Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Colo won't want to go unless he's forced, and that's possible; if the right money is offered.

Easily the best CB in the division so far this year so can see why others are watching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is Ashley slowly turning the corner?

Half price season tickets for the remainder of the season and now an open day training session today.

Positive PR.

There's also rumour that the club are set to hire Bob Moncur to liase with the fans regarding the goings on at the club.

I'm not an Ashley fan by any stretch of the imagination but for all the bollocks that has gone on, his latest actions are deserving of very high praise indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is Ashley slowly turning the corner?

Half price season tickets for the remainder of the season and now an open day training session today.

Positive PR.

There's also rumour that the club are set to hire Bob Moncur to liase with the fans regarding the goings on at the club.

I'm not an Ashley fan by any stretch of the imagination but for all the bollocks that has gone on, his latest actions are deserving of very high praise indeed.

Bar his first couple of seasons when he was listening to the fans which eventually took you down, Ashley has been absolutely excellent for Newcastle as I've argued on here time and time again.

That's a fantastic offer, however I do wonder how it has gone down with those who paid their money up front when things weren't looking too good in the summer? It MIGHT affect season ticket sales next season as those who renewed early could say they'll pick and choose games until another offer like this comes about.

Also, the open training session that pulled in 5,000 fans this morning was a great idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hopefully we'll start something like this against stoke.....

Krul

Simpson --- Coloccini --- Saylor --- Raylor

Marveaux --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Gutierrez

Best----Ba

Subs: Elliot,santon,guthrie,gosling,ben arfa,lovenkrands,obertan.

I'd be a bit wary about starting ben arfa,stoke mightn't be the best place to throw him in at the deep end,but sure if we go a goal or two behind he'd be a good option from the bench. I don't rate our chances very highly here,i'd be delighted with a point but can't see it happening,stoke prob have too much for us in their lockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Probably just paper talk, but I see a lot of reports that Man U are looking at Tiote and possibly Cabaye! It would really be a kick in the teeth for the clubs prospects if Ashley sold them in January!

Salmon wrote: »
    Probably just paper talk, but I see a lot of reports that Man U are looking at Tiote and possibly Cabaye! It would really be a kick in the teeth for the clubs prospects if Ashley sold them in January!

Neither of those will be gone in January, would be pretty confident in that.

However, I'd say United will be sniffing around Coloccini, especially considering their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Salmon wrote: »

That's the reality of the modern Premier League. It's next to impossible to assemble a decent team because any prospects will be snapped up by the bottomless coffers of the top teams.

This day, a year ago lads.

Newcastle+United+v+Sunderland+Premier+League+-3fd4xL8bIel.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Worried about tonight and especially if Mr T is not playing which is highly likely. And he is not.

NUFC team (4-4-2): Krul; Simpson, Coloccini(c), S.Taylor, R.Taylor; Obertan, Cabaye, Guthrie, Gutierrez; Ba, Best.
    NUFC subs: Elliot, Santon, Perch, Gosling, Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi.

Stokes Team: Begovic; Wilkinson, Shawcross, Woodgate, Wilson; Pennant, Whelan, Delap, Etherington; Walters, Crouch

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭spudwiser

GET IN!!!!!!
    BA

Fantastic performance - great display altogether.

Very impressed with Guthrie, perhaps ready to show his true potential in a Black and White shirt.

Gutierrez faultless tonight, the defence in general very tight - great to see.

A hatrick on the 31st of October 2010 by Kevin Nolan

then

A hattrick on the 31st of October 2011 by Demba Ba.

Both against red and white stripes - HTL!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pardew out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Need a win against Everton now to provide a buffer against the three games after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Fantastic performance tonight, I think its the best team performance I have seen in the league this season from any team. If I had to pick a player for Newcastle that wasnt at their best it would be Cabaye which is hard to believe considering its usually Tiote and Cabaye running the game. This just shows the strength of the rest of the Newcastle players.

Guthrie played a really simple game tonight and should have been up there with Jonas and Demba for Motm. It was first time I have seen him play a defensive midfield role and stick to the instructions, It was really well played.

Tactically tonight I really have to hand it to Pardew he was spot on. I thought in the last games Newcastle played that we were just lucky enough to be playing a team that was playing poor on the day, but now I am starting to think Newcastle's team ethic is making these teams play poorly and we are actually a decent side.

22 points after 10 games and another 20 points and we should avoid relegation. Anything more than that is a bonus :D

Can't wait to get over to Newcastle this Saturday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

3 points against Everton is a must with the 3 fixtures following that...

2 or 3 points from those games would be a good haul for us, anymore would be a bonus

We wont be under pressure in any of the games either which might work to our advantage. We will be expected to loose all three

M5 wrote: »
    3 points against Everton is a must with the 3 fixtures following that...

2 or 3 points from those games would be a good haul for us, anymore would be a bonus

We wont be under pressure in any of the games either which might work to our advantage. We will be expected to loose all three

Everton at home is a massive game for us. It won't be easy but we're playing well so hopefully we can keep the momentum going.

Our closing down was absolutely fantastic tonight. It'll be a tough ask against the two Manchester clubs but to be honest, if we can close Man United down quickly, I think they can be gotten at. The game against Man City is the tougher of the two games imo. They're very well disciplined and have a stupid amount of talent on and off the pitch.

Expecting to lose against the two of them but hey, you never know. For now, I'll enjoy what we've got now and milk it for the larf.

If we beat Everton, we'll go second for a little while. :pac:

• Advertisement

If we can keep this up until Christmas we may be able to sign one or two decent players who may not have viewed Newcastle as an attractive option if we were bottom half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Great win tonight, starting to come around that this might not be just a flash in the pan (well not as much as I thought anyway). Pards got them playing as a unit which is very refreshing to see, but we will see if he will stick with the 442 against the likes of Chelsea, United and Citeh.

Still though, its been a very enjoyable few months.

Just looking back at the goals. Best was offside when he headed it on to Obertan. Stunning header though to knock it on and have the awareness to pick him out but Stoke can feel a little hard done by methinks.

Was impressed with Obertan and the way Pardew had him positioned as an outlet high up the pitch when we eventually got the ball clear from our own penalty area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Excellent result tonight lads, over the moon with it. If I was offered a draw before the game I would have gladly accepted. Get to 40pts and everything after that is a bonus as TG said in the match thread.

I know people are saying "ah well we'll see what Newcastle are like when they play Chelsea, United and City one after another in the coming weeks" but fcuk it our season won't be defined by what results we get against those kind of teams. Our season will be defined by how we do against the Stokes, Fulhams, Villas, Evertons, Sunderlands of the league and we ain't doing to badly IMO.
    Everton early KO on Sat, hopefully another chance to keep this great run going!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Serious result last night, when i seen Perch come on i was worried but after getting booked in the first few seconds he did alright from there on, everyone put in the effort which was great to see, every throw in or corner seen Best and Ba back in our box to clear the ball, Obertan was a great outlet on the break but put in the effort in defence, the lad has serious pace..Pardew deserves credit for setting up the team.. Simpson and Raylor were excellent as well and have come in for some stick recently..

I think if we can be defensively strong in the next few games away from home that we could catch a few teams on the break, Need to keep Colo and Steve Taylor fit..we probably only had a handful of chances last night but converted 3.. still had Ben Arfa on the bench, he doesnt suit the Stoke game but will be used in the next few games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I never thought i'd say it but:

- We are a TEAM
    - We are DEFENSIVELY STRONG
    - We don't want any STARS upsetting the balance

The team spirit and cohesiveness is our biggest asset.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Sammy Ameobi and Newcastle for reporting the racist abuse he has received on Twitter to the police.

Paully D wrote: »
    Fair play to Sammy Ameobi and Newcastle for reporting the racist abuse he has received on Twitter to the police.

Totally unacceptable. I read the tweet that was sent to him.

Totally unacceptable. I read the tweet that was sent to him.

What was said to him mate? A lot of journalists are going mad about it, and some are saying they know the person who sent it is a season ticket holder at Newcastle :eek:

What was said to him mate? A lot of journalists are going mad about it, and some are saying they know the person who sent it is a season ticket holder at Newcastle :eek:

Yep. Newcastle fan. Think he might have deleted his account or perhaps Twitter has suspended him.

Sammy posted a picture of his new black boots and the following tweet was sent.
    @JonnnnyPhipps: @Sammy_Ameobi your hand is nearly the same colour. #n***er”

The *** weren't there of course.

Needs to be outed. I bet the same fúcker was celebrating when Ba scored three last night. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hope he gets it taken off him and no refund.

• Advertisement

Yep. Newcastle fan. Think he might have deleted his account or perhaps Twitter has suspended him.

Sammy posted a picture of his new black boots and the following tweet was sent.

The *** weren't there of course.

Needs to be outed. I bet the same fúcker was celebrating when Ba scored three last night. :rolleyes:

Aye, he'll have deleted it when he realised he was going to get into trouble for it.

In fairness to Newcastle they'll ban him ASAP and both the club and Ameobi have done the right thing in bringing this to attention.

Hopefully he gets prosecuted. There's far too much of that going on on Twitter etc and people will keep doing it until they realise they'll get done for it.

There's no place for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I think it's a pity we have to play City away in the first of those 3 tough games. With our current form and the form of United & Chelsea, I'd be quietly confident of getting a result in either of those games if they were first up. A loss to City is expected and may upset our rhythm slightly and have a knock on effect to the United and Chelsea games.

That being said, the game with City is after the international break and just 3 days before they travel to Napoli in the Champions League and the weekend before they travel to Anfield so maybe they'll rest of few of their bigger guns. Hopefully they'll underestimate us and we can sneak a draw. If that were to happen, I'd expect the confidence gained from that result to push us on to get something from both the United (draw?) and Chelsea (draw/win?) games.

I'm waffling now but that's my (optimistic) two cents :o

I think it's a pity we have to play City away in the first of those 3 tough games. With our current form and the form of United & Chelsea, I'd be quietly confident of getting a result in either of those games if they were first up. A loss to City is expected and may upset our rhythm slightly and have a knock on effect to the United and Chelsea games.

That being said, the game with City is after the international break and just 3 days before they travel to Napoli in the Champions League and the weekend before they travel to Anfield so maybe they'll rest of few of their bigger guns. Hopefully they'll underestimate us and we can sneak a draw. If that were to happen, I'd expect the confidence gained from that result to push us on to get something from both the United (draw?) and Chelsea (draw/win?) games.

I'm waffling now but that's my (optimistic) two cents :o

You are very optimistic lad, definitly should be taking one game at a time and Everton on Saturday will not be an easy game. After the international break we will see then, Tiote will be available hopefully, has he been withdrawn from the Ivory Coast squad? lucky that we dont have too many players who will have to travel as injuries seem to be creeping in and the squad is still very thin..

Who all will be on international duty - Krul, Colo?, Jonas, Cabaye, Ba..

Two away games in a row against the top two is never going to be easy but hopefully we set up the team to catch them on the counter and give them a right go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Jonas didnt get picked anyway which is happy days for us

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Jonas didnt get picked anyway which is happy days for us

Is right, It's some trip to Argentina and then Columbia..

2011/12

Arsenal (H) Drew
    5under1and (A) Won
    Fulham (H) Won
    QPR (A) Drew
    Villa (A) Drew
    Blackburn (H) Won
    Wolves (A) Won
    Spurs (H) Drew
    Wigan (H) Won
    Stoke (A) Won

2010/11

Arsenal (H) Drew
    5under1and (A) Drew
    Fulham (H) Drew
    QPR (A) N/A
    Villa (A) Lost
    Blackburn (H) Drew
    Spurs (H) Drew
    Wigan (H) Drew
    Stoke (A) Lost

15 points is a massive improvement over last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

One thing that is also beneficial about the way the team is currently playing,is that it is giving Ben Arfa longer to heal and allowing him to be worked back slowly into the team. Hopefully it will benefit him in the long term.

If we were struggling/on a poor run of form, I think he would have been back in the team weeks ago.

TaosHum wrote: »
    One thing that is also beneficial about the way the team is currently playing,is that it is giving Ben Arfa longer to heal and allowing him to be worked back slowly into the team. Hopefully it will benefit him in the long term.

If we were struggling/on a poor run of form, I think he would have been back in the team weeks ago.

Everyone in the team is there on merit tho and it would be tough on someone to be dropped for Ben Arfa so he will have to wait, he can come on and change the game tho like he did against Wigan and there is no doubt we will need him this season.

gav86 wrote: »
    Everyone in the team is there on merit tho and it would be tough on someone to be dropped for Ben Arfa so he will have to wait, he can come on and change the game tho like he did against Wigan and there is no doubt we will need him this season.

When Ba goes away to the ACON, he'll be getting a regular look in then.

I'm sure he'll be given a part to play before then but while Ba and Best are fit and healthy, then there's no real need to tamper with anything to be honest unless he wants to play him out on the right or left.

It's a good dilemma to have really. Our bench is a lot stronger looking than in recent years.

Defensively we need cover for centre back... BADLY.

Right this has been pissing me off.

I decided to do some research and see how the top teams did last season in the same fixtures (i left out QPR as they were not in the division) I also only checked Man U, Man C, Chelsea and Liverpool results as we played Arsenal and Spurs and an equivalency would be messy

So We go 22 points from our 9 games *0 Losses
    Man U got 17 *2 Losses
    Chelsea got 20 *1 Loss
    Man C got 9 *4 losses
    Liverpool got 14 *3 Losses

Easy fixtures? Maybe, but we got more points than any of the top three!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

2011/12

15 points is a massive improvement over last year.

Wow, I didn't realise it was such a big difference! Those extra points would've gotten us up to 8th in the table, even if you don't count the point gained at QPR.

Obertan could miss up to a month due to a toe problem according to Lee Ryder.

An infected toe for Obertan, Marveaux in?
    Two arrested over the Sammy Ameobi abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Obertan could miss up to a month due to a toe problem according to Lee Ryder.

Time to step up Marveaux!

Time to step up Marveaux!

Yep. Either that or HBA can play there. I'd imagine he'd stick Marveaux there though. Himself and Cabaye linked up very well against Wigan that time.

Right wing is our strongest position, we also have Gosling and Guthrie can also play there

Right wing is our strongest position, we also have Gosling and Guthrie can also play there

Gosling would be an interesting one actually. Guthrie will stay in centre of midfield though if Tiote's still injured.

Tiote is back i think!

Tiote is back i think!

Lee Ryder at the press conference today said he was hit or miss.

• Advertisement

Lee Ryder at the press conference today said he was hit or miss.

heres hoping. our midfield will have a bit more to do against Everton than against Stoke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement