Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You see a three match ban is not enough for a tackle with such verosity, a big ban will send out a signal that you cant tackle like that in the modern game. It was a disgusting tackle and if you think there is no malice in it then you are very naive indeed. This was a knee high challenge, the ball was on the ground.

What I saw was McManaman rushing in to try to clear the ball, just getting a slight touch on it before at his foot's maximum swing his studs hit Haidara on the knee.

I don't think it was meant to be a tackle at all, it was meant as a clearance. Of course a red card was appropriate, it was reckless and used excessive force, but to say it is malicious is wrong in my opinion, the lad never meant to injure him. I think you're overreacting by calling for such a massive ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

OK lads, if he was trying to "clear" the ball - why has he got a foot shape like so? You don't clear a ball like that, but what you do maim an opponent seriously.
    Absolutely ridiculous challenge, no remorse on the side of the player if you ask me, he didn't even go over to te stretcher when he was being carried off.

Awful form.

Never wished relegation on a club, but I truly hope Wigan find themselves in the Championship next season, and we can all tell Dave Whelan - "these things happen in football".

Haidara has ruptured ligaments I believe, out until Christmas likely, but who knows, may never come back the player he could have been. Takes a certain few to come back from something like that. Eduardo? Ramsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Debuchy has "a muscle tear" according to FFR. Should be out for a few weeks too then!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Doocey wrote: »
    OK lads, if he was trying to "clear" the ball - why has he got a foot shape like so? You don't clear a ball like that, but what you do maim an opponent seriously.
    Absolutely ridiculous challenge, no remorse on the side of the player if you ask me, he didn't even go over to te stretcher when he was being carried off.

Awful form.

Never wished relegation on a club, but I truly hope Wigan find themselves in the Championship next season, and we can all tell Dave Whelan - "these things happen in football".

Haidara has ruptured ligaments I believe, out until Christmas likely, but who knows, may never come back the player he could have been. Takes a certain few to come back from something like that. Eduardo? Ramsey?

You should look at the video footage as opposed to the photo before you spout all that about trying to injure him. He swings his leg into that position while kicking the ball.

Also how do you know he has no remorse? When a player is stretchered off it's customary for all players to give them space. How do you know he didn't apologise immediately or visit Haidara?

DM360 wrote: »
    You should look at the video footage as opposed to the photo before you spout all that about trying to injure him. He swings his leg into that position while kicking the ball.

Also how do you know he has no remorse? When a player is stretchered off it's customary for all players to give them space. How do you know he didn't apologise immediately or visit Haidara?

I watched the replay (video) countless times.

iba88WdAqGnp90.gif

He grazes the top of the ball, if wanted to clear it he could, but to go into a challenge with such force is beyond ridiculous.
    Even after he challenged him, he would know like any other player that the lad was in serious discomfort and subject to a serious injury. But no, he leaves him and goes on to commit a deliberate handball a few seconds later before moving away from the scene like the little coward he is.

I don't care if he apologised to Haidara or not, he would have to regardless whether he wanted to or not. A little apology does not make up for a reckless, career ending challenge.

safc now Sunday, 14th April with a noon kick-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

M5 wrote: »
    Wigan owner Dave Whelan tells @bbc5live that McManaman tackle on Haidara wasn't reckless and he took the ball "clean as a whistle."

Did he not break his leg an seriously hamper his playing career himself?!

Anyone know gow that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Putting the shocking tackle and decisions which marred yesterday's game,we need to move on and look and getting points on the board quick,next 3 games are city away with fulham and sunderland to follow. We should really be looking for 6 points here,anything from city is a bonus.

Any word on Cabaye or Krul?Badly missing both of them players,we had absolute no control in midfield yesterday,wasn't helped with Sissoko having a bad day and Tiote completely out of sorts at the minute.I'd be inclined to drop Tiote for the next game and bring in Anita provided Cabaye is fit. Also missing Krul's presence in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Not sure but it appears that an owner who's ambition is to come 17th in the premiership every year is an expert on the subject of tackling.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Before this incident he said:
    Whelan said: “Norman Deeley came right over the ball.
    "Today he would have been sent off and banned for a long time.
    "He came six inches over the ball, he came for me not the ball.
    “I snapped both bones completely. You had no pain killers then, so they just strapped me together with bandages, lifted me up and put me on the stretcher.
    Source

After the McManaman incident he said this:
    He added: “When I broke my leg in the cup final it was exactly the same type of tackle.
    “We both went for the ball. It brought back memories. It ruined my career. I am not going to criticise Norman Deeley.
    These things happen in football. He came over the ball but he didn’t do it with the aim of breaking my leg.
    Source

Clear change of tune there to suit the situation. Nothing new in football however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's no real change of tune there at all to be fair. He just said that had it happened today he'd have been banned for a long time, he didn't say he deserved it

COYVB wrote: »
    There's no real change of tune there at all to be fair. He just said that had it happened today he'd have been banned for a long time, he didn't say he deserved it

he came for me not the ball=He came over the ball but he didn’t do it with the aim of breaking my leg ???

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Sickened by that game on Sunday. The ineptitude of the referee's assistants wasn't something else. It's far too tight at the bottom for my liking. Hopefully we can get some points on the board in the next couple of games otherwise it will start to get nervy.

Taylor called up for England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Taylor called up for England

Delighted for him. Hopefully he returns in one piece.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Delighted for him. Hopefully he returns in one piece.

Here here! Cant afford more injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Putting the shocking tackle and decisions which marred yesterday's game,we need to move on and look and getting points on the board quick,next 3 games are city away with fulham and sunderland to follow. We should really be looking for 6 points here,anything from city is a bonus.

Any word on Cabaye or Krul?Badly missing both of them players,we had absolute no control in midfield yesterday,wasn't helped with Sissoko having a bad day and Tiote completely out of sorts at the minute.I'd be inclined to drop Tiote for the next game and bring in Anita provided Cabaye is fit. Also missing Krul's presence in the box.

I believe Cabaye is in full training with the French squad.

greendom wrote: »
    I believe Cabaye is in full training with the French squad.

Training but wont play

Training but wont play

Both matches ? - I thought he wasn't going to be picked to play against Georgia as he is 1 match away from suspension, but he could well play against Spain

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Both matches ? - I thought he wasn't going to be picked to play against Georgia as he is 1 match away from suspension, but he could well play against Spain

replacement called up and all as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Delighted for Saylor, he deserves it.

Have to say, the FA's decision not to take action on McManaman's tackle has wrapped up a very ****ing sorry process and last few days for Newcastle.

I'm in disbelief that the a free kick was not given, that he did not receive a yellow card, that he did not receive a red card, Whelan's comments, no official apology from the player and now the FA taking no action.

What's worse is that people seem to forget that a 21 year is in hospital with a potentially career threatening injury. I'm ****ing sickened by what's gone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

An absolute joke of a decision, but to be expected from the FA.

Have to say, the FA's decision not to take action on McManaman's tackle has wrapped up a very ****ing sorry process and last few days for Newcastle.

I'm in disbelief that the a free kick was not given, that he did not receive a yellow card, that he did not receive a red card, Whelan's comments, no official apology from the player and now the FA taking no action.

What's worse is that people seem to forget that a 21 year is in hospital with a potentially career threatening injury. I'm ****ing sickened by what's gone on.

I didn't believe it when I read this so I had to look it up. I really can't understand the decision making here. Surely at the very least it has to qualify as being out of control...

Can Newcastle appeal - for the good of the game I think they should

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21849733

Dont worry, action will be taken by the FA im sure...........

....against carver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The FA said:
    "Where one of the officials has seen a coming together of players, no retrospective action should be taken, regardless of whether he or she witnessed the full or particular nature of the challenge. This is to avoid the re-refereeing of incidents.

"In the case of McManaman, it has been confirmed that at least one of the match officials saw the coming together, though not the full extent of the challenge. In these circumstances retrospective action cannot be taken."

What a load of crap,

"This is to avoid the re-refereeing of incidents" , what the??

The FA said:

What a load of crap,

"This is to avoid the re-refereeing of incidents" , what the??

so not calling into question poor refereeing decisions is more important than player safety - ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Truely shocked the Fa are not going to punish the player, what kind of message does this send out!

Hearing the injury is not as bad as first feared and there is a good chance Haidara will play again this season

Apparently Santon was injured on international duty. Dropping like flies. Hopefully it's not too serious.

• Advertisement

Anoeta wrote: »
    Apparently Santon was injured on international duty. Dropping like flies. Hopefully it's not too serious.

As i have often said this year, no good news days this season, have never seen the like of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

FA charge John Carver but don't charge McManaman. You have to laugh don't ya?

Davide Santon Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2013 March 19th
    Massadio Haidara Injury Knee Injury 2013 March 17th
    Mathieu Debuchy Injury Hamstring Injury 2013 March 17th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2013 March 14th
    Shola Ameobi Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2013 March 7th
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury Hamstring Injury 2013 March 7th
    Papiss Cisse Injury Illness 2013 March 3rd
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury Back Injury 2013 February 24th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Illness 2013 February 24th
    Steve Harper Injury Knee Injury 2013 February 22nd
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Knee Injury 2013 February 21st
    Tim Krul Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2013 February 21st
    Cheik Tiote Injury Illness 2013 February 20th
    Sammy Ameobi Injury Hamstring Injury 2013 February 11th
    Yoan Gouffran Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2013 February 9th
    Sylvain Marveaux Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2013 January 28th
    Gabriel Obertan Injury Knock 2013 January 25th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2013 January 19th
    James Perch Injury Knee Injury 2013 January 5th
    Gael Bigirimana Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2013 January 2nd
    Papiss Cisse Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2013 January 2nd
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury Hamstring Injury 2013 January 2nd
    Danny Simpson Injury Broken Toe 2012 December 29th
    Vurnon Anita Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2012 December 26th
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury Knee Injury 2012 December 24th
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 December 10th
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury Knee Injury 2012 December 3rd
    Cheik Tiote Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 December 3rd
    Demba Ba Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 December 3rd
    Davide Santon Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2012 December 3rd
    Steven Taylor Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 November 25th
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 November 22nd
    Papiss Cisse Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2012 November 22nd
    Shola Ameobi Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2012 November 17th
    Gabriel Obertan Injury Toe Injury 2012 November 14th
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury Knee Injury 2012 November 11th
    Papiss Cisse Injury Back Injury 2012 November 11th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2012 November 11th
    Demba Ba Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 November 11th
    James Perch Injury Thigh Muscle Strain 2012 November 4th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 November 4th
    Demba Ba Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 November 4th
    Sammy Ameobi Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 November 4th
    Demba Ba Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 October 28th
    Danny Simpson Injury Shoulder Injury 2012 October 28th
    Shane Ferguson Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2012 October 10th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Abdominal Pains 2012 October 9th
    Dan Gosling Injury Knee Injury 2012 October 8th
    Haris Vučkić Injury ACL Knee Injury 2012 October 8th
    Rob Elliott Injury Groin/Pelvis Injury 2012 October 4th
    Steven Taylor Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 September 29th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury Mouth Infection 2012 September 28th
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury Hip/Thigh Injury 2012 September 27th
    Papiss Cisse Injury Illness 2012 September 18th
    Tim Krul Injury Arm/Elbow Injury 2012 September 9th
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 September 5th
    Danny Simpson Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 September 2nd
    Haris Vučkić Injury Groin Strain 2012 August 31st
    Ryan Taylor Injury ACL Knee Injury 2012 August 30th
    James Perch Injury Neck Injury 2012 August 30th
    Demba Ba Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 August 18th
    Cheik Tiote Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 August 18th
    Shola Ameobi Injury Hamstring Injury 2012 August 18th
    Shane Ferguson Injury Gilmores Groin 2012 August 17th
    Cheik Tiote Injury Calf/Shin Injury 2012 August 11th
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury Thigh Muscle Strain 2012 August 11th

Good god that is ridiculous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

When you see it like that....holy balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I remember a good while ago (like, last days of Souness) that the extraordinary volume of injuries you guys were getting was being blamed on the training facilities. Have they had a major renovation since? because that list is unbelievable.

geeky wrote: »
    I remember a good while ago (like, last days of Souness) that the extraordinary volume of injuries you guys were getting was being blamed on the training facilities. Have they had a major renovation since? because that list is unbelievable.

It has never really been under control as such. Last year we were widly regarded as being "lucky with injuries" but in fact finished 2nd in the injury list for that season. The only season i remember where injuries were less than you would expect was the season in the championship. Hard to call whats causing it. Several managers, new training facilities, several surface changes to the training pitch and SJP along with medical team changes and personnel changes fail to stop the injuries rolling in

Really puts things into perspective.

And we still have at least 10 more competitive games left. Hate to see what it looks like at the end of the season.

Positive news on Haidara :)

Steve Harper to leave at the end of the season. Wont be offered a new deal.

End of an era, Steve has been at the club since 93

• Advertisement

Haidara out for 3 weeks, no major damage caused by Mcmanaman

He's a lucky, lucky boy.

Great to hear though.

Steve Harper to leave at the end of the season. Wont be offered a new deal.

End of an era, Steve has been at the club since 93

I wonder will he hang up the gloves or move on. Great servant to the club.

Super news

Anoeta wrote: »
    I wonder will he hang up the gloves or move on. Great servant to the club.

He's moving on. I'd imagine a return as a coach would be on the cards once he retires

Loyal servant sure but he should have moved on sooner. Would have certainly been capable of being a regular #1 for a lot of clubs.

He's moving on. I'd imagine a return as a coach would be on the cards once he retires

To judge by Joey Barton's comments a few months back, I don't think that'll be offered with the current crowd. He was one of the senior players urging people not to sign a changed bonus deal, and AFAIK he's the last of them to be booted out.

geeky wrote: »
    To judge by Joey Barton's comments a few months back, I don't think that'll be offered with the current crowd. He was one of the senior players urging people not to sign a changed bonus deal, and AFAIK he's the last of them to be booted out.

Yeah, he certainly was. Think thats been patched up though

Yeah, he certainly was. Think thats been patched up though

Ah good. Wouldn't be a Newcastle fan but always liked that the club had a good relationship with its long-term ex-players.

• Advertisement

Oh M5, those derby tickets are on sale next Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement