Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I think our next games will go something like this...

Tottenham - Draw
    Wigan - Win
    Stoke - Lose
    Everton - Draw
    Manchester City - Lose

Not bad considering we only got 2 pts out of these 5 games last yr.I don't think we'll lose to spurs,I seen them against wigan and arsenal in their last 2 games,and on the balance of play they were prob fortunate to win both of them.

I wouldn't mind Santon getting a game actually,van der vaart has played on the right wing for spurs the last few games and he drifts infield a lot so dont think there'd be a big threat that he's do too much running at santon.

One player I think is definitely due a game at this stage is Marveux,tbh Obertan has been one player that's really disappointed me,the only game he was really effective was the blackburn game and even then he was wasteful,I can see fans turning on him big time when results start to go against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd disagree on Obertan. The chap is still young and is still finding his feet a bit. Coming from a club like Manchester United where he was way down the pecking order may not have been good for his self confidence.

He's getting a regular look in with the first team now and it can only help him.

He's full of running but it's his end product that is lacking somewhat. He's still young as I say but he has a lot to learn. His pace is what we'll need to try and isolate Bale on Sunday.

Cabaye returned to Newcastle a day early to train with Newcastle ahead of Sunday's game against Spurs.

What a man.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd disagree on Obertan. The chap is still young and is still finding his feet a bit. Coming from a club like Manchester United where he was way down the pecking order may not have been good for his self confidence.

He's getting a regular look in with the first team now and it can only help him.

He's full of running but it's his end product that is lacking somewhat. He's still young as I say but he has a lot to learn. His pace is what we'll need to try and isolate Bale on Sunday.

I'm prob being a bit harsh on the chap considering he is still young and has only played a handful of games for us,but I think the only thing he really brings to the team is pace,for example from what I've seen of marveaux,he can pick out a pass,cross,stay on the touchline,drift inside,defends well and can score so I have to say Obertan hasn't convinced me as of yet,still I'll give the lad a chance to prove me wrong!

David Ginola in the Sky studio. Mon amie. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Teams

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Tim Krul; Danny Simpson, Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini (c), Ryan Taylor; Gabriel Obertan, Yohan Cabaye, Cheik Tiote, Jonas Gutierrez; Leon Best, Demba Ba
    Substitutes: Rob Elliot, Davide Santon, Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux, Hatem Ben Arfa, Peter Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2): Brad Friedel; Kyle Walker, Younes Kaboul, Ledley King (c), Benoit Assou-Ekotto; Jake Livermore, Luka Modric, Scott Parker, Gareth Bale; Rafael Van Der Vaart; Emmanuel Abebayor
    Substitutes: Carlo Cudicini, Sebastien Bassong, Danny Rose, Andros Townsend, Giovani Dos Santos, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Jermain Defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Tottenham - Draw
    Wigan - Win
    Stoke - Lose
    Everton - Draw
    Manchester City - Lose

Cant see us getting anything at Stoke away, considering the problems Chelsea and Man U have had there

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

anyone have any good streams?

Delighted with the point today it really could have went either way in the end but we did finish strong.

Was a little disappointed in Ben Arfa when he came on, there was a few times he lost the ball in bad places trying to pass people and was shrugged off the ball too easily at times etc, but I do like the creativity and the fact he is willing to take these players on, time will tell whether he can do it in the right areas.

Nice to see Santon come on and thought it was unusual that it wasnt a straight swap for Raylor, although Raylor actually played pretty well and his deliveries from set pieces were good so maybe thats why Simpson went off.

I think its the same old story with Obertan, hot and cold, great running at people but final ball and final decision is very poor.

Best and Ba were pretty good together nice to see that partnership blossoming and will be a big call to see who will get the nod now against Wigan with Ameobi scoring, maybe Shola and Ba up front?

Colo and Tiote were pure class today, at times its like Colo is a playmaker just strolling out from the back and picking out some fantastic balls.

Jonas and Cabaye both put in solid performances, especially Jonas hounding Modric most of the game.

Great to see the confidence in the play and if we get a few good results in the next few games I would be quietly confident we can go to Manchester and hold our own against both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy enough with the point too but hard not to think that we could of pulled off the win, bad miss by Colo at the end but in fairness to the man he has been excellent all season so I couldn't fault him. Jonas had a good game too, he seems to be getting better every game. We played some good football the last 10mins of the game, showing that we're well able to attack.
    Important that Tiote and Cabaye remain fit/suspension free as they are very important players for us.
    Encouraging to see that there's a good team spirit amongst the squad.

Wigan at home next week so hopefully that'll be 3 points.

• Advertisement

I fúcking love Newcastle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I fúcking love Newcastle United.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Why Leon Best isn't higher in the Irish pecking order I don't understand. Mixed feelings about result, always nice to draw when coming from behind but before kick off (and excuse me for being greedy) I would have thought this was extremely winnable. Don't rate Spurs this season.

Milking the fúck out of it.

champions-league-logo1.jpg

shola-ameobi-scores-against-sunderland-98595849.jpg

_39387492_redknapp_emp.jpg

Wouldn't mind this team for Wigan.
    Krul

Santon --- Saylor --- Colo --- Raylor

Marveaux --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Jonas

Ba --- Shola

Wouldn't mind this team for Wigan.
    Krul
    Santon --- Saylor --- Colo --- Raylor
    Marveaux --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Jonas

Ba --- Shola

Decent team if I do say so myself! Good a game as ever to throw Marveaux and Santon their first premiership game,while Shola definitely justified a place in the team with that super goal. I'd like to see Ben Arfa get half a game this time,i'd be cautious about playing Ben arfa against stoke,i can see him getting kicked off the field.

L'Equipe says Sochaux and Newcastle 'virtually agreed' on sale of Modibo Maiga in January. Likely to sign 4.5yr deal.

Skeptical cat is skeptical.

Shíteseats should be commissioned to do all the advertising for upcoming games. :pac:

tumblr_lt95oi9L2e1qz7guco1_500.png

Looking good at the minute that Maiga will be coming in january,would be good to see a striker in the door finally and good to see ashley not going with the attitude that because our other strikers are scoring doesn't mean we need a new one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Looking good at the minute that Maiga will be coming in january,would be good to see a striker in the door finally and good to see ashley not going with the attitude that because our other strikers are scoring doesn't mean we need a new one in.

Lovens and Shola are both 30+ now, need to keep Best and Ba on their toes.. will need the dept in the squad as well when were playing in Europe next year :rolleyes:

all the same, some start to the season, just hope we can keep it up and keep our key men fit.

• Advertisement

I don't really want to get into transfers yet because quite frankly I hate the transfer window. We're linked with every player under the sun and end up shafted as per usual.

BUT...With the African Cup Of Nations, we need to bring in a midfielder, a centre back and two strikers.

Tiote is off for the ACON in January as are Ba and Maiga provided we sign the chap.

Gosling can play there and could do with some game time imo but an injury to him while Tiote is gone and we're down to the likes of Guthrie and Smith.

EDIT: If we don't sign anybody, it'll mean more game time for Sammy, Gosling and perhaps even Vuckic which, to be fair isn't exactly a bad thing to give them some game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Tiote is such a loss it's then I reckon when we'll feel the departure of Nolan and Barton from last season. Wouldn't mind bringin in someone on loan till the end of the season from Jan, in that department.

"Shola Ameobi" via Twitter after the Spurs game. :pac:
    DID YE SEE IT MAN? A WAS LIKE PYOW! AND FRIEDEL WAS LIKE "WEW YE MAD CÚNT" AND THEN A WAS LIKE WAHEY!

gav86 wrote: »
    Lovens and Shola are both 30+ now, need to keep Best and Ba on their toes.. will need the dept in the squad as well when were playing in Europe next year :rolleyes:

all the same, some start to the season, just hope we can keep it up and keep our key men fit.

Shola seems to have lost a lot of weight over the summer and was looking sharper against spurs because i remember many moons ago he had a bit of pace!Sure if the goals dry up,we could call upon county louth's finest striker donal mullen!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Shola seems to have lost a lot of weight over the summer and was looking sharper against spurs because i remember many moons ago he had a bit of pace!Sure if the goals dry up,we could call upon county louth's finest striker donal mullen!

Haha Mullen would be some edition alright, as long as he cut out the moaning :D
    Yeah i was VERY suprised last weekend when Ameobi just turned and stuck it in the bottom corner from such a tight angle, prolific wouldnt be a word i would have used for him in the past but sure if he keeps it up he deserves to be there.

I heard somewhere that Ranger scored two for the reserves there last week, cant see a match report but maybe he has turned a corner, might be worth a place on the bench for the Carling Cup game.. also will Ba get selected for Senegal, is he definitly on the plane is what i mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

15 years ago today! Was such a great game, being a lonely Newcastle Fan in school at 9 years old surrounded by Man. Utd. fans this was such a great game to go into school after.

gav86 wrote: »
    Haha Mullen would be some edition alright, as long as he cut out the moaning :D
    Yeah i was VERY suprised last weekend when Ameobi just turned and stuck it in the bottom corner from such a tight angle, prolific wouldnt be a word i would have used for him in the past but sure if he keeps it up he deserves to be there.

I heard somewhere that Ranger scored two for the reserves there last week, cant see a match report but maybe he has turned a corner, might be worth a place on the bench for the Carling Cup game.. also will Ba get selected for Senegal, is he definitly on the plane is what i mean?

If joey Barton was still at the club,mullen would certainly be letting him know if his final ball wasn't good enough!!

Hopefully Shola and Ba start today,Best has looked sharp but not sure if he poses a big of a threat compared to Ba. Here's hopefully to a 2-0 newcastle win today.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

An interesting read on the Sunderland forum here lads, posters recalling how they used to go and watch Sunderland and Newcastle (and vice-versa) back in the 60's and 70's.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=638186

It's impossible to imagine it happening these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So are Newcastle fans happy with Pardew now??

He has done a good job, especially when you take into account the players that have left the club.

Could be a master stroke by Ashley bringing him in, or maybe it was just a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Stream - English Commentary

Team unchanged from spurs game...that means obertan is playing....damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Paully D wrote: »
    An interesting read on the Sunderland forum here lads, posters recalling how they used to go and watch Sunderland and Newcastle (and vice-versa) back in the 60's and 70's.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=638186

It's impossible to imagine it happening these days!

I've a few friends who used to do the same thing with Liverpool and Everton.They worked on the ferries, so were over every weekend and would go to who ever was playing at home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Great save by Krul there

Delighted its the same team starting, thought it would be madness to try something new considering the way they have been playing. Keep the same one until he is forced to change I think, even though Obertan annoys me.

Decent stream here too english and good picture

Spoke too soon, its gone.............

• Advertisement

Not the greatest start by us. Been very sloppy in possession.

Some cross field ball by Tiote there.

Bloody hell Leon.

We've been poor first half, struggling to create anything. Lucky not to be behind too.

Cake Man wrote: »
    We've been poor first half, struggling to create anything. Lucky not to be behind too.

Like alot of games so far this season we are poor and the opposition cant find the net. This is either going to be a lucky win or a deserved defeat, cant see a draw. Ben Arfa and Shola for Leon and Demba around 65 I think. Midfield needs an extra person.

• Advertisement

bazual wrote: »
    Like alot of games so far this season we are poor and the opposition cant find the net. This is either going to be a lucky win or a deserved defeat, cant see a draw. Ben Arfa and Shola for Leon and Demba around 65 I think. Midfield needs an extra person.

Yeah we'll surely see the two on at some stage. HBA hopefully to provide some creativity and make something happen.

HBA \o/

Tiote howay man. Sloppy.

Close Ba. Unlucky. Much better.

Am I being cruel when i say obertan reminds me of routledge??

Need to start making this pressure really count.

Rodallega is getting in far too easily down that left side.

Crusat. :rolleyes:

Marveaux for Obertan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Come on Newcastle, don't leave me down. I have ye in last man standing :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement