Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

We got lucky there, lets hope its an omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sort this shíte out.

This game is calling out for Shola to just hold things up and bring players into play.

That_Guy wrote: »
    This game is calling out for Shola to just hold things up and bring players into play.

;)

Usually we have 1 or 2 of our best players playing well to win a game. We have no attacking ones today. Colo is playing well but HBA, Papiss, Ba, Cabaye all having quiet games. Come on Shola........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Spurs 1-2 Norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Ba didn't look happy, won't be a toon player next season I'd imagine. Spurs and Chelsea could well drop points today what a bloody opportunity this is!

Shane Ferguson looks a canny player.

What a fúcking goal. Unreal HBA

• Advertisement

What a goal.

YEssssss! What an opportunity this is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Please Ashley do not sell him.

Keep the head now, I would bring on Raylor for Papiss now.

I love Ben Arfa.

The Mackems losing too :D Please Norwich hold out and I will forgive you for beating us 4-2 earlier in season

• Advertisement

Get in!!

Ba must be pissed lol
    Cisse again

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Papiss Cisse, unreal. Never stops and always a danger. Raylor for Cisse, maybe not lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle for 4th (please!)

• Advertisement

Patience is key lads. BELIEVE!!!

CISSE I LOVE YOU!!! Mackems 4-0 down it keeps getting better, Now come on the Canaries!

Come on Fulham!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    199708.jpg

Unbelievable! For the first time this season I now genuinely believe we can get top 4. We have some crucial thing Spurs and Chelsea don't- momentum. And that is key at this stage of the season. Keep on believing. Genuinely didn't see Spurs losing at home today, is it all beginning to fall into place?

Stoke at home next and then Wigan- two incredibly winnable games. Come on the toon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

id love to see newcastle get in to 4th ahead of redknapp fc or chelski.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Crikey, Newcastle have a serious chance of CL football now.

We can still get 2nd, hahaha. Sign of a great team when you play poorly in your last 2 games and still get 6 points and not concede a goal.

One pure genius moment from Ben Arfa won this but credit has to go to Pardew for fantastic substitutions which had an influence on the game.

Only for that late winner in the Arsenal game we would be sitting pretty in third now............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cgpg5 wrote: »
    CISSE I LOVE YOU!!! Mackems 4-0 down it keeps getting better, Now come on the Canaries!

You've just gone level with the team in the final Champions League spot and you're talking about our result? Obsessed :pac: Only joking mate.

Seriously though, I still don't think you'll get 4th spot. You will win your next two games, but after that you have 3 games which I think you will lose or maybe take 1 point from.

The way Tottenham are playing lately it's hard to tell, but they will be favorites going into every one of their remaining games.

Chelsea have a bit of fixture congestion but they will get knocked out of the CL by Barca and will expect to beat you at home, QPR at home and Blackburn at home too.

I have Newcastle 6th and that would be a great season, if you miss out on Europe now though (which will happen if you finish 6th and Everton win the FA Cup semi) then it will be very disappointing from a Newcastle point of view I'd imagine.

Remaining Fixtures

Arsenal|Spurs|Newcastle|Chelsea
    Wolves (a)|X|X|Fulham (a)
    Wigan (h)|QPR (a)|Stoke (h)|Arsenal (a)
    Chelsea (h)|Blackburn (h)| Wigan (a)|QPR (h)
    Stoke (a)| Bolton (a)| Chelsea (a)| Newcastle (h)
    Norwich (h)| Villa (a)| Man City (h)|Liverpool (a)
    West Brom (a)| Fulham (h)|Everton (a)| Blackburn (h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

With regards to Spurs, Everton and Chelsea in the cups, what should we be hoping for with regards to claiming a Europa League spot?

I'm trying with all my might not to get carried away with the possibility of CL next season, just want to wrap up an EL place first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TaosHum wrote: »
    With regards to Spurs, Everton and Chelsea in the cups, what should we be hoping for with regards to claiming a Europa League spot?

I'm trying with all my might not to get carried away with the possibility of CL next season, just want to wrap up an EL place first.

Spurs and Chelsea will finish in the top 6 anyway, so you don't really need to hope for anything from them. Everton will make Europe ahead of the 6th place team by beating Liverpool in the FA semi.

So basically, Newcastle need to hope they finish higher than 6th OR if they finish 6th they need to hope that Liverpool beat Everton in the FA Cup semi if 6th places wants European football.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Paully D wrote: »
    You've just gone level with the team in the final Champions League spot and you're talking about our result? Obsessed :pac: Only joking mate.

Seriously though, I still don't think you'll get 4th spot. You will win your next two games, but after that you have 3 games which I think you will lose or maybe take 1 point from.

The way Tottenham are playing lately it's hard to tell, but they will be favorites going into every one of their remaining games.

Chelsea have a bit of fixture congestion but they will get knocked out of the CL by Barca and will expect to beat you at home, QPR at home and Blackburn at home too.

I have Newcastle 6th and that would be a great season, if you miss out on Europe now though (which will happen if you finish 6th and Everton win the FA Cup semi) then it will be very disappointing from a Newcastle point of view I'd imagine.
    I don't know, Chelsea have a horrible run of fixtures coming and City and Everton may have nothing left to play for by then (indeed Everton might have a cup final to prepare for), and if Newcastle win their next two they'll have huge momentum.

It's a fascinating end to the season at any rate.

unbelieveble goal

imager.php?id=1058306&t=o

Time to remind ourselves of the Momentum Table again:

hwhhfs.jpg

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

Ha! And it was only on Saturday I was shouting for ye ;) haha

But I really couldn't see us doing it before now but what a chance we have. We have momentum which is huge. Spurs are at 6's and 7's and Chelsea are all over the place I really don't see them challenging too much tbh. Champs league is their priority I feel. It would be most un-Arsenal-like too to not give their fans a reason for frustration at the end of the season and I see them losing/drawing a few that they should win.

I'm still looking at that awful run of games we had around Christmas and I can't help but feel if we had a bigger squad all season we'd be a shoe in for top 4.

MD1990 wrote: »
    unbelieveble goal

There was a joke in another thread that Messi would have to join a team like us to be proven the best ever.

Would he make the team?? haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not trying to annoy you guys because I've always liked Newcastle United and their fans. Just a question, does Mike Ashley get the plaudits for whats happening now?

I personally thought he was a moron and an underhanded type of dude and he has certainly gotten lots of stick over his time at the club. But now with this turnaround is he entitled to get a chant going about him or a standing ovation sometime when he enters the ground?

The sacking of Hughton seemed like a ridiculous move but its worked out very well, the sale of Carroll also seems to have worked out extremely well. The year you went down and got rid of a lot of what I call mercenaries seems to have played a crucial role in this revival. I just think he has proven himself a very good owner now. What are your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Doocey wrote: »
    I fancied us taking them either way.

Looking at that table today though, you just never know...... :pac:

:D Fantastic win that. Years previous we wouldn't have got that goal (mainly because we had no one really with the ability like Benny) like we did today.

World-class goal as well, his touch in his own half ♥

If Fulham do us a favour tonight I'll be a very happy man.

There's no reason why we can get 9 or more points from our remaining fixtures this season!

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not trying to annoy you guys because I've always liked Newcastle United and their fans. Just a question, does Mike Ashley get the plaudits for whats happening now?

I personally thought he was a moron and an underhanded type of dude and he has certainly gotten lots of stick over his time at the club. But now with this turnaround is he entitled to get a chant going about him or a standing ovation sometime when he enters the ground?

The sacking of Hughton seemed like a ridiculous move but its worked out very well, the sale of Carroll also seems to have worked out extremely well. The year you went down and got rid of a lot of what I call mercenaries seems to have played a crucial role in this revival. I just think he has proven himself a very good owner now. What are your thoughts?

His approach up until relegation was terrible. I honestly thought he had it in for the club, despite owning it. Since we went down, he changed his approach and now we look a more tidy outfit for it. So I am now impressed by him, hopefully he has learned his lessons from the first couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

happyman81 wrote: »
    You know, giving someone a loan - even an interest free one - cannot be defined as someone 'ploughing money into a club'. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not wishing anything about Ashley, I'm just interested in separating fact from fiction, so until someone produces evidence of Ashley actually sinking non-refundable cash into the club, I would be interested. Until then, stop wasting my time with this rubbish.

In case there is any ambiguity here, allow me to give a simple analogy. I presume you have seen Dragon's Den before. When Duncan Bannatine invests £100,000 in someone's business, he isn't lending them the money, he is taking a risk by investing in the future earning potential of the business, and if the business fails, he loses all his money and has no comeback.

Alternatively, had that person gone to the bank and got a loan (even an interest free one), and the business failed, that person would still be liable for some of the debt, as the bank could pursue them in court.

It says a lot that Ashley would actually lend money to a business that he owns in it's entirety, doesn't it? Why not give the money to his own business? Hmm.

Can you tell the difference? Which one applies to Ashley?

Meh, fair enough, if a massive interest-free loan from an owner to allow a club to clear a load of debt isn't enough for an owner to do then we'll have to agree to differ.

eagle eye wrote: »

I'll give Ashley credit in terms of basically getting rid of our debt and he has us running on an even keel which is great. He's done some stupid things off the field and the lack of communication to fans is something that is seriously lacking but as a business man and from a financial point of view I'll give him credit.

I think a fair slice of the plaudits have to go to our chief scout Graham Carr. He's unearthed some real quality over the last few years and full credit to Pardew and his tactics and the players who have bought into his philosophy and are reaping their rewards for it.

I don't think he'll ever be greeted with a standing ovation. He had a large part to play in our relegation season. Ok, the players weren't doing the job either but changing managers left, right and centre wasn't helping matters. He's stuck by the club since and has put his own money into the club but getting rid of the singing section this season, taking down the famous 'Newcastle United' sign atop the East Stand and replacing it with Sports Direct type lettering was annoying. Hell the rebranding of the stadium was an absolute joke.

He doesn't do himself a lot of favours by doing these things. If there was good communication between fans and fan groups and they gave reasons as to why they were making certain changes then I think fans would be able to live with him and maybe buy into what they're trying to achieve.

As a business man he's done brilliantly to be fair but his poor communication makes it hard to trust the chap.

Pardew has done well since coming in but at the time I, like many other fans and even neutral fans would have been dismayed as to what was happening. Getting rid of the only person who would take on the job in the Championship, breaking the 100 point barrier in the Championship and getting us back up straight away without complaining and really uniting players and fans when the club was in a serious state of transition.

It's not as if we were in a bad position in the Premier League when he got sacked. Pardew has come in and done extremely well and I've warmed to him and then some but I think credit has to be given to Hughton in terms of uniting the dressing room and I think the back bone of our squad we have now are all the better for it.

In hindsight the selling of Carroll, Nolan, Barton and Enrique have worked well in our favour but at the time it was heartbreaking to see what was essentially our spine being ripped apart with unknown players (to me anyway) coming in and taking their place.

Ashley's been shrewd in his spending and I give him credit for that but there's always that niggling feeling that he's gonna do something that distracts the players/fans from on field matters.

amacachi wrote: »
    Meh, fair enough, if a massive interest-free loan from an owner to allow a club to clear a load of debt isn't enough for an owner to do then we'll have to agree to differ.

Differ on what? He owns the club, yet saddles the club with more debt... owed to him. By contrast, Abramovich came in to Chelsea and cleared the debt, end of. No loans.

Can you tell the difference, and why it is important? Thus, why it is more than a 'meh'? Because 'meh' just makes me think you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'm willing to explain it further.

Let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

happyman81 wrote: »
    Differ on what? He owns the club, yet saddles the club with more debt... owed to him. By contrast, Abramovich came in to Chelsea and cleared the debt, end of. No loans.

Can you tell the difference, and why it is important? Thus, why it is more than a 'meh'? Because 'meh' just makes me think you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'm willing to explain it further.

Let me know.

I don't think he quite has the same financial clout as Abramovich. If you need me to explain the difference between millions and billions I'd be willing to explain, let me know.

I understand perfectly, the difference is that those loans are saving the club at least as much as the transfer dealings have done in interest payments. It's something a ****ton of owners wouldn't be willing to do. Obviously he's hoping to get his money back, he hasn't got a bottomless pit like the owners of a couple of other clubs have got. As for the "if the club goes bust he'd get his money back" line of reasoning, he'd get a percentage back. If the club could afford to pay everyone back fully they wouldn't have gone bust. His interest free loan has saved the club in interest payments, let them pay down debt and put them on a level where outstanding loans are unlikely to be a problem for quite a while.

• Advertisement

Fulham 1-1 Chelsea

It's in our hands now really for 5th.

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't think he quite has the same financial clout as Abramovich. If you need me to explain the difference between millions and billions I'd be willing to explain, let me know.

I understand perfectly, the difference is that those loans are saving the club at least as much as the transfer dealings have done in interest payments. It's something a ****ton of owners wouldn't be willing to do. Obviously he's hoping to get his money back, he hasn't got a bottomless pit like the owners of a couple of other clubs have got. As for the "if the club goes bust he'd get his money back" line of reasoning, he'd get a percentage back. If the club could afford to pay everyone back fully they wouldn't have gone bust. His interest free loan has saved the club in interest payments, let them pay down debt and put them on a level where outstanding loans are unlikely to be a problem for quite a while.

And yet none of this deals with the question of Ashley 'ploughing money into the club'. The fact is that he hasn't. He lent the club money to ease things a bit. He has made a £30m profit in transfer dealings. This is not the same thing as 'ploughing money in', as the previously mentioned oil barons have done with other clubs. There is the difference.

Case closed.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fulham 1-1 Chelsea

It's in our hands now really for 5th.

Great!

dy7joz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

just saw Ben Arfas goal!....wow!! his first touch in midfield set the whole thing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

go for 4th?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement