Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Highly doubt that he will be there, performance with that squad an money spent is pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

would love a spurs win tonight - put pressure on arsenal for wigan game

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    would love a spurs win tonight - put pressure on arsenal for wigan game

could also put pressure on them to win on the final day (not good)

M5 wrote: »
    could also put pressure on them to win on the final day (not good)

IF we cant get a point at QPR (providing the afore mentioned under pressure arsenal beat wigan) then we dont deserve to be in the division andd might as well be beat off the park by arsenal1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pardew can be let go and paid one years compensation if Ashley wishes. It amazes me how anyone could think a businessman like Ashley would agree to a contract that would see Pardew paid 8 years worth of compensation if something went wrong:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alan-pardew-pay-off-from-newcastle-united-1503097
    Under-pressure Newcastle boss Alan Pardew would only receive a pay-off in the region of 12 months’ wages if he was to leave St James’ Park despite his eight-year contract....

The worrying thing from my point of view is that you will get a proper manager if/when Pardew is dismissed. Benitez would be a sensational appointment for example, although Ashley has never made an expensive managerial signing during his reign yet and seems to favour the cheaper options (Pardew, Hughton, Kinnear, Keegan, Allardyce) so hopefully you'll be looking at the Lee Clark's of the managerial world as opposed to the Benitez's. If Ashley was willing to spend a bit more on a manager I think Blanc would be a very good appointment to get the French lads back onside amid a reported split in the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Paully D wrote: »
    Pardew can be let go and paid one years compensation if Ashley wishes. It amazes me how anyone could think a businessman like Ashley would agree to a contract that would see Pardew paid 8 years worth of compensation if something went wrong:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alan-pardew-pay-off-from-newcastle-united-1503097

The worrying thing from my point of view is that you will get a proper manager if/when Pardew is dismissed. Benitez would be a sensational appointment for example, although Ashley has never made an expensive managerial signing during his reign yet and seems to favour the cheaper options (Pardew, Hughton, Kinnear, Keegan, Allardyce) so hopefully you'll be looking at the Lee Clark's of the managerial world as opposed to the Benitez's. If Ashley was willing to spend a bit more on a manager I think Blanc would be a very good appointment to get the French lads back onside amid a reported split in the camp.

Shepherd appointed Big Sam, but agree with you there, it's unlikely Ashley will spend anything on a manager worth his salt.

Paully D wrote: »

Have said that at least 20 times in this thread.... its a 1 year rolling contract that runs for 8 years.... Media know that too, but it sounds much more dramatic if a 7 year contract needs to be paid up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Doocey wrote: »

If we stay up, Pardew will likely be given another half a season out of courtesy.

Not so certain about that. Can't forget that at the beginning of January, especially after the Reading game, Pardew was under severe pressure and public opinion was turning against him.

Ashley however not only backed him, but spent €25 million on new recruits in Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara, Debuchy and Yanga-Mbiwa. Even with that investment we still find ourselves in a worse position than we were in January and performances have actually gotten worse the longer the campaign has gone.

If Ashley indeed gave Pardew a rolling contract, then I really can't see any reason why Pardew should be retained. We are a staggering 12 places and 27 points worse off than at this point last season. After backing him once already, I don't see it happening again.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Not so certain about that. Can't forget that at the beginning of January, especially after the Reading game, Pardew was under severe pressure and public opinion was turning against him.

Ashley however not only backed him, but spent €25 million on new recruits in Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara, Debuchy and Yanga-Mbiwa. Even with that investment we still find ourselves in a worse position than we were in January and performances have actually gotten worse the longer the campaign has gone.

If Ashley indeed gave Pardew a rolling contract, then I really can't see any reason why Pardew should be retained. We are a staggering 12 places and 27 points worse off than at this point last season. After backing him once already, I don't see it happening again.

I'm not so sure the signings were anything to do with Pardew.... I would call it strengthening, not backing TBH

I'm not so sure the signings were anything to do with Pardew.... I would call it strengthening, not backing TBH

I'd lean towards backing because of how little they spent in the summer. I'm basing this on how often Pardew complained about the size of the squad and injuries during our bad run over Christmas. They wouldn't have spent €25 million if the team was performing better.

Pardew may not have picked who was being brought in, but he certainly requested players be brought in, based on what he was saying in the media. To sign those players and trust Pardew to develop and get the best out of them is backing the manager IMO.

• Advertisement

I'd lean towards backing because of how little they spent in the summer. I'm basing this on how often Pardew complained about the size of the squad and injuries during our bad run over Christmas. They wouldn't have spent €25 million if the team was performing better.

Pardew may not have picked who was being brought in, but he certainly requested players be brought in, based on what he was saying in the media. To sign those players and trust Pardew to develop and get the best out of them is backing the manager IMO.

Depends on how you look at is of course! I also think that after 2 wins in 14 it was clear that we needed players in Jan. Pardew stated on several occasions during the summer that our squad was too small but was not backed then. Does that mean that he was not backed then?

Depends on how you look at is of course! I also think that after 2 wins in 14 it was clear that we needed players in Jan. Pardew stated on several occasions during the summer that our squad was too small but was not backed then. Does that mean that he was not backed then?

I would put that down to Ashley/llambias' naivety. IMO they believed that if they could keep the players who got them to 5th and add in a couple of squad signings (Anita, Bigi, Amalifitano) then Pardew should have been able to replicate the previous season's performance or at least keep the team in the top half of the league.

Its the same situation as when Newcastle finished 3rd in 02/03. Freddy didn't see the need to seriously invest and strengthen a team that had done so well the previous season and thus the club only brought in Lee Bowyer. Although the team didn't collapse like Pardew's, they only finished 5th and outside CL places.

Was in-explicitly the end of Sir Booby.

I would put that down to Ashley/llambias' naivety. IMO they believed that if they could keep the players who got them to 5th and add in a couple of squad signings (Anita, Bigi, Amalifitano) then Pardew should have been able to replicate the previous season's performance or at least keep the team in the top half of the league.

Its the same situation as when Newcastle finished 3rd in 02/03. Freddy didn't see the need to seriously invest and strengthen a team that had done so well the previous season and thus the club only brought in Lee Bowyer. Although the team didn't collapse like Pardew's, they only finished 5th and outside CL places.

Yeah, we seem to inexplicably fail to invest at just the wrong time.... or invest in rubbish like MO

Regardless, that shouldn't be the biggest ask ever! :pac:

Shola and Sissoko out for the remaining two games.

While Marveaux and Santon are available. Think we see against QPR:
    Elliot

Debuchy...Colo...Taylor...Yanga Mbiwa

Cabaye...Tiote

Gouffran...HBA...Jonas

Cisse

Pardew has been signing the praises of Yanga-Mbiwa all week so I think he will stick with him at LB. Simpson I'd consider to be unlucky as he did well against West Ham.

I seen a stat earlier that stated, all season, Jonas has scored once and created nothing. Although that doesn't surprise me, it beggers belief that he can hold down a first team place like he has. I'd prefer to see Marveaux play in the hole, with HBA and Gouffran on the wings, but won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Not looking forward to this game at all tomorrow, mainly because I'm expecting the same rubbish that has characterized our pitiful season. These players owe us to put in a far better performance in these last 2 games, reflecting on this season the only game I remember us actually playing well was away at Everton in the second half and away at Villa in the first half, ridiculous really..

Santon and Marv available for Sunday

Pardew now pointing the finger at MA, while he may have a point its surely the words of a marked man?
    “It will be uncomfortable for us both because we have both underachieved. Him (Mike Ashley) as an owner and me as a manager.

We need to find out what the reasons were (for Newcastle’s from this season) and then it is for Mike, hopefully with me, to then decide how we go forward.

We know that we have an uncomfortable conversation regarding our form this season and the underachievement that has been mentioned, plus everything else.

My job is to manage this club with honesty and dignity which I have done; not just with the players but also the press and most importantly, the fans.

Hopefully it will be enough to keep my job.

Any one else hoping for a high tempo FA-cup final with wigan leading until the 89th minute only for Man City to draw level do force extra time.
    Followed by a manic 30mins of extra time and a demoralising penalty loss for Wigan?:D

a few yellow cards ruling wigan lads out of the Arsenal game would be nice icing on the cake ;)

oh, and would a Chelsea win at villa be too much to ask for?:o

'All' we'd have to do then is get our win against QPR:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any one else hoping for a high tempo FA-cup final with wigan leading until the 89th minute only for Man City to draw level do force extra time.
    Followed by a manic 30mins of extra time and a demoralising penalty loss for Wigan?:D

a few yellow cards ruling wigan lads out of the Arsenal game would be nice icing on the cake ;)

oh, and would a Chelsea win at chelsea be too much to ask for?:o

'All' we'd have to do then is get our win against QPR:rolleyes:

whatever about the rest i dont think Chelsea are strong enough to beat Chelsea home or away :pac:

whatever about the rest i dont think Chelsea are strong enough to beat Chelsea home or away :pac:
    Ok correcting as we speak

Ok correcting as we speak

Sorry man, couldn't resist!

Villa lost AND Benteke got sent off ....

Operation Toon Survival Plan:

[•] - Part 1 (chelsea beat villa)
    [ ] - Part 2 (city run wigan ragged - for 120mins hopefully)
    [ ] - Part 3 (Toon beat QPR - toughest part of the plan)
    [ ] - Part 4 (only required if p1 and p3 dont materialise - Arsenal beat Wigan)

That will have gotten wigans tails up for the premier league battle!!!

We better beat qpr tomorrow!!

Operation Toon Survival Plan:

[•] - Part 1 (chelsea beat villa)
    [x] - Part 2 (city run wigan ragged - for 120mins hopefully)
    [ ] - Part 3 (Toon beat QPR - toughest part of the plan)
    [ ] - Part 4 (only required if p1 and p3 dont materialise - Arsenal beat Wigan)

Another motr side wins a cup, our wait goes on!

A win tomorrow a must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I'm happy to see them win it. They were far the better team. Still don't think they will go to the emirates and win on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Was a well deserved win and Martinez got his tactics perfect.

That will have gotten wigans tails up for the premier league battle!!!

They put alot of energy into that game though. Did an awful lot of running off the bll to pressure City in possession. On the flip side Arsenal won't have played in 10 days.

Very much doubt they can replicate the energy and intensity shown against City.

Saylor out, Williamson in.

Uh oh.

HTL.

If we don't win, we need something really, really special to stay up.

We can do it, Cissé to score a blinder!

• Advertisement

Williamson! OH DEAR GOD. QPR to win 3-0 with a remy HT so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Williamson! OH DEAR GOD. QPR to win 3-0 with a remy HT so

First touch from him is to give it away. World class he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Very, very nervous lads.

Cabaye looking distinctly disinterested...

Cabaye looks like he couldn't give a fluck..

Ben Arfa, cabaye Jonas and Tiote look scared of the ball so far!

And there you go!

Fúck off, Debuchy

Bad Call, never a penalty

What a surprise.

• Advertisement

Yet another **** call by a ref, there were 2/3 fouls prior to the incident in the box where debuchy clearly played the ball

Joke, never inside. Wouldn't ya know it'd be him as well.

Wonder how many points we've lost directly due to inept refereeing this season?

I'm so tired of the ****e standard of officiating. Something needs to be done.

Was Debuchy even booked?

No he wasn't.

Morpork wrote: »
    No he wasn't.

Makes sense..

Well that evens that up then....

actually that WAS a foul