Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

He's worth more than £25 million. We need an attacking midfielder and he's probably the only one that fits the bill right now who's also proven in the Premier League. That makes him highly valuable to us.

As for the level of any bid, Spurs have called £22 million derisory so what would you propose - £22.5 million?

Irrespective of the level of the fee, we need this guy. If we want to slay the Barca beast, we need this guy. We should move heaven and earth to get him. We p..s so much money away on the wrong guys and here we have the right guy. Paying over the odds for the right guy isn't the worst thing in the world. We throw millions away on degenerates like Bebe and Obertan (£10 million was wasted on these bums). I'd lose no sleep over us overpaying for Luka Modric. We should be willing to go to £30 million plus Berbatov. That and £150K a week has to turn the heads of Levy and the player.

Sorry Sean but after this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72834117&postcount=381

It appears that you live on a diet based entirely on methylated spirits. Can I suggest that you save yourself from further embarrassment by closing your boards.ie account immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I expect brown to move, picking a team close to manchester, so I'm thinking everton or blackburn, bolton is a possibility but due to the Munich section at bolton, id be surprised to see any united boy like wes going there.
    If Blackburn sign that injury prone has been I'll be disgusted. Who on earth would want somebody that is behind Fabio as a right back and Evans as a centre back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mezcita wrote: »

It appears that you live on a diet based entirely on methylated spirits. Can I suggest that you save yourself from further embarrassment by closing your boards.ie account immediately.
    You are one insulting git aren't you. With the way transfers have gone since January, I'm thinking Carroll, Luiz, Torres, Henderson you would have to think that Modric is a £40m+ player right now. Berbatov is 30 and he scored lots of goals last season but he might not be wanted at United now as I'm sure he is on very big wages and he is only no.3 up front with Hernandez having taken his place. What the poster is proposing isn't all that mad apart from the fact that I don't think Spurs fans would like to see Berbatov back there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

"reports in spain" have us going for Xavi Alonso this morning...not sure if i believe that to be honest, but lets see. i think if we do raid Real, it would be an attempt for Diarra.

though, i still expect one total surprise signing, i can just fell it. Alonso would fall under that category, but not sure if Madrid would sell him to us or indeed, if we would be interested. and doubt he would leave them also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

"reports in spain" have us going for Xavi Alonso this morning...not sure if i believe that to be honest, but lets see. i think if we do raid Real, it would be an attempt for Diarra.

Just reading that now myself, that would certainly annoy a few people around these parts but like yourself i think Diarra is more of a realistic target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Something else to consider,how accurate this report maybe i don't know...

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/866794-lassana-diarra-set-for-man-united-transfer-as-park-ji-sung-nears-exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Metro have never managed one correct United rumour but I guess that they will one day.

Any deals between us & Real are a possibility because SAF & Jose get on well. I would not be surprised if they have a chat on the phone this summer.

EDIT: Looks like we really can forget about Modric:

Modric is expected to clarify in his statement that he does not have his heart set on a move to Chelsea – just that if Spurs agreed a deal with the club he would be prepared to go. Sources at Tottenham have said that regardless of what Modric said over the weekend, he is not in the frame of mind to go to war with the club to force a move.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/modric-changes-tack-after-spurs-stand-firm-over-chelsea-interest-2299988.html

Good article - looks like he's praying for forgiveness !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

New thread didn't even realise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Vanbis wrote: »
    Just reading that now myself, that would certainly annoy a few people around these parts but like yourself i think Diarra is more of a realistic target.

Diarra is a bad move and a step down from Park.
    Big headed and trouble, hence the number of clubs he has been to
    I'd stay well clear

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I really hope Diarra doesn't end up at United. Not a fan of him at all, and would be disruptive on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Off-topic slightly, that Eamon Dunphy twitter account was fake. Whoever it was started attacking some actor friend of Steven Gerrard, and the account was closed soon after....

• Advertisement

park and diarra are not the same players, so first thing is diarra is not a step down from park. i love park, dont get me wrong, BUT.....he is limited and the CL final prooved that.

Diarra would not be my first choice, but if we got him plus an attacking player to play behind the striker in a midfield 5, i would be happy enough. ando, fletcher, carrick and giggs would be a decent compliment to Diarra plus an attacking CM.

i wouldnt be too sad to see park go, he did just have his best season for us, but to say park is better than diarra is baffling. great squad player, but our squad is one of the best in the world, if not the best, thats why we have 4 leagues and 3 cl finals in 5 years, plus 3 cups. its our first 11 that got beat by Barcelona and our first 11 that needs improving. De Gea will i think do that, ashley young give us an option on the left or through the middle in a midfield 5. now we need that bit of strength in front of the back 4 ala essien and busquets.

diarra is no busquests, but in the games ive seen him play this year, he was able to hold his own.

a lad i swap tickets with for games reckons he has heard we are going for Neymar....i thought that was a done deal to Real already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

a lad i swap tickets with for games reckons he has heard we are going for Neymar....i thought that was a done deal to Real already?

Very doubtful I would say.

Smegball wrote: »
    Very doubtful I would say.

the real deal is doubtful or the united going for him?

i was under the impression it was signed and sealed to real. ive not seen enough of him to comment on him, though from what i seen, im not too keen on him.

i know i say that about most united "targets" though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I'm not sure who's worse - You with your idiotic post in the middle of the night or the clowns who thanked you for it.

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'm not talking about next season, all i'm saying is in the two CL games against CFC (throw in the league one as well) Our midfield handled all they had quite easily. You (not you p, general you) can use as many qualifiers as you want, this isn't going to change what happened. Chelsea had no answer to giggs and carrick, if our midfield had been freaking gibson and bebe and they had played like that i'd say the same thing. Sometimes i feel some people don't give credit where it's due. Regardless of how well the team played, they'll look for some excuse to knock them. That pisses me off.

I saw almost unanimous praise for them after the Chelsea games. Credit was due and credit was given. But this is a conversation about possible transfers.

Discodog wrote: »
    EDIT: Looks like we really can forget about Modric:

Modric is expected to clarify in his statement that he does not have his heart set on a move to Chelsea – just that if Spurs agreed a deal with the club he would be prepared to go. Sources at Tottenham have said that regardless of what Modric said over the weekend, he is not in the frame of mind to go to war with the club to force a move

On that basis, we're now more likely to get Modric.

It was reported that Modric had his heart set on a move to Chelsea. That has turned out to be untrue. Spurs have always been unhappy about any move for Modric. Now we know that if we can passify Spurs, Modric is open minded.

This is good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

From that Indo article:

"Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, said yesterday other big clubs were interested in Modric. The notion he would only wish to stay in London were he to leave Spurs is not thought to be accurate."

Boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I'm not sure who's worse - You with your idiotic post in the middle of the night or the clowns who thanked you for it.

Get a life.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    If Blackburn sign that injury prone has been I'll be disgusted. Who on earth would want somebody that is behind Fabio as a right back and Evans as a centre back?

Lads... why do you log into boards, come into this thread and waste your valuable time by responding to shíte posts like these? This may be a bit ironic, yes, but I'm just trying to get my point across. This new thread is useless so far - the sooner the football starts again, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

the real deal is doubtful or the united going for him?

i was under the impression it was signed and sealed to real. ive not seen enough of him to comment on him, though from what i seen, im not too keen on him.

i know i say that about most united "targets" though!

The United bit.

Like you say I think hes a banker signing for Madrid.

you know, there is a theory that fergie will sign no CM players this year, will go with what we have there plus the young lads and then bring in some attackers/attacking midfielders like young and maybe 1/2 more of that nature.

nothing would f*cking surprise me, fergie very rarely does what the fans want or expect. thing is, if we sign varane, that could mean jones is signed as a Defensive Midfieler.

2 lads have picked up my Sneijder and Rodwell/Lassana Diarra bids that i put up on twitter last night and are running with it today...twitter is some place for starting rumours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Maybe Fergie sees a couple of the youngsters stepping up to the plate this year? I mean if there is any truth in the rumour that he is planning on bringing Morrison on the US tour, maybe he sees Ravel as one of the "new" signings that the fans want.

With Cleverly coming back too that is another option in the middle.

If anything Fergie has never been shy of giving youth a chance, maybe this year is it again.

*I'll be highly pissed off if it is :D I want our marque signing dam it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

lordgoat wrote: »
    Evasive? Did you stop reading halfway through my post.

TBH your post is childish, you can speculate on Ray Wilkins and anything else you want, but it's pointless tbh.

Childish, says the man talking about his Aunts balls?????! Oh :rolleyes:

Fine, you've got an issue with discussing potential outcomes, no need to come on like a keyboard warrior and try and belittle me, not the example you'd expect from a boards.ie mod tbh.

If you think its pointless, just say so, no need to make analogies about yours Aunts genitalia and then subsequently call me childish to boot!

Our MF is not "grand" and Fergie knows it and the changes that will be made over the summer will reflect this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

park and diarra are not the same players, so first thing is diarra is not a step down from park. i love park, dont get me wrong, BUT.....he is limited and the CL final prooved that.

Diarra would not be my first choice, but if we got him plus an attacking player to play behind the striker in a midfield 5, i would be happy enough. ando, fletcher, carrick and giggs would be a decent compliment to Diarra plus an attacking CM.

i wouldnt be too sad to see park go, he did just have his best season for us, but to say park is better than diarra is baffling. great squad player, but our squad is one of the best in the world, if not the best, thats why we have 4 leagues and 3 cl finals in 5 years, plus 3 cups. its our first 11 that got beat by Barcelona and our first 11 that needs improving. De Gea will i think do that, ashley young give us an option on the left or through the middle in a midfield 5. now we need that bit of strength in front of the back 4 ala essien and busquets.

diarra is no busquests, but in the games ive seen him play this year, he was able to hold his own.

Whoa there Homer! He has very big boots to fill, never mind improve on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hate Diarra with a fiery passion.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Whoa there Homer! He has very big boots to fill, never mind improve on!

ya your right. i guess being at vds last game for united and my OPINION that he had his poorest game of the season, slightly tarnishes my view of him...

im hopefuly de gea can reach his heights though.

ya your right. i guess being at vds last game for united and my OPINION that he had his poorest game of the season, slightly tarnishes my view of him...

im hopefuly de gea can reach his heights though.

That's a tad harsh. Yes he could have done better for Messi's goal (which went more or less down the middle) but he was partially unsighted 'cause (I think) Evra was in the way. He did then go on to make some excellent saves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_6997564,00.html
    Udinese - No Sanchez deal

Udinese have stated no deal has been brokered with Barcelona for Alexis Sanchez amid weekend reports the starlet would be flying in to finalise the transfer.

The 22-year-old forward is currently training with the Chilean national squad ahead of next month's Copa America, but was thought to be ready to leave the camp to rubber-stamp the transfer.

The Catalan giants have reportedly offered €28million (£24.6m) up front along with a €11m (£9.6m) bonus and promising youngster Jonathan Soriano in exchange.

However, Udinese president Giampaolo Pozzo insists Sanchez remains the club's player as Barcelona's offer remains well short of the club's asking price.

"Sanchez is still an Udinese player," he told Sky Sport 24 Italia. "I'm sorry about this 'saga'. We wanted to keep him for another year to help us with the UEFA Champions League qualifiers.

"But unfortunately we're not a big club in Europe, so when top clubs put their eyes on our player you cannot do anything. But the right offer has not yet arrived.

"Barcelona's offer is not yet the right price, and everyone knows it: both Barcelona and other big clubs. Between us and Barcelona we are still far away."

You have to wonder what kind of price they're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Samba wrote: »
    Childish, says the man talking about his Aunts balls?????! Oh :rolleyes:

Fine, you've got an issue with discussing potential outcomes, no need to come on like a keyboard warrior and try and belittle me, not the example you'd expect from a boards.ie mod tbh.

If you think its pointless, just say so, no need to make analogies about yours Aunts genitalia and then subsequently call me childish to boot!

Our MF is not "grand" and Fergie knows it and the changes that will be made over the summer will reflect this.

Tbh, speculating whether we would have won 19 if Wilkins didn't leave Chelsea is as completely and utterly pointless as discussing his aunts bits. It's a rubbish argument based on nothing but speculation.

Fact is 19 is in the bag. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

flahavaj wrote: »
    Prepare for a long Summer of diasppointment then my friend. If we do sign a midfielder, it will be along the lines of Fellaini or a Rodwell than a Modric or Sneijder IMHO.

Tbh at this stage with none of the major players we wanted looking to be available at anything near reasonable, if at all (Modric, Nasri, Sneijder) if we made a signing along the lines of Fellaini or Rodwell, coupled with a young unknown (a lá Chico;)) I think I would be quite happy providing Anderson gets back on track as we saw after his injury around Xmas time, with Fletch getting back to his 08/9 form and Carrick continuing his revival of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

has the speculation around that Pato bloke died down?

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Tbh, speculating whether we would have won 19 if Wilkins didn't leave Chelsea is as completely and utterly pointless as discussing his aunts bits. It's a rubbish argument based on nothing but speculation.

Fact is 19 is in the bag. Move on.

It's not a rubbish argument and it's ridiculous to conclude that United winning the title means that all's rosy in the garden.

We were lucky that Chelsea imploded and it's ridiculous not to acknowledge that and plan accordingly.

Do you think it's ridiculous for a winning Formula 1 team to speculate on what might have happened and try and improve after its closest rival suffered a blow out while in a seemingly unassailable position?

Your "we won - that's the end of it" argument is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Defour is rumored to be looking for a move away from Standard

http://www.goal.com/en/news/553/russia/2011/06/15/2533231/agent-reveals-standard-lieges-steven-defour-in-talks-with

Fergie was interested in him for quite I while I thought. Is he too injury prone I wonder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Quandary wrote: »
    Defour is rumored to be looking for a move away from Standard

http://www.goal.com/en/news/553/russia/2011/06/15/2533231/agent-reveals-standard-lieges-steven-defour-in-talks-with

Fergie was interested in him for quite I while I thought. Is he too injury prone I wonder...

Eh what about sir Alex sending him the get well soon card :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Smudge1962 Paul Smith
    William Hill shorten the odds on Sir Alex Ferguson leaving MUFC to 12/1 after a deluge of bets in the Manchester area.

Probably nothing to it... hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Little Pea wrote: »
    Eh what about sir Alex sending him the get well soon card :-)

We havent been linked to him in ages though, but he would be a signing who I think could certainly strengthen our mf. He would also be available at a somewhat reasonable price I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

eugeneious wrote: »
    Probably nothing to it... hopefully!

Jesus at this stage anything can happen, would be shocked though, really shocked.

Bookies do sometimes do this on purpose too to get punters in door.

That's a tad harsh. Yes he could have done better for Messi's goal (which went more or less down the middle) but he was partially unsighted 'cause (I think) Evra was in the way. He did then go on to make some excellent saves.

people go on about his saves, yet im not sure about this. i remember 2 - danny alves cutting in from the right one on one, and he saved with his legs - pretty routine, it was straight at him and then a rasper from Xavi, which i think was actually going wide...i cant remember anything else.

now bare in mind, ive never watch the match sense, so have no replays or anything to go on, but from what i remember, they were both bread and butter. i cant remember any saves in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

What's your Twitter name Homer?

• Advertisement

What's your Twitter name Homer?

sure that would be giving away my name then..... :p

have a look around, i have good contact with some of the main united lads..

a question, am i the only person on here that is not excited by modric and Nasri? i know signings are great for moral and all that and they are good players, but why would we spend 30+ million on modric for instance and then he is a failure?

he is a good player and maybe im not seeing it as clear as you lot, but i think Modric is very very overrated and ditto for Nasri. they would be huge gambles and not necessarily the answer.

the sad truth is, they're are very few players out there, who would improve united to the next level (i.e. Barcelona), that are available and want to come to united. people seem to miss that point day after day.

Get a life.

Mezcita (someone who I don't even know) posts offensive nonsense about me and I get a warning...the boys and their little gang strike again. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Quandary wrote: »
    We havent been linked to him in ages though, but he would be a signing who I think could certainly strengthen our mf. He would also be available at a somewhat reasonable price I would imagine.

He is one of my favourite players to watch :-) , ever since we were first linked with him a few years back i have watched out for him and his team. Class act he is.

Mezcita (someone who I don't even know) posts offensive nonsense about me and I get a warning...the boys and their little gang strike again. Pathetic.

You're not helping your case calling everyone clowns.......

You're not helping your case calling everyone clowns.......

In my book, thanking an offensive post like that is clownish.

Some people really need to cop themselves on. If a poster calls (say) Nani a gobsh1te, that doesn't give the mob licence to start making personal attacks on the poster.

In my book, thanking an offensive post like that is clownish.

Some people really need to cop themselves on. If a poster calls (say) Nani a gobsh1te, that doesn't give the mob licence to start making personal attacks on the poster.

I was thanking him for bringing to my attention your hate filled and amusingly misguided post on Rory, not what he said about you afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

he is a good player and maybe im not seeing it as clear as you lot, but i think Modric is very very overrated and ditto for Nasri. they would be huge gambles and not necessarily the answer.

the sad truth is, they're are very few players out there, who would improve united to the next level (i.e. Barcelona), that are available and want to come to united. people seem to miss that point day after day.

I'd agree with that. I don't get the Modric love in. Good player but you're talking about a gamble for huge money. Not that it seems United have a chance anyway.

I think most of United's best transfers are under 20 million. Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, VDS, Valencia, Nani, Ronaldo etc spring to mind. I don't mind if United don't sign a "name" figure. I'd just like an extra body in midfield. Of all the big names being bandied about, Sneijder is the only one worth the money. But that transfer is pie in the sky at the moment.

Nasri is a decent player and might turn into a very good player, but he is a tad over rated. That happens most players who have a little burst of goalscoring form like he had last year.

I was thanking him for bringing to my attention your hate filled and amusingly misguided post on Rory, not what he said about you afterwards.

Hate filled? Absolutely not.

Misguided? To a degree. McIlroy looked at what went wrong at Augusta and learned from it. I'm delighted for him. He carried himself wonderfully all week and was a credit to the sport and this island.

Hate filled? Absolutely not.

See?

I can exaggerate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd agree with that. I don't get the Modric love in. Good player but you're talking about a gamble for huge money. Not that it seems United have a chance anyway.

I think most of United's best transfers are under 20 million. Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, VDS, Valencia, Nani, Ronaldo etc spring to mind. I don't mind if United don't sign a "name" figure. I'd just like an extra body in midfield. Of all the big names being bandied about, Sneijder is the only one worth the money. But that transfer is pie in the sky at the moment.

Nasri is a decent player and might turn into a very good player, but he is a tad over rated. That happens most players who have a little burst of goalscoring form like he had last year.

Nasri is only 23 and lots of improvement to come from him in years to come,his transfer though is looking highly unlikely now.

Modric while not Xavi is a player who would improve the midfield we currently have,his ability to find a player and link play is what we need with Scholes retiring.His price tag of 30 million is little hefty but with Berba a possible make weight it might work out at 20 cash.

Personally i think Spurs would rather sell to us than Chelsea owing to rivallry etc but as with Nasri i think this transfer is unlikely as it seems Modric is settled in London,He seems like a grounded player with family important to him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement