Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

That_Guy wrote: »
    Balls. With Shola injured too he'll probably start... 4-5-1 perhaps? Wouldn't mind seeing Anita in there but not sure if he'll be left at home.

Here's the squad that's out there:

Romain Amalfitano, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Yohan Cabaye, Adam Campbell, Papiss Cisse, Dan Gosling, Jonas Gutierrez, Steve Harper, Tim Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Davide Santon, Danny Simpson, James Tavernier, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson

I think we might see Anita start to be honest. Hard to know will Cisse play, probably won't start. Known Pards he might even put Obertan up front.

The Toon's European fate in hands of the prolific Obertan :pac:

Team news:

Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Steve Harper; James Tavernier, Mike Williamson (c), James Perch, Ryan Taylor; Gael Bigirimana, Vurnon Anita; Gabriel Obertan, Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux; Papiss Cisse

Substitutes: Tim Krul, Davide Santon, Steven Taylor, Yohan Cabaye, Jonas Gutierrez, Romain Amalfitano, Adam Campbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Aquila wrote: »
    who is showing the match lads?

Setanta ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ryan Taylor.... over the wall.. Standard. Super free kick.

Away goal, good lad Raylor.

Tavernier getting ripped a new one. Looks good going forward but defensively all over the place. Wouldn't mind seeing Anita go to RB, push Tavernier to the right wing, bring Gosling back alongside Biggie Smalls and have Obertan just in behind Cisse.

Gosling has been very quiet and is getting lost in the hole just behind Cisse. Better suited in CM myself.

Hate saying it, but I'm starting to lose the little hope I had left for Obertan.

Hoping to see Campbell get a run out.

For all the good signings we've made, Obertan has been the least impressive. Runs into blind alleys again and again. Very frustrating. Needs to step it up or he'll be out on his arse fairly sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

That_Guy wrote: »
    For all the good signings we've made, Obertan has been the least impressive. Runs into blind alleys again and again. Very frustrating. Needs to step it up or he'll be out on his arse fairly sharp.

Did well there, good speed, got the head up.. Cisse should of left it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hate saying it, but I'm starting to lose the little hope I had left for Obertan.

Hoping to see Campbell get a run out.

Never heard of Campbell, the commentator was saying he has a big reputation, whats his goal scoring record like?

Brian Little is an utter shíte commentator. "Newcastle are cruising this"

Is he watching the same game as me?

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Never heard of Campbell, the commentator was saying he has a big reputation, whats his goal scoring record like?

He's only 17, playing in the reserves and doing very well. Scored a hat-trick against Spurs reserves last week. The club has huge hopes for him though.

Happy with that result. They're not up to a lot to be fair, we should be comfortable at SJP next week.

Happy with that result. They're not up to a lot to be fair, we should be comfortable at SJP next week.

Their keeper can't handle crosses at all. Flapped at everything. My worry is Tavernier. He's excellent going forward but is very suspect at the defensive side of the game.

Amilfantano looked decent when he came on. Looks a lot more comfortable out on the left. Saw him pre season playing on the right but he was very wasteful at times.

Good to get Cisse playing. He didn't have the best game but it's important he gets his fitness up as he didn't feature much in pre season and with Ramadan his energy levels would've depleted further.

Good to get out unscathed and we can look forward to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Papers saying that Raylor 'spared our blushes', I don't think that was a bad result considering it was our 2nd string side and it was the away leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Seem to be a good few writing off our chances for tomorrow,I think if we can stay very tight at the back and nick a goal on the break then we'll be in good shape. Interesting to see how we'll perform against strong teams away from home. Last year at chelsea, defensively we were very solid and 2 moments of genius from Cisse were the difference. I reckon we'll be looking for something of the same tomorrow.

Papers saying that Raylor 'spared our blushes', I don't think that was a bad result considering it was our 2nd string side and it was the away leg.

It wasn't a pretty result but for most of the players it was their first competitive game and one which came at a time when most would be lacking fitness. Didn't make it easy for ourselves but they're still trying to find that click. Weather didn't help either. Supposedly in the very late 20's yesterday evening when that game kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Tiote out for tomorrows game, big blow considering Anita played the full 90 against Atromitos.

Worried we could get over-ran tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Disappointing result. Was more concerned with the performance myself. Looked better in the second half but the first was utter dross. 4-4-2 doesn't work for us.

I don't know why we've ditched the 4-3-3

I know we're trying to accommodate Ba but it's all too predictable. Have got to be beating Villa on Sunday.

Read this statement again today. It really puts into perspective what a remarkable job this guy has done over the last four years.

There's no doubting the disaster he was when he first came to the club but he's not really getting the credit he deserves for the team we have on the pitch right now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7615655.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Anyone else going to the first European match at SJP in five and a half years?

Just looked and saw Kieron Dyer scored in the last one, that's how long ago it was.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Read this statement again today. It really puts into perspective what a remarkable job this guy has done over the last four years.

There's no doubting the disaster he was when he first came to the club but he's not really getting the credit he deserves for the team we have on the pitch right now.

Agreed...I could see myself what he was doing with the club and agreed with it..but his handling of some of the stuff was disastrous especially over Kevin Keegan. I was hoping we'd be rid of him when he released that statement but looking back now he was absolutely right in how he was looking after the club and his future plans etc and I'm glad he proved the majority of supporters wrong and I hope they acknowledge that as well.

Blazer wrote: »
    Agreed...I could see myself what he was doing with the club and agreed with it..but his handling of some of the stuff was disastrous especially over Kevin Keegan. I was hoping we'd be rid of him when he released that statement but looking back now he was absolutely right in how he was looking after the club and his future plans etc and I'm glad he proved the majority of supporters wrong and I hope they acknowledge that as well.

Totally agree too. That was a good read. He has totally proved himself right and the fans should really be singing his praises and apologising.

Raoul wrote: »

Totally agree too. That was a good read. He has totally proved himself right and the fans should really be singing his praises and apologising.

Arsenal are indeed a good model, unfortunately they are just a feeder club for Manchester though. I hope financial fair play rules sort that imbalance out.

• Advertisement

Arsenal are indeed a good model, unfortunately they are just a feeder club for Manchester though. I hope financial fair play rules sort that imbalance out.

Something needs to be done, the next financial crisis will be Football and we will be grateful to have Ashley in charge when that hits. It's inevitable the way the game is now. The bubble gets bigger and bigger each season with transfers fees in the EPL out of control now.

Relating to Ashley; If you take the grief during the bad times (and he sure did) you deserve the praise during the good times, just seems people are still reluctant to give Ashley any praise at all. It's always Graham Carr or Alan Pardew..

I suppose there's still a major trust issue there with a lot of fans which is completely justifiable with some of his not so smart actions.

Relating to Ashley; If you take the grief during the bad times (and he sure did) you deserve the praise during the good times, just seems people are still reluctant to give Ashley any praise at all. It's always Graham Carr or Alan Pardew..

I suppose there's still a major trust issue there with a lot of fans which is completely justifiable with some of his not so smart actions.

To be fair, he really acted the bollox in his first couple of seasons at Newcastle with hiring Wise, the treatment of Keegan and the mess the club found itself in after that. It took the club getting relegated before things started to improve.

At the time, incidents such as sacking Houghton, hiring Pardew, selling Carroll without having a replacement ready, selling the likes of Nolan/Barton all looked like poor decisions, but have all worked out. He deserves alot of praise for having the foresight to make those decisions when everyone else was scratching there heads. But then he goes and pisses the fans off by renaming the stadium!

Newcastle and Ashley have been through alot and its hard to successfully rebuild your reputation after such a messy start. Ashley, to be fair, has done an awful lot right in the past 3 seasons, but I think it will take Newcastle winning a major honour before the entire fanbase will trust him.

I totally forgot the stadium was renamed.

TaosHum wrote: »
    To be fair, he really acted the bollox in his first couple of seasons at Newcastle with hiring Wise, the treatment of Keegan and the mess the club found itself in after that. It took the club getting relegated before things started to improve.

At the time, incidents such as sacking Houghton, hiring Pardew, selling Carroll without having a replacement ready, selling the likes of Nolan/Barton all looked like poor decisions, but have all worked out. He deserves alot of praise for having the foresight to make those decisions when everyone else was scratching there heads. But then he goes and pisses the fans off by renaming the stadium!

Newcastle and Ashley have been through alot and its hard to successfully rebuild your reputation after such a messy start. Ashley, to be fair, has done an awful lot right in the past 3 seasons, but I think it will take Newcastle winning a major honour before the entire fanbase will trust him.

I know, I agree with all of that, he was a disaster. I find it even more impressive how he's managed to turn it around so fast. Still don't like the guy but I think he has earned the right to receive more credit for our recent success at this stage and that statement emphasises that he had a vision for the club and didn't just get lucky with decisions like shipping out Nolan and replacing him with the likes of Cabaye (the consensus was this was an insane move).

I remember a certain Joey Barton twitter rant about Newcastle bringing in these 'cheap foreigners' and how it wouldn't succeed and you had the majority of Newcastle fans siding with Barton. How glad we are to be rid of that fool now.

The stadium renaming pissed me off big time alright, but that's the way Football is going unfortunately. I doubt it will be long before you see bigger clubs than Newcastle doing this. And I hate seeing all that tacky Sport Direct advertisement when I go to SJP as well.

But aside from that he has hardly made a wrong 'Football' decision since the day we went down which is crazy.

Guaranteed now when he has just won my trust back we will see a big name leave tomorrow and I'll be on here taking the praise back :pac:

Anyway, nearly forget there was a match tonight with all this Ashley talk:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

"The plan is showing dividends with the signing of exceptional young talent such as Sebastien Bassong, Danny Guthrie and Xisco."

:pac:

Besides that, he's been thoroughly correct with everything he has done at NUFC.

Some foolish decisions early on in his days which although acceptable in a business model like SportsDirect; doesn't work with football clubs.

He has definitely learned, and I hope he is here for the long-term. (Imagine saying that when Keegan was outed! :O)

The plan is working, and tonight, for the first time in five years; European football returns to St.James' Park - the best proof you could hand anyone who doubts the model.

Onwards and upwards.

As for tonight, we better win 6-0 or Pardew & the board have to go....

• Advertisement

Is the game on telly anywhere?

Raoul wrote: »
    Is the game on telly anywhere?

ITV 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Vuckic's movement has been very good since coming on. Impressed.

Well that was unconvincing but we're through and that's all that matters.

We also got Man United away in the league cup so that's one trophy we can forget about.

Lucky to get through. Although Newcastle bossed the game for most parts, some serious lapses at the back should have outdone us. Was pleased though with the retention of possession in the middle, which was filled with young lads.

Still though, in the hat for tomorrows and hopefully the injuries to Perch and especially Raylor aren't too severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

could have been better..could have been worse..I fancy us to top it or qualify at the very least out of it.

Group D
    Bordeaux(FRA)
    Club Brugge(BEL)
    Newcastle(ENG)
    Marítimo(POR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

could have been better..could have been worse..I fancy us to top it or qualify at the very least out of it.

Group D
    Bordeaux(FRA)
    Club Brugge(BEL)
    Newcastle(ENG)
    Marítimo(POR)

Some great trips for the fans there and you'll go through if Pardew takes it seriously every week. Nice draw. Can't deny I'm pretty jealous :p

Maritimo away would be a nice one alright.
    Thought Obertan didok last night, much asit pains me to say it. Both him and marveaux have to beat the first man with Crosses though. Thirty thousand there last night, but by 10.30 the town was dead, an extra three Sunday matches wont do the town any favours either, you have to wonder is the Europa league worth it.

Where To wrote: »
    Thought Obertan didok last night, much asit pains me to say it. Both him and marveaux have to beat the first man with Crosses though. Thirty thousand there last night, but by 10.30 the town was dead, an extra three Sunday matches wont do the town any favours either, you have to wonder is the Europa league worth it.

To blood new talent, yes. Also, winning it does put your name on the map.

• Advertisement

Pards:
    "I had a discussion and really the targets we are after are probably impossible today, and I think that makes sense.

"Sleeping on it, we have got good cover for Ryan with James Tavernier in particular and James Perch, who can play those roles, so we will probably go with what we have got now and in January, maybe look at it."

Ryan Taylor injury last night showed how light our squad is. Taylor and Coloccini need to stay fit. If we have to field a a defence with Simpson, Perch and Tavernier during the season I won't be expecting too many points. :pac:

And with Shola so injury prone we also have to pray Ivory Coast beat Senegal in the ACON. No replacements for Besty or Lovenkrands.

I'm definitely concerned about injuries but happy overall we have kept our best players.

I think that is a pretty good draw!!

To blood new talent, yes. Also, winning it does put your name on the map.
    We won the fairs cup in 1969, we're alraedy on that map. If we win it,again we'll emulate the mighty IFK Goteburg as a two time winner. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch these European matches, I'm going to a northeastern counties match tomorrow, but I'm not convincedit benefits the club, and the city that supports the club, long term.

We won the fairs cup in 1969, we're alraedy on that map. If we win it,again we'll emulate the mighty IFK Goteburg as a two time winner. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch these European matches, I'm going to a northeastern counties match tomorrow, but I'm not convincedit benefits the club, and the city that supports the club, long term.

I was actually hoping we would get an Inter Milan or someone for a glamour game, in reality, we have not a hope in hell of getting near the final of this competition.

We couldn't score against a very very poor team last night, apart from a deflected shot and were very lucky not to concede. And this is the team which Pards intends to play throughout this competition.

They need to fix the Europa League, condense it and stop putting the champions league 3rd place losers into it. Until then, I couldn't really give a toss about it because our squad simply isn't big enough to deal with it.

Poor performance yet again and saved by more Ben Arfa genius. Forgot Cabaye was even playing at one point.

Just realised Ben Arfa scored that with his right foot an all.

I've been saying to everyone who will listen, this is HBA's year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

in2h6bhuuc2uj.gif

How many players can score a goal like that with their right foot and a goal like the one against Everton with his left? Special player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement