Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

amiable wrote: »
    Lads is there any news on the extent of James Perch's injury? :p
    Yeah he has a sore neck from looking down at liverpool in the league table

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

kennyb3 wrote: »

Why would you need to look down at a league table?
    I was more thinking of the injury he seemed to sustain during yesterdays game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

kennyb3 wrote: »
    amiable wrote: »
    Lads is there any news on the extent of James Perch's injury? :p

It is a long way down. Perchy should stick to looking upward, a much shorter distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Moving on to Friday's game:

tumblr_m1uh95UJwi1qz7guco1_500.png

EDIT: Looking at our fixtures for April. Swansea (a), Bolton (h), Wigan (a), Stoke (h). If we can get 10 points from these games..... *faints*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    EDIT: Looking at our fixtures for April. Swansea (a), Bolton (h), Wigan (a), Stoke (h). If we can get 10 points from these games..... *faints*

You'll get 8 points from those games, IMO. You won't get Champions League but are virtually guaranteed Europa League now.

On a related note, how do you think you'll do balancing the Europa League with Premier League with a small squad? You'll probably add 3 or 4 players in the summer but you'd have to expect that 3 or 4 will attract attention from bigger clubs too. Stoke were in a similar position and have struggled for long periods this season and are now 13th, not a bad season all things considered but their fans expected them to challenge for 7th and haven't been too happy with the league position. Do you think the same will happen with Newcastle, or how do you see it going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless Everton win the FA Cup, Newcastle will be garuanteed a Europe Place with a 6th place finish?

G.K. wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless Everton win the FA Cup, Newcastle will be garuanteed a Europe Place with a 6th place finish?

Actually, I may have jumped the gun on saying they're guaranteed qualification.

I think it's as simple as this - If Everton beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final then the Mags need to finish 5th. If Liverpool win, 6th is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Paully D wrote: »
    Actually, I may have jumped the gun on saying they're guaranteed qualification.

I think it's as simple as this - If Everton beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final then the Mags need to finish 5th. If Liverpool win, 6th is good enough.

Thats correct. If Chelsea win the CL but dont qualify we could actually finish 5th and not qualify for the europa, far from certain yet

In other news @_Erik_Pieters_ is taking a bit of interest in the toon on his twitter feed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

You'll get 8 points from those games, IMO. You won't get Champions League but are virtually guaranteed Europa League now.

On a related note, how do you think you'll do balancing the Europa League with Premier League with a small squad? You'll probably add 3 or 4 players in the summer but you'd have to expect that 3 or 4 will attract attention from bigger clubs too. Stoke were in a similar position and have struggled for long periods this season and are now 13th, not a bad season all things considered but their fans expected them to challenge for 7th and haven't been too happy with the league position. Do you think the same will happen with Newcastle, or how do you see it going?

Yeah there is no doubt we'd need to sign a substantial amount of players to provide the depth needed to compete in Europe as well as the PL, the last time we were in the Uefa I remember we were plagued with injuries, we had to regularly name academy players (Carroll was one at the time) on the bench. Would hate a repeat, but I'm confident that we'll hold onto most with such a good year this season, Ba and Ben Arfa are the most likely to go, other than that I can see the rest staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Lads, why is our game against Swansea on Friday at 4.30? I know it's Good Friday and that but is there another better reason?? Seems fairly odd to have a game on a Friday, is it a bank holiday in England or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Cake Man wrote: »
    Lads, why is our game against Swansea on Friday at 4.30? I know it's Good Friday and that but is there another better reason?? Seems fairly odd to have a game on a Friday, is it a bank holiday in England or what?

yes it's a bank holiday in the UK. Always surprised me that it wasn't in ireland.

M5 wrote: »
    Thats correct. If Chelsea win the CL but dont qualify we could actually finish 5th and not qualify for the europa, far from certain yet

In other news @_Erik_Pieters_ is taking a bit of interest in the toon on his twitter feed....

I'd imagine Pieters is all but signed to be honest. Lots of talk last season but it just didn't happen so I'd expect Newcastle to have got that signing over the line for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Just chiming in, but I think it will all come down to what Ashely wants to do with the players who will garnish interest.

This off-season will really show what his ambitions for the club are. I fear the worst, but the signing of Cisse and the fee paid for him might suggest he could try build on it. But I'd still be surprised if we didn't sell 1 or 2 of our better prospects.

Pardew apparently said in a talk-in that you've signed a CB for the summer. I suppose it's that Douglas from Twente?

I think Ashley has shown that he isn't afraid of selling a star player if it produces a good return on the initial investment as he assumes that a similar player can be bought cheaper thanks to our scouts. His recent history has proven him to be correct on this, so we may see more of the same.

Thoughts on the line up for Swansea lads? Not sure if I like Jonas at left back. I much prefer him coming back and helping out. I think I'd have Santon back in for Friday asiote I think we'll need his pace to keep up with Sinclair on their right.

How I'd line up.
    Krul

Simpson --- Perch --- Willo --- Santon

Hatem Bomb --- Cabaye --- Tiote --- Jonas

Ba --- Cisse

It'll be a tough game. Both sides have a lot of pace so should be an interesting game to watch. We'll need to be dominant in midfield and Cisse will act as that extra midfielder. His work rate is exceptional so hopefully we'll get a bit of joy.

Team should be absolutely buzzing after 3 wins on the bounce and will want to stay in touching distance of Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

That_Guy wrote: »
    We'll need to be dominant in midfield and Cisse will act as that extra midfielder. His work rate is exceptional so hopefully we'll get a bit of joy.

Surely you mean ba? Cisse has been the out and out centre forward with ba and ben arfa dropping back to help out. To my eyes Ba has been working his socks off whereas cisse is focussing on movement up front and getting in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Pardew apparently said in a talk-in that you've signed a CB for the summer. I suppose it's that Douglas from Twente?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. .

Not too disappointed with you winning today, keeps Swansea below us and us in 9th.

Will you be cheering for Sunderland tomorrow? :eek:

You'll get at least 7 points, probably 9, from your next 3 games as well.

Still think 4th is a spot too far but you could get 5th to seal a European spot. How sick would you be if you finish 6th but Everton beat Liverpool in the FA Cup to take the final European spot? :pac:

Not too disappointed with you winning today, keeps Swansea below us and us in 9th.

Will you be cheering for Sunderland tomorrow? :eek:

You'll get at least 7 points, probably 9, from your next 3 games as well.

Still think 4th is a spot too far but you could get 5th to seal a European spot. How sick would you be if you finish 6th but Everton beat Liverpool in the FA Cup to take the final European spot? :pac:

Would get over it, not getting into Europa next season could be a blessing yet who knows :D Champs league would be insane though, that horror run around Christmas could be what ultimately costs us :(

• Advertisement

What a finish that was for Papiss's second.
    Phenomenal - no other word for it.

Fantastic win continues a fantastic season. We'll give it our all till the end of the season and then look at the table.
    Seems Paully_D can't help but talk about our PL position - sign of a good season eh?

HTL.

Doocey wrote: »
    What a finish that was for Papiss's second.
    Phenomenal - no other word for it.

Fantastic win continues a fantastic season. We'll give it our all till the end of the season and then look at the table.
    Seems Paully_D can't help but talk about our PL position - sign of a good season eh?

HTL.

Yep, you've had a very good season it would be pointless denying it. Fair play. I was getting bored of being top-dogs after 3 seasons in a row anyway ;)

Nice one Sky :pac:

554997553.jpg?key=586523&Expires=1333738519&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=sn~YVs2MFXAdas~Mq33BItIvEei~W8MEY4Wd68JPt8uOK6ejAJCcuzReyP-HY2eH-xxyul22sosAx16jj1wQRzTMKM-4Glv5TiUfC96VzExufUkm~Ein7Ca6GpLUyBEDZwqrwW~yseUEDfwO78-JXMPKhN-U4bOBXn33ERnPF4E_

Paully is a Geordie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

M5 wrote: »
    You may want to research that a little more....

Got a link to anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

the odds on newcastle finishing fourth are really good at the moment, Im gonna put some money on them and I only bet on sure things

I think were definitely going to be ahead of Chelsea come the end of the season, they have both the FA cup and champions league to worry about and their squads age, fitness must be a worry for them also. Most of that team know their not gonna be at chelsea next season and the champions league is by far and away their main priorty now. One last hurrah and all that

Arsenal imo peaked too soon, they seem to have had their run already and I can see them dropping more points against city tommorrow. They are extremely reliant on Van Persie and a loss of form or injury to him would finish them off. They seem like a weak minded squad and I think if they were put under more pressure (by us) they could very well crack

I can see us with our mementum and Spurs claiming the two remaining champions league spots.

amacachi wrote: »
    Got a link to anything?

Here.

And just in case that becomes too difficult...

Ashley bought the club on the 25th of July 2007.

Net Spending:

Season 07/08: £7,650,000
    Season 08/09: -£2,750,000
    Season 09/10: -£24,000,000
    Season 10/11: -£24,750,000
    Season 11/12: £13,600,000

Total Net Spend: -£30,250,000

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/newcastle-united-transfers.html

leonidas83 wrote: »
    the odds on newcastle finishing fourth are really good at the moment, Im gonna put some money on them and I only bet on sure things

I think were definitely going to be ahead of Chelsea come the end of the season, they have both the FA cup and champions league to worry about and their squads age, fitness must be a worry for them also. Most of that team know their not gonna be at chelsea next season and the champions league is by far and away their main priorty now. One last hurrah and all that

Arsenal imo peaked too soon, they seem to have had their run already and I can see them dropping more points against city tommorrow. They are extremely reliant on Van Persie and a loss of form or injury to him would finish them off. They seem like a weak minded squad and I think if they were put under more pressure (by us) they could very well crack

I can see us with our mementum and Spurs claiming the two remaining champions league spots.

If form is anything to go by, it will be us and Arsenal.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

leonidas83 wrote: »

Yes that 95th minute winner a couple of weeks back was really weak-minded :rolleyes:

Champions League... Lads calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

happyman81 wrote: »

Net Spending:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/newcastle-united-transfers.html

Has there not been a ****-ton of debt paid off in that time as well?

amacachi wrote: »

Net Spending:

Has there not been a ****-ton of debt paid off in that time as well?

£30.25m goes a long way towards that, no? On that note, where is your link regarding Ashley personally using his money to pay off debt, and not simply club revenue? The club does generate revenue, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Impressive result today. Even though Swansea totally outplayed us, Cisse's rediculous finishings was what seperated the two teams.

Was also greatly encouraged by the organization/discipline shown when we didn't have the ball. Biggest plus for me today.

£30.25m goes a long way towards that, no? On that note, where is your link regarding Ashley personally using his money to pay off debt, and not simply club revenue? The club does generate revenue, remember.

Mike Ashley has given you over £100m in interest free loan to help finance the debts at the club. Without it you would have been screwed. This is a fact.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/09/mike-ashley-sorting-the-facts-from-the-myths-including-that-debt/#.T396GatSRSQ
    The accounts revealed that while the Aldridge Prior of football didn’t take back any repaynents on loans in the club’s relegation year, or from his well documented £111 million interest free loan (which is repayable on demand) but that he is indeed clawing back at least some of his loans to the club.

As I've said before he can recall that in the morning, so Newcastle fans should be careful what they wish for with regards to Ashley. But as Sky Sports said earlier, the chants of Ashley Out have, funnily enough, stopped now.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    Impressive result today. Even though Swansea totally outplayed us, Cisse's rediculous finishings was what seperated the two teams.

Was also greatly encouraged by the organization/discipline shown when we didn't have the ball. Biggest plus for me today.

Have a look at this mate:

06xsN.png

Swansea with all the possession but they did nothing with it. To be honest I wouldn't even say they outplayed you. They went backwards, sideways, backwards and sideways again with the ball until they got near the final 3rd and they couldn't do a thing with it.

Newcastle showed perfectly how to play against Swansea today. Well deserved win.

Mike Ashley has given you over £100m in interest free loan to help finance the debts at the club. Without it you would have been screwed. This is a fact.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/09/mike-ashley-sorting-the-facts-from-the-myths-including-that-debt/#.T396GatSRSQ
    The accounts revealed that while the Aldridge Prior of football didn’t take back any repaynents on loans in the club’s relegation year, or from his well documented £111 million interest free loan (which is repayable on demand) but that he is indeed clawing back at least some of his loans to the club.

As I've said before he can recall that in the morning, so Newcastle fans should be careful what they wish for with regards to Ashley. But as Sky Sports said earlier, the chants of Ashley Out have, funnily enough, stopped now.

You know, giving someone a loan - even an interest free one - cannot be defined as someone 'ploughing money into a club'. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not wishing anything about Ashley, I'm just interested in separating fact from fiction, so until someone produces evidence of Ashley actually sinking non-refundable cash into the club, I would be interested. Until then, stop wasting my time with this rubbish.

In case there is any ambiguity here, allow me to give a simple analogy. I presume you have seen Dragon's Den before. When Duncan Bannatine invests £100,000 in someone's business, he isn't lending them the money, he is taking a risk by investing in the future earning potential of the business, and if the business fails, he loses all his money and has no comeback.

Alternatively, had that person gone to the bank and got a loan (even an interest free one), and the business failed, that person would still be liable for some of the debt, as the bank could pursue them in court.

It says a lot that Ashley would actually lend money to a business that he owns in it's entirety, doesn't it? Why not give the money to his own business? Hmm.

Can you tell the difference? Which one applies to Ashley?

While that Chelsea win was sickening today I think they'll struggle in their next few. Fulham and Arsenal are their next two games and can see them losing both. They're both away too. The CL and FA cup will take it outta them too and I feel that we can definitely get something at the bridge too. Bolton for us is incredibly winnable on Mon and with Wigan and Stoke the next two after that we could have great momentum going into the game at the Bridge.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    While that Chelsea win was sickening today I think they'll struggle in their next few. Fulham and Arsenal are their next two games and can see them losing both. They're both away too. The CL and FA cup will take it outta them too and I feel that we can definitely get something at the bridge too. Bolton for us is incredibly winnable on Mon and with Wigan and Stoke the next two after that we could have great momentum going into the game at the Bridge.

And Chelsea still have to play Arsenal so you never know. Would've been in our own hands if Wigan had managed to hold on for the draw. Would've been very interesting to say the least.

On the bright side, City losing today means they will have nothing to play for when they meet us.

• Advertisement

On the bright side, City losing today means they will have nothing to play for when they meet us.

I fancied us taking them either way.

Just think it'll be that bit tougher now to be honest!

Two late goals from teams above us - Arsenal & Chelsea, bit of a sickener.

Looking at that table today though, you just never know...... :pac:

Doocey wrote: »

I fancied us taking them either way.

Just think it'll be that bit tougher now to be honest!

Two late goals from teams above us - Arsenal & Chelsea, bit of a sickener.

Looking at that table today though, you just never know...... :pac:

That team scarcely has the resolve when they need it, now they have to show teamwork when they have no reason to? I hope I'm right anyway.

18115090.jpg

Paully in obsessing over Newcastle shocker. ;) Kidding pal.

I didn't want Pardew at all Paully but he's made me eat my words and to be honest, his tactics and the way he's gotten the team playing has exceeded all expectations. I don't think even the most positive of Newcastle fans (yes I include you Doocey mate :pac:) could have forseen the position we've gotten ourselves into.

Call it fickle or whatever but to take a team that was hotly tipped for relegation to the brink of a Europa League place is a remarkable feat having spent very little (Cisse aside) on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Delighted Colo and Cabaye are fit today. Perchino moves up to midfield for Tiote.

NUFC: Krul, Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon, Cabaye, Perch, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse
    subs bench Elliot, Ferguson, Tavernier, R.Taylor, Abeid, Gosling, Ameobi

BWFC: Bogdan, Steinsson, Wheater, Ream, Ricketts, Eagles, M Davies, Pratley, Reo-Coker, Petrov, K Davies

Delighted to see Colo back. Nice to see Perch continue his good run in the side. I think midfield suits him better to be honest but he certainly did very well as cover for Colo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Very flat so far. Bolton have set up their tactics well.

I have a muck stream. Any good Eng ones?

Very frustrating first half. Ba's touch has been absolute dirt today. Haven't created any clear cut. Crosses are far too close to their keeper. We've had a lot of possession but Bolton look comfortable. Need to change our tactics because right now it's not working.

Ferguson on, Perch off. Interesting. More attack minded approach I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement