Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Arsenal will score as many times as they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Jaysus lads not what I wanted to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Doocey wrote: »

Keep the faith lads, its not over until the fat lady sings, and with Ben Arfa in the side, he can spring one magic through ball/ one scorcher from distance away at QPR that could keep us int he league. We can do it.!

I knew Benny would save us in the end :)

What a penalty it was mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

He's lost the plot altogether.
    “We got an important result today,” “I don’t really care if Arsenal win 4-0 if I’m honest – I’m sure Spurs will – but I only care that our fans enjoy themselves.” “I’m very pleased.”

“It was a very important game for this football club. Particularly this year with the finance of the Premier League.”“I thought both penalties were dubious.”

“We played well after that, showed great resilience and it is massive for the North-East to have a team in the Premier League.” “Accusations of a ‘rift’ are absolutely ridiculous. Those that made them will be sobbing in their beer today,”

“I think if I put my best eleven out every week we would be a top-eight side but I’ve only been able to put it out three times at most. It’s an unforgiving league and if you look at this division, the likes of Swansea and West Brom are only five or six points ahead of us.”

“It’s been an unbelievable season and I think it’s been so, so tight because of the financial rewards at stake this year. I will make sure that we are well prepared for next season, and thank God we are not in the Europa League again.

Ah yes, thank god we are not in Europe. We can now concentrate on getting by the 3rd round of the domestic cups.

Ah yes, thank god we are not in Europe. We can now concentrate on getting by the 3rd round of the domestic cups.

Just seeing that comment now, along with his dismissive comment about the Arsenal game shows once again the massive disconnect that exists between Pardew and the fans. No effort whatsoever i the cups has lead to us going out to lower league opposition time and time again. And who the hell does not want to be in Europe FFS???? Would allow us to right the wrongs of last summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Unreal. I know he's relieved to get the club to safety, but when your expecting 50,000 to come to the ground and support the team, saying you don't care what happens is ridiculous and sends out an awful message to the team and fans. The league and Spurs won't be overly happy with comments like that either.

The joy at not being in Europe I find pathetic. What's the aim for next season then, to miss out on Europe so we don't have to play extra games? God forbid the club aspire to playing at the highest level in club football.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Looks like his job is safe if the Chronicle is to be believed.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-told-job-safe-3661404

I believe it unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I hate to say it but we as a club are going nowhere under Ashley, he's happy just to have us keep our premier league status imo. There is no ambition anymore whatsoever. It was glaringly obvious last summer. We had an opportunity to strengthen & push on from last year but we ended up buying a few back up players who would look more comfortable in a championship side.

I guess Ashley realises there is a healthy profit for him in keeping costs to a minimum while retaining our Premier league status. And he's right too as our finances have never looked better. He's a shrewd businessman but nothing short of a cretin as an football owner. He is slowly killing the passion I have for Newcastle & Pardew is nothing but a pawn who is punching way over his station with this club.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I hate to say it but we as a club are going nowhere under Ashley, he's happy just to have us keep our premier league status imo. There is no ambition anymore whatsoever. It was glaringly obvious last summer. We had an opportunity to strengthen & push on from last year but we ended up buying a few back up players who would look more comfortable in a championship side.

I guess Ashley realises there is a healthy profit for him in keeping costs to a minimum while retaining our Premier league status. And he's right too as our finances have never looked better. He's a shrewd businessman but nothing short of a cretin as an football owner. He is slowly killing the passion I have for Newcastle & Pardew is nothing but a pawn who is punching way over his station with this club.

sadly i fear your completely right, atrocious gambles with the club's position and lurching from one crisis to another seem to be what we can expect going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm happy we scraped the win yesterday and have secured PL status for another year. The way we've played, if we got a point against Arsenal it'd be a miracle but we're up, can finally relax and see what happens during the summer. Surely Ashley and Co will see this season as a concern and hopefully act to resolve it. But i reckon they'll think with no Europa league football for 2013-2014 that it'll be an easier fixture list and no need to improve. I pray that's not the case

It's worth giving him another half a season like I thought he might merit if he kept us up.

Performances can't get much worse, and hopefully we'll have less injuries next season with no European outlook.

I think Ashley does actually have a genuine passion for the club that is growing, but of course he is happy to see the club just stay in the EPL as he is purely finance orientated.

We spent almost €20m in January alone, so he has opened his purse strings, and I think we'll spend another £20m this summer on new recruits.

Ben Arfa's comments are encouraging claiming that we'll finish very high next season and we have to keep the faith.

We'll gain good money from TV this year, but I do expect Cabaye to depart to be completely honest. At times yesterday he seemed as if he was almost "acting" passionately, but perhaps I'm way out on that one.

All aside, it's great to look on from a distance to the final day of the season, one which Wigan will likely contend one more should they get something at Arsenal..

HTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bored today and decided to check the odds for Newcastle's next manager. Benitez favourite??

I'd be surprised if it happened but imagine it. We might actually go somewhere with him.

Until then, I'll stick to my FIFA dreams.

It's worth giving him another half a season like I thought he might merit if he kept us up.

Performances can't get much worse, and hopefully we'll have less injuries next season with no European outlook.

I think Ashley does actually have a genuine passion for the club that is growing, but of course he is happy to see the club just stay in the EPL as he is purely finance orientated.

We spent almost €20m in January alone, so he has opened his purse strings, and I think we'll spend another £20m this summer on new recruits.

Ben Arfa's comments are encouraging claiming that we'll finish very high next season and we have to keep the faith.

We'll gain good money from TV this year, but I do expect Cabaye to depart to be completely honest. At times yesterday he seemed as if he was almost "acting" passionately, but perhaps I'm way out on that one.

All aside, it's great to look on from a distance to the final day of the season, one which Wigan will likely contend one more should they get something at Arsenal..

HTL.

Look, no disrespect but it was closer 17m & he should have spent it in the summer. Also he made 7m on Ba in the January transfer window so the real outlay was 10m. That is criminally low for a club that finished fifth last season & nearly achieved CL qualification in spite of his penny pinching.

He has made very little net investment in the squad. In the 2011/2012 season the club were up nearly 25m on transfers. Since then he has spent a bit of money but most of that was spent this January only because he was afraid we might get relegated again, that was the main reason.

We're one of the few clubs in the premier league that have brought in more on transfers than we've spent. I'm not saying we should just splash the cash but this policy of buying low selling high is only going to get you so far. Were unable to attract a quality manager or good players because of it. The truth of the matter is if you buy shi*e you'll buy twice inevitably & from what ive seen, we bought alot of cheap shi*e in January.

Where's all the money from the P.L., T.V, MERCHANDISE, GATE RECEIPTS, UEFA CUP going???? It certainly isnt all going on wages thats for sure with that tight c**t. Apologies for the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

What players do people think we've a realistic chance of getting this summer?? I think we need, a winger, 2 strikers, a centre back and perhaps a player who could play across the back 4 and maybe in midfield.

Andreas Weimann seems a decent bet but he plays in a similar mode to Sissoko, I think we're crying out for an out and out winger to give us some badly needed width.

Pierre-Emerick Aubeyemang is also someone mentioned a few times,but we'll probably have to come up with 10-12 million,Ashley will probably look for cheaper targets.

Andy Carroll is someone I'd really like to see back,I think him and Cisse could link up potentially quite well and we might actually score from a corner. Again,liverpool are quoting 17 million for him and I couldn't see Ashley paying over max 10 million for him.

Mahamou Sakho has been mentioned as a potential CB,he's a super CB. I think getting Coloccini to stay will be the main aim though.

We should look to get Kone in if Wigan go down. I'd like to see Vuckic in there but he seems very injury prone.

Jonas played well enough yesterday and was the reason we got our second goal but he's been largely poor this season. Wouldn't be too sad to see him go.

We need to sort out our centre backs. Williamson had a good game yesterday but like Jonas, he's mostly poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Benitez yesterday saying he has instructed his agents to find him work, preferably in England.

He WON'T go to Everton so this is a great chance to get a proper manager in.

We'll see if Ashley has any ambition or not. It was practically a 'come and get me' call from Rafa. We have a great oppurtunity here. A quality manager with a proven record is looking for work. Lets go get him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8710122/Chelsea-interim-boss-Rafa-Benitez-targets-new-job-in-Premier-League

We need to sort the manager situation first before we start looking at players. Either Ashley comes out and says Pardews job is safe(god forbid) or we bring in a new man at once.

Look, no disrespect but it was closer 17m & he should have spent it in the summer. Also he made 7m on Ba in the January transfer window so the real outlay was 10m. That is criminally low for a club that finished fifth last season & nearly achieved CL qualification in spite of his penny pinching.

He has made very little net investment in the squad. In the 2011/2012 season the club were up nearly 25m on transfers. Since then he has spent a bit of money but most of that was spent this January only because he was afraid we might get relegated again, that was the main reason.

We're one of the few clubs in the premier league that have brought in more on transfers than we've spent. I'm not saying we should just splash the cash but this policy of buying low selling high is only going to get you so far. Were unable to attract a quality manager or good players because of it. The truth of the matter is if you buy shi*e you'll buy twice inevitably & from what ive seen, we bought alot of cheap shi*e in January.

Where's all the money from the P.L., T.V, MERCHANDISE, GATE RECEIPTS, UEFA CUP going???? It certainly isnt all going on wages thats for sure with that tight c**t. Apologies for the language.

We didn't bank £7.5m on Ba, we got about £2.5m out of it when all his agents and himself (50%) took their share.

Be glad any money was spent at all, and that we're in the league next season.

We have great financial footing, unlike a lot of clubs in the league. Keep an eye on Fulham ;)

Bring a bit of optimism into next season folks

And leonidas — what players, brought in, in January do you regard as ****e?

Sissoko? The guy who singlehandly beat Chelsea at home?
    Debuchy? A guy who plugged a hole in our defence?
    Mbiwa? A man who has been brilliant at left back towards the end of the season?
    Haidara? Someone with immense potential as seen by his performances

Or was it Gouffran? The guy who scored twice away from home in the last couple of weeks to basically secure our safety including that goal at QPR on Sunday?

Your last sentence makes you sound like a 14 year-old that thinks Mike Ashley is pocketing a few million from NUFC to add to his already growing billion pound bank balance..

No chance of Benitez lads. I'd be shocked if it happened under Ashley.

It would ruin the entire set up he has in place, whereby the manager doesn't actually decide on transfer targets and who to buy. Not to mention the wages he would require.

There's very few managers willing to work in the circumstances that Pardew is working in. That's why I think he will keep his job.

Expect a statement from the board any day now :(

• Advertisement

No chance of Benitez lads. I'd be shocked if it happened under Ashley.

It would ruin the entire set up he has in place, whereby the manager doesn't actually decide on transfer targets and who to buy. Not to mention the wages he would require.

There's very few managers willing to work in the circumstances that Pardew is working in. That's why I think he will keep his job.

Expect a statement from the board any day now :(

I fear you may be right =/

Hearing Cabaye wants out. Fair play to him, after a battling season from him where he gave 110% every game who can blame the lad? :rolleyes:

We didn't bank £7.5m on Ba, we got about £2.5m out of it when all his agents and himself (50%) took their share.

Be glad any money was spent at all, and that we're in the league next season.

We have great financial footing, unlike a lot of clubs in the league. Keep an eye on Fulham ;)

Bring a bit of optimism into next season folks

And leonidas — what players, brought in, in January do you regard as ****e?

Sissoko? The guy who singlehandly beat Chelsea at home?
    Debuchy? A guy who plugged a hole in our defence?
    Mbiwa? A man who has been brilliant at left back towards the end of the season?
    Haidara? Someone with immense potential as seen by his performances

Or was it Gouffran? The guy who scored twice away from home in the last couple of weeks to basically secure our safety including that goal at QPR on Sunday?

Your last sentence makes you sound like a 14 year-old that thinks Mike Ashley is pocketing a few million from NUFC to add to his already growing billion pound bank balance..

I better refrain from replying to all of this post as Ill probably say something that will get me banned. Losing 0-3 to Sunderland at home & then losing 0-6 to Liverpool followed by scraping a win against an already relegated QPR is not something any proper Newcastle fan should be glad about.

Only a fool would think a club like Newcastle which is frequently ranked in the top 20 of the worlds richest clubs with a revenue fluctuating between 140m to 200m per year should be glad any money was spent at all in January.

The rest of your post smacks of complete delusion, the players that you have mentioned have an awful lot to prove still & are guilty of some brutal performances in the games above & in others towards the latter end of this season. Describing them as you are above you'd would swear they were world beaters.

There is nothing wrong with criticising an owner who in his five years at the club has relegated us, nearly relegated us again this year & has failed to finish in the top ten of the PL in 4 out 5 of those seasons in charge. Thats not good enough for a club of Newcastles stature.

Btw pm me if you want to continue this conversation further

I better refrain from replying to all of this post as Ill probably say something that will get me banned. Losing 0-3 to Sunderland at home & then losing 0-6 to Liverpool followed by scraping a win against an already relegated QPR is not something any proper Newcastle fan should be glad about.

Only a fool would think a club like Newcastle which is frequently ranked in the top 20 of the worlds richest clubs with a revenue fluctuating between 140m to 200m per year should be glad any money was spent at all in January.

The rest of your post smacks of complete delusion, the players that you have mentioned have an awful lot to prove still & are guilty of some brutal performances in the games above & in others towards the latter end of this season. Describing them as you are above you'd would swear they were world beaters.

There is nothing wrong with criticising an owner who in his five years at the club has relegated us, nearly relegated us again this year & has failed to finish in the top ten of the PL in 4 out 5 of those seasons in charge. Thats not good enough for a club of Newcastles stature.

Btw pm me if you want to continue this conversation further

Haha, you know what, players shouldn't have been brought in in January....

And it's wrong to be glad we're staying in the division?

So what we're in the Top 20 revenue rated clubs? I'm sick of hearing that tbh, means FA when it comes to winning games.

I have no problem criticizing Ashley, and I have done so myself on many occasions. I bemoaned our performance against QPR on Sunday regardless of the win., we've had a shocking season, but I'm sick of people moaning about it.

And the whole thing of losing 0-3 to Sunderland is getting on my nerve as well, you'd swear it was as if we have been that much better them this season. We played shocking, deserved the defeat. Get over it, move on etc.

Nothing is going to change under MA, get used to it.

Tired of the constant, berating attitude on this forum, think I'll take a break..

BBC Radio Newcastle's Mick Lowes will be joined in the studio by Alan Pardew this coming Friday between 7pm and 8pm to answer questions/field insults from fans.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    BBC Radio Newcastle's Mick Lowes will be joined in the studio by Alan Pardew this coming Friday between 7pm and 8pm to answer questions/field insults from fans.

Will be at Shams V Bohs at that time. I assume there'll be a podcast?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Will be at Shams V Bohs at that time. I assume there'll be a podcast?

I'd imagine so yeah.

Credit to him for having the balls to go on to be fair.

Haha, you know what, players shouldn't have been brought in in January....

And it's wrong to be glad we're staying in the division?

So what we're in the Top 20 revenue rated clubs? I'm sick of hearing that tbh, means FA when it comes to winning games.

I have no problem criticizing Ashley, and I have done so myself on many occasions. I bemoaned our performance against QPR on Sunday regardless of the win., we've had a shocking season, but I'm sick of people moaning about it.

And the whole thing of losing 0-3 to Sunderland is getting on my nerve as well, you'd swear it was as if we have been that much better them this season. We played shocking, deserved the defeat. Get over it, move on etc.

Nothing is going to change under MA, get used to it.

Tired of the constant, berating attitude on this forum, think I'll take a break..

Sorry Doocey but just being happy to be in the division is not acceptable when the likes of Stoke, Sunderland etc expect to stay there. As mentioned we are in the top 20 earning clubs, lets have a look at the top 20

. Real Madrid – 3,300 Million USD
    2. Manchester United – 3,165 Million USD
    3. FC Barcelona – 2,600 Million USD
    4. FC Arsenal London – 1,326 Million USD
    5. FC Bayern Munich – 1,309 Million USD
    6. AC Milan – 945 Million USD
    7. Chelsea FC – 901 Million USD
    8. Juventus Torino – 694 Million USD
    9. Manchester City – 689 Million USD
    10. Liverpool FC – 651 Million USD
    11. Tottenham Hotspurs – 520 Million USD
    12. FC Schalke 04 – 498 Million USD
    13. Borussia Dortmund – 456 Million USD
    12. Internazionale Milan – 401 Million USD
    15. Olympique Lyonnais – 368 Million USD
    16. Corinthians Paulista – 358 Million USD
    17. SSC Napoli – 330 Million USD
    18. Hamburger SV – 300 Million USD
    19. Olympique Marseille – 285 Million USD
    20. Newcastle United – 263 Million USD

All regular CL contestants and most recent cup/championship winners, so there is a direct correlation with winning games!

Why should we be happy to be battling with Wigan for relegation given the success of those ahead of us in the table?

We have won nothing but still turn up for games, get behind the team and watch the following win trophies

15 Liverpool (8LC, 7FA)
    13 Manchester United (4LC, 9FA)
    11 Chelsea (4LC, 7FA)
    10 Tottenham (4LC, 6FA)
    9 Arsenal (2LC, 7FA)
    6 Aston Villa (5LC, 1FA)
    5 Nottingham Forest (4LC, 1FA)
    5 Manchester City (2LC, 3FA)
    3 Leicester (3LC)
    3 Wolves (2LC, 1FA)
    3 West Ham (3FA)
    3 Everton (3FA)
    2 Birmingham (2LC)
    2 Norwich (2LC)
    2 WBA (1LC, 1FA)
    2 Leeds (1LC, 1FA)
    1 QPR (1LC)
    1 Swindon (1LC)
    1 Stoke (1LC)
    1 Oxford (1LC)
    1 Luton (1LC)
    1 Sheffield Wednesday (1LC)
    1 Blackburn (1LC)
    1 Middlesbrough (1LC)
    1 Swansea (1LC)
    1 Bolton (1FA)
    1 mackems (1FA)
    1 Southampton (1FA)
    1 Ipswich (1FA)
    1 Coventry (1FA)
    1 Wimbledon (1FA)
    1 Portsmouth (1FA)
    1 Wigan Athletic (1FA)

Do you not think its fair to question why all of the above have won trophies while we watch our team going backwards?

Complaining about our worst tyne wear result in living memory is annoying you?

-What about the 2nd closest we have come to relegation?
    -Or our worst home defeat in 90 years?
    -Or our heaviest loss in the PL era?
    -Or the worst defensive performance in the PL era?
    -How bout our worst run of 5,10 and 15 games in the clubs history?

Any of those just cause for complaint?

Come on Doocey, this is the worst season i have witnessed in 25 years supporting NUFC (given the expectation and quality of player available to us), and you expect me to be content with it? A massive inquest into how this has happened is required. A top to toe review of every single element of the club needs to be undertaken. Its been a shambles on the pitch and off

M5 wrote: »
    Hearing Cabaye wants out. Fair play to him, after a battling season from him where he gave 110% every game who can blame the lad? :rolleyes:

Cabaye leaving is interesting, as many of the imports from Ligue 1 said he had some influence on them moving to the club. So Cabaye leaving will affect the clubs pulling power with players from Ligue 1.

From an on-field perspective, he was ordinary. He did have some moments and was always capable of finding that killer pass that could open up a defence. But he looked dis-interested, sloppy in possession and lacked discipline on occasions.

But if someone comes in (and by all accounts its looks to be PSG) and offers in the region of £10m for a player that will be 28 in January, then I don't blame Ashley for selling him, IF the money is re-invested into the team.

I just can't help but think there is some major over reactions going on here. It was a piss poor season and everyone is entitled to be disgruntled but you’d think the club was on the brink of implosion with some of the views being aired. Of that top 20 earning clubs Newcastle are probably 7th or 8th out of the English sides and out of the 20 sides in the division we are one of only two or three sides actually balancing our books. I agree that our revenue and standing in the league over the past twenty years warrants more in terms of silverware, especially when we see the likes of Wigan and Swansea deliver with cup successes this year, but like it or lump it we are still a club in transition since our relegation 4 years ago and we are still very much trying to find our feet again in the top flight. Football is cyclical and we will no doubt have our day in the sun at some stage but the days of dreaming of Champions League endeavours are over. Especially when we are a club ran on a steady fiscal footing in a division full of oil rich oligarchs and sheiks. Keep the faith lads. Just my two cents. Hopefully nest season will be that little bit brighter but it’s never f*cking easy it?

It's difficult to keep the faith when we've finished 5th last season and ended up nearly relegated the following season.

Pardew has shown he's tactically inept this season and has continued to deflect away from himself and blaming injuries/refereeing decisions.

It's just not good enough and not spending in the summer to strengthen in the summer showed a real lack of ambition. I'm sure that's more down to Ashley more than Pardew but to only spend when we were really in the shít was poor given the impact Sissoko/Gouffran had upon arriving. Just imagine what might have been had we gotten them in at the start of the season.

Bringing in players like Bigirimana/Amalfitano are good for the future but certainly not adequate replacements in the first season.

I'm not sure what happened with Anita and why he was continually overlooked especially given that at one stage he was easily our best player.

There was a serious rot this season and players looked completely void of any sort of confidence. Selling Ba with no decent striker coming up behind him was just criminal especially when Cisse's form was quite awful.

I'm happy to be in the league sure but we did it by the skin of our teeth.

This is going to be the biggest summer since our relegation season in my opinion. We simply have to buy quality players and show more intent and send a message to current players who may be looking towards the exit door that we don't want this same mistake to happen again.

If we were going to replace manager, I'd not be surprised if Poyet was being looked at. Really did wonders with Brighton who had the best defensive record of the Championship. Would be an interesting appointment methinks.

Obviously I'd like Benitez but I just don't see it. I'd be amazed to be honest.

• Advertisement

“I don’t care what anybody says, getting over the line with some of the misfortune we have had is an achievement.

We have had three cruciate injuries (Twice Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic), no other club has had that.

We missed key players at QPR – Sissoko, Shola Ameobi, Tom Krul and Davide Santon.

All year we have had that but we still got over the line, that is the main thing.”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That_Guy wrote: »

If we were going to replace manager, I'd not be surprised if Poyet was being looked at. Really did wonders with Brighton who had the best defensive record of the Championship. Would be an interesting appointment methinks.

I'm not shouting for Pardew's head (yet) but Poyet is definitely a manager that would interest me hugely. If there were to be change he is the one that fits the bill for me. Ashley is never gonna shell out for Benitez, nor would Rafa be keen on working under such tight constraints. Poyet would be hungry for it and his footballing philosphy would be one that both fits in well at St.James and allow the current squad to flourish.

Anoeta wrote: »
    I just can't help but think there is some major over reactions going on here. It was a piss poor season and everyone is entitled to be disgruntled but you’d think the club was on the brink of implosion with some of the views being aired. Of that top 20 earning clubs Newcastle are probably 7th or 8th out of the English sides and out of the 20 sides in the division we are one of only two or three sides actually balancing our books. I agree that our revenue and standing in the league over the past twenty years warrants more in terms of silverware, especially when we see the likes of Wigan and Swansea deliver with cup successes this year, but like it or lump it we are still a club in transition since our relegation 4 years ago and we are still very much trying to find our feet again in the top flight. Football is cyclical and we will no doubt have our day in the sun at some stage but the days of dreaming of Champions League endeavours are over. Especially when we are a club ran on a steady fiscal footing in a division full of oil rich oligarchs and sheiks. Keep the faith lads. Just my two cents. Hopefully nest season will be that little bit brighter but it’s never f*cking easy it?

Exactly what I'm saying, thank you.

I never said I was content with this season, it's been a disaster, there's no hiding that, but there has been a major overreaction on here and everywhere.

We have quite a few years ahead of us before we can make any silverware challenge IMO, but the long-term future of this club looks good, which can't be said for a every other club in the league.
    We are lightyears ahead in our financial structure and plans, but it doesn't always reflect on the pitch, immediately anyway.

I want nothing to do with Poyet. Martinez or Lennon please, but either are unlikely.

I want nothing to do with Poyet. Martinez or Lennon please, but either are unlikely.

Lennon? Good god no. The man won two league titles. One with Rangers on a ten point deduction and the other with Rangers nestled in the fourth tier of Scottish football. Albeit they did have a good run in Europe this year but I don't want him anywhere near Gallowgate. There is a discernible paranoia about the man that I don't think I could stomach week in week out.

I'd rather keep Pardew then have Lennon anywhere near my club.

We'll see what happens in the summer. We have been unlucky with injuries, new signings not settling in completely but there is a good squad there overall. Granted a few could be improved on but i'm hoping that the lads get a good rest and get 1 or 2 new lads in and go at it next season.
    I'm confident we'll have a better 2014 and we'll still have alot of these lads playing.

Anoeta wrote: »
    It was a piss poor season and everyone is entitled to be disgruntled but you’d think the club was on the brink of implosion with some of the views being aired.

We were! Only for Jose Bosingwa. :cool:

We were! Only for Jose Bosingwa. :cool:

On the verge of relegation, our second win away from home and only 1 win anywhere since the beginning of March prior to that, despite half our team coming back from injury. Not to mind being absolutely destroyed on the pitch by several sides. Loosing 12/15 before christmas, conceding 67 goals in one season....

Nah, nothing to worry about folks!

Nah, nothing to worry about folks!

That's the spirit, we can come back from anything.....
    But would like to see a performance now to close out the season.

I don't think people would be complaining as much if we had scrapped together some better performances along the way this season. We have genuinely played the worst football in the league this year.

Pardew has shown that he's a negative coach who doesn't learn from his mistakes. The players have voiced their disappointment and a lack of belief in his tactics. He constantly plays players out of position and sticks with ones who are bang out of form.

Let's not kid ourselves with last season either, the warning signs were there.

We want a more competent manager and we've every right to voice that.

• Advertisement

What's Sven doing these days? :pac:

I don't think people would be complaining as much if we had scrapped together some better performances along the way this season. We have genuinely played the worst football in the league this year.

Pardew has shown that he's a negative coach who doesn't learn from his mistakes. The players have voiced their disappointment and a lack of belief in his tactics. He constantly plays players out of position and sticks with ones who are bang out of form.

Very valid point! Have we preformed well in any full game this season? Seem to remember a goot half or two but thats it

Agree with this, however...

Neil Lennon FTW :pac:

We have played worse football then any time I can remember in 18 years as a Newcastle fan. That's not over reacting, that is simple fact. We've played football to rival and even surpass the Gullit days, the Souness days, Roeder, Kinnear and all the other rubbish we've had, only with much better players. Unforgivable.

The constant excuses and questionable behavior on the sideline hasn't done Pardew any favors either.

Worst home defeat in 80 years, atrocious away record, ridiculous goals against count, underachieving in the cups(again), damning stats.

The Arsenal game will be telling, the fans reaction to Pardew and the players will be very interesting.

All season the team, players and their demeanor on the pitch has been off. From game one we haven't looked right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I'd like to know where the work effort of last season went.

I'd like to know where the work effort of last season went.

Thats a good point. They had pretty much the same lads and they looked like completely different players compared to the previous season. That was a bad sign but we did ok in Europe, had a good run at that but will be interesting to see what the game at the weekend is like.

the worrying part for me was the initial performances of Sissoko and Gouffran and to a lesser degree Haidara and Debuchy

They pretty much all hit the ground running and played well, it seemed to take 4 games or so before they noticeably lost form. This surely has to be down to the managers tactics or motivational skills. Sissoko looked like a championship player at best for the last 4/5 games, genuinely looked as good as his reputation when he arrived!

the worrying part for me was the initial performances of Sissoko and Gouffran and to a lesser degree Haidara and Debuchy

They pretty much all hit the ground running and played well, it seemed to take 4 games or so before they noticeably lost form. This surely has to be down to the managers tactics or motivational skills. Sissoko looked like a championship player at best for the last 4/5 games, genuinely looked as good as his reputation when he arrived!

Sissoko has been ran into the ground, he literally played every minute of every game for a while there. Think its taken its toll.

Gouffran has done fine, works hard, gets involved and has an eye for goal. I don't think he's been used correctly and he's been subbed a lot for no real reason. Probably hasn't helped his confidence.

Debuchy has faded a bit but tough playing in such a leaky defence with so little protection. He seems prone to rash tackles though so that's a worry.

Haidara has done fine, exceded expectations and shown good potential.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Sissoko has been ran into the ground, he literally played every minute of every game for a while there. Think its taken its toll.

Gouffran has done fine, works hard, gets involved and has an eye for goal.

Debuchy has faded a bit but tough playing in such a leaky defence with so little protection. He seems prone to rash tackles though so that's a worry.

Haidara has done fine, exceded expectations and shown good potential.

Fair point but he faded quite alarmingly after a handful of games for us

Gouffran is probably a squad player but has done OK. Again started very well

Debuchy has turned from a cultured RB who was great going forward to a rash headless chicken.

Haidara could be excused by age i suppose

• Advertisement

Sissoko's dip in form was unreal. He didn't look the same player after those four games. Opposition were terrified of him, as he could pass, shoot and run at them. Over the past two months he went missing from games for large parts and gave the ball away anytime he got it. He was as effective as Gutierrez over that period.

Didn't even look like the same player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement