Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

bazual wrote: »
    Happy Days with the result today. Really did not think that we would do it but outstanding first half display from the front 3. Roll on the pool, Colo will be badly missed especially against Suarez, Tiote might be back for a man marking job on him though. Would love to see us line out like the below and have a real go at them.

Krul
    Simps
    Willo----Perch--Jonas--
    -HBA
    Guthrie--Tiote--Cabaye-
    Cisse---Ba

Krul
    -Santon-Simps-Willo-Perch-Jonas--
    ---HBA
    Tiote----Cabaye----Ba--
    Cisse

I'd be inclined to go with this formation and get Santon and Guiti to run the flanks, letting Ba and HBA float inside and cause the sort of damage like in the first half yesterday.
    Simpson did well at CB earlier in the year and Perch and Williamson will need help. This is what i would like to see happen but Pardew will more than likely stick to the 4-3-3. Tiote back will be a big plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

How do people feel about Sunday? I think we are badly exposed at the back now. We will definitely rely on having to outscore them, Keegan style. Could be a good game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

happyman81 wrote: »
    How do people feel about Sunday? I think we are badly exposed at the back now. We will definitely rely on having to outscore them, Keegan style. Could be a good game!

Am fairly worried. Pool seem to always have a performance in them against the higher teams especially when least expected. The one thing I hope is that Suarez doesn't bring his scoring boots (which has happened a lot this season). Wouldn't it be typical for Carroll to get on the scoresheet against us! We are week at the back there is no two ways about it, I hope we have enough up front to outscore them as you say. The way people are going on, we have this game won already. I wouldn't be near so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Quite nervous about Sunday.

I might be going a bit mental here due to the sun but bare with me. How about a back four of:
    Simpson --- Perch --- Shola --- Santon

That_Guy wrote: »
    Quite nervous about Sunday.

I might be going a bit mental here due to the sun but bare with me. How about a back four of:
    Simpson --- Perch --- Shola --- Santon

Isn't Santon able to play CB? I think Williamson has to stay, just for some continuity. Get Tiote to play deeper back to provide cover.

Isn't Santon able to play CB? I think Williamson has to stay, just for some continuity. Get Tiote to play deeper back to provide cover.

Williamson has been continuously shocking. He's gone backwards. The type of player who'd cost us a game. Much like Titus Shambles.

Williamson has been continuously shocking. He's gone backwards. The type of player who'd cost us a game. Much like Titus Shambles.

Yeah, but Shola? What is he, Dion Dublin?

Yeah, but Shola? What is he, Dion Dublin?

I told ya, I'm going mental with the sun. Or if he's fit do this:
    Raylor --- Simpson --- Perch --- Santon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Personally think iron mike has been doing ok, he's not top class and lacks a bit of pace but he is super in the air and is steady enough. Dont think he is anything like Bramble.

When he plays with coloccini (who minds him) he is grand, wouldnt like to see him beside someone like Perch though.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Personally think iron mike has been doing ok, he's not top class and lacks a bit of pace but he is super in the air and is steady enough. Dont think he is anything like Bramble.

When he plays with coloccini (who minds him) he is grand, wouldnt like to see him beside someone like Perch though.

I know Willo is playing consistently but Perch has really come on and has performed solidly. I'd trust him over Willo at this stage myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Doesn't take a genius to see that Williamson is our weak point in defence.
    Slow, poor communication with Krul (umpteens times now!) - very much a squad player. When he's good, he's brilliant; when he's poor, he's shocking.

I'd nearly try Cheik out at CB to be honest!

Williamson has to start to be able to compete with Carroll in the air. None of Simpson, Perch or Santon can. Pity to be missing our two starting CB's , really struggle with Colo out of the team. Is there a chance he could play saying that he played on for 5 minutes after he was first holding his hammy.. Mind games and all..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thats a point i meant to bring up gav86, why the feck was he left on? and why did he not go down? Having had many a hamstring injury myself, once its tight it wont losen out and you only do progressively more damage.

He's apparently out for 4 weeks now, could have been only 2. Worst of all we were 3 nil up at the time. Ridiculous.

gav86 wrote: »
    Williamson has to start to be able to compete with Carroll in the air. None of Simpson, Perch or Santon can. Pity to be missing our two starting CB's , really struggle with Colo out of the team. Is there a chance he could play saying that he played on for 5 minutes after he was first holding his hammy.. Mind games and all..:rolleyes:

Good point about Carroll, Williamson has to start for us. Play Perch at CB and Tiote deep in midfield, and that should cover the bigot. The hopefully our trio upfront will work their magic.

For all Williamsons faults he is the only recognised CB we have so cant be dropped for a midfielder no matter how well Tiote could slot in there. Tiote wont know the position either.

Interesting in the commentary they said Pardew was asking Colo could he do 5 mins til HT and the answer was no and Santon went back onto the bench..
    It shows how important Colo is to the team but if he's injured he has to go off.

For anyone who might have missed arguably his best performance in a Newcastle United shirt to date:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Might be a bold statement but:

Ben Arfa = Ginola
    Doocey wrote: »
    For anyone who might have missed arguably his best performance in a Newcastle United shirt to date:

I think he is the most technically gifted player since Asprilla. As we saw with Asprilla its how that talent is applied that is important.

The weekend will be tough. Our backline is extremely weak. Bare bones really. That said Liverpool are hardly scintillating up front either at the moment. That said they should really be scoring more than they get in most games. If they click on Sunday it could be a problem for us..

I think go 4 3 3 and attack as playing it tight is a huge risk with our backline

M5 wrote: »
    I think go 4 3 3 and attack as playing it tight is a huge risk with our backline

We've got the means to do it. We've got a fair bit of pace too. Would like to see Ben Arfa V Enrique. Could be very interesting that.

We've got the means to do it. We've got a fair bit of pace too. Would like to see Ben Arfa V Enrique. Could be very interesting that.

Problem is Colo is such an intelligent player, he sees danger very quickly, Willo is a liability truth be told so playing a high line, effectively with no one to mop up, could also be dodgy...

• Advertisement

Problem is Colo is such an intelligent player, he sees danger very quickly, Willo is a liability truth be told so playing a high line, effectively with no one to mop up, could also be dodgy...

It's gonna be 10-9 isn't it? :D

It's gonna be 10-9 isn't it? :D

Lool... i woudnt rule it out.

Lool... i woudnt rule it out.

Gonna have a punt on it being 3-2 to us. 25/1 with Patrick Power.

EDIT: Shola with the winner too.

"SHOLA CLOSING IN!!!!"

Gonna have a punt on it being 3-2 to us. 25/1 with Patrick Power.

It would be nice to be on the right end of a 4:3 too :)

Pardiola has said that Perch is going to play at centre back with Williamson this weekend. Also said that Raylor and Tiote are available.
    Krul

Simmo --- Perch --- Willo --- Santon

Ben Arfa --- Cabaye --- Tiote --- Jonas

Ba --- Cisse

I thought Guthrie had an excellent game V WBA but I think we need that presence in midfield which is something Guthrie doesn't really have. All depends on how fit Tiote is really.

Going forward we have enough pace to quickly turn it into this type of formation.
    Krul

Simmo --- Perch --- Willo --- Santon

Cabaye --- Tiote --- Jonas

Ben Arfa

Cisse --- Ba

Give Ben Arfa that free role he had when we attacked at WBA. His movement off the ball will drag players out of position. Any sort of decent cross or loose balls into the box and Cisse will always have a gamble. Very smart player and always finds himself in key positions. He's also like another midfielder. His work ethic and tracking back is immense which is what we need because Liverpool do have a lot of pace and defending from the front is key.

I have a feeling it'll be a high scoring game but our attack is hitting the right notes at a pivotal point in the run in to the end of the season so hopefully we keep that going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

williamson with MOTM, he had a good game for once! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

As a Liverpool fan I'm very disappointed with today's game but the better team definitely won today.

Amazing season that I don't think even the most optimistic of Newcastle fans could have imagined.

amiable wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I'm very disappointed with today's game but the better team definitely won today.

Amazing season that I don't think even the most optimistic of Newcastle fans could have imagined.

Your right there, crazy really. Tough one to take for Liverpool today, it could have been oh so different if Carroll had rolled the ball into the net when clean through.

Well I wouldn't say that........ ;) :pac:

Your right there, crazy really. Tough one to take for Liverpool today, it could have been oh so different if Carroll had rolled the ball into the net when clean through.

He's claiming he didn't dive and that he stumbled.

I'm not buying it. As you say it could have been different but you need to take your chances when they come your way and Newcastle did. Can't argue with that.

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't say that........ ;) :pac:

Well fair play if you did think Newcastle would seriously challenge for a top 4 berth.
    You are either slightly eccentric or extremely positive:p

Thought we'd do incredibly well to come top ten alright, knew we had great players but thought we'd the wrong manager, what a season it has been indeed

This is mental lads. Seriously, fúcking mental. Depending on the Spurs result, we're level on points with Chelsea and 2 points adrift of 4th... Mental.

Well fair play if you did think Newcastle would seriously challenge for a top 4 berth.

Hes both i think, even during the worst of times he's infuriatingly positive:p

Nah didn't expect such an effort but I was confident we'd surprise a few people this season for sure.
    Extremely pleased with our player recruitment above anything else. :)

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Thought we'd do incredibly well to come top ten alright, knew we had great players but thought we'd the wrong manager, what a season it has been indeed

Not over yet. Newcastle have goalscorers in the team and the team seems to play for eachother

This is mental lads. Seriously, fúcking mental. Depending on the Spurs result, we're level on points with Chelsea and 2 points adrift of 4th... Mental.

Sooo, its mental then? :)

We wont get CL lads, not a snowballs, our fixtures and the gap are too much to overcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You just know that, and I say this as a Sunderland fan too because it's the same with us, that something will happen in the summer and fuck it all up. It always happens when things start looking up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Andy Carroll doing his best Michael Chopra impression today was hilarious. What a coward.

Paully D wrote: »
    You just know that, and I say this as a Sunderland fan too because it's the same with us, that something will happen in the summer and fuck it all up. It always happens when things start looking up :pac:

I pretty sure your right:(

....so im gona enjoy it while it lasts!

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

There is no reason to suggest, in my opinion, that us and ye shouldn't be challenging for top 4 next season. Think Spurs will lose Harry and Modric, and for Chelsea it'll no doubt be a rebuilding process.

I know that it might sound greedy but I really feel that we had a serious chance to get top 4 this season. Injuries haven't helped and we need to get a lot more depth into the squad for next season. It sickens me to see though that dropped points at home to teams like Wolves, WBA, Swansea and away to Norwich have cost us dearly. Saying that we have gotten some outstanding results too that I didn't expect.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    There is no reason to suggest, in my opinion, that us and ye shouldn't be challenging for top 4 next season. Think Spurs will lose Harry and Modric, and for Chelsea it'll no doubt be a rebuilding process.

I know that it might sound greedy but I really feel that we had a serious chance to get top 4 this season. Injuries haven't helped and we need to get a lot more depth into the squad for next season. It sickens me to see though that dropped points at home to teams like Wolves, WBA, Swansea and away to Norwich have cost us dearly. Saying that we have gotten some outstanding results too that I didn't expect.

25+ years of following newcastle suggests it will unfortunately!

Sooo, its mental then? :)

We wont get CL lads, not a snowballs, our fixtures and the gap are too much to overcome

Oi fack off with your negativity. A touch of the Doocey will sort you out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fair play lads, thought you's would fall away after Christmas but you's are in with an outside chance of Champions League football next season. Some going.

I've been pulling for you's most weeks, mostly because the gf supports Newcastle so she does be in a great mood when they win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Kudos on the win today and the season overall. Just one thing I was wondering, how do the fans feel about Ashley now? I felt they were extremely unfair on him a few years back when he (as far as I know) had done very little other than pump money into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Was it just me, or did anyone else think we weren't great today?

I'm not trying to take anything away from a great win and its actually a positive we can win without being at our best.

But I think we have another couple of gears in us, especially in midfield. Wont take anything away from the backline, considering how makeshift it was.

amacachi wrote: »
    Kudos on the win today and the season overall. Just one thing I was wondering, how do the fans feel about Ashley now? I felt they were extremely unfair on him a few years back when he (as far as I know) had done very little other than pump money into the club.

You may want to research that a little more....

TaosHum wrote: »

I'm not trying to take anything away from a great win and its actually a positive we can win without being at our best.

But I think we have another couple of gears in us, especially in midfield. Wont take anything away from the backline, considering how makeshift it was.

We were not great, Liverpool were gash though.... After the second went in our lads had an easy day

TaosHum wrote: »

Newcastle weren't great but they didn't need to be.
    They took their chances when they came and defended well.

• Advertisement

Lads is there any news on the extent of James Perch's injury? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement