Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Expectuing 21 names in your squad unless I miscalculated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That club statement has seriously boiled my fúcking piss.

Somebody posted this in the "Contact Us" section of the official Newcastle website.

Dear Mr Llambias,

I am a 41yr old, slightly out of shape, short of cash, Newcastle United fan. I would love to play for Newcastle United. If I was allowed to pull on that black and white shirt I promise that there would be no lack of trying on my part.

I would be an absolute bargain as I would sign for only £1000 per week and as I said, I would try really hard for the team.

My football skills aren't really up to Premier League standards. To be perfectly honest, they are probably not up to kick about in the park standards anymore but that aside I would try really hard. There would be no shortage of effort from me on the pitch.

If the criteria for signing players is whether or not they would try their best then I look forward to your contract offer.

If, however, your criteria for signing players is that they will not only try hard but also have the ability to actually do the job for which they are paid then I would like to ask when these criteria will also be applied to the person whose job it was to attract a top class striker to the club this summer? I would like to thank that person for the fact that "it was not for lack of trying" that we did not sign that striker. However, if that person receives a wage for doing that job then perhaps it is time to find somebody who has the competence to do the job to go along with their efforts?

Personally, I am hoping that it is not down to competence and only relies on effort as I could really use that £1000 a week. I may not be the best person for the role, but I do feel that my willingness to put personal greed in front of what was best for results on the pitch would allow me to fit in very well at the club.

I look forward to your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Same old recycled statement. We tried - just didnt work out. Fooling nobody - absolute w'ankers!

Taking the p'iss out of supporters saying that stuff is worse than not spending the money. serious lack of respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

From NUFCblog.org
    Let’s say I need a new car. I want something young, reliable and capable of going on for a decent spell without breaking down. So I go along to a car dealer and spot a nice two year-old Beemer priced at £20k. Okay, so it’s not an Aston, but neither is a it a clapped out 2CV. So I go up to the car dealer and say “Hello chief,” for he was once a Red Indian, “surely you can do me a better price than £20k.”

So we haggle a bit and I get him down to £19,800. But here’s the thing: I am of the opinion that cars simply cost too much in general. I have decided that this Beemer is only worth £12k, regardless of what the market says, and I unilaterally take it upon myself to correct the overinflated car prices in the market. I stubbornly stick to my £12k offer and refuse to budge, so of course the car dealer eventually tells me to sling my hook and gets mechanics Bob and Jerry to rough me up a little on the way out for my cheek.
    Never mind, I stuck to my principles, eh?.

Ah, wait a minute though. I now have to walk to work or catch what laughably falls under the guise of public transport here in the sticks. My kids have to walk to school. Barefoot, because I happen to think shoes are overpriced too. My wife upped sticks and ran off with the postman even though I told her I did try to buy a car, my sheep died of mange, my left leg fell off and my house was swallowed up by a passing black hole.

Woe is me and woeful am I. Perhaps I’ll have another crack at that car in January.

From Goal.com
    Freiburg sporting director Dirk Dufner has revealed that Newcastle United made an offer for striker Papiss Cisse in the closing stages of the summer transfer window.

The Premier League outfit were eager to add a new attacker to their squad before the window slammed shut, but they failed to lure Cisse away from his current club as Freiburg were not impressed with their offer.

"For starters, Newcastle United's offer was not high enough in our opinion and secondly, it was impossible for us to adequately deal with his departure so short for the transfer window closed," Dufner said to Kicker.

Well i guess they tried! :rolleyes:

Also I hear the club are planning to sell Lingerie. That will hopefully make up for the money lost in flogging Barton on a free.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Seems to be enjoying himself anyway. Wonder what he is going to spend the Carroll money on. Some clothes maybe :confused:

While I hate the fúcker, if he wants to go out and strip he's fully entitled to do it. It's his time/money and unfortunately he can do what he wants with it.

• Advertisement

From Twitter:

@stevewraith
    Before Blackburn game east stand will read (puma logo) sportsdirect newcastle united sports direct (puma logo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The new stadium makeover:

392283549.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I actually hope Pardew puts Santon on the bench on monday,the lad has fantastic potential but I'm not sure about throwing him in straight away,not sure if Barton will start on the right for them,wright philips is short of match practise so ryan taylor should be grand at left back again.Barton hardly has pace to burn and wright philips is a shadow of the player he once was so ryan should be grand and he always has the free kick in his locker!! wouldn't mind seeing Ba and best starting up front too........

Blah blah blah commitment, blah blah, sound financial footing, blah blah, unwarranted criticism, blah blah blah, complicated business, blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Couldn't care too much about the adverts; he owns the club and he can advertise on it if he likes I suppose! Always going to be known as St.James' Park though and as long as we're doing well on the pitch I'm happy.

nufc.com are saying that Ranger has been arrested again. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cabaye and Tiote will make a show of Barton tomorrow........well i hope anyway

That_Guy wrote: »

Drink driving is what I've heard.

He's apparently on £16,000 a week and won't walk away from that sort of contract and anyone who wants him can't afford to match that at all, but surely the club have enough to rip up his contract for ''continually bringing the club into disrepute'' or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

****ing moron.

Surly he can be sacked now for breech of contract. Dude not going to get it, so might as well save money on his wages by getting rid.

TaosHum wrote: »
    ****ing moron.

Surly he can be sacked now for breech of contract. Dude not going to get it, so might as well save money on his wages by getting rid.

Anybody who writes on their Twitter account:

"Gangster first, footballer second" deserves to be ousted. Don't need someone like that at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Well please with the point tonight. We didnt look like scoring at all apart from Bests effort in the first half and were fantastic at the back, especially Stevie Taylor who was my MOTM. 3 clean sheets in 4 games and 4th in the table, you really can't argue with that. Ryan Taylor was pretty bad but I thought Obertan was worse, cant wait for Ben Arfa to come back to see where he is gonna slot in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

We should have been beat at least 2 nil. The 2 centre halfs were excellent and the 2 centre midfielders did well given they were completely overrun.

Simpson was ok at times but Raylor was shocking - swp is tough to play against but not that tough - he made swp look incredible-even raylors passing was terrible tonight.

Having jonas and obertan in the same side away from home just doesnt work - we got totally swamped in the centre of the field. Neither tucks in at all - thought we were much more solid when Barton played right and got stuck in also. Thought Obertan was very poor, giving away the ball regularly and not really providing much of an outlet.

Again we played two big lads up front - but nobody got beyond them so who are they heading the ball on for? each other? We got loads of balls in the box but none from 'good areas' - never got behind qpr.

Im surprised it took pardew all night to make some subs when we were clinging on and getting killed from about 20mins into teh match - id like to have seen sammy on earlier and lovenkrands on too as the high balls were just being headed away.

I think its only a matter of time before our luck runs out and we are beat a few times in a row. Yes three clean sheets but we're giving up a lot of chances. Also we could of been there to midnight and not scored. Thats the big worry.

Again delighted with the point, but looking at the big picture its going to be a long battling season scrapping for points.

We deserved to lose last night to be honest. Defensively we were sound bar maybe Ryan Taylor who struggled badly last night.

Going forward we offered very little. We lacked any sort of creativity and a lot will rest on Ben Arfa's shoulders when he comes back in.

Tiote looks seriously off the pace at the moment and both himself and Cabaye were involved in very little of the action. When they were, they seemed to give the ball away an awful lot.

We rode our luck at times and if it weren't for bad finishing from QPR, then we would've been soundly beaten.

Credit to QPR though, they bullied us and we couldn't cope with it. They play some tidy football.

We're unbeaten and up to 4th so........

champions-league-logo.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Tiote looks seriously off the pace at the moment and both himself and Cabaye were involved in very little of the action. When they were, they seemed to give the ball away an awful lot.

thats coz all we were doing was pumping the ball up to Bent and useless Shola (Jack Charlton styleeeeee)!

We were piss poor last night, I do agree with the positives mentioned above, but MUFC and MCFC will rip us to bits when our turns comes to face them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Personally, I'm happy where we are but was happier before last night. I have stoutly argued that we deserve to be where we are, but whilst I didn't think we'd roll QPR over, we didn't grind out a draw either. It was an unbelievably wasteful performance from QPR and we can't even point at this chance or that chance. I don't mind saying that some of it was top defending - Taylor and Simpson both saving goals, that's part of the game. But Bothroyd 'missed' at least two that were down to him alone.

I would never have criticised 4-4-2; I hate the fact we're playing it time and again. 4-4-2 only works if your strikers either compliment each other, or one drops deep (see Man U for more details, or Chelsea for examples of failure). I don't understand Pardew here. I can see from his attempts to buy someone like Gameiro that at times he may have gone with the big man, little man approach previously seen in the 90's. However, playing two big men up front and hammering balls at them, last seen in the 80's (or a day or so ago at the Britannia), is a ****ing joke.

We have a skillful CM who can play balls to the channel, a la Alonso, and we have wingers both of whom are more about passing than crossing. His hands may be a bit tied, but Ba is a better bet than both and he might as well be using Marvaux to at least cover that gaping hole between strikers and midfield.

I'd like to see one or two changes for the villa game that'll give us more options attacking wise.I'd like to see pardew go for gosling on saturday to stop cabaye and tiote being swamped in the centre midfield area,i'm not a fan of obertan at all,he offered absolutely nothing yesterday,all pace but no end product.I can see gutierrez improving when santon gets up and running,hopefully he can do what enrique did so well and support gutierrez in attack.Give Ba a start too up front with Best.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Its going to be interesting to see the team selection against villa. I think it has to be 4-5-1 as you would be mad to play anything else. I think it will be the same back 5 and we might see Santon off the bench depending on how things are going.
    As for the rest of the team I would like to see........

Jonas Tiote Guthrie Ba
    Cabaye
    Best

In reality I think we will get

Jonas Tiote Cabaye Marveaux
    Obertan
    Ameobi

Or something like that..

Santon injured in training, gone for a scan and he's thought to be out for at least a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Paully D wrote: »
    Santon injured in training, gone for a scan and he's thought to be out for at least a month.
    Nice. Newcastle only sign crocks. Staying true to form.

Obsessed with us much? :pac:

Seemingly out for 3 - 4 weeks yeah.
    Hampering his settle into the club.

Ah well, we'll be grand! :)

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »
    Seemingly out for 3 - 4 weeks yeah.
    Hampering his settle into the club.

Ah well, we'll be grand! :)

Where are you getting your positive vibes from? :pac:

Ryan Taylor....over the wall
    RYAN TAYLOR.....OVER THE WALL!!

Always optimistic. :pac:
    Reckon we can get something from Villa too.

Make amends for out 1-0 defeat there last season - a game Ranger started mind! Imagine that :pac:

BARFA nearly back too :)

It's all good! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

First of all, congrats on the good start.

Any Newcastle fan who has watched all their games care to fill me in on their games, because for me they are performing well above my expectations? A very impressive start to the season.

I only saw the Arsenal game, but today was another very solid result away to Villa.

I have to admit, I had you down as relegation candidates as they lost a lot of key players.

It seems the defence in particularly is doing excellently, conceding just 2 goals in 5 games.

The fans must be very happy with Pardew surely, seemingly he is doing a very good job under difficult circumstances?

What would Newcastle fans put their good start down to? The players? The manager? Luck?

Also, is Leon Best the real deal? Can you see him being a future fixture in the Irish team?

Morzadec wrote: »
    First of all, congrats on the good start.

Why thank you.
    Any Newcastle fan who has watched all their games care to fill me in on their games, because for me they are performing well above my expectations? A very impressive start to the season.

Was at the Arsenal game myself and it was a pretty dreadful performance from both teams. Neither side looked particularly good in front of goal but did well in defence.

Sunderland wasn't a great game either. Both teams again didn't look convincing and it was a slice of luck from the free kick that we got out with a win. Defensively we were sound and kept them at bay.

Fulham game wasn't the best game either. First half was a pretty abysmal affair. We came out all cylinders firing in the second half and played pretty well. Defence was solid again and some super keeping from Krul bar the one mistake that cost us a goal.

QPR game was a game that we honestly deserved to lose. Lady luck was on our side that night. Got ripped to shreds on the left hand side and if it weren't for piss poor finishing from QPR, we'd have been down 2 or 3 nil. Offered little in attack but we coped well under severe pressure.

Villa today was a good solid away performance. Defended quite well bar the goal but we attacked very well and were on top for the majority of the game. Looked like Pardew got his tactics right today and seemed to allow Cabaye have a licence to roam forward which very nearly paid off. Overall I was pleased with the performance and it puts us in good stead for the game against Blackburn next week.
    I have to admit, I had you down as relegation candidates as they lost a lot of key players.

I think a lot of people shared this view.
    It seems the defence in particularly is doing excellently, conceding just 2 goals in 5 games.

To be fair to our defence we haven't really come up against teams that ooze quality yet. We played Arsenal at a time when they were lacking key players. Likewise with Sunderland and Fulham. Villa have been the only real test we've had thus far with Bent and Agbonlahor (sp?) the only potent strikeforce we've come up against.
    The fans must be very happy with Pardew surely, seemingly he is doing a very good job under difficult circumstances?

I'm warming to Pardew. To be fair, he's doing a great job with no backing from Ashley bar a few pounds thrown at him here and there. Tactically he's done quite well and his man management skills seem to be spot on.
    What would Newcastle fans put their good start down to? The players? The manager? Luck?

A combination of all I'd say. We've not got a huge squad and the players have a good bond with one another and the new signings seem to have settled in very well which helps an awful lot.

[quoteAlso, is Leon Best the real deal? Can you see him being a future fixture in the Irish team?[/QUOTE]

He certainly looks like it. He filled in remarkably well when Carroll was sold and took his chance and is still taking his chances. His movement, his touch, his finishing and his positioning is quite decent. Very under rated striker and he's doing very well.

As per his Ireland future... On paper his goals to game ratio is fantastic but I think himself and Long could be an interesting partnership up front.

Hopefully some of you are beginning to share my optimism now :pac:

Deserved to win that today. Yohan Cabaye absolutely superb - what a capture he's been.
    Fitting in very nicely.

Demba Ba getting sharper all the time - with Best keeping his phenomenal scoring record going.

Long may it continue - HWL! :)

Doocey wrote: »
    Hopefully some of you are beginning to share my optimism now :pac:

I'm happy yes but I'm not going to let myself get too carried away. We're in somewhat of a false position methinks as we haven't really come up against sides with quality but fúck it, we're 4th and playing some decent enough football.

Roll on Blackburn next week. Shall be at SJP myself so look forward to drinking myself into a stupor and singing until my voice is hoarse.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Would really love to make the trip over this christmas, as I have done a few times already! But, as I promised myself, I'll be staying away from SJP until ashley is gone! May take a while but I just can't bring myself to have him profit directly from my hard earned cash! Gonna have to wait a while I reckon!

It's complete. :mad:

nufc-sports-direct-300x224.jpg

A few people are apparently going to have bedsheets in the East Stand with "This looks shít" and an arrow pointing up at it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Don't really see a problem with that, he has invested and loaned money to the club so he has the right to advertise his company...what would be the point otherwise.

Beekay wrote: »
    Don't really see a problem with that, he has invested and loaned money to the club so he has the right to advertise his company...what would be the point otherwise.

He's had to invest money into the club because he's fúcked up over and over again. Had to pay off Allardyce, lost a court case with Keegan, sacked Hughton and would have had to give him a pay out too albeit a small one you'd imagine.

It's a classless and cúntish thing to do. The stadium is littered with Sports Direct shít.

It's his company but he should run SD and Newcastle United separately. As it stands, we're just an advertisement in the shape of a stadium and the way he's going about things, it's very clear that he doesn't give a fúck about the club.

Sports Direct is a successful business and it turned a massive profit last year and fair play to him but you can't run Newcastle United the way you'd run a chain of sports shops. It's a totally different type of business.

He's taking things too far and pretty soon the Gallowgate entrance is going to be littered with SD advertising.

It would not surprise me if the Sports Direct logo graced the jersey's over the next few years.

It's a trivial thing really to be giving out about the logo's but it's one annoying thing after another, after another with this shower of cúnts in charge.

In all fairness, without Ashley putting his hand in his pocket to the tune of £100m when he took the reigns from Hall and Shepard, the club would be in a shocking state financially.

He's turned a crippled team who were paying over £100,000 to the likes of Michael Owen to a young and solid mid-table side whilst reducing turnover significantly, turning a massive profit in the transfer market in recent seasons and making the club financially sustainable again. Yes, it took a relegation and he was trying his best to keep the fans onside by dismissing Allardyce etc, but he's done it his way lately and it's paid off. Sacking Hughton turned out to be a very good decision as results were going sour but just because he bet Sunderland 5-1 and got the best ever Championship squad promoted he was seen as a hero. Ashley saw the bigger picture, however.

I honestly don't get the sheer hate for the man as without him there's quite a good chance that Newcastle would be struggling to exist and they'd certainly be on the bones of their arse financially.

He could also pull the plug on that loan in the morning and take it back, so the Newcastle fans would ought to be careful what they wish for.

Bollocks Paully. Absolute bollocks.

Would you like him at your club?

In all fairness, without Ashley putting his hand in his pocket to the tune of £100m when he took the reigns from Hall and Shepard, the club would be in a shocking state financially.

He's turned a crippled team who were paying over £100,000 to the likes of Michael Owen to a young and solid mid-table side whilst reducing turnover significantly, turning a massive profit in the transfer market in recent seasons and making the club financially sustainable again. Yes, it took a relegation and he was trying his best to keep the fans onside by dismissing Allardyce etc, but he's done it his way lately and it's paid off. Sacking Hughton turned out to be a very good decision as results were going sour but just because he bet Sunderland 5-1 and got the best ever Championship squad promoted he was seen as a hero. Ashley saw the bigger picture, however.

I honestly don't get the sheer hate for the man as without him there's quite a good chance that Newcastle would be struggling to exist and they'd certainly be on the bones of their arse financially.

He could also pull the plug on that loan in the morning and take it back, so the Newcastle fans would ought to be careful what they wish for.

That is a threat that has been used many times....

You cant honestly be serious with the rest can you?

Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Rob Elliot; Danny Simpson, James Perch, Fabricio Coloccini, Shane Ferguson; Dan Gosling, Danny Guthrie; Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid, Hatem Ben Arfa; Peter Lovenkrands

live commentary on BBC radio 5 live sports extra, available on SKY and Freesat

if anyone comes across a stream please let me know

• Advertisement

Bollocks Paully. Absolute bollocks.

Would you like him at your club?

The only other owner in Premier League football that I'd want ahead of the current stewardship at Sunderland is Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City, so no.

However, if we were in the financial mess that you were in before Ashley took over and he had turned us into a mid-table Premier League side full of young players who could well attract huge sell on fees and are also on relatively low wages in Premier League terms then I'd be able to look past all the propaganda and see that despite making mistakes he's actually done very well.
    M5 wrote: »
    That is a threat that has been used many times....

You cant honestly be serious with the rest can you?

It's not a threat really, he can do it if he wants. He's obviously not going to do it with money coming in thick and fast from selling players though.

I'm deadly serious. Take a look at your accounts before Ashley took over and have a look at them now. Although you were relegated once you have gone from spending insane money to spending very little net and becoming stable financially whilst finishing mid-table in the Premier League.

He's made out to be some sort of anti-christ but without him you could well be supporting an AFC Newcastle outfit now.

The only other owner in Premier League football that I'd want ahead of the current stewardship at Sunderland is Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City, so no.

However, if we were in the financial mess that you were in before Ashley took over and he had turned us into a mid-table Premier League side full of young players who could well attract huge sell on fees and are also on relatively low wages in Premier League terms then I'd be able to look past all the propaganda and see that despite making mistakes he's actually done very well.

It's not a threat really, he can do it if he wants. He's obviously not going to do it with money coming in thick and fast from selling players though.

I'm deadly serious. Take a look at your accounts before Ashley took over and have a look at them now. Although you were relegated once you have gone from spending insane money to spending very little net and becoming stable financially whilst finishing mid-table in the Premier League.

He's made out to be some sort of anti-christ but without him you could well be supporting an AFC Newcastle outfit now.

Relegation was a huge part of the money problems we had, think Ashley has to take a fairly substantial chunk of the blame there.

The current business model of selling our best players every season is unsustainable and will eventually cost us our place in the PL

Accounts are one small part of it Paully. Newcastle have a huge turnover in comparison with a lot of clubs. Of course if you spend nothing and sell sell sell the accounts will improve. Also how many of the high earners have we actually sold? Most actually left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Have a Geordie mate looking for a stream for Forest game. Any of you guys have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Searched all over but couldn't find one. I think the Leeds V ManU match is the only one being televised.

1-1 at the moment, apparently Elliot let in a soft goal. Where's Harper by the way? Elliot was the sub keeper in the Villa game if I remember correctly.

I spoke too soon 2-1. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

2 - 2 now.
    Is there any Carling Cup highlights show on any of the tv channels?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement