Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ferguson is lightning quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ferguson is lightning quick.

Left obertan sitting there alright. Other than the goal same ol same ol from Obertan. Must have run the ball out of play 5/6 times. Still have seen nothing to make me believe he's good enough to be a squad player never mind a starter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

M5 wrote: »
    Left obertan sitting there alright. Other than the goal same ol same ol from Obertan. Must have run the ball out of play 5/6 times. Still have seen nothing to make me believe he's good enough to be a squad player never mind a starter

I'm one of his biggest critics but he's played well tonight imo.

Both sides long since accepted this result

I'm one of his biggest critics but he's played well tonight imo.

Other than the great work for the goal he has run lots, and gotten joy from the RB but no end product at all. No point beating your man if you just pass or run the ball out of play

• Advertisement

4 mins??

That_Guy wrote: »
    4 mins??

streaker after the 3rd goal

Strange to see a team who had played well literally give up trying with half an hour still to play.

This sets us up nicely for Sunday though.

Strange to see a team who had played well literally give up trying with half an hour still to play.

This sets us up nicely for Sunday though.

bordeaux have a poor record in England

first game lost 1:0
    second lost 2:0
    third lost 3:0
    fourth lost 4:0

We actually were dominant enough to complete the pattern but with one eye on sunday the foot was definitely off the gas after the third. Thankfully Bordeaux cooperated :)

bordeaux have a poor record in England

first game lost 1:0
    second lost 2:0
    third lost 3:0
    fourth lost 4:0

We actually were dominant enough to complete the pattern but with one eye on sunday the foot was definitely off the gas after the third. Thankfully Bordeaux cooperated :)

Ha, that's a pretty dreadful record, we could of made it 5:0 if we were bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Delighted with the result tonight. Two homes wins against Brugge and Maritimo will now see us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Unbelievably it looks like Mike Ashley has managed to end up with a worse stadium name than The Sports Direct Arena:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9591995/Wonga-poised-for-Newcastle-sponsorship-deal.html

The Wonga Stadium? The Wonga Arena? :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    Unbelievably it looks like Mike Ashley has managed to end up with a worse stadium name than The Sports Direct Arena:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9591995/Wonga-poised-for-Newcastle-sponsorship-deal.html

The Wonga Stadium? The Wonga Arena? :pac:

A lot of people were annoyed more by the SD branding than anything else. I was being construed as sponsorship, not as a vehicle for Ashley to advertise.

The wonga arena will cause some laughs this side of the water I'd say

A lot of people were annoyed more by the SD branding than anything else. I was being construed as sponsorship, not as a vehicle for Ashley to advertise.

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't really care what it was called if it was bringing in decent money (although the reported £8m a year there for shirt and stadium sponsorship seems very small). The Wonga Arena does sound funny though!

All set for the derby in two weeks time mate? If Tiote and Cabaye are fit they will have a field day against us to be honest. We're so weak in the centre without Cattermole.

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't really carseason . It was called if it was bringing in decent money (although the reported £8m a year there for shirt and stadium sponsorship seems very small). The Wonga Arena does sound funny though!

All set for the derby in two weeks time mate? If Tiote and Cabaye are fit they will have a field day against us to be honest. We're so weak in the centre without Cattermole.

Not really looking forward to it, we have been poor so far this season. I'm sure performances will be raised for that game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pretty shameful to be involved with such a company

Not really looking forward to it, we have been poor so far this season. I'm sure performances will be raised for that game though

Yeah in fairness one thing you can always say is that Newcastle virtually always turn up on derby day!

greendom wrote: »
    Pretty shameful to be involved with such a company

More shameful than an alcohol or betting company, or a financial institution that almost brought down a country? :rolleyes:

Yeah in fairness one thing you can always say is that Newcastle virtually always turn up on derby day!

Been quite a while since we haven't alright, actually last 2 seasons the derby has ended up giving us great momentum for the remainder of the season! Off chance i'll get to the home fixture this year :)

More shameful than an alcohol or betting company, or a financial institution that almost brought down a country? :rolleyes:

4000% annual interest rates - nothing more than loan sharks with good pr!

Fair point about the others though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ah, the annual playing down of Sunderland's chances in a TyneWear by Paully_D..

It'll be a very even game, we've been less than solid so far and SAFC are playing some decent stuff from what I've seen of them.
    Fletcher against Williamson would be a tad scary as would Johnson against Simpson but I'll leave those concerns to the day.

Can't wait to see Ba & Cissé in an away day - they won't know what's hit them.

As for the Wonga deal - it is pretty funny to be honest.

"Cisse sealed all three points in front of a packed out Wonga Arena"

Or would it be the Wonga Dome/Wonga Park/ Wonga @ St.James :pac:

... Chances of landing a ticket for the away end at SoL? Would pay big beanage for one.

Been quite a while since we haven't alright, actually last 2 seasons the derby has ended up giving us great momentum for the remainder of the season! Off chance i'll get to the home fixture this year :)

I was just saying today that if we could get a win in this one we could possibly get the momentum for the season that Newcastle have had after the last few derbies! Our 2-1 win in 2008 was amazing, haven't been that sick from beer since :pac: I would love another day/night like that, it's been long overdue!
    Doocey wrote: »
    Ah, the annual playing down of Sunderland's chances in a TyneWear by Paully_D..

It'll be a very even game, we've been less than solid so far and SAFC are playing some decent stuff from what I've seen of them.
    Fletcher against Williamson would be a tad scary as would Johnson against Simpson but I'll leave those concerns to the day.

Can't wait to see Ba & Cissé in an away day - they won't know what's hit them.

... Chances of landing a ticket for the away end at SoL? Would pay big beanage for one.

It's not so much playing down our chances as being realistic mate. I haven't been wrong with my derby predictions over the last few years unfortunately (although I'm not 100% sure on that as I may have said we'd be beaten in the 1-1 last year).

I don't know who you've been watching this season if you think we've been playing well :pac: We've been woeful in the vast majority of games to be honest. 1 win from 6 despite taking the lead in 3 of them. McClean has been atrocious, Johnson isn't fit, and if Fletcher gets injured for any significant length of time we'll be lucky to score a goal in his absence.

Agree it will be tight, but I'd definitely give the advantage to your lot as our centre midfield is so weak with Cattermole out.

I think someone was saying that you lot needed 75 loyalty points to get an away ticket for the derby, so unless you knew someone who has that many but wasn't intending on going it would be very unlikely. I can't see too many, if any, willing to sell their ticket even for big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stadium renamed back to St James Park :confused:

So many better options :(

Wongadome
    Wonga Park
    Stadio Del Wonga
    Parc De Wonga

Superb PR move by wonga

Will the tacky Sports Direct advertisement around SJP remain?

I'm a bit confused as to why Wonga would pay Ashley to rename our ground to its original name? Happy out anyway.

Will the tacky Sports Direct advertisement around SJP remain?

I'm a bit confused as to why Wonga would pay Ashley to rename our ground to its original name? Happy out anyway.

Its a simple PR move designed to appease any fans who are unhappy for the club to be linked with such an unrepeatable company

Its a simple PR move designed to appease any fans who are unhappy for the club to be linked with such an unrepeatable company

Great, the only thing that worried me about the deal was a silly stadium name, couldn't care less about what the company do.

That's great business by Ashley in fairness. Getting someone to pay him for the right to call St James Park - St James Park. :D

Great, the only thing that worried me about the deal was a silly stadium name, couldn't care less about what the company do.

That's great business by Ashley in fairness. Getting someone to pay him for the right to call St James Park - St James Park. :D

I'd be willing to bet that there was no interest in the naming rights from anywhere. That gave Ashley a great sweetener to throw in with any sponsorship deal. The new sponsors would bring back SJP! Great for the sponsors, no climb down from the board, fans get what they want, Everyones happy*!

*except the people paying 4000% APR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Kinda glad now i didnt buy a "virgin" jersey!!

Not that it was ever really gone as we were all still calling it SJP but .... SJP is back!!!!

• Advertisement

If they're Newcastle fans they will at least know that it's going to a good cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

As opossed to teams sponsored by banks that have dragged us all into the current financial mess

Or those sponsered by online betting companies

Or those sponsored by insurance companies making people jump through hoops when trying to claim

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    As opossed to teams sponsored by banks that have dragged us all into the current financial mess

Or those sponsered by online betting companies

Or those sponsored by insurance companies making people jump through hoops when trying to claim

as i said...

does not make it any more palatable TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just consider it a tax on the financially inept and stop worrying:D

Newcastle United tops with the new logo are available now for £39.99 - or for 36 monthly payments of £258.44.

Just noticed the autocorrect in this post, evidently unreputable is not in the dictionary????

• Advertisement

Looks like we wont have to worry about loosing the Dembas for a while, bedlam at the Senegal Ivory Coast game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Looks like we wont have to worry about loosing the Dembas for a while, bedlam at the Senegal Ivory Coast game!

What happened ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leiva wrote: »
    What happened ?

Game was abandoned when the Senegal fans rioted as they were about to go out of qualifying. Ivory coast were 4-2 up from the first leg, and scored 2 more, so at 6-2 the tie was all but over.

Wonder what they'll do. Will they play the last 15 minutes in the future? I cant imagine them having a full rematch of the second leg, as that gives the rioters what they wanted.

Regardsless what happens, I can't see anything other than the Ivory Coast going through anyway, so no ANC for the Demba's.

Leiva wrote: »
    What happened ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I think this guy brings some appraisal to the situation regarding Wonga :pac:

Newcastle United & Wonga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Newcastle were sponsored by Newkie brown for nearly twenty years, that sh1te gives me the runs something awful but I never stopped going to matches over the head of it.

greendom wrote: »

I have mixed feelings, not surprised in the least...

Well I'm not surprised either, after the constant barrage of media negativity with this. It's actually ridiculous, the media were reporting that Newcastle fans were unhappy with the deal only hours after the news broke. No idea how they had come to that consensus so fast.

"Online survey finds many Magpies fans are 'disappointed'" Give me a break, after been told for weeks that you have no heart if you want anything to do with this company, it's easy to click "disappointed" in an online poll, but how many genuinely care about this? I certainly don't.

This article just about sums up my feelings on it:

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/newcastle-wonga-com-an-idiots-guide-to-morality-in-football/

MA cleared to take a 10% stake in Rangers. Expected to happen in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hows everyone feeling for Sundays game?not too optimistic myself to be honest. I think if we can get a result here,we could really build some momentum like the last game in march. Hoping Ameobi gets a chance tomorrow and Cisse is left on the bench,probably give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Hows everyone feeling for Sundays game?not too optimistic myself to be honest. I think if we can get a result here,we could really build some momentum like the last game in march. Hoping Ameobi gets a chance tomorrow and Cisse is left on the bench,probably give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Colo, Taylor and Krul may all start. I think it will be a low scoring draw. I can't see us winning there, with the way we are playing, and a lot of players coming back from internationals / injuries will probably mean another slow out of the blocks performance.

Quality stuff from Sammy to set up the goal.

Obertan looking very decent.

That'll do pig... That'll do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement