Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

So the man who bought Kevin Nolan, Ryan Taylor, Peter Lovenkrands and Samuel Adjei and sold Nzogbia and Given is the solution to all our problems, Fcuking super

Pardew is going to love this! Kinnear has final say on signing players and can "get rid of who he wants"

hopefully this is a ploy to make Pardew walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

How would you go about getting rid of a manager with an 8 year contract without having to pay him off?

Pedalstool wrote: »
    How would you go about getting rid of a manager with an 8 year contract without having to pay him off?

he's on a 1 year rolling contract that runs for 8 years

also that would almost certainly be construed as a constructive dismissal. Ashley has already been stung with a similar court case by Keegan, unfortunately its unlikely to be the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Didn't think a club decision in this day and age could leave me truly baffled anymore, BUT.... I mean.... what...why...how...wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

****ing hell it's actually true.

Mike Ashley - the gift that keeps on giving.

He's just called Derek Llambias, David. You couldn't make this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

M5 wrote: »
    he's on a 1 year rolling contract that runs for 8 years

Why do Newcastle fans keep propagating this as fact when not one media source of any substance has verified these claims.

When Pardew was negotiating a new deal Newcastle were flying. Why would he at the time have agreed to essentially a one year rolling contract? That makes no sense. He could have easily negotiated a proper 3/4 year deal but decided to screw himself and take a one year rolling contract? I can't think of any logical reason he would accept a one year rolling contract.

Apart from some very spurious sources I don't see anything of substance from any of the media or anything from the club or Pardew to suggest that's the kind of contract he's on.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I'm a little worried all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow I feel sorry for ye thought it was a joke when I saw it on twitter. Theres just no explanation

opr wrote: »
    Why do Newcastle fans keep propagating this as fact when not one media source of any substance has verified these claims.

When Pardew was negotiating a new deal Newcastle were flying. Why would he at the time have agreed to essentially a one year rolling contract? That makes no sense. He could have easily negotiated a proper 3/4 year deal but decided to screw himself and take a one year rolling contract? I can't think of any logical reason he would accept a one year rolling contract.

Apart from some very spurious sources I don't see anything of substance from any of the media or anything from the club or Pardew to suggest that's the kind of contract he's on.

Opr

Pardew is Ashley's puppet. He knows he's never going to get a better job than Newcastle and was told to sign the deal termed as an 8 year deal in the media to promote stability at the club, but which had a fixed departure fee, and he did.

There's no way on this earth someone like Mike Ashley would pay off an 8 year deal, which would mean he would have to pay millions in double figures to get rid of him. His managerial appointments to date back that up, he just doesn't spend money on them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alan-pardew-pay-off-from-newcastle-united-1503097
    Under-pressure Newcastle boss Alan Pardew would only receive a pay-off in the region of 12 months’ wages if he was to leave St James’ Park despite his eight-year contract, Sunday People Sport understands.

Pardew signed the long contract in September after last season’s heroics and the club – which has seen plenty of managers in recent years – wanted to reward him and signal stability.

But it is believed there is a fixed departure fee should Pardew leave Newcastle for any reason – and this is understood to be for a year’s pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Fair enough it may well all be true. At the time though Ashley was after getting rid of a pretty popular manager to bring in 'his' boy. They were pushing for CL places and Pardew was seen as a genius. You would've thought he held all the cards which makes it so hard to believe he agreed to that kind of a pathetic deal and for it to be marketed to the fans in such a BS way.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is Pardews weakest area....signings? No....

This really doesn't make sense, expect Pardew to be gone by Christmas with Kinnear in as manager.

Paully D wrote: »
    Pardew is Ashley's puppet. He knows he's never going to get a better job than Newcastle and was told to sign the deal termed as an 8 year deal in the media to promote stability at the club, but which had a fixed departure fee, and he did.

There's no way on this earth someone like Mike Ashley would pay off an 8 year deal, which would mean he would have to pay millions in double figures to get rid of him. His managerial appointments to date back that up, he just doesn't spend money on them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alan-pardew-pay-off-from-newcastle-united-1503097

Thx Paully

Newcastle will sign Metz FC's 17-year old Olivier Kemen subject to a medical on a long term contract

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Is Pardews weakest area....signings? No....

This really doesn't make sense, expect Pardew to be gone by Christmas with Kinnear in as manager.

Pardew's signings have been rubbish (Obertan being the stand out one), Carr has been credited with our better ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Wonga, and now this.

I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'm absolutely astounded that in 2013 a Premier League club has hired JOE KINNEAR as Director of Football. JOE KINNEAR!!!
    I'm absolutely astounded that in 2013 a Premier League club has hired JOE KINNEAR as Director of Football. JOE KINNEAR!!!

And yes I quoted myself. That's how flabbergasted I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

the mind boggles..... whats next? Dennis Wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Is joe plan "b" if pardew starts the season badly?

Cant understand why he is there for transfers, what does he know about continental players? He doesnt have a big reputation amongst players ala leonardo, hierro, sammer or zidane

I cant see him offering anything constructive tactically either, he has gotta be a backup, nothing else really makes sense

• Advertisement

Odds for relegation? Worth lumping the loot on now.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/newcastle-united/8779387/kinnear-returns

''It's been an ongoing discussion for about three weeks now. I've been in discussion with David Llam.....David....emmm.....Mike''

It's almost like Charles Insomnia all over again!

:pac::pac::pac:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/newcastle-united/8779387/kinnear-returns

''It's been an ongoing discussion for about three weeks now. I've been in discussion with David Llam.....David....emmm.....Mike''

It's almost like Charles Insomnia all over again!

:pac::pac::pac:

Enjoying yourself?

Himself and Di Canio can form a dual act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Odds for relegation? Worth lumping the loot on now.

14/1 wit PP, tasty price indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

WTF is going on?!

scudzilla wrote: »
    14/1 wit PP, tasty price indeed

Buying money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Lost for words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Not a NUFC fan, but come in sympathy, to think that Estaurine used car salesman dickhead was once touted as a possible Ireland manager, the mind boggles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I'm actually dumbstruck!?!?

Says enough about the man when he's announcing his contract/role/responsabilities before the club have confirmed and before he's spoken to the current manager about those responsabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Good to see Ashley has outdone himself once more :rolleyes:. I dunno, the only thought process I can make sense of is that he wanted to give his ole buddy Joe a nice cushy job. That or Kinnear is one helluva spoofer.

This appointment has actually suppressed my hopes of seeing Pardew get the bullet in the future. As Kinnear will un-doubtedly be his replacement and if not another washed-up manager, out of work and has no right to be managing a PL club.

This hiring is such a kick in the balls. Don't even want to think about what garbage will be brought in to aid Pardew's long kick and rush approach. Relegation won't be too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Was around the stadium on Friday, noticed Shearer's was closed for renovations,

Might be some truth in the rumours it is going to be renamed after Joe,

'The Drink kinnear'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

From the bbc:

Joe Kinnear
    "We were third from bottom when I took over and we were 12th when I had my heart attack," added Kinnear.
    "From there we got relegated. People were trying to implicate me when the club went down. That was a load of rubbish. I've never been a manager of a club that's been relegated [Luton were relegated while he was in charge in 2001]."

LiamoSail wrote: »
    From the bbc:

Joe Kinnear

They were 15th when he took over and had won 4/20 games

spoofer, he'll fit in righty

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Oh good lord what is happening in this club????

This is beyond a joke. Who are they trying to fool, this is turning into an absolute farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what a crazy decision , always sort of liked Joe, but director of football , No , director of a crazy gang perhaps ! - nearly as bad as Tony Pulis becoming director - Newcastles problems are not the calibre of players bought , but the style of football played. The scary thing is Kinnear is reported to have a say on what players depart, Newcastle actually have a good squad of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

"I've never been a manager of a club that's been relegated"

Pards will love that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What is the logic behind this? Fúcking hell.

It really is mind boggling. Maybe this is the reign of mad king ashley.....

"I believe I'm a very good judge of players, a good tactician and I intend to make Newcastle far better than they are now," he said.

"I can see a good player and know a good player and get the right players in for us to be successful. I have no other agenda.

"I know I've got more knowledge than most people at Newcastle as a football manager and I'll bend over backwards to make sure we're successful.

"If I see players at the club right now and I believe they're not good enough to be at Newcastle, I intend to move them on."

"I'm hoping to meet Alan sometime tomorrow to go through the team itself and where it's glaringly clear we need to improve,"

"That will be my job, to find and buy these players. I'm not picking the team, that's what the manager gets paid for. I'm there solely to see he gets the best possible team on the pitch.

"The tactics are down to him. If he wants my ideas, he'll ask for them and I'll answer.

"When the team is put on the pitch, he's in charge of it."

Sweet jebus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

this really smells like a cold tactical manoeuvre to oust Pardew.

there can be no other reason.

if it looks like a duck and walks etc....

Leiva wrote: »

That's exactly the kind of paranoid thinking that a normal manager would have.... but not our Pards, oh no. He won't play into the media's hands on this.
    Anyway, Joe is there to support him, help him clean out his desk and pack his case before leaving him at the bus stop

Leiva wrote: »

Highly doubt it TBH. Ashley has already been stung with a constructive dismissal court case and would be leaving himself wide open to another.

Although perhaps there is something different in Pardews contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I don't think much has changed for Pardew tbh. The players Newcastle have bought and sold since his arrival don't seem to be something you would expect from Pardew.

IMO, Derek (or David to Joe) Llambias was buying players recommended to him by Graham Carr. Pardew may have requested Llambias to bring in players in certain positions, but had very little say in whom they would be.

But as Kinnear has said, DL is a "numbers guy" and Ashley probably wanted to bring in someone with a footballing head and that knew something about the players being brought in. Unfortunately, he chose Kinnear.

So I don't think much has changed for Pardew with regards to transfers. It's his working relationship with Kinnear that will be interesting.

Anyone recall the story Kinnear told about him having to flee Nepal when he was over there because the Crown Prince (who he claimed used to fly him around in his helicopter) had shot the King and Queen. That did actually happen, but 14 years after Kinnear left his position, by which time he was manager of Luton.

I'm still waiting for someone to wake me up.

This can't be reality. Surely.

• Advertisement

He's making a fool of himself on talksport now. Lord save us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

ridiculous stuff:( just didnt realise that crazy s""t like this happens in a multi million business. Bring back keegan!

Cliffnotes:

Called us all drones to the media.
    Rambled on about his "success" at Wimbledon, bringing in players on the cheap and selling them at a profit.
    Claimed he played 'for the best team in the world' at Spurs. He then moments later claimed he had no ego.
    Yohan Cabards, Hatem Ben Athlete, Shola Amebody. Claims and he brought Tim Krul to the club.
    He then claims he can 'open the door to any manager in the world' and ranted about the fans a bit.

Kill me now.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's making a fool of himself on talksport now. Lord save us.

He has to be pissed mate. First having a go at the fans and media and now trying to list off players: Cissy, Ben Afri, Anamebobi, Kebabeye etc. Not to forget Derek Lambasy.

He also says he brought Crawl (Krul) to the club, George Caulkin says he didn't.

He has to be pissed mate. First having a go at the fans and media and now trying to list off players: Cissy, Ben Afri, Anamebobi, Kebabeye etc. Not to forget Derek Lambasy.

He also says he brought Crawl (Krul) to the club, George Caulkin says he didn't.

Yeah he sounded pretty ****faced.

Yet another embarrassment for the club. We should be immune to it by now. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement