Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Another centre back to go with Taylor and Collocini is the biggest need I think. Should also be looking to upgrate at right back and left back. Otherwise I think the squad is fairly solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Another centre back to go with Taylor and Collocini is the biggest need I think. Should also be looking to upgrate at right back and left back. Otherwise I think the squad is fairly solid.

Pieters coming in at LB it seems! Agree about CB alright. WIlliamson can be a liability unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Been reading through a few of the posts on here back in August. A lot of people saying that the club were a disgrace letting Joey go and it would ruin our season etc. etc.

What a spanner he is. I along with a few others were proven right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Who would we like at CB lads? Vertonghen out of our reach I imagine.

Someone like Douglas? Shawcross? Marippa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Well done AP, first English manager to win both Manager of the year awards!

Have to hold my had up and say I was completely wrong about him, as were most NUFC fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Who would we like at CB lads? Vertonghen out of our reach I imagine.

Someone like Douglas? Shawcross? Marippa?
    Been linked with Yanga-Mbiwa a few times now. He is captain of Montpellier can play anywhere across the back but plays in the middle for them, he's French aswell. Could he be the suprise signing this summer like cabaye was last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Delighted for AP. What I like about him is his ability to adapt tactics to suit different scenarios, not just ploughing on with one system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I bloody hate off season. The sooner the transfer window closes the better. At least we've got the Euro's to distract from transfers for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cadete wrote: »
    Been linked with Yanga-Mbiwa a few times now. He is captain of Montpellier can play anywhere across the back but plays in the middle for them, he's French aswell. Could he be the suprise signing this summer like cabaye was last year?

Would be an excellent signing in my opinion. Would likely keep Taylor out of the team. Would he give up Champions League football though?

Would be an excellent signing in my opinion. Would likely keep Taylor out of the team. Would he give up Champions League football though?

Cabaye did IIRC

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »

Cabaye did IIRC

Agreed cabaye was cm for Lille when they won the league.

Maybe he could play rb when staylor is fit?

Yeah ya never know, just hope he don't Play for France durin the euros incase his value goes 8 mil+ cause mike doesn't spend big money on any1

Also think mariappa will be kickin himself he didn't try to push through a transfer now in jan. he will never get that chance again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Do you think next year we will be aiming for top four? Or was this a once off and next year we are aiming for a top 6 finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As long as you buy well enough to sustain the EL campaign as well, you can go for the top 4 again.

A starting XI along the lines of Krul, Pieters, Yanga-M'Biwa, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Vuckic, HBA, Cisse and Jonas would be capable of doing it alright. Just make sure there's decent backup for Tiote and Cisse with ACON around the corner again.

Raoul wrote: »
    Do you think next year we will be aiming for top four? Or was this a once off and next year we are aiming for a top 6 finish?

Two stumbling blocks, I think:

1) Defensive cover is required
    2) BOTH Dembas scoring at the same time

Two stumbling blocks, I think:

1) Defensive cover is required
    2) BOTH Dembas scoring at the same time

We would need a larger squad to compete in Europe and domestically, all depends on big Mike

Way to early to ask that question tbf

Transfer Central TNC ‏ @TransferNewsCen

Newcastle United have sign Carlo Del Fava, duration and the money involved still a secret.

All well and good until you realise it is a rugby player. You've got to be incredibly selective with who you get your news from on twitter.

Be interesting to see who breaks in to the first team next season.

Vuckic and Ferguson are all making claims. Really like the look of Ferguson a lot. The lad has got some serious pace about him. Looks a bit lean though so will get muscled out of it easily.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Abeid staking his claim too. Reading various reports on the reserve squad games, himself and Vuckic seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else.

I'd be interested to see how far Gosling can go with the club. He's looked ridiculously out of his depth at times and at other times he looks very comfortable. Could just need an arm around the shoulder. A loan move might be the best thing for him.

With Europa League football and a league campaign to focus on we'll need to strengthen. Injuries are going to be inevitable. We need adequate cover to meet the demands of all competitions.

Defensively we need to strengthen in all areas particularly at left back if Santon is moved out to right back should Simpson leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Raoul wrote: »

Probably going to be a lot tougher next season. I'd imagine Chelsea will improve vastly and will get top 4 easily. For Arsenal it really depends on whether RVP leaves I think. Who knows with Liverpool..

It'll be interesting to see who we get though. Hard to call it now, but top 6 is (unfortunately) probably the best we can hope for.

I desperately want Vuckic to suceed, probably due to him becoming the best player in the world and my captain fantastic on an FM save did managing Newcastle.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Be interesting to see who breaks in to the first team next season.

Vuckic and Ferguson are all making claims. Really like the look of Ferguson a lot. The lad has got some serious pace about him. Looks a bit lean though so will get muscled out of it easily.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Abeid staking his claim too. Reading various reports on the reserve squad games, himself and Vuckic seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else.

I'd be interested to see how far Gosling can go with the club. He's looked ridiculously out of his depth at times and at other times he looks very comfortable. Could just need an arm around the shoulder. A loan move might be the best thing for him.

With Europa League football and a league campaign to focus on we'll need to strengthen. Injuries are going to be inevitable. We need adequate cover to meet the demands of all competitions.

Defensively we need to strengthen in all areas particularly at left back if Santon is moved out to right back should Simpson leave.

Beardsley regards Ferguson as the best young talent he has seen. Vuckic is a class act, he will break into the team pretty soon. He has a lot of competition with Cabaye though

Think there's a case for Vuckic to play upfront. Big beefy lad(6'3 I believe) and he's got a shot on him.

Ferguson looks a real talent, hope to see more of him next season.

G.K. wrote: »
    I desperately want Vuckic to suceed, probably due to him becoming the best player in the world and my captain fantastic on an FM save did managing Newcastle.

Really? Im on my second season with NUFC, I better start him more!

This was FM2009 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I think you lads have covered most things in terms of our season,we've had a great campaign,don't think anything else more csn be said.In terms of next year,it well be tough to stay in the top 5,expectation levels are going to be a lot higher too so it'll be interesting to see how the players and Pardew react to that.Also,Chelsea and the rest of the top 4 will be stronger so thats another problem we'll face.

In terms of transfers,I think we need 3 top players who can come into the squad and do a job immediately,ie,a centre back,a right back and a winger.One player,I'd like to see in would be Junior Hoilett,seems like the perfect player for us,he's on a free,we need a right winger with Obertan's disappointing form,good attitude etc.We seem to be linked with a defender every day so god knows who we'll end up. Williamson has done well but don't think I'd like to see him on a team sheet every week.Himself and Perchinho will be vital for the Europa League and the cup competitions though. I think Guthrie and Simpson are on their way out,shame about Guthrie,think he'd be very useful for us next yr and he's never let the team down when he replaced Tiote.Wouldn't be too sad to see Simmo go,there's better defenders out there.We'll definitely lose a good player,my money is on either Ba or Tiote.

Exciting times await though,hopefully we become stronger defensively next year.Too many games this year,where we were completely steam rolled,eg Fulham,Spurs,Wigan.

Guthrie confirmed he is leaving on his twitter, bit of a pity he is a quality squad player and we are definately short in the middle of the field

• Advertisement

37,000 posts dedicated to the black and white.... Now if anybody wants to buy me a life that'd be swell.

That_Guy wrote: »
    37,000 posts dedicated to the black and white.... Now if anybody wants to buy me a life that'd be swell.

Watch out Mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone have a list of any pre season fixtures arranged as yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

0,,10278~10877115,00.gif

Welcome to NUFC Romain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »

nothing story TBF Paully... No quotes and the mirror is the only paper running this story

Wrong again Paully.

Newcastle won't offer him a new deal to remove the clause and offer him more money. Rightly so. We took a risk on him so he's here on our terms and we should have control over him.

Football being football, agents being agents - Ba will probably leave, to be replaced by Luuk de Jong for the £7m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Doocey wrote: »
    Wrong again Paully.

Newcastle won't offer him a new deal to remove the clause and offer him more money. Rightly so. We took a risk on him so he's here on our terms and we should have control over him.

Football being football, agents being agents - Ba will probably leave, to be replaced by Luuk de Jong for the £7m.

Well complain to the Mirror then, not to me.

I'd be surprised if he didn't leave to be honest. He was very sulky when taken off etc during games and IIRC he only scored once or twice since Cisse joined? Cisse has the position and recognition that he wants and I'd imagine he'll want to go somewhere where he can be the main man again.

No doubt you'll sell him and his knee will explode within a week, such is your fortune!

Our new signing looks a bit like Enrique.

Well complain to the Mirror then, not to me.

I'd be surprised if he didn't leave to be honest. He was very sulky when taken off etc during games and IIRC he only scored once or twice since Cisse joined? Cisse has the position and recognition that he wants and I'd imagine he'll want to go somewhere where he can be the main man again.

No doubt you'll sell him and his knee will explode within a week, such is your fortune!

Well being honest, I expect him to leave as well.
    Apparently, according to Alan Pardew at least, it's not about the money with Demba, I get the feeling he just wants to be the main man, which he probably could become again if he stays.

£7m is too cheap really, but he is still a liability and a lot of clubs know that.

I'd be disappointed if Ba leaves, but its not a disaster by any means, whereas losing someone like Krul/Tiote/Cabaye/Cisse would be a disaster imo.

He's probably the easiest to replace out of our 'top' players, he's not getting any younger, he'll be off to ACN again next Jan, question marks still linger over his fitness and knee.

Selling him for the 7m and bringing in someone like De Jong, Rhodes, Gameiro or someone like that wouldn't be a terrible outcome imo.

That would make buying a LF a priority wouldn't it? Marveaux, Jonas and that new guy Romain something don't strike me as wide forwards, rather as wingers. Only HBA and Obertan (Who I'm unsure of).

G.K. wrote: »
    That would make buying a LF a priority wouldn't it? Marveaux, Jonas and that new guy Romain something don't strike me as wide forwards, rather as wingers. Only HBA and Obertan (Who I'm unsure of).

Shola has returned to pre-season early to train in that position :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Would hate to see Ba leave as he's been excellent for us.
    In fairness to him since Cisse's arrive he's been pushed out left and never complained.
    Honestly think Newcastle should give him a new contract to remove the clause and keep him happy as I'd hate to lose him for 7-10 million.
    If we lost Cisse to injury who else would we have to step in as our main goalscorer? I'd be a lot happier if it was Ba.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    If we lost Cisse to injury who else would we have to step in as our main goalscorer?

PA-12961132.jpg

thanks man..now I'm all depressed :(

I thought Shola had an excellent season. When we've been under pressure in games he's been brought on to hold up the play. Does it so so well. He's built like a fookin' tank too.

He's definitely been in the gym and on the creatine alright. He's absolutely massive now. Looked like Sammy when he first showed up. :D

I think he was great this season, lots of games he played really well. Good to have on the bench.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's definitely been in the gym and on the creatine alright. He's absolutely massive now. Looked like Sammy when he first showed up. :D

I think he was great this season, lots of games he played really well. Good to have on the bench.

True..but who would you prefer on the bench? Ba or Shola?
    Or more to the point...I'd prefer Ba + Cisse up front with Shola on the bench rather than Shola+ Cisse and Best on the bench or some other striker.

If I could have a team of Shola's I would. I love Shola so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Some young North Korean being linked with ye. Another one of the hidden stars maybe? Jong Il-Gwan is his name, has scored some savage goals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Samich wrote: »
    Some young North Korean being linked with ye. Another one of the hidden stars maybe? Jong Il-Gwan is his name, has scored some savage goals..

Won AFC Youth POTY in 2010 so theres potential there. Are there any other North Koreans playing in major European leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Won AFC Youth POTY in 2010 so theres potential there. Are there any other North Koreans playing in major European leagues?
    I remember when Man Utd played Basel, this lad was playing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pak_Kwang-Ryong
    Apparently they are allowed to play abroad under strict government supervision. Certainly a great place to scout - a lot of unearthed talent surely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Who was their main guy from the world cup that time, didnt he play in europe for a bit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement