midfield, not because of it.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    lol. Read my post again man, you picked it up wrongly. That is what people said about Ruud, and it wasn't true.

Similarly, you can't accurately predict that Chico is going to struggle next year.

He has all the right attributes, and right people behind him.

I read and understood your post, it's hardly Finnegan's Wake. Your example of what was said about Ruud implies I am saying the same about Hernandez. I am not predicting he will struggle, but saying that he MAY struggle. There is a difference.

We weren't superb in both legs of the CL tie. Chelsea were in a bad way and we beat them. If we had been superb in those games then I would have had more confidence going into the game against Barca. It can be debated about who had the better of the midfield battle over the course of those two legs, when all 180 minutes are looked at in their entirety, so I'll leave that tie. But look at the last game against them in the league. They clearly had the better of that midfield battle when you look at the whole 90 minutes. But you don't see that. Many others don't either. I think you just can't see past the result and the strong start we had. Their midfield played better than ours on the day.

Chelsea's central midfield has started to look a bit flawed this season, but their options are still better than ours. Just like most other big teams around that you would care to mention. I'm sick of people trying to pretend that Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Giggs (and Scholes before now) is a good central midfield pool of players for the standard we expect to compete at. The fact that we have been competing for the top prizes in the last few years is hardly surprising considering we have the best manager of all time, the best defence in the world, a deep squad and one of the best forward lines in the world. Of course we're going to do well with those aspects in the team. We have done very well with our substandard midfield. That's still no reason not to look to do better.

Nobody is putting forward an argument for JOS to be our first choice midfielder though. All I'm saying is that the midfield that got us to the CL Final (our 3rd in 4 years) and won us the league (our 4th in 5 years) is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

A few things here. I don't think the midfield was bad, it obviously could not be. But my gripe is that you cannot continue to rely on Giggs to do the business. I am not saying he is about to have a bad season, but he will need to used intelligently. He won't have the gas to last a full season. Then add in thatScholes is gone and he played a big role in the success of the last 5 years.

So it is perfectly reasonable to agree that the midfield has been unfairly criticised, but is still in need of new blood. Although whilst I think it has been overstated at times, I think it is clear United have midfield issues. That a 37 year old left winger would be needed so much is evidence enough of that.

Anderson could be the answer if he stays fit after a good pre-season, but I think a genuine, passing central midfielder is needed. Somebody who can do the job that Scholes and Giggs have been doing for the past few years.

Essien and Modric would the best midfield duo on the Premier League. Throw Fat Frank into the mix as part of a three and Chelsea look ridiculously strong in that area.

If we're still f..king around with a 38 year old left winger, a fat always injured Brazilian, a guy who needs 10 years on the ball to control it and pick out a pass (Carrick) and Fletch, I'll be disgusted.

Claiming our midfield is fine is head in the sand stuff.

We weren't superb in both legs of the CL tie. Chelsea were in a bad way and we beat them. If we had been superb in those games then I would have had more confidence going into the game against Barca. It can be debated about who had the better of the midfield battle over the course of those two legs, when all 180 minutes are looked at in their entirety, so I'll leave that tie. But look at the last game against them in the league. They clearly had the better of that midfield battle when you look at the whole 90 minutes. But you don't see that. Many others don't either. I think you just can't see past the result and the strong start we had. Their midfield played better than ours on the day.

Chelsea's central midfield has started to look a bit flawed this season, but their options are still better than ours. Just like most other big teams around that you would care to mention. I'm sick of people trying to pretend that Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Giggs (and Scholes before now) is a good central midfield pool of players for the standard we expect to compete at. The fact that we have been competing for the top prizes in the last few years is hardly surprising considering we have the best manager of all time, the best defence in the world, a deep squad and one of the best forward lines in the world. Of course we're going to do well with those aspects in the team. We have done very well with our substandard midfield. That's still no reason not to look to do better.

Fair points. I would certainly agree midfield is our weakest area if the pitch, I just don't agree our need to improve there is quite as bad as some are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Gees Bateman, you really like hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

O'Shea was in Sunderland today meeting with club officials. Means nothing really as he'll be meeting with lots of interested clubs, but as his agent is back from his honeymoon tonight I presume there'll be some proper movement on his situation over this next week.

The same agent represents Gibson too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that deal concluded over the next week.

Off topic, but the same agent has Al-Habsi on his books too who wants to move to Wigan. Fee expected to be around £4m.

Gees Bateman, you really like hyperbole.

The situation is that serious it calls for hyperbole.

Our defence is as good as anything that's out there. Our front two are as good as anything that's out there. Our wingers are as good as anything that's out there. Van der Sar (and probably de Gea) are as good as anything that's out there. Our central midfield is not as good as anything that's out there, ergo that's where any spending should be focussed.

This isn't rocket science and to be honest I'm shocked that there are United fans who think that's all's rosy in our midfield garden.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    O'Shea was in Sunderland today meeting with club officials.

The same agent represents Gibson too

No way should O'Shea be sold. What a player to have in a squad - A guy who can do a great job in so many positions.

As for Gibson, I'd pay his transport costs myself.

The situation is that serious it calls for hyperbole.

Our defence is as good as anything that's out there. Our front two are as good as anything that's out there. Our wingers are as good as anything that's out there. Van der Sar (and probably de Gea) are as good as anything that's out there. Our central midfield is not as good as anything that's out there, ergo that's where any spending should be focussed.

This isn't rocket science and to be honest I'm shocked that there are United fans who think that's all's rosy in our midfield garden.

The situation is not half as serious as you make out in your anguish-filled rants which are more designed to abuse the players in question than any worry about the club. The midfield could do with improving but its not a dire emergency of epic proportions either. Calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No way should O'Shea be sold. What a player to have in a squad - A guy who can do a great job in so many positions.

As for Gibson, I'd pay his transport costs myself.

Like I said though, just because he was meeting doesn't really mean anything. He'll meet with everyone who's interested and after all that might decide no-one can offer him a contract like he's on at Manchester United and decide to stay.

One thing is for sure though, Fergie is prepared to sell him. That's evident from the fact he accepted the £12m bid from Sunderland in the first place.

Personally I think he'll go, but unfortunately not to Sunderland.

What is wrong with saying they played well, but still looking for improvement?

Giggs was a massive part of why they played well. Is it really sensible to rely on a 37 year old?

I'm not talking about next season, all i'm saying is in the two CL games against CFC (throw in the league one as well) Our midfield handled all they had quite easily. You (not you p, general you) can use as many qualifiers as you want, this isn't going to change what happened. Chelsea had no answer to giggs and carrick, if our midfield had been freaking gibson and bebe and they had played like that i'd say the same thing. Sometimes i feel some people don't give credit where it's due. Regardless of how well the team played, they'll look for some excuse to knock them. That pisses me off.
    Samba wrote: »
    For arguments sake, let's assume Ray Wilkins never got the sack, lets also assume Chelsea didn't suffer one of the most spectacular slumps, do you think we would have won the PL?

Would you hold the same opinion had we not won the PL for the 19th time?

Answer honestly please.

FFS, let's assume my aunty had balls as well as it has as much relevance.

If united had played as well in those games and still lost the league then yes my opinion would be the same, that giggs and carrick still outplayed them in those matches.
    Like I said though, just because he was meeting doesn't really mean anything. He'll meet with everyone who's interested and after all that might decide no-one can offer him a contract like he's on at Manchester United and decide to stay.

One thing is for sure though, Fergie is prepared to sell him. That's evident from the fact he accepted the £12m bid from Sunderland in the first place.

If JOS does leave it'd annoy me least if he ended up at ye or Everton.

FFS, let's assume my aunty had balls as well as it has as much relevance.

All those years and you still call your Uncle Aunty.... that's what I'd assume in that scenario.

A nice evasive post all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

All those years and you still call your Uncle Aunty.... that's what I'd assume in that scenario.

Perfect example of how assuming things can make a fool out of you. She may have easily had footballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think accepting the bid is not accurate. United accepted gisbon, not the others, neither player wanted sunderland. I expect brown to move, picking a team close to manchester, so I'm thinking everton or blackburn, bolton is a possibility but due to the Munich section at bolton, id be surprised to see any united boy like wes going there. O shea imo will be at united next year. Very disappointed to miss out on cl final which may have dampened relationship with lord fergie but I'm sure it will be sorted.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Perfect example of how assuming things can make a fool out of you. She may have easily had footballs.

I'll get your coat for you too on the way out, however the point I was trying to get across will have made itself come the end of the transfer window and the start of the new season, we might not splash out on big names but I'm willing to bet money that next season you're going to see a very different united mf and not without good reason.

all i'm saying is in the two CL games against CFC (throw in the league one as well) Our midfield handled all they had quite easily. You (not you p, general you) can use as many qualifiers as you want, this isn't going to change what happened. Chelsea had no answer to giggs and carrick,

There is no need to use qualifiers. You are just wrong. The CL games I can accept is debatable, but the last league game there can be no doubt that Chelsea were better in the centre than us. To say that Giggs and Carrick handled all they had quite easily is miles wide of the mark imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

first post in new thread

that is all

Evasive? Did you stop reading halfway through my post.

TBH your post is childish, you can speculate on Ray Wilkins and anything else you want, but it's pointless tbh.
    There is no need to use qualifiers. You are just wrong. The CL games I can accept is debatable, but the last league game there can be no doubt that Chelsea were better in the centre than us. To say that Giggs and Carrick handled all they had quite easily is miles wide of the mark imo.

No i'm not wrong. You're wrong. Imo. (Yep for the same illuminating reasons as yourself)

Edit: just for the hell of it here's the Zonal Marking for that united chelsea game.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/08/manchester-united-2-1-chelsea-united-take-huge-step-towards-19th-league-title/

Conclusion

A dominant performance from United that was all about control – Chelsea briefly rallied in the second half, but after a slight nervous period, United were professional and disciplined at the back.

The key was the difference in positioning of United’s two wingers – Valencia took the fight to Cole and conclusively won the battle, whilst Park tucked in, provided energy in the midfield and gave himself space to create the crucial first goal.

/awaits the qualifers to rain down...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement