Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Thought's on last nights game fwiw.

Positives

- First win of the new season :D:pac:
    - Sammy Ameobi was excellent I though. His game seems to have developed from last season and his decision making has improved. Deserves a couple of first team games to see if he can actually play at the top.
    - Shola might be ordinary at PL level, but he can be very effective against Championship and lower. Proved that again last night, as he gave the Morecambe defenders much more trouble than Gouffran did.
    - Defensively, Gosling was quite good, but offered little in possession.
    - Marveaux's set pieces I though were excellent and gave Morecambe alot of problems. If on the pitch, Marv has to take all set pieces.

Negatives

- No pressure on Morecambe when in possession. Stood off them and let them pick us apart at will. Only reason they were not as effective in the second was because Shola made the ball stick more up top and they got tired.
    - Vuckic was awful. Never showed anything on the ball and was a mere passenger. Needs a loan spell to get some matches under his belt and regain confidence.
    - MYM was dreadful in possession and nearly cost Newcastle on numerous occasions. For a French international defender, that was very worrying.
    - Long balls and slowing the game down on free kicks, kickouts, etc very prevalent, which is very disappointing to see against a team of Morecambe's caliber.
    - Couldn't keep possession and they controlled the game, which is not easy to watch. Bigi, Gosling, MYM, Gouffran, Vuckic, all guilty giving away possession on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So who would you go for on Saturday V Fulham?

Personally I'd go with this:
    Krul

Santon --- Colo --- Williamson --- Dummett

Ben Arfa --- Anita --- Sissoko --- Marveaux

Gouffran --- Cisse

I think it's clear to everyone (except Pardew) that Debuchy has been absolutely dreadful over the last while. His pre season was dreadful, he was awful against West Ham (not going to single him out against City because everyone had a mare that night) and his positioning last night was comical.

Santon at RB is something I've wanted to see for quite a while now to be honest just as a change up.

MYM looked far from confident last night against Morecambe and his decision making was mind boggling. A better attacking threat from Fulham will punish him and rightly so. I really am not Williamson's biggest fan but he's pretty no nonsense a lot of the time. As much as I hate hoof ball I think he'd be better suited to this type of game.

Dummett impressed me again last night. It wasn't exactly flashy but his crossing was rather good and always looked to overlap on attacks. His pace is quite good and he kept Navas quiet enough in the game V City that time.

I'd have Anita in ahead of Tiote right now. He looked decent against West Ham and offers something different to Cheik who is essentially a battering ram and is liable to cost us a game. Anita's distribution was slightly questionable but it's nice to see him making an effort in bringing the ball out and playing on the ground instead of just pinging long balls up with no sense of direction.

I quite like Marveaux and I was tempted to say put Sammy in ahead of him but the latter didn't work particularly well with Dummett last night. Always seemed to be getting in each others way a fair bit. I'd have Marveaux ahead of him. He's not that flashy but he offers a little more of a threat going forward and his crossing from corners was exceptional last night.

If Remy was fully fit to play on Saturday, I'd have him in ahead of Cisse and make him question his place. He has it in his head now that he's a nailed on starter and has done fúck all for us. A change up with Remy in ahead of him might buck up his ideas somewhat. I'd say that Remy will start on the bench more likely.

I think he will play the same side that drew with West Ham.

TaosHum wrote: »
    I think he will play the same side that drew with West Ham.

:(

From George Caulkin:

Pardew: "what I have said to Yohan Cabaye is I expect him to play this weekend." Is he receptive? "I think so but we'll have to wait & see."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

some rumours that shola is in talks with whu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He'd want to get a fuucking grip and play.

He's a disgrace.

M5 wrote: »
    some rumours that shola is in talks with whu

Might explain why Allardyce was wedged into that seat last night.

With Eto'o on his way to Chelsea, really hope we can re-sign or loan Ba.

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Would be very surprised if Ba came back, rather, if he had any desire to come back.

He did his job for us and closed that chapter in his career. Wouldn't be my priority, but at this stage I would take him.

Still think Gomis will arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Not overly pushed on Ba or Gomis, I have the feeling with both being 6ft + it will only cement our lump it forward tactics. I really think a change of manager might help! Not gonna happen thou and if it does, pardew will be replaced by another yes man. Oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I thought we'd got ourselves some cracking players in Debuchy & Yanga Mbiwa but I've yet to see anything to show either of these are good enough for the Premier League, Mbiwa didn't even look good enough for League 2 last night. The January signings have had long enough now to adjust to the team and the league so really need to start performing.

Carr identifies cracking players, we sign them, they look great for a few weeks/months then through a combination of poor management, coaching and tactics, they play like sh*t.

Where is the Cabaye from 2011/12. What happened to the Papa Cisse who exploded onto the scene with a goal a game in 2012? Why does Sissoko, who looked so powerful and direct on his debut against Villa, look so ordinary now?

Why so many are proven International footballers playing so badly? They weren't **** when we bought them and I suspect that they won't be **** when they next represent their countries.

Something is rotten in the state of Toon.

And I wouldn't play Cabaye, he'll get a shocking reception and I'd worry that it will disrupt other players and just make the atmosphere on Saturday even worse than it is going to be already.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I thought we'd got ourselves some cracking players in Debuchy & Yanga Mbiwa but I've yet to see anything to show either of these are good enough for the Premier League, Mbiwa didn't even look good enough for League 2 last night. The January signings have had long enough now to adjust to the team and the league so really need to start performing.

Carr identifies cracking players, we sign them, they look great for a few weeks/months then through a combination of poor management, coaching and tactics, they play like sh*t.

Where is the Cabaye from 2011/12. What happened to the Papa Cisse who exploded onto the scene with a goal a game in 2012? Why does Sissoko, who looked so powerful and direct on his debut against Villa, look so ordinary now?

Why so many are proven International footballers playing so badly? They weren't **** when we bought them and I suspect that they won't be **** when they next represent their countries.

Something is rotten in the state of Toon.

And I wouldn't play Cabaye, he'll get a shocking reception and I'd worry that it will disrupt other players and just make the atmosphere on Saturday even worse than it is going to be already.

I have been shouting exactly the same thing from the rooftops since March. The Pardew effect!

You can add Tiote to that list too.

It seem that Pardew decided to change everything when he got his new deal. Perhaps the Manager of the year award went to his head? He is certainly scrambling to recover now. We have recently reverted to 4:4:2.... Sounds to me like he hopes to regain form by returning to the tactics that served us so well before the adoption of long ball.

It depends. If he plays well people won't care but if he does one of his 'Hollow Man' acts then it'll turn nasty fast. It's a gamble either way.

The reason I'd like to see Ba back is because when everyone else was getting injured or playing ****, he was the only one working his bollox off and scoring goals. I know having a big striker only give more reason for Pardew to lump balls up to him, but I'd have someone who can hold their own, than Cisse who is shocking in the air or Ameobi whose general play is very ordinary.

It's probably all academic because Ba probably won't return, but I'd love to see him back.

Anita has to start ahead of Cabaye tomorrow. After the way he's acted and the way he's gone about things, he will be walking into a very hostile environment.

Cabaye's a good player but he should not be allowed to think that he's a guaranteed starter. It's a big "fúck you" to Anita who was absolutely shafted last year despite being our best player in the early part of the season.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anita has to start ahead of Cabaye tomorrow. After the way he's acted and the way he's gone about things, he will be walking into a very hostile environment.

Cabaye's a good player but he should not be allowed to think that he's a guaranteed starter. It's a big "fúck you" to Anita who was absolutely shafted last year despite being our best player in the early part of the season.

I don't think there would be much anomosity toward Cabaye, considering he is the "leader" of the French contingent at Newcastle, which makes up a hefty chunk of the dressing room.

Absolutely agree regarding Anita. Would quite like to see a three man midfield of Anita-Cabaye-Sissoko. But if Cabaye were to start ahead of Anita, then I wouldn't blame Anita for telling Pardew to **** off and handing in a transfer request.

It would be very unfair to drop Anita. He's in the team on merit atm imo. At least when he has the ball or when he's near an opponent with the ball im not terrified he'll do something retarded, unlike Tiote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Latest words of wisdom from Pardew...

"There is still a lot of uncertainty in the transfer window, who is to say that if Fellaini leaves Everton, they won't come in for Ben Arfa"

Probably because they're two totally different players.

I think he's lost the plot.

I think he probably lost it a good year or so ago.

• Advertisement

Latest words of wisdom from Pardew...

"There is still a lot of uncertainty in the transfer window, who is to say that if Fellaini leaves Everton, they won't come in for Ben Arfa"

Probably because they're two totally different players.

I think he's lost the plot.

I think he probably lost it a good year or so ago.

Another attempt to flog a player. He has been Hawking Cabaye all summer!

Ten million bid on for thauvin. I heard rumours of that a while back. Exciting player. He seems to want to join OM though

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Ameobi is starting.....why does Pardew continue to put us through this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Delighted Cabs isn't starting, was sure he would've been. Would've preferred Sammy or Gouffran upfront, though.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Ameobi is starting.....why does Pardew continue to put us through this....

I think he has realised that 442 is the way to go. We need a target man for that. As Remy is unavailable it has to be Shola. A damning indictment of our depth...

Bent will surely score today :(

Good Start!

Bright start! Sissoko is looking sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

im not sure if its poor start from fulham or a bright one for newcastle but its enjoyable to watch at least :pac:

Where was the support for Sissoko???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know he's actually looked fairly lively so far today, but is Ben Arfa overweight? He looks huge.

Said the same at the Citeh game. Looks like he has been on the pies over the Summer, alright.

Could also have added some muscle mass.

Playing better today, some passes and through balls coming off, unlike WHU where we never looked lik stringing 3 passes together. Still not enough real penetration though. Fulham also countering quite well, or at least keeping our defenders on their toes

Need to get the ball moving a little faster round the area. Seem to be taking 1/2 too many touches inside the 25 yard "line".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

a definite improvement it seems.. we have had more than one shot on target also, still no clinical finishing move/pass however

Cisse.....!

• Advertisement

Jesus, the Fulham long ball is having a very high success rate

Fulham in the game now...

Debuchy fortunate there!!!! He looks liek giving a penalty away pretty much every game

Shola and Marv for Remy and Cabaye at HT please

Anita having another good game!

Ordinary enough. No cutting edge, Cisse awful as usual. Mapou has been very good. Apart from no one else standing out for me.

• Advertisement

That high line is going to cost us

Dont think I have ever seen Colo so far up the pitch so regularly!

Forwards are not helping the MF at all, standing beside each other or just standing still

Cabaye getting a fairly mixed reception while warming up

Remy cant come on soon enough. Hopefully he c an get 15-20mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Ben Arfa will pull something out of the bag to win it, although Remy will be dangerous when he comes on too.

AGH!!! Great blocks :(

Ameobi is fcuking useless, second touch is either a header or a tackle

Gouffran?

Cabaye booed and clapped politely!

And why take off Anita?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement