Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

BBC tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Colo - The love of my life.

11:20 on BBC 1 for highlights of yesterday's and tonight's games. :)

Goals here.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/nottingham-forest-newcastle-15436250/

Some particularly sloppy defending but Ben Arfa and Marveaux combining for the first goal was beautiful. Apparently there was very good link up play with Ben Arfa, Abeid and Marveaux.

Hopefully Benny gets a start against Blackburn. Himself and Cabaye could be a fapworthy combination. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Paully D wrote: »
    In all fairness, without Ashley putting his hand in his pocket to the tune of £100m when he took the reigns from Hall and Shepard, the club would be in a shocking state financially.

He's turned a crippled team who were paying over £100,000 to the likes of Michael Owen to a young and solid mid-table side whilst reducing turnover significantly, turning a massive profit in the transfer market in recent seasons and making the club financially sustainable again. Yes, it took a relegation and he was trying his best to keep the fans onside by dismissing Allardyce etc, but he's done it his way lately and it's paid off. Sacking Hughton turned out to be a very good decision as results were going sour but just because he bet Sunderland 5-1 and got the best ever Championship squad promoted he was seen as a hero. Ashley saw the bigger picture, however.

I honestly don't get the sheer hate for the man as without him there's quite a good chance that Newcastle would be struggling to exist and they'd certainly be on the bones of their arse financially.

He could also pull the plug on that loan in the morning and take it back, so the Newcastle fans would ought to be careful what they wish for.

Honestly I have to agree with almost all of this. In my opinion Ashley has financially stabilised NUFC at the moment. I don't like the constant pushing of Sport Direct advertising etc but it's not exactly harming the club, just pissing off fans. The wage bill has been massively reduced & other than the strikers [or lack of] I like all the players we signed during the summer.

The only problem I have with Ashley & Co is the lack of information coming from the club & the constant lies and disinformation about transfers/players. I've no problem with them not spending AC money on a striker if they come out & tell us "We're not spending because...." but to keep telling us lies just keeps Ashley in the bad books & makes the club look like it's badly run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just booked my tickets for the away end on Saturday, any Newcastle fans heading over?

Looking forward to it myself, Blackburn I think have a decent record at St. James', although I remember Newcastle dominating last year but Blackburn still getting a win.

I feel confident now of Blackburn getting a win, but I'd settle for a point now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

M5 wrote: »
    Relegation was a huge part of the money problems we had, think Ashley has to take a fairly substantial chunk of the blame there.

The current business model of selling our best players every season is unsustainable and will eventually cost us our place in the PL

Accounts are one small part of it Paully. Newcastle have a huge turnover in comparison with a lot of clubs. Of course if you spend nothing and sell sell sell the accounts will improve. Also how many of the high earners have we actually sold? Most actually left.
    Nah, the money problems were growing from the days of Freddie Shepard continuously leveraging the club up to try and compete with the top 4.

5%2BNewcastle%2BProfit.jpg

To say accounts is a small part of football is wrong imho. If you look at the Deloitte list of richest clubs, the list is dominated at the top by the most successful teams. To compete at the top, you either need to have an existing base like Barcelona or Man Utd, or alternatively buy your way to success like Man City and Chelsea. Newcastle United have neither, and even by the Premier League level, are really only mid-table in terms of turnover (Man U, Arse, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C, Villa and Spurs would be well ahead of Newcastle). The days of Newcastle paying a player £100k+ a week are completely gone. Realistically, the sustainable future for Newcastle is a core of 4-5 players earning 50-60k, followed be a group of 9-10 players or so earning 30-40k with a few kids on 10-20k. If the likes of Liverpool come in and offer 70-80k + signing on bonuses for Enrique and Carroll - realistically, you just don't have the financial muscle to hang on to those players.

I think Ashley has done a reasonable enough job. For a club like Newcastle to get some very useful and relatively young players like Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, etc. I think he should be commended.

For a club like Newcastle to get some very useful and relatively young players like Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, etc. I think Graham Carr should be commended.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    FYP

Anyone who created Alan Carr should never be commended :p

Nah, the money problems were growing from the days of Freddie Shepard continuously leveraging the club up to try and compete with the top 4.

To say accounts is a small part of football is wrong imho. If you look at the Deloitte list of richest clubs, the list is dominated at the top by the most successful teams. To compete at the top, you either need to have an existing base like Barcelona or Man Utd, or alternatively buy your way to success like Man City and Chelsea. Newcastle United have neither, and even by the Premier League level, are really only mid-table in terms of turnover (Man U, Arse, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C, Villa and Spurs would be well ahead of Newcastle). The days of Newcastle paying a player £100k+ a week are completely gone. Realistically, the sustainable future for Newcastle is a core of 4-5 players earning 50-60k, followed be a group of 9-10 players or so earning 30-40k with a few kids on 10-20k. If the likes of Liverpool come in and offer 70-80k + signing on bonuses for Enrique and Carroll - realistically, you just don't have the financial muscle to hang on to those players.

I think Ashley has done a reasonable enough job. For a club like Newcastle to get some very useful and relatively young players like Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, etc. I think he should be commended.

You've hit the nail on the head there, but as far as 99% of Newcastle fans are concerned he's the devil reincarnated and that will never, ever change.

294549_280420745320543_167538979942054_1067660_1004240907_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just popped in here because of the Newcastle Blackburn game this weekend.

Things could be worse than Ashley lads, I'd take him over Venkys any day of the week!!

How I want us to line up tomorrow:
    Krul

Simpson --- Colo --- S Taylor --- R Taylor

Jonas --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Marveaux

Ben Arfa

Best

How I expect us to line up:
    Krul

Obertan --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Jonas

Best --- Ba

Depending on how the game is going, I'd expect Ben Arfa to start on the bench and come on with 15-20 mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Does anyone have any decent links/website where i can get the match??cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any decent links/website where i can get the match??cheers

livescorehunter.com

myp2p.bz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Krul

Ben Arfa

Best

Krul

Best --- Ba

Depending on how the game is going, I'd expect Ben Arfa to start on the bench and come on with 15-20 mins to go.

100% agree, first line up would be great to see but Pardew loves Obertan for some strange reason at the moment. Personally he is very static when he doesnt have the ball and doesnt give much of an option. If he hugged the touchline more like Jonas does then he would be a different player. As for his final ball, Routledge was better.

Just booked my tickets for the away end on Saturday, any Newcastle fans heading over?

I hope you're not afraid of heights, and bring binoculars.

I hope you're not afraid of heights, and bring binoculars.

No I'm quite looking forward to the lofty heights, been a while since I've experienced those with Blackburn!

Just having a browse around the shops with the gf, then we'll be off to the stadium, I have a good feeling about today,

The same as last year, with a 2-1 victory for Blackburn for me today!

No I'm quite looking forward to the lofty heights, been a while since I've experienced those with Blackburn!

Just having a browse around the shops with the gf, then we'll be off to the stadium, I have a good feeling about today,

The same as last year, with a 2-1 victory for Blackburn for me today!

You must be doing something right if she's willing to go there for a match that doesn't involve Sunderland! :pac:

You must be doing something right if she's willing to go there for a match that doesn't involve Sunderland! :pac:
    It is costing me the price of the two tickets, a pandora charm and some holy water, the last is to protect her she said! Believe me it took a lot of persuading!

• Advertisement

Newcastle were inside the top 20 clubs worldwide as far as turnover is concerned up to the relegation season according to Deloitte

2008/9 20th worldwide 7th in England
    2007/8 17th/6th
    2006/7 14th/6th
    2005/6 13th/5th

Whats clear is the decline in comparison with other sides brought on by lack of investment and a blatant disregard for the fans. Attendances have dropped drastically since MA took over further compounding the situation

The losses averaged at about 15million a season under FS which is of course unsustainable. However relegation alone cost at least £50 million. Not to mention the other losses directly attributable to Ashley such as attendance drop and lower merchandising sales. He may be balancing the books but our turnover is going through the floor. As you eluded you money is directly connected to success........

We should not be competing with Chelsea/Man U/Man C/Arsenal or perhaps Liverpool but a club of similar fan-base (nationally and internationally) like Spurs are certainly not an unrealistic comparison

In other news, away to Blackburn in the carling cup

Krul, Simpson, Coloccini ©, S Taylor, R Taylor, Obertan, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Best, Ba

bench Harper, Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Perch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Krul

Ben Arfa

Best

Krul

Best --- Ba

What did you say. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Hatem Ben Arfa is on the Newcastle bench against Blackburn, for whom Martin Olsson starts.

• Advertisement

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Cheers,your a life saver!

rubbish stream im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Stuggling to find a working stream for this one, anyone with any success?

M5 wrote: »
    rubbish stream im afraid

All the streams keep breaking up including this one but its best I have seen

Here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Advertisement

Another here if that breaks

GET IN, great goal Demba Ba

interesting control, tidy finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Stream started working right after the goal! :(

The Master wrote: »

Great stream, thanks m8

BAAA!!

Oh dear, where are Blackburn?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

2- 0 get in

Too easy, unreal, 2 nil. Demba again

****. Good finish.

• Advertisement

Poor from Simpson. 2-1

Terrible from Newcastle this time

Should be 3

sjp very very flat

Completely dominated that half and should be 3 nil up, only themselves to blame if we don't get 3 points here. We are not even playing that well.

bazual wrote: »
    Completely dominated that half and should be 3 nil up, only themselves to blame if we don't get 3 points here. We are not even playing that well.

Lets hope Blackburn remain poor, don't wan them flying out of the traps

Krul asleep, need to step up a gear

Jesus, rovers are terrible!

Hat trick, lol

• Advertisement

what is Robinson complaining about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement