Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

No one here mentioned champions league or anything remotely like it. Giving it half a go would be nice though....

Everton are a comparable club. Why would you settle for less?

We wasted a chance when we finished fifth and this year to invest in a couple of decent players to attempt to push on. We almost got relegated because of it. This season will also be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I think people could take the selling of our top players if the money was reinvested in the squad immediatly rather than coming out of transfer windows weaker than we went in.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I think people could take the selling of our top players if the money was reinvested in the squad immediatly rather than coming out of transfer windows weaker than we went in.

That would be a start for sure.... selling club, fine, but having an agreement in place to sell your best player and not signing anyone is at the very least negligent. I fear however it's more than negligence, it's profit taking.

Nufc.com reporting that cisse is being sold to Ruben kazan.

Just as well we have so many options up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

As a nufc fan for many years I feel that I am being realistic in my expectations for the club. When Ashley first arrived I fully bought into the idea that we would be ran in the same manner as arsenal, ie that we would about for promising players in Europe and the North east and grow the club organically in that way.

What has happened since, and the areas where I have the biggest problem is not or signings, but the constant pillaging of our best players with pardew in the media constantly putting our players in the shop windows with statements like "I hope we can hold onto tiote, cable, Carroll et al" is just demoralising really.
    While some of the players we have sold in part seasons have turned out not to be world beaters (Jose Enrique, Andy Carroll, yohan cabaye etc) they were at the time of the sale key players. We will never go forward if we sell or prize assets, particularly if the money isn't going back or on new players.
    I think its going to take a major change in the club to offer some hope to fans, I know it's great that the club is on a better financial footing but at the end of the day in a fan not an accountant and I want to see the club playing good football and competing to the best of its abilities, this guy Ashley has tainted the whole club for me and I for one am considering investing my time and money elsewhere until major change had occurred. perhaps a la Liga team might be nice to support until this clown has Rode off into the sunset with his bags full of fans cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Mike Ashley's net worth is over TWO BILLION.

Read back through the thread, people's expectations are quite reasonable.

Is it unrealistic to expect some investment in the club on players we desperately need?

Is it unrealistic to hope for a good cup run when Wigan, Sunderland, Swansea, Bradford, Spurs and others have all done it in recent years? Or for the management to even give a **** about it?

Is it unrealistic to hope that our players will improve, not regress as so many of them have done?

Is it unrealistic to expect the team to show a semblance of pride against our local rivals and not be EASILY defeated THREE STRAIGHT TIMES.

You and Doocey need to get your head out of the ****ing sand. A handful of decent results in what is a truly awful standard of EPL does not equal fine.

Worst of all is I don't care anymore.

Ashley has two billion in ASSETS. Do you know what that means? It means that Ashley owns things that are worth two billion. In order to have two billion CASH, he would have to sell all if his assets, ie Sports Direct, etc. By contrast, Man City's owners probably have two billion CASH, in their wallet. So, we are not mega rich. And Ashley is a businessman, not an oil baron with a toy to invest his pocket change in.

You lot act as if the club is in a major crisis. Christ, I'd hate to see ye if there was a real one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ashley has two billion in ASSETS. Do you know what that means? It means that Ashley owns things that are worth two billion. In order to have two billion CASH, he would have to sell all if his assets, ie Sports Direct, etc. By contrast, Man City's owners probably have two billion CASH, in their wallet. So, we are not mega rich. And Ashley is a businessman, not an oil baron with a toy to invest his pocket change in.

You lot act as if the club is in a major crisis. Christ, I'd hate to see ye if there was a real one.

I've been a supporter 22 years. I've seen real crisis. I've seen the club dancing over the trap door. I've seen relegation. I've seen us lose to Wigan reserves with a full strength side. I've seen Ardilles, Gullit, Daglish, Souness and any other failures you can care to mention.

The difference was I actually cared about the club then. I've never had an apathy and indifference towards Newcastle United like I have right now. Everything is so utterly devoid of joy involving this football club right now.

And yes I am aware of what ASSETS vs CASH means. Doesn't excuse his apparent refusal to invest any money on the football team.

Wigan
    POrtsmouth
    Everton
    Swansea
    Birmingham
    Spurs
    Middlesboro
    Blackburn
    Leicester City
    Villa

Thats a list of teams that have won cups since the PL started. If your not in you cant win! But i guess we should not be attempting to compete with them! Much higher level! :rolleyes:

M5 wrote: »
    Wigan
    POrtsmouth
    Swansea
    Birmingham
    Middlesboro
    Blackburn
    Leicester City
    Villa

I would take our current situation over any of the above.

Thats not my point! they have actually TRIED to win a cup, we cant be bothered. In fact we look to be actively avoiding success (or at least the EL)

• Advertisement

That's not the point.

If Wigan weren't distracted by the FA cup, they might still be in the PL.

Which would they rather now?

If Wigan weren't distracted by the FA cup, they might still be in the PL.

Which would they rather now?

And the rest?

*again thats completely beside the point. We are absolutely miles away from relegation and could have completely focused on the FA cup with no danger of relegation, we didnt!

And the rest?

*again thats completely beside the point. We are absolutely miles away from relegation and could have completely focused on the FA cup with no danger of relegation, we didnt!

Nope, its completely the point. You can pretend it isn't, if it makes you feel better.

Nope, its completely the point. You can pretend it isn't, if it makes you feel better.

You again address half my point.... you can ignore that too if it makes you feel better!

Anyone see some retards are calling for people to mass unattend matches?

Yeah, that'll learn em. I swear, I love this sport, but the fans...

Makes much more sense than not craving success TBH IMO

Seriously though, aside from all the stuff going on now, do you maintain its not realistic for NUFC to attempt to compete with Everton or Spurs in terms of ambition or success?

Seriously though, do you maintain its not realistic for NUFC to attempt to compete with Everton or Spurs in terms of ambition or success?

In terms of development, we are years behind them. Remember, they have been building towards their current state for over five years, maybe ten. You really need to factor that into your thinking. We recently got promoted. And, despite your misgivings, we have built a *decent* squad, although we lost Cabaye. We could have recruited in Jan, but it probably would have been a panic buy, and why do that when the season is over anyway? (See what panic buys did to Spurs!)

Now, if we reach the summer, and no players are bought? I will join you in protest. If we invest well, in the right areas, then we take a step closer to Spurs/Everton.

In terms of development, we are years behind them. Remember, they have been building towards their current state for over five years, maybe ten. You really need to factor that into your thinking. We recently got promoted. And, despite your misgivings, we have built a *decent* squad, although we lost Cabaye. We could have recruited in Jan, but it probably would have been a panic buy, and why do that when the season is over anyway? (See what panic buys did to Spurs!)

Now, if we reach the summer, and no players are bought? I will join you in protest. If we invest well, in the right areas, then we take a step closer to Spurs/Everton.

That was the plan that was allegedly implemented 5 years ago by MA... It has failed.

No signings when we finished 5th, No signings last summer and none this window should make it perfectly clear that there is no desire to challenge those clubs

EDIT: Oh and we finished 5th more recently than being promoted!!

Second edit. Cabaye had an agreement to leave in January. There was ample time to source a replacement. No panic buy required at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

We will likely sell Ben arfa santon and colo this summer aswell so aside from having only 1 striker and selling our best midfielder we possibly will need to replace the above aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I'd say krul will be next out the door! pardew will spend the summer hawking him for the best price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pardew obviously unimpressed by the owners refusal to spend but isn't going to hang himself by giving out about them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-vs-sunderland-alan-pardew-3107385#.Uu91O_l_vsY

Pighead wrote: »
    Pardew obviously unimpressed by the owners refusal to spend but isn't going to hang himself by giving out about them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-vs-sunderland-alan-pardew-3107385#.Uu91O_l_vsY

He's part of the problem then....

thats a disgraceful way to act in fairness. As per usual the club ignores any contentious questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jaysus. That article doesn't make for nice reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

good_news_everyone.png

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20140203/club-statement-joe-kinnear_2281670_3652469
    Newcastle United can confirm that Joe Kinnear has this evening resigned from his position as Director of Football with immediate effect.

The Club will be making no further comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

A candidate for the least surprising loss of job in 2014.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20140203/club-statement-joe-kinnear_2281670_3652469

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He'll have been told to jump before he is pushed to get a bit of support back from the fans after the derby defeat.

• Advertisement

Kinnear gone?!?!?

Please do not f*€k with my head!!

Hmm, I wonder how that panned out. Did Pardew make a stand? Is Ashley planning more changes?

Some good news at least.

Dennis Wise in next I wonder? :pac:

personally ... i reckon we need a foreign DoF.

How about Graham Carr?

How about Graham Carr?

but will we be able to get a scout as good as him then?

• Advertisement

but will we be able to get a scout as good as him then?

I guess not. He would be good though.

personally ... i reckon we need a foreign DoF.

I thought there wasn't going to be one after the Dennis Wise shambles. Who knows anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Did Pardew make a stand?

Not a chance in hell of it being that. Pardew is just delighted he has the job. He wouldn't dare do or say anything to rock the boat.

Delighted with the news, we will need a new dof or chief exec im sure,
    Ginola as dof any1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Hopefully that means of pardew leaves our gets sacked Kinnear wouldn't be his replacement

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote: »
    Hopefully that means of pardew leaves our gets sacked Kinnear wouldn't be his replacement

Because that would be too wacky, even for us...... right?

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Best news in ages.....
    Goodbye Joe. Director of football with 0 permanent signings. Absolute joke.
    Anyway, lets move on and try and finish off the season in a good position

Maybe i'm too Cynical...

Stories doing the rounds yesterday that 500+ season tickets were canceled. Get the feeling that this is a PR exercise. The proof of the pudding will be who is the replacement. If its another lackey that will be confirmed.

We all know who the puppet master is! JFK is just a guy who took a great job offer!

1 down, 2 to go.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    1 down, 2 to go.

Who would replace Pardew? Realistic options only, meaning managers who are available and willing to work at a club of our stature.

Who would replace Pardew? Realistic options only, meaning managers who are available and willing to work at a club of our stature.

Laudrup? :)

I'd take him in a heart beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Martin Jol anyone?

Yes please.
    Healio wrote: »
    Martin Jol anyone?

Lord no.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Laudrup would be a great one to take over...... And then Pardew could become director of football.
    Then everyone wins

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement