Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Our flanks have been dismal for the last few games. We are too predictable. Not getting anything here with the current tactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Obertan hasn't done anything positive in this game, lost every ball that has come his way.

Tiote with his yellow-a-game

Another frustrating game, and best and Obertan a waste of space, and tiote not having a good game either. With our second half record a loss is on the cards

Bar playing with 9 against 13 I can't see what's wrong here

Good save by Krul.

Yeah we've been poor, I just can't see us winning this

Serious improvement needed second half. Hopefully HBA for the ineffective Obertan and Shola for Best. Vuckic may not be a bad option either.

• Advertisement

Absolute Garbage

Simple facts are you can not play with two players in your side who give teh ball away 80% of the time. Obertan has been consistently woeful but he still gets his game. It baffling! Best has had a stinker today, had a simple ball to play Ba in near the end of that half and he made a mess of it

We are not imposing ourselves on the game. Our game plan seems to involve hopeful balls through the middle (I wonder how much of that is the players realisation that the wings are a waste of a pass)

Prediction for the second half. We return unchanged. Tiote gets sent off and we loose 2:0

Our passing is embarrassingly bad. Cheap offsides. Nothing positive to report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

At least Obertan had a shot. ;p

Our only quality move yields a goal, and tidy finish

Get in Ben Arfa!!!!

• Advertisement

Lol

Baaaaaa!! And an assist from Obertan, jesus hell must be freezing over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

I think he read this thread at half time. :)

Cake Man wrote: »
    Baaaaaa!! And an assist from Obertan, jesus hell must be freezing over

That's actually his 5th other season :confused:

M5 wrote: »
    That's actually his 5th other season :confused:

Ah yeah it was meant more in the sense of him doing something positive!

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ah yeah it was meant more in the sense of him doing something positive!

I know, I was more replying to my previous post were I doubted he had any...

88 mins of pure garbage.

2:0 but worrying performance considering we were at full strength and playing a team in severe relegation danger

Job done, happy days! Well pleased with that result considering how flat we were up to the first goal. Badly needed a win. Liverpool up next at Anfield on Friday, hopefully the way they're going we can get something there.

Judging by the stats the were woefully unlucky today, and they had 28 shots with 13 on target....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Judging by the stats the were woefully unlucky today, and they had 28 shots with 13 on target....

Ah you were talking about Liverpool, I thought you were talking Bolton, missed the game myself but delighted with the win.

Watching on Gillette Soccer Saturday there and sounds like Bolton were poor, no shots on target from open play.

So was Ben Arfa and Ba partnership good when he came on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

2-0..........In your face Paul Merson, he said earlier on that Bolton would beat us and also said that Aston Villa were a bigger team than us............jeff and the rest of the lads didn't know what to believe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seannew1 wrote: »
    2-0..........In your face Paul Merson, he said earlier on that Bolton would beat us and also said that Aston Villa were a bigger team than us............jeff and the rest of the lads didn't know what to believe!!

They are, quite considerably so too.

They've won 1 European Cup, 7 First Division titles, 7 FA Cup's, 5 League cups.

In comparison, Newcastle have an Inter-city faires cup win, 4 First Division titles and 6 FA Cup's.

History counts, Villa are a bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

18 games, 30 points.

Shut the f*ck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Happy with that performance yesterday; looked very comfortable defensively. Coloccini easily one of the best centre backs in the league in the minute.

Ben Arfa changed the game, surely cannot be off a starting role now - will be very important to us when Demba leaves for the AcoN.
    Gutierrez did well yesterday as well.

Great to rid those Boxing Day blues, and the Bolton away beating!

On to the next! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Good news about Suarez, he is the only one making Liverpool tick at the moment. Will be interesting to see will Andy come back to haunt us but I am optimistic with the news.

Looking like an unchanged side for the game but still wishing for HBA instead of Best.

Krul

Simpson --- Colo --- Williamson --- Raylor

Obertan --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Gutierrez

Best --- Ba

Subs: Elliot, Ben Arfa, Perch, Shola, Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson

Yep, that's very welcome news about Suarez missing out but our record at Anfield the last few years has been shocking, last three visits beaten 3-0, 2-0 defeats in the two games before that and not even a goal scored there since 04/05 season. Depressing stuff.
    However, this time has to be different with us in decent form and Liverpool's inconsistency. Would like to think we'll manage a 1-1.

If we play anywhere near as badly as we did last week we'll get humped.

Need to have an outlet on the right, Sammy or HBA, anyone but Obertan who Enrique will have in his pocket

Also i'd like to see Santon in the LB position, he looks composed and can pick out a pass. Jury is out on his defending though

Simmo Colo Willo Santo
    Ameobi Cabaye Tiote Jonas
    HBA
    Ba

If we play anywhere near as badly as we did last week we'll get humped.

Need to have an outlet on the right, Sammy or HBA, anyone but Obertan who Enrique will have in his pocket

Also i'd like to see Santon in the LB position, he looks composed and can pick out a pass. Jury is out on his defending though

Simmo Colo Willo Santo
    Ameobi Cabaye Tiote Jonas
    HBA
    Ba
    As much as I like Sammy as a player,I'd probably be inclined to give obertan the start today.while he probably won't offer us much from an attacking perspective he should give simpson decent cover against enrique's runs. I agree though Ben arfa has to start,it's his type of game tonight.

Obertan vs. Enrique will be a key battle tonight.

We've a good chance going here tonight, but the bookies are underrating us again which is always a good thing :D

Hoping for a good game, with Demba Ba nicking it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't see it happening but I'm hoping yous can pick up at least a point tonight, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Abject performance. Just didn't show up whatsoever. Have to say though, the bias from Sky towards Liverpool was fúcking sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Only for the good start Newcastle would be in serious trouble, with Ba and Tiote off to ANC I don't see much improvement in the next few games either. All I can say is thank God we've already accumulated 30 pts!

Everyone needs to have a look at themselves after that.

Starting with the goals.

The first goal, Two clearences that found UNMARKED liverpool players who had time to decide what they wanted to do

The free kick was a joke. Mediocre free at the perfect height for a keeper. Krul needs to be taking charge of that situation

The third, a horrible ball to Simmo lead to a throw in where we failed to regroup and inexplicably left two liverpool players on their own on the edge of the box. Taking nothing away from the play after that mind.

Tactics.

Vukic. Why play Vuckic and a 5 man midfield and continuously hump the ball up the park? Bizzare with the players we have in the centre that we decided a hoof up to the front man was the option. Vukic had to track back to get on the ball leaving Ba up against two CB's

We had control of the game in first 15 mins of the game when we kept the ball on the floor, prompting Dalglish to bring on Gerrard. Why did we not do the same in the first half? We paid liverpool far to much respect.

Our wings are a mess

On the left Raylor is so poor that he needs cover which takes Jonas clean out of the game and removes any chance of a counter attack

Obertan is so likely to give the ball away that it stops Simpson coming forward at all. Obertan has been consistantly poor since his return from injury 8 games ago

Bar 2 mins againt Bolton our wings have been fruitless for the last 8-10 games and Santon and HBA/Ameobi HAVE to start against man u

Sum up

We only have ourselves to blame recently, the manager seems to be too loyal and needs to be more ruthless, both in player selection (Obertan, Raylor) and in tactics. With Ba in the form he is in we need to get the ball to the lad and he will score.

I think Pardew will look back on tonight and regret employing just Ba upfront on his own,Ba was left feeding on scraps the whole night,Liverpool were there for the taking and Pardew came to anfield hoping to nick a draw,Vuckic is a decent player,but he's young and it was unfair for him to be thrown straight in at the deep end tonight.

Anyway I was sickened with there 2nd goal,wasn't a foul in the first place but defending from simpson was shocking,krul would have saved it no bother.However this shouldn't hide the fact that we were really poor tonight,Obertan again was misplacing simple passes and Gutierrez has been a shadow of his former self for some time now.On a more positive note,Tiote and Cabaye were solid.

Obertan is out of the Man U game

• Advertisement

Happy New Year Lads!

Smith in talks with Ipswich, I hope it goes through, bar the championship season he has been poor for us

Smith in talks with Ipswich, I hope it goes through, bar the championship season he has been poor for us

High earner too so will be good to get him off the wage bill.

Obertan is out of the Man U game

its now being reported he is fit, wtf

If Ben arfas quotes today are accurate his days at nufc are numbered, while I agree he should have played more these things need to be kept in the dressing room, not aired in the press. #nothelpfulscuicidal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If Ben arfas quotes today are accurate his days at nufc are numbered, while I agree he should have played more these things need to be kept in the dressing room, not aired in the press. #nothelpfulscuicidal

What quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Mixed reports on the Ben Arfa story, think he is just mad to get on the pitch. If Obertan is struggling with that infected toe again then give him some time to get over it, put Ben Arfa on the wing. We can't sit back like we did against Liverpool and invite the opposition on to us we need to attack from the start.
    Krul
    Simpson -- Colo -- Williamson --- Santon

Ben Arfa --- Cabaye -- Tiote --- Jonas
    Ameobi -- Ba
    More than likely will be Sammy Ameobi on the wing (which I dont mind) with Vucknic on as an extra midfielder!! Wouldnt mind Shola being given a bit of a run with Ba heading to ACON soon.

Quotes from the Sun:
    But it's true we don't share quite the same philosophy. For him, it's more crosses, a bit of a more direct style, whereas I'm more the kind of player who likes to play short passes.

I like to pass and move, a little bit like Swansea when we played against them. I was very impressed with the way Swansea played football.

"That is the kind of football I like. That's the philosophy I learned at the French academy at Clairefontaine.

Nothing in that. Just a bit of frustration creeping in really.

Interesting tweet from @MetroRadioNews
    Metro Radio understands #nufc are in talks with Virgin Money over sponsorship & COULD have their logo on their shirts tonight #NEfollowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah a load of fuss made over nothing really. Hope he does get a good lot of time on the pitch tonight though.

Looks like Harper is on his way to hull on loan,i think he's been treated awfully by Pardew this year,the last couple of games he hasn't even made the bench,and for someone who has served the club for so long to be overlooked in favour of a keeper who wasn't even first choice at a league 1 club is ridiculous.

Mock of what could be on the jersey's this evening.

NUVirginLarge.jpg

I'd imagine that they'd invert the Virgin logo to Black and White but who knows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement