Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

TaosHum wrote: »
    Big night for Wigan (and all those around them). I can see them pulling it off though, which would see us drop into the relegation zone.
    Against his old club too. He signed and played with some of the Swansea squad so I really can't see them busting a gut to send their old pal down. Worrying but all we can do is concentrate on our own games. Hopefully some of the Wigan boys have one eye on Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

We are surely due a break? Our results and those around us have been awful recently! A point gained was actually 2 dropped last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

M5 wrote: »
    We are surely due a break? Our results and those around us have been awful recently! A point gained was actually 2 dropped last week

I'm naively thinking that too. I expect us to be in the relegation zone in the morning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I expect us to be in the relegation zone at the end.

We're done lads.

I have no confidence in this manager to get us out of this mess.

Remy will score past us on Saturday, its virtually guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I expect us to be in the relegation zone at the end.

We're done lads.

I have no confidence in this manager to get us out of this mess.

Remy will score past us on Saturday, its virtually guaranteed.

And I thought I was pessimistic :eek:

The only thing I'm clinging onto at the moment is the unpredictability of a relegation scrap. Considering how many teams are involved also makes it that bit more tense.

I've no faith in Pardew either, but like M5 I'm hoping for something to go our way. I'm also holding out for a moment of class from Ben Arfa/Cisse or madness from either QPR or Arsenal.

And I thought I was pessimistic :eek:

The only thing I'm clinging onto at the moment is the unpredictability of a relegation scrap. Considering how many teams are involved also makes it that bit more tense.

I've no faith in Pardew either, but like M5 I'm hoping for something to go our way. I'm also holding out for a moment of class from Ben Arfa/Cisse or madness from either QPR or Arsenal.

It's not really pessimism.

The performances this season are some of the worst i've seen in 19 years supporting this club. Everybit as inept as the displays under Gullit, Souness, Roeder, Fat Sam and Kinnear. Relegation is what we deserve.

It's not really pessimism.

The performances this season are some of the worst i've seen in 19 years supporting this club. Everybit as inept as the displays under Gullit, Souness, Roeder, Fat Sam and Kinnear. Relegation is what we deserve.

No arguments there.

What I'm truly dreading is if we stay up, Ashely will give Pardew another chance.

I think he's gone and he knows it tbh. His position is completely untenable.

was thinking exactly the same, even with the 20 years of coming just short every time, **** managers, **** players, barmy owners, this season takes the biscuit. A squad of quality players managed by a complete bafoon, which may well lead to relegation

As with the last relegation it looks like the manager has lost the dressing room and players are looking at their relegation clauses (they are there, Ashley insisted on them after the last time)

This is the 5th year of Ashleys tenure, we look likely to mark the occasion in suitably dismal fashion (relegated or not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

You know what lads, I had another look at the fixture list of most teams today and if Lukaku and his mates are on form against Norwich, they could grab a win, which means Norwich would have to head to Man City looking for a win to stay up.

Steve Clarke wants to finish the season in style, Lukaku wants to bow out in style, and they players will want to avenge the three goals they conceded against Wigan at the week. I think they'll go there to win, and I really really really hope so.

If Norwich lose their remaining two games and we snatch even a draw at QPR - then we're safe. This is actually the most probable way we'll stay in the league to be honest lads.

Another possibility - Sunderland play Southampton next. Southampton not entirely out of the mess yet and will want to make sure of it. A good attacking side that will press and press before regaining possessing and passing it about. I watched them away at Spurs and I was impressed - they've certainly got the ability to score a couple at Sunderland.
    Speaking of Spurs, that's where SAFC go to on the last day; up against a Tottenham side full of attacking talent, and more than likely still battling it out for that fourth spot on the final day. Again if we draw with QPR, and then lose to Arsenal (maybe a draw!!) then we're safe.

All in all I think Wigan will stay up. I think Sunderland will likely stay up, all depends on what Southampton turns up next week. Finally, I think its between us and Norwich to be honest.

Pardew vs. Hughton — please take one for the team Chris :v

Keep the faith lads, its not over until the fat lady sings, and with Ben Arfa in the side, he can spring one magic through ball/ one scorcher from distance away at QPR that could keep us int he league. We can do it.!

Ah the wide eyed optimism of youth.

Where has that gone from my life? :(

Well thats that. See you in Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I'll say it again ...

Thanks Mr Pardew ... now please F*ck Off!!

How can some-one with a squad of players like ours not steer the team to safety?! the least you would expect from our squad is mid-table mediocrity, not where we are now.

'Players not showing fight' ... I read ... 'players disheartened with management, tactics, being played out of position, ...'

All far too predictable....

Even with that I fully expect Wigan to get a win here

• Advertisement

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

o my can i dare to hope

LOL

Strongly advise against counting chickens

Im not a praying man, but if you're out there superman, please please please more swansea goals!!!

This for example could be a huge issue

• Advertisement

Strongly advise against counting chickens

I'm not. Just a welcome relief to see a comedy goal and its not us conceding it.

A result at last!

Get in!!! 3-2 to Swansea!! Keep the faith boys, keep the faith!!!

What a lifeline. A point may well be enough now seeing Wigan face Arsenal.

I want Landrups babies now. All that was missing was a Routledge goal. :D

Just rolled up my praying mat, quenched the candles, tucked the rosary beads in the cuttlery drawer, ...

Now to keep Taarabt and Remy quite :eek:

Oh and sack Pardew as soon as the final wistle blows on the arsenal game ... dont even let him do the post match interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Pardew will probably set up for a draw at Loftus Road now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

We're favourites to win match on Betfair at the moment!!!! hopefully Big Mike has given 'Arry a bung and they're both laying QPR.

I still think we need to win @QPR, Wigan, as rubbish as they are,could get a result against arsenal.

Wigan tend to do better against teams that play football rather than hoofball ...

Ideal situation for us is as simple as a QPR win and a Villa loss. We would be mathematically safe then on account of both playing each other on the final day

Ideal situation for us is as simple as a QPR win and a Villa loss. We would be mathematically safe then on account of both playing each other on the final day

The relief would be palpable if this were to happen. I've a feeling there will be plenty more twists and turns though. Hopefully we can look after ourselves by nabbing the 3 points at QPR. It was about time somthing went our way last night. I'm sick of hearing Martinez go on about how unlucky Wigan have been. Give me a break mate!!

• Advertisement

Just watch his attitude change. Since the West Ham he has talked about the QPR game as being a must win. But now it will be if we can just get a result and his approach will be different. Expect a similar type of performance to that of West Ham. Less confidence we can go there and win now.

I'm as happy as any other Newcastle fan at the result last night. But its a shocking indictment of where this club is that we need other clubs to get us further from trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

The sense of relief at watching Swansea win will be the same as getting 3 points at the weekend for us. They have to turn up for this match, surely they realise this unless some of the players are looking to move on.
    But do we look beyond Pardew after the season?

NJust looking at some of the odd's of who will be Newcastle's next manager, some interesting names in there. Would people be happy with Rafa?

Rafa Benitez - 4/1
    Roberto Di Matteo - 6/1
    Gus Poyet - 10/1
    Roberto Martinez - 16/1
    Laurent Blanc - 20/1
    Harry Redknapp - 22/1
    David Moyes - 22/1
    Slaven Bilic - 33/1
    Marcelo Bielsa - 33/1
    Frank Rijkaard - 33/1
    Guus Hiddink - 33/1
    Guy Lacombe - 33/1
    Chris Hughton - 33/1
    Jurgen Klopp - 33/1
    Jacques Santini - 33/1
    Jean Tigana - 33/1
    Roy Keane - 33/1
    Alan Curbishley - 33/1
    Steve Clarke - 33/1
    Gianfranco Zola - 33/1
    Luis Enrique - 33/1
    Steve McClaren - 40/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann - 40/1
    Fabio Capello - 40/1
    Dougie Freedman - 40/1
    Nigel Pearson - 40/1
    Alan Shearer - 40/1
    Craig Levein - 40/1
    Mark Hughes - 40/1
    Martin O'Neill - 40/1
    Bert Van Marwijk - 40/1
    Glenn Hoddle - 40/1
    Ralf Rangnick - 40/1
    Walter Smith - 50/1
    Graeme Souness - 50/1
    Kevin Keegan - 66/1

Please not Rafa. He's turning into the spaninsh equivalent of Sven......
    Blanc could be good given that we've a french squad there though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

NJust looking at some of the odd's of who will be Newcastle's next manager, some interesting names in there. Would people be happy with Rafa?

Rafa Benitez - 4/1
    Roberto Di Matteo - 6/1
    Gus Poyet - 10/1
    Roberto Martinez - 16/1
    Laurent Blanc - 20/1
    Harry Redknapp - 22/1
    David Moyes - 22/1
    Slaven Bilic - 33/1
    Marcelo Bielsa - 33/1
    Frank Rijkaard - 33/1
    Guus Hiddink - 33/1
    Guy Lacombe - 33/1
    Chris Hughton - 33/1
    Jurgen Klopp - 33/1
    Jacques Santini - 33/1
    Jean Tigana - 33/1
    Roy Keane - 33/1
    Alan Curbishley - 33/1
    Steve Clarke - 33/1
    Gianfranco Zola - 33/1
    Luis Enrique - 33/1
    Steve McClaren - 40/1
    Jurgen Klinsmann - 40/1
    Fabio Capello - 40/1
    Dougie Freedman - 40/1
    Nigel Pearson - 40/1
    Alan Shearer - 40/1
    Craig Levein - 40/1
    Mark Hughes - 40/1
    Martin O'Neill - 40/1
    Bert Van Marwijk - 40/1
    Glenn Hoddle - 40/1
    Ralf Rangnick - 40/1
    Walter Smith - 50/1
    Graeme Souness - 50/1
    Kevin Keegan - 66/1

Out of the top five, Martinez would be the only one I'd be happy with. I can imagine his odds shortening if Wigan get relegated. Hopefully he would bring James McCarthy with him.

His win % at wigan since 2009 is worse than Pardew's. Not sure why'd you'd want him, he's barely kept wigan up and i'd rather be up the other end of the table, with or without James MCCarthy.

PauloConn wrote: »
    His win % at wigan since 2009 is worse than Pardew's. Not sure why'd you'd want him, he's barely kept wigan up and i'd rather be up the other end of the table, with or without James MCCarthy.

In his defence, the resources he has to work with at Wigan have been quite meager, Champiionship level IMO. So having been able to keep them in the Premiership and lead them to an FA Cup final is quite an achievement. When you consider the squads of both Newcastle and Wigan, you'd think there would be more than 3 points between the 2 clubs with two games remaining.

His transfers have been quite poor, but he wouldn't be in control of that aspect at Newcastle. Considering he also plays a good brand of football, you'd think his style would suit the players at Newcastle well.

He's a risk and I don't get all the hype around him either, but I think he would suit what Newcastle are trying to do as a club.

I know what you mean Taos but i feel it would be as much a risk as leaving Pardew in charge. He could be one for the future and he does play a good style of football which would suit the current team but if we stay up this season i'd like to be sure we don't end up at this end of the table again..... its not a good place at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

PauloConn wrote: »

Comparing his win % to Pardews is ridiculous. He has managed to keep a club like Wigan with little to no resources in the premier league for the last few seasons. Pardew spent 17m in January. Also they have an FA cup final to look forward to in a few days. How did Pardew get on in the domestic cups with us this year?

They play an attractive style of football too, passing, movement, intelligence. Exactly the type of style we need to get the most out of a technically strong squad as opposed to having a style of play that mirrors Stoke.

He's more affable than Pardew too & I like that in a manager. I feel he would be able to get on better with the players & attract more as well. Even aside from that I think he would represent our club in a better fashion than that idiot pushing referees & rubbing it in other managers faces when we score so ya I think Martinez would be an excellent choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

its bilic or keegan for entertainment value myself but that wont happen with asley in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle supporters turning their noses up at Benitez is amusing. I think you'll get Poyet myself but if you can get Rafa you should, you certainly won't go down or be clueless in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mike65 wrote: »
    Newcastle supporters turning their noses up at Benitez is amusing. I think you'll get Poyet myself but if you can get Rafa you should, you certainly won't go down or be clueless in defence.

I know they would be blessed if they could get a manager of his calibre in. And ye should go all out to get him. Big club and fan base I think it would be great but I couldn't see him getting on with Ashley and Lambias.

I'd have Rafa. Definitely.

Di Matteo or Poyet(how ironic would that be?) would do fine too imo.

Pardew has no place at our club after this season.

More I think about Martinez the more I actually like the idea of him becoming Newcastle's next manager. I'd personally like the club to lean towards someone like Martinez or Poyet instead of Rafa (although I could live with his appointment).

Another name that may figure that's not on that list is Ole Gunnar Solskjær.

I would welcome Benitez with open arms but I think it's fantasy land to be honest. Can't see him taking it on and can't see Ashley shelling out for a big name manager. Pardew is on a reported £1.5 Million a year. Equivalent to what Benitez is taking in Monthly for his time at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

I know this is from the Mail, but I seriously hope this aint true.
    Alan Pardew, manager of a Newcastle team fighting to avoid relegation, is in the fortunate position of having a contract that runs until 2020 without a break clause or maximum severance agreement.
    It means owner Mike Ashley, who awarded Pardew his eight-year deal last September before Newcastle’s form imploded, would have to buy out his £1.5million-a-year wages in full if he parts company with the 51-year-old

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2320978/Mike-Ashley-pay-Alan-Pardew-10m-sacks-Newcastle-manager-year-deal-Charles-Sale.html

No way in hell that it will be a high profile manager folks, not club policy!

First of all the incoming manager will be asked to sign a highly incentivised contract with get out clauses all over the shop. Also i assume it would be a similar deal to what pardew has now, ie rolling contract for X years. No high profile manager will work under those terms especially given the clubs transfer policy!

Goes against everything we know about Ashley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Would very much take Benitez, but would give Martinez a shot too, see what he can do.

Then again if Moyes is off to Everton then that's that.

If we stay up, Pardew will likely be given another half a season out of courtesy.

First things first lads, we need to beat QPR on Sunday, it's as simple as that.

KTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Don't know why everyone is getting excited by potential new managers,Pardew will be here next season regardless of what league we're in. That leads me to question the ownership of this club,yes the books are balanced,but since 2007,we've only finished in the top 10 once. That'll be the same next year(provided we're in the prem)unless there's serious investment in this squad,can anyone see that happening?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement