Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    go for 4th?

It's still a realistic target but I'd snap your hand off for fifth right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

happyman81 wrote: »
    And yet none of this deals with the question of Ashley 'ploughing money into the club'. The fact is that he hasn't. He lent the club money to ease things a bit. He has made a £30m profit in transfer dealings. This is not the same thing as 'ploughing money in', as the previously mentioned oil barons have done with other clubs. There is the difference.

Case closed.

He has ploughed money in, hoping that he'll get it out at the end. He hasn't made £30 million in transfer dealings, the club has. That £30 million doesn't cover the ~£50 million debt I read the club had when he took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

amacachi wrote: »
    happyman81 wrote: »
    And yet none of this deals with the question of Ashley 'ploughing money into the club'. The fact is that he hasn't. He lent the club money to ease things a bit. He has made a £30m profit in transfer dealings. This is not the same thing as 'ploughing money in', as the previously mentioned oil barons have done with other clubs. There is the difference.

Case closed.

He has ploughed money in, hoping that he'll get it out at the end. He hasn't made £30 million in transfer dealings, the club has. That £30 million doesn't cover the ~£50 million debt I read the club had when he took over.

No. You really don't get what I'm saying. Or you don't want to. Either way, I'm wasting my energy. Believe what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's still a realistic target but I'd snap your hand off for fifth right now.

Feck that, I want 3rd! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So are Newcastle guaranteed European football, what with Liverpool being there through league cup, Chelsea/Spurs might beat ye to 4th/5th?

Mushy wrote: »
    So are Newcastle guaranteed European football, what with Liverpool being there through league cup, Chelsea/Spurs might beat ye to 4th/5th?

Technically need 4 more points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Raoul wrote: »
    Technically need 4 more points.

But say Spurs come 4th, Chelsea come 5th, then Newcastle are 6th but one of the other teams win the FA Cup (which is going to obviously happen), why would they need more points? Or is it cos Everton can mathematically catch them?

Mushy wrote: »
    But say Spurs come 4th, Chelsea come 5th, then Newcastle are 6th but one of the other teams win the FA Cup (which is going to obviously happen), why would they need more points? Or is it cos Everton can mathematically catch them?
    Thats it!

Be interesting to see how that loss today affects Spurs in the run in.

We play Chelsea 3 days before the FA Cup final so who knows what type of team they'll put out for our game. All depends on where we lie in the table prior to that game.

Really fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

We play Chelsea 3 days before the FA Cup final so who knows what type of team they'll put out for our game. All depends on where we lie in the table prior to that game.

Spurs have a really really nice run in. They'll get 4th I fear. QPR next week is an ideal opportunity to bounce back. Blackburn at home the week after.

We have City at home on run in which I fear we'll lose and Wigan away which will be damn tough. Gonna be interesting though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

and 3 after the CL Semi final...

3 away games for us though and one of the home games is against City... My money is not on us. No reason we cant do it though, our route looks to be the toughest though....

Arsenal : Chelsea (H), Stoke (A), Norwich (H), WBA (A)
    Chelsea: Arsenal (A), QPR (H), NUFC (H), Liverpool (A), Blackburn (H), (also have 2 CL + 1 FAC game)
    Spurs: QPR (A), Blackburn (H), Bolton (H), Villa (a), Fulham (A)
    Newcastle: Stoke (H), Wigan (A), Chelsea (A), Man C (H), Everton (A)

Arsenal and Spurs have easy looking run ins....

I think the season will finish as is...

M5 wrote: »
    3 away games for us though and one of the home games is against City... My money is not on us. No reason we cant do it though, our route looks to be the toughest though....

Arsenal : Chelsea (H), Stoke (A), Norwich (H), WBA (A)
    Chelsea: Arsenal (A), QPR (H), NUFC (H), Liverpool (A), Blackburn (H), (also have 2 CL + 1 FAC game)
    Spurs: QPR (A), Blackburn (H), Bolton (H), Villa (a), Fulham (A)
    Newcastle: Stoke (H), Wigan (A), Chelsea (A), Man C (H), Everton (A)

Arsenal and Spurs have easy looking run ins....

I think the season will finish as is...

Not to be pessimistic but there is a real fear that we'll beat Stoke and not win another game after that. Wigan are flying I'd be surprised if we beat them. They are some team on the break I can definitely see them unlocking our defence on several occasions. They have proven to be quite resilient at the back in recent games too.

Chelsea away is a tricky one. What will their mindset be? If they make CL final I see them giving up on 4th as such. A chance of two trophies is too much to turn down. However if Barca beat them as expected they will probably go all out for fourth, cup final or not.

City are a new team in recent games and I think they'll still be in title contention when they play us. I'd be very surprised if we avoided defeat (being realistic). Everton away is difficult at the best of times. I suppose it depends what's to play for but again we would be doing incredibly well to win there. Goodison is a place no-one likes playing in.

So basically I feel we'll get Europa which is some achievement. Might be a year too soon for CL anyway. But I'll still be shouting till the end. No doubt there'll be twists yet. I hate to bring up the December run we had but some of the results we had then were criminal. First thing we need to do is get more strength in depth for next season.

Very strange how all of a sudden Wigan is a tough game for us now. They, like us, work very hard for each other but I definitely think we have superior quality. Won't be a comfortable game by any stretch but I think we can take them.

Stoke first though.

Anyone wary of how they might handle Ben Arfa. He's the type of player that would frustrate opposition players to the extent that they'd lash out in order to stop him.

I'd like to keep the starting line up as it is but was just thinking of HBA given his previous injury having received a pretty rough challenge by De Jong. Some of Stoke's players would be of similar ilk.

Just thinking out loud really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Am I the only one here that honestly thinks we have a chance of grabbing all 12 points from our remaining fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Doocey wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that honestly thinks we have a chance of grabbing all 12 points from our remaining fixtures?

Mr optimism, i'd say 3 wins would be a good return but sure you never know near the end of the season. Hopefully they put in good performances against Chelsea and Man City and really put it up to them.

gav86 wrote: »
    Mr optimism, i'd say 3 wins would be a good return but sure you never know near the end of the season. Hopefully they put in good performances against Chelsea and Man City and really put it up to them.

Thing is though - we honestly have the ability to beat them all.
    Stoke are very beatable - would be a travesty if we lost that everything considered.
    Chelsea have been far from impressive at home.
    City can be taken when up against a solid midfield.
    Wigan are just Wigan - there for the taking or sublime.
    And Everton are a tough outfit, but we have a back four to keep them out, and a forward line to punish them.

It's all about the 3 points against Stoke though for now!

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »

Yes. :pac:

Guthrie and Best back in contention... And Perchinio too. Getting players back at the right time too. :)
    Krul

Simmo --- Colo --- Willo --- Santon

Ben Arfa --- Cabaye --- Tiote --- Jonas

Ba --- Cisse

I'm not sure how fit Tiote is. I know he sat out the Bolton game but if he's fit enough then I'd have no hesitation in sticking him in.

Guthrie and Best back in contention... And Perchinio too. Getting players back at the right time too. :)
    Krul

Simmo --- Colo --- Willo --- Santon

Ben Arfa --- Cabaye --- Tiote --- Jonas

Ba --- Cisse

I'm not sure how fit Tiote is. I know he sat out the Bolton game but if he's fit enough then I'd have no hesitation in sticking him in.

Is there a chance he'd leave out Jonas and go 4-3-3? Or include Jonas in a 4-3-3 although I don't think Jonas is suited to a three man midfield. Would rather see the formation you have there, but I'd worry that Ben Arfa's workrate is too suspect for being a winger in a 4-man midfield. Although Stoke don't offer the greatest attacking prowess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Is there a chance he'd leave out Jonas and go 4-3-3? Or include Jonas in a 4-3-3 although I don't think Jonas is suited to a three man midfield. Would rather see the formation you have there, but I'd worry that Ben Arfa's workrate is too suspect for being a winger in a 4-man midfield. Although Stoke don't offer the greatest attacking prowess :D

Pretty sure Jonas ended up in CM against Swansea when Tiote went off.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Pretty sure Jonas ended up in CM against Swansea when Tiote went off.

He'd do a job in it no question, but he is better utilized on the wing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Jonas i think was only included when Colo was missing as he was the stand in captain. I think Jonas' best position in a 4-3-3 would be on the left, up front. However that means dropping Ba and its hard to leave out Demba. Jonas can do a job at either CM or LB but there are better options really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/21/fabricio-coloccini-pleased-he-stayed-at-nufc-72703-30806324/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

FABRICIO COLOCCINI has revealed he would have regretted it for life had he quit Newcastle United in the aftermath of relegation.

Now, with the Magpies dreaming of the Champions League next season, Coloccini admits he has to pinch himself as he captains a team on the brink of Europe just two years after away days at Plymouth and Scunthorpe.

Coloccini opted to stay on Tyneside when the likes of Obafemi Martins, Habib Beye, Damien Duff and Seb Bassong moved on for bigger things.

The defender – who can lead United

into fourth place today against Stoke City – told the Chronicle: “People left and I suppose I could have too.

“I was thinking ‘I have a black star on my career CV’ because we were going down.

“But I felt responsibility and wanted to turn it around. I wanted to fix the damage and repair things.”

And Coloccini has certainly done that with some aplomb, with United in with a shout of joining Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Real Madrid on Europe’s top table next term.

When asked if he would have regretted leaving, he said: “Yes, but I wanted to stay. I was happy here.

“Now it would be our dream to get in the Champions League.

“But we’ll soon wake up if we don’t focus on the last five games.”

Nevertheless, a win against Stoke would all but confirm a place in the Europa League this weekend if Everton and Liverpool don’t win against Manchester United and West Brom respectively.

Coloccini said: “We’re happy because we are near to confirmation we’ll be in the Europa League.

“It’s all good news at Newcastle. The fans can be happy going into the final five games.”

Coloccini also feels that those who wrote the Magpies off last summer have been proved wrong – although, he did accept that survival was a primary aim last July when he was appointed captain, an aim that was passed in style some time ago.

The Argentina international said: “At the start of the season we started to think about getting 45 points first.

“The first aim was to be in the Premier League next season. But we did well throughout the season. We’ve kept our feet on the floor. That is the reason why we are fighting for a European position.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/21/fabricio-coloccini-pleased-he-stayed-at-nufc-72703-30806324/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1sfJSXlXV

Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Cisse, Ba

Krul overcomes a late fitness test thankfully.

Best returns to the bench too. Some good attacking options if needs be.

Ferguson, Perch, Gosling, R.Taylor, Best, Shola Ameobi. Elliot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Handy enough win for you lot today. 2-0 without ever being really troubled by Stoke IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I'm amazed that Colo never actually got back into the Argentine set-up considering how well he has played the past few seasons.

As for the team, strongest looking bench I've see us have in quite awhile.

TaosHum wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Colo never actually got back into the Argentine set-up considering how well he has played the past few seasons.

As for the team, strongest looking bench I've see us have in quite awhile.

Two varied strikers there if we need to change things up. Nice options to have at a pivotal time of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Surprised Pardew is playing the 4-5-1 against Stoke considering the height of the stoke defenders.

And as I typed the above, he rose above everyone and headed the ball off the crossbar and Cabaye finishes it...............

Sexy pass from Cabaye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Sexy pass from Cabaye.

Pass of the season for me

That run from Cisse too. Delightful. Really linking up well those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Come on Newcastle! Would love to see ye get 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Haven't posted on here in ages,some score at the minute,anyone have a link for the game??

That touch from HBA to stop the ball dead was class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Fairplay lads you deserve it - enjoy the adventure
    Maybe he wont sell your best players this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Firstrowsports has a top notch link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fairplay lads you deserve it - enjoy the adventure
    Maybe he wont sell your best players this time!

Jumping the gun?

• Advertisement

Super first half. Cabaye has been magnificent for us as has Ben Arfa. Really making everything tick.

Lovely from Cabaye again. 3-0 baby

Another few here and a good win for QPR would really improve the goal difference vs spurs.

Super all round performance. Santon for me had his best game in a black and white jersey this season. Looked very calm and composed.

Super result and we really have the wind in our sails now. Ba showed glimpses of his previous form. Could do with a goal to give him that spark again.

Quality stuff all round today - some fantastic passing to watch. Would love to see the passing stats on us today.

Santon brilliant - as were Jonas, Cissé and Ba.

Lovin' it atm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Dont normally comment in other teams threads, but felt the need to today.
    After 10/12 games when you guys started well, i commented somewhere that Newcastle will fall away and will be lucky to finish 10th or 12th.
    Words well and truly eaten, and I'm glad to do so - Pardew has done excellently, and some of the players he's brought in have been nothing short of sensational.

I hope for you guys sake that you do get fourth, because CL football may help persuade some of these players to stay if some other clubs come calling.
    Best of luck for thelast few games! (esp. the City game) :)

Spuds beaten! Great news. What a big game next week. Chelsea will be on the back of a huge CL semi. Spurs are in absolute dire straits! Will do well to beat Blackburn. What a chance we have. Unbelievable!

Chelsea are there for the taking considering the matches this one is sandwiched between...

Spurs are really rocking, they were awful today. They could have knicked a goal but QPR had decent opportunities to extend their lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think the big test of getting that 4th spot starts for you after Wigan next week.

Chelsea, Manchester City and Everton are all very tough games and if you do enough to get that 4th spot after those then you certainly deserve Champions League.

Then again, Spurs are playing that bad you could easily pick up a couple of points and that could be enough.

Either way you have Europa League which is a fantastic season.

• Advertisement

Let's be under no illusions. Stoke were awful. They'll really struggle next year unless they improve drastically.

One game at a time now. Wigan away. Really winnable this. Wigan were poor today and are poor defensively. A win in this would be incredible with three tough games to go after

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement