Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

4-0 last season and they've only gone and spent 90 odd million.

Not feeling overly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Some reports in France that Thauvin is being looked at us again.The lad is very unhappy with the contract he signed in Feb supposedly! He was one we failed to get over the line at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I'm feeling kind of optimistic tonight, never know what might happen. New era for City too.

On the other hand, Arsenal have made a bid for Yohan Cabaye..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Doocey wrote: »
    On the other hand, Arsenal have made a bid for Yohan Cabaye..

will never happen, they wont pay what we want its wenger making a token gesture to try to appease fans

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

cadete wrote: »
    will never happen, they wont pay what we want its wenger making a token gesture to try to appease fans

Surely they'd be looking for more that Cabaye to appease the fans after their start to the season.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

£20M or so would do it I reckon.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    £20M or so would do it I reckon.
    maybe 20 would have on friday but they will know arsenal under pressure to sign players so the price will have gone up ala carroll

As an aside I see Pardew is bitching about City's spending power.

'We just can't compete with them.'

What about Southampton, Norwich, Swansea and Cardiff then Pardew? We are being outspent by the likes of them for fuucks sake! Inexcusable. :mad:

Southampton paid 15m for Osvaldo, Norwich spent money on van Wolfswinkel. Why on earth haven't we? :mad:

The more I think about this poxy club the more infuriated I get.

Seriously? I'd say there's a very good chance it will happen.

As an aside I see Pardew is bitching about City's spending power.

'We just can't compete with them.'

What about Southampton, Norwich, Swansea and Cardiff then Pardew? We are being outspent by the likes of them for fuucks sake! Inexcusable. :mad:

Southampton paid 15m for Osvaldo, Norwich spent money on van Wolfswinkel. Why on earth haven't we? :mad:

The more I think about this poxy club the more infuriated I get.

I know where you're coming from, but I just don't get this transfer spend competition that all fans seem eager to win.

NUFC will part with decent money for a good player by their reckoning. £8m Gomis in final year of contract was a signal of that, £7m for Vurnon Anita the season before as well.

Southampton have spent massive money on Osvaldo - worth the gamble? Only time will tell.

There's no point spending big money on players if they are not to Carr's fancy/just because others are spending.

We need a couple of players yes, but no point panicking about it and spending close to £20m on someone with no Premier League experience.

It's almost childish crying about teams outspending us!

• Advertisement

Southampton have spent massive money on Osvaldo - worth the gamble? Only time will tell.

There's no point spending big money on players if they are not to Carr's fancy/just because others are spending.

We need a couple of players yes, but no point panicking about it and spending close to £20m on someone with no Premier League experience.

It's almost childish crying about teams outspending us!

Bull****. EVERYONE knows our squad was paper thin last season and we're actually weaker now.

I don't want them to spend cash for the hell of it. I want our supposed world renowned scout and his team to do their damn jobs and find suitable players.

The players are out there. We just have to show some ambition and spend the damn cash. 52,000 fans every week, increased TV money, where is that all going??? :confused:

Do you think it's acceptable that the likes of Southampton and Norwich are investing and we are not? If you stand still in this business, you go backwards. Look at Arsenal. Look at us last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Seriously? I'd say there's a very good chance it will happen.

So do I. Can see Cabaye pushing for it also.

I don't get where people are going with Cabaye being worth £20 odd million. Based on his performances last season and that he will be 28 in 4 months, I think we would be doing well to get £12m for him.

Bull****. EVERYONE knows our squad was paper thin last season and we're actually weaker now.

I don't want them to spend cash for the hell of it. I want our supposed world renowned scout and his team to do their damn jobs and find suitable players.

The players are out there. We just have to show some ambition and spend the damn cash. 52,000 fans every week, increased TV money, where is that all going??? :confused:

Do you think it's acceptable that the likes of Southampton and Norwich are investing and we are not? If you stand still in this business, you go backwards. Look at Arsenal. Look at us last season.

You seem as if you're surprised by the way in which this summer window has panned out?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

SSN reporting bid of £10 million for Cabaye rejected by Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll be honest lads, I feel sorry for Pardew here. I really don't think he has any control over transfer dealings. It has to be frustrating for him.

You seem as if you're surprised by the way in which this summer window has panned out?

I'm not at all surprised. It is in in fact depressingly predictable.

And I agree with TG, I would be placing the blame at JFK and Ashleys door here.

Funny how this can all be traced back to that 8 year fuucking contract.

TaosHum wrote: »
    So do I. Can see Cabaye pushing for it also.

I don't get where people are going with Cabaye being worth £20 odd million. Based on his performances last season and that he will be 28 in 4 months, I think we would be doing well to get £12m for him.

really u would accept 12m for him? look at fernandinho for city 35 odd mill i dont even think he has a full brazil cap and cabaye a starting french international is worth only 12? :confused:

Cabaye is one of those players that some NUFC fans will realise he's a far better player than they thought he was.

He's worth £20m in my book, every day of the week.

If he's not as good as some people think, why are PSG, Arsenal, and United all after him? Never a £12m man.

I'm not at all surprised. It is in in fact depressingly predictable.

And I agree with TG, I would be placing the blame at JFK and Ashleys door here.

Funny how this can all be traced back to that 8 year fuucking contract.

Absolutely, no doubt about that. Ashley has little ambition for Newcastle United as a club.

My point is, we can't be expecting unrealistic transfer dealings? We're never going to splash £15m on a 27 year-old.

We might spend £12m here or there on someone who has the potential to be another Cabaye.

The players bought are financial investments at the end of the day, and MA will sell if he gets a healthy return.

Sadly, that's the way he rolls.

really u would accept 12m for him? look at fernandinho for city 35 odd mill i dont even think he has a full brazil cap and cabaye a starting french international is worth only 12? :confused:

If City want to over-pay for a player, then fair enough. Same with Arsenal. But Cabaye's performances last season don't merit £10m, let alone £20m. He hasn't shown anything near the form he can play at since the end of the 2012 season.

I base his valuation at £12m based on how good he can be and how good he has been over the past 12 months. If Ashley thinks he can get £20m for him, then fair enough, but he won't get it. Considering Newcastle bought him for £5m, I think a £7m profit would be very business.

• Advertisement

our whole side has been poor over the last 12 months, if we had messi in our side im sure pardew could have made him look ordinary aswell, when the side was performing well cabaye looked like a proper superstar no doubt about it, and wenger wouldnt be bidding for him unless he thought he would improve his side
    I honestly think cabaye is worth alot more than 12m and arsenals bid is in really bad taste and nothing more than an attempt to unsettle the player

Cabaye is one of those players that some NUFC fans will realise he's a far better player than they thought he was.

He's worth £20m in my book, every day of the week.

If he's not as good as some people think, why are PSG, Arsenal, and United all after him? Never a £12m man.

Only team that we know has placed a bid for him is Arsenal. Blanc seems to admire him, but PSG haven't bid for him, either have United. Considering how much money PSG have, if they wanted him bad enough, then they would have got him.

If Cabaye was still playing at the level he was playing at for most of 2012, then I agree 100% he would be worth £20m. But he hasn't been for over a season now. At the moment, he's over-rated by most Newcastle fans.

I haven't rated him at all for the past year. I wouldn't be too disappointed with £15m provided we replace him(hah!).

He's a good player but he goes missing far too often in games. I definitely feel that Pardew doesn't get the best of him though. It's defend first and create second the way he's been used at Newcastle. I'd expect him to do well at Arsenal and wouldn't blame him for leaving at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Arsenal's bid for Cabaye is absolutely insulting. To be honest, I expect nothing less from a club with no class. Couldn't have come at a worst time either, Cabaye's mind won't be on the game at all tonight.

Hey at least we have some activity in here!

Football is back!

Yay?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What's that black/white half and half kit Cabaye is wearing on the BBC football homepage? It's not Newcastle's new home kit is it? It's class.
    Seannew1 wrote: »
    Arsenal's bid for Cabaye is absolutely insulting. To be honest, I expect nothing less from a club with no class. Couldn't have come at a worst time either, Cabaye's mind won't be on the game at all tonight.
    Titter.

What's that black/white half and half kit Cabaye is wearing on the BBC football homepage? It's not Newcastle's new home kit is it? It's class.

Special kit they wore in the friendly vs Braga there lately. Tribute for SBR.

And yeah, it's a stunning kit. Much rather they use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Seannew1 wrote: »

No class? What do you base that on?

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »

possibly the fact that the bid is nothing more than an attempt to unsettle the player and on a matchday aswell

I always thought wenger was better than a stunt like this, lowball offer complete lack of class and respect. are we so lowly we should accept an offer from arsenal just because Mr. Wenger believes that is his value :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

possibly the fact that the bid is nothing more than an attempt to unsettle the player and on a matchday aswell

I always thought wenger was better than a stunt like this, lowball offer complete lack of class and respect. are we so lowly we should accept an offer from arsenal just because Mr. Wenger believes that is his value :mad:
    Its an opening bid for a player who by all accounts was very average last season. To call the club classless is an absolute ridiculous statement to make.

Its an opening bid for a player who by all accounts was very average last season. To call the club classless is an absolute ridiculous statement to make.

Far from it, a full french international for 10 million who are they kidding, and to leak the story aswell!

2 weeks ago he talks about how he likes to keep transfer business private and talks about respect! what a difference a game makes!
    http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-08-04/wenger-wants-to-keep-arsenal-transfer-business-private-but-admits-bid-for-suarez/

Lads, calling out Arsenal for sticking in a low offer is ridiculous. We are the stingiest club in the business for this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

You have a manager who claims that he always conducts his transfer business the "correct way". How can that claim be justified given the club's behaviour in the transfer market in the past couple of weeks with Suarez and now with Cabaye? Making a bid for a player on matchday for the first match of the season is nothing short of unprofessionalism too. And also, Arsenal played Everton 10 million for Arteta, it's completely beyond me why Wenger merits Cabaye as the same value.

Making bids for players. Ludicrous behaviour alright.

• Advertisement

Making bids forArsenal signing players. Ludicrous behaviour alright.

Fixed that for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

They paid 10 million for a 29 year old Arteta who was pretty much past his best at everton imo. Cabaye is a better player than Arteta was then and 2 years younger and a full international wheras Arteta never got a sniff of a full Spain cap. 20 million at least I reckon.

Paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The transfer window is open. A bid was made. You either reject or accept it, end of story. Really no need to get offended by it.

At the end of the day Arsenal are looking at a player who is a full French international, coming into the prime of his career, superior to most of Arsenal's midfielders.
    You won't get a France regular for £10m.

The 'Nal would be better off pursuing Clement Grenier, potential to be a magnificent player and could probably get him for decent money.

As for the timing of the bid, a bit disrespectful indeed, but you know well it's Cabaye's camp that made it public. As for Wenger, he's just trying to look as if he's making serious transfer enquiries immediately after the Villa humiliation (Monday, working day)

If I was to call it - Cabaye won't go anywhere this window, unless someone offers £20m, and that's unlikely. Certainly not Arsenal anyway.

Who knows, such speculation could drive Cabaye on tonight to perform in a standout manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How dare Arsenal bid for a Newcastle player. Outrageous carry on.

Yeah I don't get why people are upset either?

Unless they've broken some rules or illegally approached the player I don't see the problem? Not ideal obviously but thats football.

Who exactly is upset over it? :pac:

Squad is already waaayyy to thin without loosing Cabaye. It would not be a disaster if we had a couple of bodies in, but we dont and selling would make certain of a slog of a season were we would be relying on others to do worse than us in order to survive

Yeah I don't get why people are upset either?

Unless they've broken some rules or illegally approached the player I don't see the problem? Not ideal obviously but thats football.

Yeah i was upset over it, having calmed since,
    the timing and the offer are terrible for nufc, to think that we would accept a bid like that is really bad form. If they wish to buy the guy fair enough but at least start the negotiations at a fair amount, cabs is without doubt in the same bracket as fellani or mccarthy(both valued by their clubs around 20million) so offer 15 mill at least and go from there.
    A 10 million offer is just so below his market price it will do nothing more than unsettle the player, and cause disruption to our club.

I might not like how things are run at the club right now but i still want us to be successful and dont want to see us bullied into selling probably our best player at a price so low

Few whispers suggesting Cabaye has been pulled out/not named in tonight's squad.

Could be bull, but hardly surprising if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Few whispers suggesting Cabaye has been pulled out/not named in tonight's squad.

Could be bull, but hardly surprising if true.

Its bad form if the player has pulled it, if its the club then its a big sign they are open for business on a deal.

Some media outlets are say it was a 12m sterling offer or more, I think a deal will be done about 18m if both parties are interested

no cabaye in the squad

Looking quite disrespectful from Arsenal now.

Ah well, not suprised I'm sure his head has been turned, and pardew decided to leave him out
    If he wants to go so be it I just hope it's to Psg, maybe we could get a deal including sahko,
    Rotten start to our season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement