Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's spouting out even more drivel today.

I'm getting very bored of listening to him.

He's the new Pulis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

So half a season of ****e to come, followed by a season of rebuilding. I'm gona tune out until 2015/16 so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fantastic news, I'm sure you'll agree :D

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-stick-alan-pardew-4004833
    Alan Pardew's position as Newcastle United manager was said to be “safe” last night – as one of his own players admitted the season had been a disaster.

A club source told the Chronicle that nobody inside St James’ Park expected Pardew to be sacked after his series of clear-the-air meetings with owner Mike Ashley.

Rumours about a change of manager have dominated social media over the last 48 hours and the club’s decision not to make an official statement on the matter only fuelled those flames.

Many Newcastle supporters, it must be said, would prefer Pardew to go after a campaign that defender Mathieu Debuchy candidly described as “not good enough”.

But it is our understanding Pardew will be allowed to continue at United at least for the foreseeable future, despite the team tumbling from fifth to 16th position within the space of a year.

This, however, does not mean Ashley is anywhere close to being happy with a season that saw his team flirt with relegation until the penultimate weekend.

And French star Debuchy didn’t attempt to hide from the truth of what was a dreadful domestic campaign. He said: “It’s not been good enough for a team such as Newcastle United to do what we did in the last campaign and everyone knows that. We will do better next time.

“There is a determination within the squad to improve next season. We want to do a lot better.”

Pardew revealed before the meetings with Ashley, and managing director Derek Llambias, that he had yet to speak directly with his boss about what type of player he wanted.

But one thing that can be said for certainty is the manager wants to bring in at least one, most probably two, players with genuine Premier League experience, the polar opposite of what happened in January.

Asked whether he had spoken to Ashley about such a move, Pardew said: “I have never had that conversation with Mike.

“It doesn’t mean an old player, let’s get that straight. I mean an experienced player.

“Theo Walcott must have played 250 games for Arsenal and he’s only 24. That’s the experience we lack.”

Incredibly, after Tony Pulis leaving Stoke City on Tuesday, Pardew is the second longest-serving manager in the Premier League at two-and-a-half years.

He falls some way behind Arsene Wenger’s 17-year residency at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Gutted but until a week tomorrow i will continue to hope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Would actually love to know who Pardew is targeting when he says players with over 200 games worth of Premiership experience.

I'll give him 10 games. If there's no drastic turn around then he can fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

TaosHum wrote: »
    Would actually love to know who Pardew is targeting when he says players with over 200 games worth of Premiership experience.

Darren Bent? Chances are he will be released or sold on the cheap by villa, that seems to fit our search criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Thomas Vermaelan? Decent, but injury prone.

All hope is now lost....... Unbelievable

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130523/magpies-united-for-new-season_2281670_3188858

Llambias

"There has been a great deal of speculation in recent weeks but our desire, as we announced back in September, is to bring long-term stability to this Club. It's up to us all now to work closely as a team to ensure next season sees us competing in the top half of the table again."

I just cant understand ashley anymore! why not get rid its plain for all to see a change is needed, will we wait to we lose the first 6/7 of our first 10 games and make a change? wait till the team is in a rut? and have to endure another woeful season of relegation worries

Top ten the aim for next year... Sounds reasonable until you realise that if results had gone our way on Sunday we would have finished 10th...

more of the same, disaster of a club. Sick of it

• Advertisement

Also if top ten is the aim WTF are the players going to think? Dont think Cisse/Ben Arfa/Cabaye or tiote on for are top 10 players. Surely a summer of exits awaits

Period of stability guaranteed alright

consistent sh1t

/Rant over:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Never thought they would sack him, so not surprised with the noise coming out of Newcastle atm saying he's safe.

So today's excuse is we lacked "PL experience"....

I'm developing a strong dislike for the man with his constant waffle. He would make a good politician.

just read something that made me smile.....

supposedly we have a 25% sell on clause with andy carroll :D

lol if true 35 million plus a 25% sell on is just unreal lol

cadete wrote: »
    just read something that made me smile.....

supposedly we have a 25% sell on clause with andy carroll :D

lol if true 35 million plus a 25% sell on is just unreal lol

Its not unfortunately, we have 25% of anything in excess of 35 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

M5 wrote: »
    Its not unfortunately, we have 25% of anything in excess of 35 million

Are you sure, I actually think we do get a few pound out of any sale.

In one way I'm glad we haven't gone for him, but he wants to return home and would be good for us.

Either way, serious work needs to be done this summer. Give Pards until Christmas and see what happens.
    Players have quite a bit to prove as well, not just the manager.

Going to be an interesting summer. Starting to wonder are they going to give Pardew more say in transfer dealings and targets.

Its funny, Pardew would have been more comfortable with the team Hughton had. The likes of Barton, Nolan, Taylor (both), Enrique, Simpson, Gutierrez, Ameobi, Carroll are his type of players. Direct, experienced and hard working. This is where the "experienced Premiership players" talk is coming from. They are the type of guys he feels he can do a job with.

What's even more bizarre is the fact Ashley brought in a coach in Pardew, who was happy with the players that were there already. Ashley then brings in this Wenger-esque transfer policy of signing technical foreign players to be sold off at a profit. Now, we are seemingly going back after guys in the Barton, Nolan, Carroll mold.

Madness :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

G

Its funny, Pardew would have been more comfortable with the team Hughton had. The likes of Barton, Nolan, Taylor (both), Enrique, Simpson, Gutierrez, Ameobi, Carroll are his type of players. Direct, experienced and hard working. This is where the "experienced Premiership players" talk is coming from. They are the type of guys he feels he can do a job with.

What's even funnier is that I distinctly remember him coming in and saying he wanted to change our style of play to a more pleasing on the eye style.

Doocey wrote: »
    Are you sure, I actually think we do get a few pound out of any sale.

In one way I'm glad we haven't gone for him, but he wants to return home and would be good for us.

Either way, serious work needs to be done this summer. Give Pards until Christmas and see what happens.
    Players have quite a bit to prove as well, not just the manager.

Several of the local journalists reporting that
    Going to be an interesting summer. Starting to wonder are they going to give Pardew more say in transfer dealings and targets.

What's even more bizarre is the fact Ashley brought in a coach in Pardew, who was happy with the players that were there already. Ashley then brings in this Wenger-esque transfer policy of signing technical foreign players to be sold off at a profit. Now, we are seemingly going back after guys in the Barton, Nolan, Carroll mold.

Madness :mad:

Ashley has tried to reinvent the wheel on so many occasions and failed every time. Lurching from one crisis to the next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ah lads wer not in a crisis just yet, we need a centre half and a goalscorer and we won't be bad

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Ah lads wer not in a crisis just yet, we need a centre half and a goalscorer and we won't be bad

The worst season in living memory is not a crisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The worst season in living memory is not a crisis?

We finished with seven more points than 2008-09, and didn't get relegated.

We finished with seven more points than 2008-09, and didn't get relegated.

correct, but with the expectation, previous season performance along with

our second worst pl points total
    our second worst pl league pos
    our worst goals conceded in PL history
    our worst defeat
    our worst home defeat
    our worst run of 5/10/15 games in PL history
    our worst run of 10/15 games ever
    Second worst away points total

with a team full of internationals, the relegation season pales in comparison

Benitez just took over at Napoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You can't really compare 08/09 to this season. We had a godawful squad, an even worse manager and the fans were in open revolt. We were doomed to relegation from day 1 and everyone knew it.

This season has been so painful and disappointing to watch from what we expected(I didn't expect us to finish 5th again, top 8 and some good cup runs would have done me). I at least expected to see the same commitment and effort we showed in 11/12. Instead we got comedy defending, lumpball and players hiding(i'm looking at you Cabaye) and a total disinterest in the cup competitions when Swansea and Wigan have proved you can win them.

So yeah I rank this season as the worst I can remember since I was old enough to comprehend football(1993 ish).

The Souness years were bad, we had a manager so painfully out of his depth and unworthy to manage this club but this season has been a collective failure all across the board. Upper management, the manager, the coaching staffe and the player. Not one person has had their stock rise in this entire year.

• Advertisement

our worst defeat
    our worst home defeat

hysteria

hysteria

Rubbish m8, its a complete disaster from a position of strength. Without wholesale changes we will struggle next year.

A selection of facts and statistics cant be hysterical btw....

hysteria

:confused:

Worst season in living memory (70 years?)

My arse...

Worst season in living memory (70 years?)

My arse...

you my be 70, im not

Anyway, list out the seasons that you think are worse and why....

your short sharp responses bring nothing to the conversation

• Advertisement

our worst defeat
    our worst home defeat

hysteria

Chazz Michael Michaels

where is the hysteria that is plain simple fact, with the squad we have we have had our worst season in easily 70 years,
    pardews record is worse than any manager we've had in charge(for over 50 games) in over 30 years that also is fact,

To call it hysteria is just not correct at all

you my be 70, I'm not

So, what you meant was 'your' memory?

Anyway, our last relegation was our worst in my memory. We had the least points in that one. Fact.

So, what you meant was 'your' memory?

Anyway, our last relegation was our worst in my memory. We had the least points in that one. Fact.

Well if you choose to completely ignore every single aspect if this season then yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Anyone think Santon could step up an play left midfield instead of Guti with Yanga-Mbiwa having such a strong finish at left back? I never thought John Beresford could ever do that job and was really surprised when he stepped up but Santon looks like he could take on a few players in that position.

yeah totally baz think he would be a hit at left or right wing tbh

I have been impressed by Mbiwa. A little indisciplined but i suppose that's to be expected at his age. Think with his size and stature he will almost certainly be played at centre half. A long term replacement for Colo in my eyes

the other part of the problem (Jonas) needs to be addressed too. A new signing at right or left wing would do the trick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

probably bullplop but as a Villa fan a co worker thought id be interested in where he has heard one of our players will go:

He said Newcastle's main targets this summer will be Darren Bent & Vermaelen to replace Argentina bound Colo

probably bullplop but as a Villa fan a co worker thought id be interested in where he has heard one of our players will go:

He said Newcastle's main targets this summer will be Darren Bent & Vermaelen to replace Argentina bound Colo

Both players very far from what NUFC will be buying. Young players that will garner a similar or higher transfer fee in 4/5 years time are what the club sign at the moment. Bent absolutely no chance

Vermaelen, Skrtel and Samba linked,
    think if buying a centre back we should be looking at players a little older with more experience, think each of the above are available at around 5million so hopefully the club wont be as concerned with resale value

think if buying a centre back we should be looking at players a little older with more experience, think each of the above are available at around 5million so hopefully the club wont be as concerned with resale value

No chance we'll pay the wages for Samba. Vermaelen and Skertel seem to have lost form completely so would not particularly be delighted with any of them TBH

• Advertisement

Wouldn't mind Shawcross or Williams but will probably cost a fair few quid.

well especially if we lose colo(which i think we will) we really need a centre back with premier league experience, Skrtel would be a decent signing think hes 27/28 which is a pretty good age, shawcross another good signing, williams too expensive and think hes for arsenal anyway

well especially if we lose colo(which i think we will) we really need a centre back with premier league experience, Skrtel would be a decent signing think hes 27/28 which is a pretty good age, shawcross another good signing, williams too expensive and think hes for arsenal anyway

Ask the Pool fans what they think of Skertel!

Wouldnt pay liverpool fans too much heed tbh, sure they gonna win the league next season :pac:

Wouldnt pay liverpool fans too much heed tbh, sure they gonna win the league next season :pac:

They'll win it before us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hes a pretty good centre half, needs a leader beside him like colo would be for ye, he got dropped after christmas and wasent seen much of since, instead of trying to regain his place he just went off to his agent. He signed a new deal with us last summer so he probably wont go cheap, i imagine we are banking on some russian team to come in with a stupid offer for him other then that i think well probably hold onto him.

Of course, its always our year sure :pac:

Went down the mercenary route before, didn't work then and won't work now.

You'd have to ask yourself, why would Skrtel and Vermaelen join us? Liverpool are in a far better position than us to win trophies/qualify for CL, so why on earth would he drop down a level and join us? Also signed a new contract last season. We would have to give him crazy money for a player who was average last season/

Vermaelen is still an integral part of the Arsenal set up (started 44 games in all comps last season) and still has 2 years left on his contract. So he would have to give up CL football to come play for Newcastle.

Samba is a pure mercenary. Wouldn't play for Blackburn and forced a move away when he was playing his best football. Then joined Anzhi because they offered crazy money and did the same with QPR. Want no part of Samba.

These are the type of players good ole Freddy used to bring in during the 00's and look where it got us. Do you really want a team full of players who couldn't get games at big clubs and came to Newcastle because they were stupid enough to offer them crazy money? Remember Babayaro, Kluivert, Owen, Duff, Parker, Butt, Rozenhal, Smith, etc?

I actually quite like the transfer policy we have adopted over the past two seasons. Its just a ****ing pity we don't have a manager than can utilise the talent at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bloody hell, he's becoming a parody of himself now:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/402394/Alan-Pardew-Newcastle-are-best-team-outside-Premier-League-s-top-six
    “In our last 15 games, apart from the top six, we were the next best team.”

Paully D wrote: »

Seriously! the mans an Idiot cant believe we're stuck with this moron

• Advertisement

Really is painful to read. I'm pretty sure nufc fans are as embarrassed as everyone else is amused. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement