Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Watched the game again and regardless of our defensive injuries and how sh*t perch and raylor are,3 of their goals were really soft yesterday,Ameobi lost Holt for their 2nd goal,alot was made of how perch and simpson are under 6 ft but for ameobi no excuses there,even though from an attacking perspective he had a decent game yesterday,3rd goal was just mistake after mistake and people running all over the place,the blame for the 4th goal ultimately lies with Perch,giving away a ridiculous and needless free kick when we were searching for the draw and then giving Holt a free header.Positives for me were the partnership between Ba and Ameobi,Cabaye was excellent yesterday and Santon from an attacking perspective.Negatives were Perch,Obertan and Gosling,the trio looked completely out of their depth yesterday,I don't want to be too harsh on Gosling because he hasn't been involved much with his injury etc but he needs to learn quick if he wants a regular place in the first team.

Anyway,game is in the past now and should be forgotten about,Swansea will be a tough game,no excuses though,I'll be expecting maximum points.

With the same starting backline?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

With the same starting backline?

No,coloccini should be back which will bring some leadership and quality,williamson is back in full training but it'll take him a while to get up to match speed so can't see him being involved,otherwise we should outscore swansea for goals anyway.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-midfielder-Cheick-Tiote-uses-witch-doctor-to-help-secure-Chelsea-move-article841741.html

Nice from Mike Ashley to let him fly out :pac:

I'd be absolutely amazed if

A) He went for £25m
    B) That Chelsea even want him now that they have Romeu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Paully D wrote: »
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-midfielder-Cheick-Tiote-uses-witch-doctor-to-help-secure-Chelsea-move-article841741.html

Nice from Mike Ashley to let him fly out :pac:

I'd be absolutely amazed if

A) He went for £25m
    B) That Chelsea even want him now that they have Romeu

no quotes from the 'club insider' ??? I hope he/she is ok!!!:p

Tbh Pauly has a far better player than Henderson so 25 million is probably ballpark for a player of his quality with 5 years left on his contract.

M5 wrote: »
    no quotes from the 'club insider' ??? I hope he/she is ok!!!:p

Tbh Pauly has a far better player than Henderson so 25 million is probably ballpark for a player of his quality with 5 years left on his contract.

Agreed, he's much better. However, he's not English and it doesn't seem Dalglish is interested in purchasing him.

£20m at the most IMO and I think Ashley would snap someone's hands off if they offered £15m.

Maiga to undergo medical tomorrow

Seems like an eternity ago now lads that most of you on here were gutted about Barton and Nolan leaving and tipping yourselves to go down.

Not stirring it, I just think it's interesting to note that it seems Ashley knew what he was doing all along. Players with too much power and a voice out the door.

You've got a great team spirit now, the players all work had for the team, there's very little controversy created because there's no need to worry about Barton feeling he isn't getting enough attention and speaking out needlessly, etc.

On the pitch you've got a canny set up. Just goes to show that playing 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers and a CM partnership that complements each other is still a very effective way of playing in an age when people say 4-4-2 is dead. You've got a 20 goal a season striker (fitness dependent) and another in Maiga on the way in.

You'll finish comfortably ahead of us this season but I hope that under O'Neill we can get back on track and take the North-East Top Dogs title back. It will take time though.

Only 6 months ago many were saying Sunderland would do superbly well and Newcastle would do well to stay up. Funny how quickly things can change in football!

You'll finish comfortably ahead of us this season but I hope that under O'Neill we can get back on track and take the North-East Top Dogs title back. It will take time though.
    QUOTE]
    In fairness mate,you's have never been top dogs in the north east!! It'll also stay that way with Titus Bramble at the back!

Seems like an eternity ago now lads that most of you on here were gutted about Barton and Nolan leaving and tipping yourselves to go down.

Us and everyone else to be fair
    Not stirring it, I just think it's interesting to note that it seems Ashley knew what he was doing all along. Players with too much power and a voice out the door.

Yes credit where credit is due. Lets judge at the end of the season though our injuries are crippling at the moment exposing our alarming lack of depth. Also lets no forget bar blowing a 3:0 lead on the last day we would have finished 8th last year (obviously our points/game average is far superior this time round)
    You've got a great team spirit now, the players all work had for the team, there's very little controversy created because there's no need to worry about Barton feeling he isn't getting enough attention and speaking out needlessly, etc.

Barton often said what needed to be said. A perfect example was the 3:0 capitulation where he was rightly furious. Point taken on the team spirit though, it looks good. Can you honestly say it was less last year though?
    On the pitch you've got a canny set up. Just goes to show that playing 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers and a CM partnership that complements each other is still a very effective way of playing in an age when people say 4-4-2 is dead. You've got a 20 goal a season striker (fitness dependent) and another in Maiga on the way in.

I like 442, i dont like Obertan though

I think we will, it didnt take us long (see the 3:0 reference again :) ) so i cant see why it wouldnt take you long?
    Only 6 months ago many were saying Sunderland would do superbly well and Newcastle would do well to stay up. Funny how quickly things can change in football!

Thats why we love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is this Maiga chap any use???

In fairness mate,you's have never been top dogs in the north east!! It'll also stay that way with Titus Bramble at the back!

Really? :P

Who was the most top division titles?

Who has most recently won a major trophy?

Which of the two teams has been higher placed at seasons end more often over the last, to make it fair, say 5 seasons?

Thought so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Eh...we won the Championship recently! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Really? :P

Who was the most top division titles?

Which of the two teams has been higher placed at seasons end more often over the last, to make it fair, say 5 seasons?

Thought so ;)

Very sly Paully, haha ;)

Don't think we'll finish that far ahead of Sunderland to be honest, been the far better side this year thus far but a long way to go yet.
    Top 10 is aim - anything above that is a bonus.

As for the North-East Top Dogs thing, don't think anyone really considers Sunderland to be it regardless.
    Mainly judged on match-ups and we all know there's only one winner there! :D

Anyway, Maiga set for his medical. Hope for another couple of signings on top of that; prob won't happen though.

And Cheik Tioté £25m? At the very least - top notch midfielder, long contract.
    For a midfielder of his type you pay big money.
    If we get offered £25m, hopefully up it to £30m and reinvest.
    Would rather keep him obviously!

We should follow Spurs lead and fight doggedly to keep our best players. That's why they have such a good squad now.

We should follow Spurs lead and fight doggedly to keep our best players. That's why they have such a good squad now.

Ashley is not Levey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Spurs also have a huge wage bill.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Spurs also have a huge wage bill.

And are contenders for CL places, unlike us. Sure wee may as well be happy with our mid table aspirations, forever.

And are contenders for CL places, unlike us. Sure wee may as well be happy with our mid table aspirations, forever.

The best we can hope for is mid table obscurity with Ashley in charge until somebody with real aspirations wants to take the club forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

That_Guy wrote: »
    The best we can hope for is mid table obscurity with Ashley in charge until somebody with real aspirations wants to take the club forward.

I agree, all Ashley wants is for Newcastle to be in a position where they are breaking even every year and to stay in the premier league. Then can use the stadium and the club to market his Sports Direct brand Worldwide and make his profits that way.
    Buy young and cheap on long contracts and sell expensive and repeat the whole process every season.

Seriously mate, what do you expect?

The days of teams other than Manchester United and City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool breaking into the top 6 is over. It's something we, as fans of ''smaller'' clubs have to deal with. It might happen once in the blue moon now but never consistently, and the only way to change that is for an arab to want a new toy. I would actually say if another arab wants to come to the Premier League and take a club outside the top 6 (as listed above) that Newcastle would probably be the club they'd look to buy, but I pray it doesn't happen :P

I would also argue that you had your chance to really establish yourselves among the elite when you were spending Manchester City type money in the 1990's, and blew it.

Unfortunately all we can really aim for now is mid-table, with a very odd season in Europe and that's the same for 14 of the Premier League's clubs. It's another reason why modern football is a load of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The days of teams other than Manchester United and City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool breaking into the top 6 is over. It's something we, as fans of ''smaller'' clubs have to deal with.

Can't say I'd agree with that. A few years ago, everyone was saying how the top 4 (ManU, LPool, Ars, Chel) would remain as the top 4 for years to come. Since then, Spurs and City have shaken things up and now it's regarded as the Top 6. City obviously have their arab friends to thank but Spurs were at a similar level to Everton/Villa a few seasons ago. They've since had a great season in the CL and are sitting in third at the moment. The gap between the top teams and the teams following has reduced in recent years and with good management and some decent signings the likes of Newcastle/Villa/Everton/<insert mid-table team here> could push break into that top 6.

The current top 6 are not guaranteed to finish above everyone else as Liverpool have seen in recent seasons. We should be building a squad ready to take advantage if any of the top teams do have an off season. The likes of Tiote should not be allowed leave. We have him on a ridiculously long contract and should look to keep him if the bigger clubs come a-knocking. The likes of him, Cabaye, Ba, Colo, Krul, BArfa etc should be kept at all costs and a strong team around them, ready to push on up the league.

/Rant :o

Saying we were like Man City is a bit sensationalist, as well. Statements like that make it hard for me to take anything you say seriously, tbh,

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

contract and should look to keep him if the bigger clubs come a-knocking. The likes of him, Cabaye, Ba, Colo, Krul, BArfa etc should be kept at all costs and a strong team around them, ready to push on up the league.

Especially when you consider their ages, Cabaye (24) HBA (24) Steve Taylor (25) Ba (26) Tiote (24) and Krul (23) a great crop of young players who are at the right age, of international pedigree and should have long careers ahead of them.

Beekay wrote: »
    Eh...we won the Championship recently! :pac:

Also not forgetting us winning the Intertoto cup back in 2006!!

All I want is a club that shows some sort of ambition. It's all well and good buying young and cheap players but it'd be nice to use those players to push on and aim towards something instead of selling them off when they start showing a bit of promise with no adequate replacements and leaving behind a paper thin squad where decent cover could mean the difference between challenging for an EL place or a relegation scrap.

Nice one Tim ;)

Also, Pardew being honest on Tioté, if a massive bid comes in then he'll be sold.
    Hopefully there'll be no bid :)

Nice, if we can hold on to the others and continue to add to the squad, then a EL place is not out of the question next season.

Also not forgetting us winning the Intertoto cup back in 2006!!

That was a lovely trophy certificate!

Doocey wrote: »

Nice one Kevin

Nice one Andy

Nice one Joey

Players say what they know people want to here. If a bigger club than Newcastle come in for him offering him more money and Ashley a decent fee then he'll be off. Only the very top clubs are exempt from this.

If Krul keeps playing the way he has been then he won't be at Newcastle much longer, regardless of what he says in the press.

Nice one Kevin

Nice one Andy

Nice one Joey

Players say what they know people want to here. If a bigger club than Newcastle come in for him offering him more money and Ashley a decent fee then he'll be off. Only the very top clubs are exempt from this.

If Krul keeps playing the way he has been then he won't be at Newcastle much longer, regardless of what he says in the press.

Was just waiting for that reply, what I'm just proving is that Tim doesn't have any intentions to leave NUFC at the minute, which in contrast to some reports out there.

As for Nolan and Joey - gone to bigger clubs? Yeah....

Both were gone cos the hierarchy got rid, must remember that we rejected an initial bid of £30m for Andy Carroll as well, so it's gonna take humongous money to prise either Tim or Cheik away from St.James' Park :D

• Advertisement

Nice one Kevin

Nice one Andy

Nice one Joey

You're making yourself look foolish. Just thought you should know.

You're making yourself look foolish. Just thought you should know.

Some more than others you'd have to say! ;)

Im sorry but Pauly D is right. Anyone who believes that players "love the club" and "love the fans/city" need to get their head examined. That said the choices of player are not great. Barton was forced out, as was Nolan

The teams of PR people at the club have players well coached on what to say at interviews. Its usually part of the contract! There are few exceptions who will speak their mind, none of which we will see at our club!

Back to the footy.

It looks like Shane Ferguson is on his way back to fitness. Also Big Mike, Hopefully this will be the last we see of the pair of clowns (Perch/Raylor)

(i know both are unlikely to start on Sat but could figure next week)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Team for Swansea game
    Krul
    Simpson -- Colo* -- Williamson* --- Santon

S. Ameobi -- Tiote -- Cabaye -- Jonas
    HBA --- Ba
    *Williamson i'd say will have to play, played for the reserves and trained all week so see no need to leave him out. If Coloccini is out, I would play Simpson at Centre Back and put Raylor to LB and Santon to RB.. If both dont make it I would have Santon/Simspon at CB with Raylor LB and Perch RB..

If Tiote doesnt make it would be nice to see Abeid but i'd say Pards will go with Perch in a holding midfield role. :rolleyes:

Seen the last 20minutes of Celtics match against Udinese last night and Fraser Forster made a very good double save and looked very assured which is good to see.

Booked my tickets for the FA Cup game against Blackburn on the 7th of January. If you're planning to head over, I'd say book your flights now. I booked mine for €45 return (including those shítty charges) and tickets are an absolute steal.

£20 for Gallowgate/East Stand/Sir John Hall Stand
    £25 for premium seating in the Milburn.

Excellent value.

I'm torn between getting home and taking in a toon game or flying back to catch the European championship....

I'm torn between getting home and taking in a toon game or flying back to catch the European championship....

Watching Newcastle and Ireland are similar. There's bound to be some sort of heartache either way. :pac:

Watching Newcastle and Ireland are similar. There's bound to be some sort of heartache either way. :pac:

lets not talk about referees either.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-16216966
    Sunderland footballers arrested over damaged cars
    Nicklas Bendtner (left) and Lee Cattermole Nicklas Bendtner (left) and Lee Cattermole have been bailed

Two Premier League footballers have been arrested after cars were damaged in Newcastle city centre.

Sunderland midfielder Lee Cattermole and striker Nicklas Bendtner were held in relation to an incident in Stowell Street on 6 December.

The pair, both aged 23, were later bailed pending further inquiries, Northumbria Police confirmed.

Sunderland AFC has not commented on the arrests, which were on suspicion of criminal damage.

The police force has not released details of how many cars were damaged.
    On loan

A spokesman said: "Police can confirm that on 15 December two men aged 23 were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.

"It follows an investigation into cars damaged on Stowell Street in Newcastle city centre which happened about 10pm on 6 December.

"The two men have been bailed."

Lee Cattermole, originally from Stockton, started his career with Middlesbrough.

He joined Sunderland on a £6m transfer from Wigan Athletic in 2009.

Nicklas Bendtner, a Danish international, is currently on loan at the club from Arsenal.

Mackem scumbags wrecking cars in Newcastle CC

• Advertisement

Hearing Maiga failed his medical due to a knee injury and NUFC have decided against signing him..

Hearing Maiga failed his medical due to a knee injury and NUFC have decided against signing him..

It's never stopped you before! Ba, Marveaux.

Was he just the subject of another one of those phantom bids/attempts to sign him?

It's never stopped you before! Ba, Marveaux.

Was he just the subject of another one of those phantom bids/attempts to sign him?

Well there must be a serious threat with this fellas knee then! :pac:

Ah I doubt it, just weren't gonna risk it I suppose!

Plus Marveaux never failed a medical..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

*inserts arrow to the knee joke*

Plus Marveaux never failed a medical..

Because he never had one ;)

• Advertisement

Because he never had one ;)

I was referring to his Liverpool medical but anyway..

I assume the reason we decided against signing Maiga because of his injury was of his price tag. £7m would be a big gamble in all fairness compared to Ba free, Marveaux free..

Luuk de Jong our next target now supposedly, would be delighted with him!

I was referring to his Liverpool medical but anyway..

I assume the reason we decided against signing Maiga because of his injury was of his price tag. £7m would be a big gamble in all fairness compared to Ba free, Marveaux free..

Luuk de Jong our next target now supposedly, would be delighted with him!

Ah I'm only winding you up anyway.

From what I've seen of Maiga (mostly last season) he looked a very good player and I'm happy you haven't signed him, but this year he's been very stroppy (probably because he wanted to leave last year but wasn't let go) and has been in poor form. It might not be the worst thing in the world for you that he isn't signing.

That said, a one legged pensioner would still somehow manage to bang in 20 goals a season for you, jammy twats :P

rumour is abeid an cabaye start in cm, with colo returning to cb

rumour is abeid an cabaye start in cm, with colo returning to cb
    I'd be happy if that was the case,Abeid will give us more quality and legs than smith anyway.
    Anyone have any decent links for the game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Newcastle V Swansea

Krul; Simpson, Perch, Coloccini (c), Santon; Obertan, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Best, Ba.
    subs : Harper, Williamson, Abeid, Vuckic, Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi

Delighted Tiote is back.

Possible Streams
    http://www.premier--streams.net/channel3.html

http://www.koracity.com

http://dishtvliv.ucoz.com/ch1.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement