Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sky reporting that Forest have approached us about Wayne Routledge.

The definition of a player who can do it in the Championship, in fact he's a cracking Championship player, but just can't make that next step up to the Premier League.

He'd be a very good signing for Forest who are doing some excellent business this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

That photo of Shola will haunt me forever......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Colo the new captain, no surprise, NUFC.com carried the story yesterday.

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    Colo the new captain, no surprise, NUFC.com carried the story yesterday.

Delighted with that. Had a superb season last time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Excellent news about Colo alright.

Was just looking at the list of players still available on frees that have a bit of premier league experience, do you think any of the below would be useful to have as squad players. I know they are in the older range and not the current club policy but as squad players I reckon one or 2 of the below might be useful.

James McFadden - 28 (another Routledge, hot and cold???)
    Jonathon Woodgate - 31 (younger than wes brown, hard to believe)
    John Pantsil - 30 (lord knows we could do with a backup right back)
    Nigel Reo-Coker - 27 (another midfielder which we prob don't need)
    Matthew Upson - 32 (backup at best)
    John Carew - 31 (another backup)
    Owen Hargreaves (just for the fitness videos alone lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I'd take Pantsil! Was instrumental in Fulham's "success" a couple of seasons back!

• Advertisement

Contrary to our earlier piece, it's now believed that the early season derby fixture on wearyside will go ahead with a Noon kickoff on Saturday August 20th not Sunday.

Howerver the fixture still won't be transmitted live by Sky or ESPN - although foreign coverage is expected.

Confirmation of this may follow on Monday morning, when the first live TV selections are published.

From nufc.com

From nufc.com

Bollocks to that if true.

Flights and hotel booked for the opening weekend of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Flights and hotel booked for the opening weekend of the season.

Nice 1!

Do you mind me asking who you booked the flights/hotel/match tickets with? Did you book it as a package or seperately? Myself and 2 of my mates are booking ours today/tomorrow so we're looking for the best way to book the whole lot. We'll probably head over the Friday and home again the Sunday

Nice 1!

Do you mind me asking who you booked the flights/hotel/match tickets with? Did you book it as a package or seperately? Myself and 2 of my mates are booking ours today/tomorrow so we're looking for the best way to book the whole lot. We'll probably head over the Friday and home again the Sunday

Not at all mate.

I booked my flights with Ryanair and I'm staying in the Royal Station Hotel. It's right near the train station (believe it or not :pac:) so easy access from the airport to the city centre via train station... I hope.

As per match tickets, I've a 12th man membership so I can get priority tickets which is grand. Cost me about €26 including delivery. You get a smart card, a few discount vouchers and stuff and an iron on badge for your jersey and a few other things.

Flights cost me about €90 for return which is a bit of a pain in the hole given that the same flights could have been gotten for €60 had Sky released the fixtures last Thursday when they said they would. :rolleyes: Flying on the Friday and back on Sunday myself.

If you're planning to book a hotel, book it through ebookers.ie and type in METEORHOTELS in the discount code section and you'll get 10% off the overall price.

Not at all mate.

I booked my flights with Ryanair and I'm staying in the Royal Station Hotel. It's right near the train station (believe it or not :pac:) so easy access from the airport to the city centre via train station... I hope.

As per match tickets, I've a 12th man membership so I can get priority tickets which is grand. Cost me about €26 including delivery. You get a smart card, a few discount vouchers and stuff and an iron on badge for your jersey and a few other things.

Flights cost me about €90 for return which is a bit of a pain in the hole given that the same flights could have been gotten for €60 had Sky released the fixtures last Thursday when they said they would. :rolleyes: Flying on the Friday and back on Sunday myself.

If you're planning to book a hotel, book it through ebookers.ie and type in METEORHOTELS in the discount code section and you'll get 10% off the overall price.

Good man cheers, that's a great help! I'll get looking into it this evening so hopefully we'll get something booked soon. Hopefully we pip them 5-4 this time round! ;)

Good man cheers, that's a great help! I'll get looking into it this evening so hopefully we'll get something booked soon. Hopefully we pip them 5-4 this time round! ;)

Here's hoping. Charlie also mentioned a hostel to me: http://www.albatrossnewcastle.co.uk/

Cheap and cheerful and on the doorstep of the main drinking areas/St. James'.

And I was also recommended to head to Sam Jack's for the pre-game atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

Here's hoping. Charlie also mentioned a hostel to me: http://www.albatrossnewcastle.co.uk/

Cheap and cheerful and on the doorstep of the main drinking areas/St. James'.

And I was also recommended to head to Sam Jack's for the pre-game atmosphere.

When youre buying tickets, always go for the student option, cheaper and they never check at the gate...

Definitely hit Sam Jacks before, cracking atmosphere and a few other little nuggets too!!

chimpo85 wrote: »
    When youre buying tickets, always go for the student option, cheaper and they never check at the gate...

Definitely hit Sam Jacks before, cracking atmosphere and a few other little nuggets too!!

Wouldn't be talking about the dentist's chair would you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

Wouldn't be talking about the dentist's chair would you? :pac:

Pre-match? Naaah, for some reason they take the dentists chair out and have another form of entertainment...tut tut!!

• Advertisement

I see Barton's not allowed to enter the USA so can't join the team for their pre-season trip.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3691526/Joey-Barton-will-miss-Newcastles-pre-season-tour-of-the-United-States-this-month.html
    JOEY BARTON will miss Newcastle's pre-season tour of the United States this month.

The controversial Toon midfielder has been refused a visa by the American government because of his criminal record.

So he will now be forced to stay at home and train with the reserves instead.

Barton said: "I regret not being able to travel but, at the same time, I don't expect to be treated any differently or more favourably than anyone else in a similar situation.

"All I can do is continue to improve as a person."

I would generally have some sympathy for him as he did seem to be trying to change, but the incident with Pederson last year proved that he's a long way away from doing so.

Very good footballer though. Any more word on his future? I believe Everton enquired but they don't have a pot to piss in so unless they sell a few players I can't see them having the money to get him.

Paully D wrote: »
    I see Barton's not allowed to enter the USA so can't join the team for their pre-season trip.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3691526/Joey-Barton-will-miss-Newcastles-pre-season-tour-of-the-United-States-this-month.html

I would generally have some sympathy for him as he did seem to be trying to change, but the incident with Pederson last year proved that he's a long way away from doing so.

Very good footballer though. Any more word on his future? I believe Everton enquired but they don't have a pot to piss in so unless they sell a few players I can't see them having the money to get him.

If the Pederson incident was anyone else nothing would have been made of it, "heat of the moment" excuse would have been used IMHO. His conduct has been impeccable for 2 years bar that bit of handbags. Of course i cant condone the "incident" but it is viewed differently because of the perpetrator IMHO

As far as other news on him, i say sign him up, give him a 4 year deal. A player like him will be useful into his mid 30's, unfortunately the FCB might not agree

As for him being refused a visa, i say well done the US embassy, no reason he should get any preferential treatment, he certainly does not deserve it!

No tweets about this yet, not like Joey!

To the tune of Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA":

BANNED FROM THE USA!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

If the Pederson incident was anyone else nothing would have been made of it, "heat of the moment" excuse would have been used IMHO. His conduct has been impeccable for 2 years bar that bit of handbags. Of course i cant condone the "incident" but it is viewed differently because of the perpetrator IMHO

As far as other news on him, i say sign him up, give him a 4 year deal. A player like him will be useful into his mid 30's, unfortunately the FCB might not agree

As for him being refused a visa, i say well done the US embassy, no reason he should get any preferential treatment, he certainly does not deserve it!

No tweets about this yet, not like Joey!

Aye, that stuff with Pedersen was totally over-blown. No doubt it was stupid, but I've seen worse go un-punished.

Halfway there - got the flights for €65 with Ryanair and that Albatros hostel for £40 for the weekend so happy days! Is there any other way to get match tickets apart from the 12th man membership? I've been on the NUFC.co.uk site but I can't get in to get tickets :(

Halfway there - got the flights for €65 with Ryanair and that Albatros hostel for £40 for the weekend so happy days! Is there any other way to get match tickets apart from the 12th man membership? I've been on the NUFC.co.uk site but I can't get in to get tickets :(

You can wait for tickets to go on general sale. The way it works is that Season Ticket holders get their tickets first. Then tickets are made available to 12th man membership and then after that, whatever is left is put on general release.

If you want tickets online you'll have to sign up. Only takes a few minutes to do.

EDIT: €65 for flights. Bollocks to that. I bought mine for €90. Which flight you getting? Early or late?

You can wait for tickets to go on general sale. The way it works is that Season Ticket holders get their tickets first. Then tickets are made available to 12th man membership and then after that, whatever is left is put on general release.

If you want tickets online you'll have to sign up. Only takes a few minutes to do.

EDIT: €65 for flights. Bollocks to that. I bought mine for €90. Which flight you getting? Early or late?

Getting the late flight Friday and the late agian on Sunday. Mind you they were the same price even if we chose the earlier flights. We must've just got lucky with our timing :o

How much is the 12th man membership? When do the general tickets go on sale? I would sign up for the 12th man but I'm legging it from the country at the end of August so I won't have any need for it after the match! :(

Getting the late flight Friday and the late agian on Sunday. Mind you they were the same price even if we chose the earlier flights. We must've just got lucky with our timing :o

How much is the 12th man membership? When do the general tickets go on sale? I would sign up for the 12th man but I'm legging it from the country at the end of August so I won't have any need for it after the match! :(

I just wanted to book my flights as early as possible in the hope that they'd not go any higher.

12th man membership is £25. I paid about €29 - Included delivery.

Tickets are on sale at the moment for pre season games and it's giving me the option to buy a multiple amount of tickets (up to 9).

If I'm able to purchase multiple tickets for the Arsenal game I can get your tickets for yourself and your mates and you can just pay me back.

I just wanted to book my flights as early as possible in the hope that they'd not go any higher.

12th man membership is £25. I paid about €29 - Included delivery.

Tickets are on sale at the moment for pre season games and it's giving me the option to buy a multiple amount of tickets (up to 9).

If I'm able to purchase multiple tickets for the Arsenal game I can get your tickets for yourself and your mates and you can just pay me back.

That would be great if you could! There's 3 of us going. Let me get on to my mates anyway and I'll drop you a PM about it. Cheers man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Lots of talk starting again that Smith is heading to Leeds

Agreed with M5 on that.

As regards Barton being refused a visa - only right he gets the same treatment as anyone else. He respects that decision as well; according to his Twitter.

Can't see him leaving this summer but if he does; it will have been because £4m was matched and the lad was pushed out the door.

Hopefully he stays this season; continues his form both on the pitch and off it & indeed gets another couple of years added to his contract.

Pardew's frustration is really showing through now:
    NEWCASTLE boss Alan Pardew insists he will not beg striker Mevlut Erding to join the club.

The Paris St Germain frontman is high on the Magpies' wish-list, despite his indication he wants to stay in France amid a row over bonuses.

Pardew has not yet given up on the Turkey international, but says he will not pursue the matter if Erding is not desperate to play his football at St James' Park.

The Toon chief said: "It's quite easy for me — if the boy wants to stay at his club and be third choice and doesn't want to come to Newcastle, then I don't want him because Newcastle, for me, are a bigger club.

"I'm not being disrespectful and I know that Paris St Germain are in the Champions League, but with our stadium, our support and the squad we have got, we are the bigger club.

"We have to be careful. Some of the things being quoted are not from him and we have got to cut through it.

"It's difficult to criticise the player because sometimes it's the agent or someone else not getting what he wants.

"But we won't bring him to the club if he doesn't want to be here. We are certainly not going to force his hand."

Meanwhile, Newcastle fear full-back Jose Enrique is prepared to see out the last year of his existing contract and leave for free next summer after failing to agree a new deal.

Pardew added: "He's made it pretty clear that he still won't sign a contract and that his future may be elsewhere.

"I'm not really comfortable with that, but we will have to deal with it and we are still hoping that he signs a contract with us. There has to be doubt over that situation."

Arsenal and Liverpool have both been lined with Enrique.

Quite disrespectful towards the player and PSG just because he refused to go to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Was Barton not in the US on holiday a few weeks back?

Was Barton not in the US on holiday a few weeks back?

He was, on a visiting visa.
    He and Nile Ranger were rejected working visas this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Why ranger? Does he have a criminal record I am unaware of?

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Why ranger? Does he have a criminal record I am unaware of?

Yep, a street robbery. He served 3 months for it IIRC.

Think he had a part to play in robbing of mobile phones when he was 16 or 17. Was released from Southampton shortly after that and then he joined us.

If rumours are true he won't be with us much longer unfortunately.

Doocey wrote: »
    Think he had a part to play in robbing of mobile phones when he was 16 or 17. Was released from Southampton shortly after that and then he joined us.

If rumours are true he won't be with us much longer unfortunately.

He's far too much trouble than he's worth mate. I don't think he's actually any good, lower Championship is where I think he'll level out and end up, but the fact he goes around Newcastle acting the twat and bringing the club into disrepute over and over again means that it'd be the right decision to get him out ASAP.

This picture would have been the final straw for me:

Nile-Ranger.png

He's far too much trouble than he's worth mate. I don't think he's actually any good, lower Championship is where I think he'll level out and end up, but the fact he goes around Newcastle acting the twat and bringing the club into disrepute over and over again means that it'd be the right decision to get him out ASAP.

This picture would have been the final straw for me:

Nile-Ranger.png

I think he'll grow out of it, and hope so: quickly.
    He has a lot of potential and that's reason why I don't want him sold.

A lot will argue that he's píss poor but I think we'll see in time that he'll develop into a very very centre forward - probably not on Tyneside :(

The gun pose, although a fake gun would have been the last straw for the club I'm guessing.

Paully where did you get that quote from Pardew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think that's bull****. He is not a saint & never will be, loads of players throw the odd dig in anger on a football pitch-it's not a big deal. Barton is quite clearly hugely reformed from how he was a number of years ago & deserves credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Best thing for Nile Ranger would be another season in the Championship. Send him out on loan for the season, where he will get some 1st team action on a regular basis.

At least then, you would be able to properly evaluate him.

Weird piece of advice ahead of trip to Newcastle next month. "Don't bring a coat because Geordie's don't wear coats. They don't even have cloakrooms in clubs. If you wear a coat they'll know you're not from around there."

Weird piece of advice ahead of trip to Newcastle next month. "Don't bring a coat because Geordie's don't wear coats. They don't even have cloakrooms in clubs. If you wear a coat they'll know you're not from around there."

That's true lad don't wear a long sleeved sshirt either

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think that's bull****. He is not a saint & never will be, loads of players throw the odd dig in anger on a football pitch-it's not a big deal. Barton is quite clearly hugely reformed from how he was a number of years ago & deserves credit for it.

The Newcastle lads on here will tell you I've praised Barton quite a lot on here since I joined the site.

I agree he is hugely reformed from what he was like, but I'm just admitting I think he has a long way to go and I'm sure Barton himself would probably agree. He obviously has anger issues that still need to be sorted out.

I'm still trying to think of incidents last season in the Premier League or indeed the professional leagues below that a player punched another one and can't think of any at all. If you can list them then please do, but what Barton did to Pederson certainly doesn't go on all the time and it is a big deal.

As Lee Dixon says in the above clip, he plays well and then every now and again the red mist comes down. He needs to stop that IMO.

Like I've said time and time again, he's a cracking footballer. No issues there.

The Newcastle lads on here will tell you I've praised Barton quite a lot on here since I joined the site.

I agree he is hugely reformed from what he was like, but I'm just admitting I think he has a long way to go and I'm sure Barton himself would probably agree. He obviously has anger issues that still need to be sorted out.

I'm still trying to think of incidents last season in the Premier League or indeed the professional leagues below that a player punched another one and can't think of any at all. If you can list them then please do, but what Barton did to Pederson certainly doesn't go on all the time and it is a big deal.

As Lee Dixon says in the above clip, he plays well and then every now and again the red mist comes down. He needs to stop that IMO.

Like I've said time and time again, he's a cracking footballer. No issues there.

He can never rid himself of his anger issues - he has said that himself, but he's getting better at controlling it.

That's true lad don't wear a long sleeved sshirt either

I don't plan to. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

And the girls were practically nothing summer and winter! Great city!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement