Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That_Guy wrote: »
    Where's the Sunderland fans these days? :pac:

I wonder.
    It's unlike Paully_D not to be buzzing around these forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Doocey wrote: »
    121532490.jpg

Does STaylor get the final touch? :pac:

Looks like Mignolet headed/spat the ball towards goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Gollowgate end booked for this sunday!hopefully we can beat fulham easily enough,we always seem to do poorly at home against them!

Looks like the left back and striker transfer problem will be around until the end of the window,Newcastle refusing to pay over 4.3 million for Pieters and people call Arsene Wenger stubborn!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Gollowgate end booked for this sunday!hopefully we can beat fulham easily enough,we always seem to do poorly at home against them!

Looks like the left back and striker transfer problem will be around until the end of the window,Newcastle refusing to pay over 4.3 million for Pieters and people call Arsene Wenger stubborn!!

Was sat in the Gallowgate myself for the Arsenal game. Great atmosphere there. Was hoping to head over for it myself but prior engagements meant I couldn't. :(

Heading over for the Blackburn game though. :) Fúcking love that city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Where's the Sunderland fans these days? :pac:

Was thinking the same myself! Didn't think it would affect them that bad! Although I was there cheering on sunderland with the gf and I was downright depressed, so can only imagine how the fans on here are feeling!

Was sat in the Gallowgate myself for the Arsenal game. Great atmosphere there. Was hoping to head over for it myself but prior engagements meant I couldn't. :(

Heading over for the Blackburn game though. :) Fúcking love that city.

Aye nothing like a pint in the strawberry and shearers bar before either!Were you disappointed with the scoreless draw at the arsenal game?I went to see sam allardyce's first home game when newcastle played villa back in 2007,scoreless draw and a contender for one of the worst games I've ever seen!

Aye nothing like a pint in the strawberry and shearers bar before either!Were you disappointed with the scoreless draw at the arsenal game?I went to see sam allardyce's first home game when newcastle played villa back in 2007,scoreless draw and a contender for one of the worst games I've ever seen!

I'd have taken the draw beforehand. Game itself was dead boring mind. Was only in Shearers before and after. Didn't try the Strawberry but looks decent. Shearer's was a bit of a laugh with the Soccer Saturday on but half the TV's in there are fúcked and can't see the screen properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Strawberry is a great place for pre match drinks. The roof terrace is brilliant especially when the weather is good! Great atmosphere.

I saw it alright. It was quite a nice day that afternoon. Was gonna head in but just didn't in the end. Will definitely head in next time.

• Advertisement

The days when David Rozehnal was at the heart of the defence?!
    Remember that terrible game well!

I'd have taken the draw beforehand. Game itself was dead boring mind. Was only in Shearers before and after. Didn't try the Strawberry but looks decent. Shearer's was a bit of a laugh with the Soccer Saturday on but half the TV's in there are fúcked and can't see the screen properly.

Shearers is definitely the choice an hour before kick off because at least there's space to breathe and go to the bar,in the strawberry its survival of the fittest to get to the bar,great crack all the same!

Doocey wrote: »
    The days when David Rozehnal was at the heart of the defence?!
    Remember that terrible game well!

Funny enough,he was the only player to pull a save from the villa keeper that day!!

Good stat for ye lads.

We're the only team in English league football not to concede a goal. ;)

Barton given permission to open talks with QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Good stat for ye lads.

We're the only team in English league football not to concede a goal. ;)
    Barton given permission to open talks with QPR.

No such thing as a a good news day at NUFC is there?

What a fupping joke

• Advertisement

If Joey does move, it'll be very hard to replace his traits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

If Joey does move, it'll be very hard to replace his traits.
    Replacement for what exactly?

A ) fighting?

B ) getting booked?

C ) taking dead balls that don't clear the first man?

NufcNavan wrote: »

A ) fighting?

B ) getting booked?

Ah FFS lad.

A) - Yeah, cos he does that on a regular basis. Pedersen last year and Gervinho on the opening day were very silly incidents that he shouldn't have gotten involved in. Apart from that, there's not a lot of these incidents.

B) - Yes, because Joey is the only ever player to get a booking ever. :rolleyes:

C) - His delivery is more often hit than miss.

You're talking shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

A ) fighting?

B ) getting booked?

Would you prefer Barton to walk now for nothing or walk in May!!?

Barton's determination when on the pitch is something to be admired as well and if that can translate to the younger players like Cabeye/Obertan/Marveaux/Gosling then along with Tiote/Colocini/Taylor we could be in decent stead for the future when Barton leaves.

Joey is a smart player when it comes to bending the laws of the game, i'm sure we all want football to be honest but the reality is quite different. Every team needs a Barton, this i feel is where Arsenal fall down. Barton knows if someone raises an arm at him that by the letter of the law it is a sending off. Picking up a player by the sruff of the neck is not..He knows how to work the ref's in his favour as well..

Also if your talking about getting yellow cards, what about Tiote FFS!!!!!!

gav86 wrote: »

Barton's determination when on the pitch is something to be admired as well and if that can translate to the younger players like Cabeye/Obertan/Marveaux/Gosling then along with Tiote/Colocini/Taylor we could be in decent stead for the future when Barton leaves.

Joey is a smart player when it comes to bending the laws of the game, i'm sure we all want football to be honest but the reality is quite different. Every team needs a Barton, this i feel is where Arsenal fall down. Barton knows if someone raises an arm at him that by the letter of the law it is a sending off. Picking up a player by the sruff of the neck is not..He knows how to work the ref's in his favour as well..

If he moves to QPR it will be one a free transfer!
    He's still transfer listed for free, and please say you guys aren't surprised that one club has finally had the courage to talk to him?

It comes as no surprise to me whatsoever - and I won't be too baffled to see him complete the move later this week tbh!

• Advertisement

Ah FFS lad.

A) - Yeah, cos he does that on a regular basis. Pedersen last year and Gervinho on the opening day were very silly incidents that he shouldn't have gotten involved in. Apart from that, there's not a lot of these incidents.

B) - Yes, because Joey is the only ever player to get a booking ever. :rolleyes:

C) - His delivery is more often hit than miss.

You're talking shíte.
    Joey will not be missed as much as Enrique or Nolan.

I'd argue you've got the short memory, how about assessing Barton over the 4 seasons he's been here, not one?

The only ones who want to mark this sale as a disaster are - and should only be - the poisoned pen journos. The fans should not be interested in @jbarton07 (or whatever the feck his tw@tter name is) staying at the club. He was poor against Arsenal, really poor - I don't expect him to cut them apart, but ONE decent set piece isn't too much to ask, is it? Sunderland not much better.

As a character and as a footballer, we have better at the club. Obertan is a natural right winger, Gosling a more all-round player. Again, I loathe the board for managing to make him worth f*ck all (that's just stupid), but he won't be missed. It'll be a bit of a relief him not being around.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, just trying to counteract the opinion that his departure is catastrophic for the club. It is not..

gav86 wrote: »

No, every team does not "need a Barton". If that was the case, a lot higher calibre of clubs would be interested in his signature than QPR..

Tiote's role on the pitch is much different to Joey's. His job is to break up play and try to retain and keep posession. He is much more liable to pick up yellow cards doing this although I agree that he needs to cut down on the yellow cards this season..

I'd argue you've got the short memory, how about assessing Barton over the 4 seasons he's been here, not one?

Barton didn't have the best time with us when he first joined due to injury and off field matters but he has come on leaps and bounds in the last two seasons and still has a lot to offer us provided he doesn't leave for QPR.
    The only ones who want to mark this sale as a disaster are - and should only be - the poisoned pen journos. The fans should not be interested in @jbarton07 (or whatever the feck his tw@tter name is) staying at the club.

So getting rid of the spine of the team that got us promoted and kept us up last season is acceptable is it? Come off it. We've brought players in but if you don't have the spine of the team that has experience in this league holding them up then it's a massive gamble.
    He was poor against Arsenal, really poor - I don't expect him to cut them apart, but ONE decent set piece isn't too much to ask, is it? Sunderland not much better.

Eh, the overall performance from an attacking point of view was shít. Ryan Taylor and Cabaye both had a go at set pieces and were shít or are you forgetting about them?

As per the Sunderland game, he only took two corners AFAIK and Cabaye/Ryan Taylor took the rest.
    As a character and as a footballer, we have better at the club.

Like who? Nolan and Barton were our most important characters by far.
    Obertan is a natural right winger, Gosling a more all-round player. Again, I loathe the board for managing to make him worth f*ck all (that's just stupid), but he won't be missed. It'll be a bit of a relief him not being around.

If you think Joey won't be missed then you're deluded.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player, just trying to counteract the opinion that his departure is catastrophic for the club. It is not..

The spine is being ripped out of the club and you think it's fine? Laughable mate. Absolutely laughable. The chances of getting a replacement in are zilch.

We've a thinner squad this year compared to this time last year.

Barton didn't have the best time with us when he first joined due to injury and off field matters but he has come on leaps and bounds in the last two seasons and still has a lot to offer us provided he doesn't leave for QPR.
    In his first two seasons he struggled to pass accurately any further than 10 yards, although he has improved of course.

So getting rid of the spine of the team that got us promoted and kept us up last season is acceptable is it? Come off it. We've brought players in but if you don't have the spine of the team that has experience in this league holding them up then it's a massive gamble.
    A lot of the 'spine' is already gone, and we'll miss Enrique and Nolan a lot more than we'll miss Joey.

Eh, the overall performance from an attacking point of view was shít. Ryan Taylor and Cabaye both had a go at set pieces and were shít or are you forgetting about them?
    True but Barton in particular was awful.

Like who? Nolan and Barton were our most important characters by far.
    Nolan is now gone, and Barton knows that he will struggle in this team this year, hence why he stirred sh*te on twitter a few weeks ago and allowed himself to leave on a free. Better to jump ship now rather than have a poor season under your belt.

If you think Joey won't be missed then you're deluded.
    Time will tell. As hinted I was a lot more gutted about losing Nolan and Enrique.

The spine is being ripped out of the club and you think it's fine? Laughable mate. Absolutely laughable. The chances of getting a replacement in are zilch.
    Why put words in my mouth? I never said that. To be honest I would rather he stayed BUT him leaving is not a disaster. Knowing our transfer policy, he probably won't be replaced, but the right side of midfield is not an area of concern for us. We need a left back, a striker and possibly another right back well before we need another right sided midfielder.

I think people need to get a grip here. I'm still hopeful of one or two more signings being added to the squad (LB and striker), we've made a solid start and Barton, while being a good but not a very good player, will not make or break this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Only seeing this news story now and I am devastated. Really surprised that Joey is not staying for the year considering his comments about playing in the black and white shirt. He is getting his game at BooHoocastle and can leave on a free next summer. If he loves the fans so much then I am surprised by this move but then again its all about the money, money, money........

I think people need to get a grip here. I'm still hopeful of one or two more signings being added to the squad (LB and striker), we've made a solid start and Barton, while being a good but not a very good player, will not make or break this season.

Surprised at your comments NufcNavan, IMHO I think that Barton is a vital piece in our jigsaw not particularly from his performances on the pitch but the character in the dressing room. I believe all top premiership teams need to have a good English character in the dressing room to be successful.
    Man Utd have Rooney and Ferdinand, Chelsea Have Terry, Lampard, Arsenal have Zilch, Liverpool have Gerrard and Carragher, Spurs have Dawson, King. I know the players I mentioned are quality but I think its the desire of these English core players that drives the team on. By losing both Nolan and Barton we are losing that driving force. I do not think anyone left has it, possibly Steven Taylor in time but not at the moment. Maybe I am just talking Sh1te but Barton imo will be an irreplaceable player and we do not have cover at right midfield unless Ryan Taylor can play both left back and right midfield.

bazual wrote: »
    Surprised at your comments NufcNavan, IMHO I think that Barton is a vital piece in our jigsaw not particularly from his performances on the pitch but the character in the dressing room. I believe all top premiership teams need to have a good English character in the dressing room to be successful.
    Man Utd have Rooney and Ferdinand, Chelsea Have Terry, Lampard, Arsenal have Zilch, Liverpool have Gerrard and Carragher, Spurs have Dawson, King. I know the players I mentioned are quality but I think its the desire of these English core players that drives the team on. By losing both Nolan and Barton we are losing that driving force. I do not think anyone left has it, possibly Steven Taylor in time but not at the moment. Maybe I am just talking Sh1te but Barton imo will be an irreplaceable player and we do not have cover at right midfield unless Ryan Taylor can play both left back and right midfield.
    I see your point and I do realise that Barton is an influential player. I've already said that I'd rather see him stay.

But let's face it, this move has been on the cards all Summer, and I was more surprised with Nolan moving than anything else.

While being a good player and passionate for the team, Barton carries a lot of baggage and in the long run the club has seen that he is probably not worth having the circus that he has created around him. Barton always plays the victum which pisses me off tbh.

bazual wrote: »
    I see your point and I do realise that Barton is an influential player. I've already said that I'd rather see him stay.

But let's face it, this move has been on the cards all Summer, and I was more surprised with Nolan moving than anything else.

While being a good player and passionate for the team, Barton carries a lot of baggage and in the long run the club has seen that he is probably not worth having the circus that he has created around him. Barton always plays the victum which pisses me off tbh.

True alright in the long run we are better off without him but would like to see his replacement join the team while he is at the club fighting alongside him for his place. Wait and see though last day of transfer window will come and panic stations, we will end up with wayne bridge and fuppin carlton cole and swp on loan.

£80,000 week deal agreed with Barton supposedly - astonishing stuff.
    For some reason; I ain't too down about him leaving. Was always a matter of time I suppose.

Hearing that NUFC have lined up a replacement in Nolan Roux who plays in France. Supposedly an 8 million release clause to be activated

• Advertisement

Roux is a forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Newcastle scouts must have made it no further than France last year.:)

M5 wrote: »
    Hearing that NUFC have lined up a replacement in Nolan Roux who plays in France. Supposedly an 8 million release clause to be activated

He's actually supposed to be quite good. I think this bid is only going to be made if the Maiga deal falls through which is quite likely. Liverpool are or were looking at him also.

According to Lee Ryder (taking this with a pinch of salt though) the Pieters deal is still on.

More here on Pieters.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_7123486,00.html

Hopefully something gets done soon or we're gonna get the usual:

"We tried our best"

A.K.A

"We bid about 3 million before the asking price and hoped for the best"

M5 wrote: »
    Sauce?

Steve Harper hasn't travelled tonight due to a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Any other team news for tonight? likely first 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Joey Barton still hasn't made decision after medical. Just seen interview on Sky

Im actually hoping we get beat here - with our skeleton squad a run in the cup isnt really great. This might even make AP realise we arent as good as what we ve achieved so far in the first 2 games. Hopefully fat mike will spend some cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sammi Ameobi scores! That's a real quality goal that.

Great game though, really end to end stuff!

So.... great game tonight and what have we learned???

For me anyway it looks like we have acquired another Wayne Routledge in the form of Sylvain Marveaux, the only difference is they play on the opposite wings and TBH Routledge was better.

Demba Ba was pretty shocking tonight and I am not sure where he was playing tbh, up front, behind best, on the left, I really didnt know.

Again Simpson was showed up to be a poor right back and how he expects to get into the England squad is beyond me. He needs a challenge in that position.

The commentary mentioned that when Ameobi and Vuckic came on it changed the game, that is true but I think it was changed before that. When S Taylor came on for the injured Williamson he brought a bit of passion with him and that run he made that got the yellow card is something that Barton would have done to ruffle things up a bit. I was impressed with Taylor tonight I must admit.

Krul was immense and has nailed the number 1 spot, the only issues he has is that he has no right foot and anyone putting him under pressure on his right foot will be a disaster.

Ryan Taylor was ok but lets face it he is not a left back, you could even see in the clearances he was making he was turning towards goal etc. He has a fantastic right peg and would be great to bring on to take a free kick but thats all he really adds to the team.

The regulars did their usual workmanlike performance Lovenkrands, Best, Colo, Cabaye but nothing spectacular.

I was a bit disappointed in Gosling tonight considering the savage pre-season he had, he never really got into the game.

As for Vuckic and Ameobi, I was very impressed with both, great touches, great pace and what a finish from Sammy.

All in all it was extra time we did not need and may pay for it against Fulham in Sunday. The only good thing is Fulham played a pretty much full strength team with Riise injured and looks likely to be out for the game Sunday.

FULHAM (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, J.A. Riise (Briggs 21), Hughes, Hangeland; Sidwell, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey (Etuhu 80); Dembele (Kasami 71); Johnson. Subs (not used): Etheridge, Kelly, Senderos, Gecov.

Sammy, Vuckic and Marveaux looked incredible tonight. The rest? Pfft. Didn't look interested apart from maybe Leon Best.

Overall we were fúcking awful. Simpson at RB... Jesus, he was dodgy tonight.
    Colo was Colo. Couldn't fault him. Likewise for S Taylor when he came on.

Ryan Taylor at left back is very dodgy. I know he's out of position but he doesn't look comfortable there at all.

Gosling didn't look up to much tonight and needs to work that bit harder if he hopes to be a regular starter.

Cabaye looked ok. Picked out some nice balls but went missing for most of the second half.

Ba was utter shít. Could prove to be an absolute donkey of a signing.

Marveaux looked really good tonight and can only get better. His crossing was quite poor at times though but he never stopped working.

Vuckic and Sammy are total class though. Sammy's footwork is excellent and Vuckic's composure and movement is just sublime. Hard to think that he's only 18. Should be featuring in the Premier League soon I'd say.

We looked all over the place at the back and only in the second half did we put attacks together.

It's lucky we've got Ryan Taylor for free kicks because I have no idea where our goals are going to come from.

Best and a pacy striker latching onto knocked down balls could work really well together. Best won nearly every ball up to him tonight. If he can knock it down for an oncoming striker, we'll be laughing.

Really awful performance overall and just shows that we can't deal with teams putting pressure on us.

If Pardew thinks we can get away with going through the season with this squad, then we're in real danger.

A striker, a left back, a right back and two centre backs is what we need.

What we'll probably get is sod all. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Regarding Krul.... the chap is immense and has certainly earned the number 1 jersey methinks. Made some amazing saves.

Vuckic's composure and movement is just sublime. Hard to think that he's only 18.

That's because he isn't... :pac:

G.K. wrote: »
    That's because he isn't... :pac:

Is he not? Commentator said he was?

But Sky never get anything wrong.

:pac:

I'd like to see him in the first team this year myself. And Sammy to hopefully replace Ba who looks like an absolute farce of a signing.

Sauce?

L'equipe, followed by the chronicle and the Journo.....

• Advertisement

Thought Best was utter muck - tries his heart out but has no quality. needs heaps of chances for a goal.

Wasnt impressed by Marveaux at all, agree with bazaul that he looks (at this stage anyway) no more than ordinary.

Danny Simpson is gradually getting worse, seems to have lost some pace too.

Ba - well what can you say? Looks a total dud but maybe he just hasnt found his way yet.

On the other hand Sammy and Vuckic looked brilliant and are real players for the future. Hope to see them in teh first team shortly as we need width with the game we play.

I thought Gosling looked promising enough. He was in and out of the game but definitely potential for more and a few goals from him.

Anyway as i said not sure its a great idea going on a cup run esp when you see tackles like that on Ryan Taylor. Playing extra time wont have helped the cause for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Thought Best was utter muck - tries his heart out but has no quality. needs heaps of chances for a goal.

Wasnt impressed by Marveaux at all, agree with bazaul that he looks (at this stage anyway) no more than ordinary.

Danny Simpson is gradually getting worse, seems to have lost some pace too.

Ba - well what can you say? Looks a total dud but maybe he just hasnt found his way yet.

On the other hand Sammy and Vuckic looked brilliant and are real players for the future. Hope to see them in teh first team shortly as we need width with the game we play.

I thought Gosling looked promising enough. He was in and out of the game but definitely potential for more and a few goals from him.

Anyway as i said not sure its a great idea going on a cup run esp when you see tackles like that on Ryan Taylor. Playing extra time wont have helped the cause for Sunday

Couldnt agree more with that. Marveaux looked pretty pants against a league 1 team. R Taylor isnt a natural left back and Marveaux made no attempt to help out there. Simpson, as per gave 100%, just like Best but they are both Championship level (at best).

What really got under my skint lastnight was playing a strong team again. He did it against Stevenage last year and look what happened. Im still p*ssed off that he played that team. Fair enough concentrating on the cups but Vuckic and Sammy were well capable of Scunny and should have been started.

@nufcfans via Twitter:
    Fee in the region of £6.8m agreed for #PSV left-back Erik Pieters, player expected on Tyneside for medical later today.

@nufcfans via Twitter:

Excellent, probably wont make Sunday but a quality player from what I have seen. Hopefully its true.

As for Marveaux, I keep reading about how everyone thinks he is an excellent player etc. Was I watching the same match last night? I really think he looks very similar to Routledge when he first came on the scene at Palace and we all know where he ended up? Seriously, what did i miss last night, we played against Scunthorpe and he didn't look like he could skin anyone compared to Sammy.

If Pieters signs by 5pm today, he'll be eligible for Sunday.

If he does, I'd stick Ryan Taylor at RB because Simpson was awful last night to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement