Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

what is wrong with this team this season?

Jaysus. Shocking. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

and the hits just keep on coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

To be fair stoke very fortunate to win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We simply cannot defend. I have no confidence in this side to keep clean sheets no matter the opposition. We always give easy chances to the opposition and we inevitably get punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

gutted!cant put our foot on the ball just hoofing it all the time, really disappointed with that result, i think that was a penalty but we have not got any decisions all year, were in big trouble

0 points from 4 games in fixtures we would have looked forward to is extremely worrying.

The way we reacted to conceding the equalizer was indicative of where the players heads are right now. Quite simply Pardew is not doing his job.

Something needs to change now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

4 defeats in a row to Swansea, West Ham, Southampton and Stoke is relegation form. Unbelievable really.

I was looking at this period as a nice run of fixtures before a difficult December.

We're in real trouble now with the injuries we have. Not what I was expecting this season.

Terrible performance again against a poor Stoke side tonight who we could have had. We just don't have the players to hold the ball and pass it about at the moment. This leads to our defence being put under pressure that was not there last year and we concede alot more poor goals. Also leads to us not getting forward without anyone for an eye for a pass so we long ball hoof it up in hope. Relegation form at the moment but hopefully in the new year with a few players back and a few new heads we will improve and finish mid table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

The positive is that Soton are so dreadful away from home they're bound to be relegated and Reading and QPR are both woeful. I can't believe I'm mentioning us as relegation contenders but it has to be done...

another monumental lurch from the club as we failed spectacularly in the transfer window and are now paying the price. When we had injuries last season, players like Perch and Guthrie preformed well above their level. This season we are seeing just how limited our backup players are. We may have kidded ourselves but deep down we all new that Perch, Obertan, Williamson etc are not good enough. We need 3 quality players in Jan and the same in the summer if we are to compete for anything next year

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The positive is that Soton are so dreadful away from home they're bound to be relegated and Reading and QPR are both woeful. I can't believe I'm mentioning us as relegation contenders but it has to be done...

And the worrying thing is we were outplayed by both Southampton and Reading.

And the worrying thing is we were outplayed by both Southampton and Reading.

And West Brom to be fair, we didnt deserve 3 points against them. The only games we won deservedly were possibly Spurs and Norwich.

Quotes from Pardew
    "The improvement from Sunday was immense and we deserved something I thought we were the better side I thought we could have a penalty at 1-0 but two sucker punches have cost us.

"It's galling because we're on this run and we're having setback after setback and I feel sorry for the players.

"That team won't go far short if we play like that."

To be honest I wouldnt be feeling sorry for the players as they are the ones who are not doing it on the pitch. Pardew has been very good tactically when we have the players but the blame at the moment must go to the man with the chequebook or the players who can't hold on to a one nil lead.

bazual wrote: »
    Quotes from Pardew

To be honest I wouldnt be feeling sorry for the players as they are the ones who are not doing it on the pitch. Pardew has been very good tactically when we have the players but the blame at the moment must go to the man with the chequebook or the players who can't hold on to a one nil lead.

Everyone needs to share the blame, including Pardew.

Last season we tended to win games by moments of individual brilliance rather than controlling games. His tactics leave a lot to be desired with me. He did have some good moments (Stoke and West Brom away in particular).

How many good 'team' goals did we score? Set pieces? There are a lot of questions need answering tbh.

Defensive wise we were much more solid last season, so the players need to take the blame there (Williamson just isn't good enough though).

But this season, regardless of injuries, the insistence on playing 4-4-2 and hitting the ball long to Ba and Cisse is down to him. We were doing this with Cabaye and Ben Arfa in the team and the stats are there to prove we are the most direct team in the league.

Now, you don't have to be any expert to realise we shouldn't be playing more long balls then Stoke, Norwich etc.

For a team who doesn't score any headers or hasn't scored a set piece in god knows how long, that is a massive indictment of his tactics.

Cisse's poor form hasn't exactly being him missing chance after chance, he literally hasn't been getting any service at all in this system. He's not good at holding the ball up, we know that, and wants it played in behind.

You can see why Pardew is foaming at the mouth at the prospect of getting Big Andy back, so we can hoof it up to him at any given opportunity.

I know it's easy to place blame on the manager when things aren't going right and everything seems to be conspiring against him at the moment, but if he got the plaudits last year when things went well (manger of the year recognition), then he will get the criticism when it's not going so well.

Long rant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Big, big game next against Wigan at home. Looking at the upcoming fixtures for December, if we lose that, then its time to start panicking.

Newcastle XI v Wigan: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Anita, Cisse, Marveaux, Gutierrez, Ba

Christ we need to win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Newcastle XI v Wigan: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote, Anita, Cisse, Marveaux, Gutierrez, Ba

Christ we need to win tonight.

Badly!

Another footballing team, hopefully we'll actually press the opposition today. TBH depends on which Wigan turn up.

Think we'll do it tonight though. First time in 4 games i have predicted a win :(

need a win tonight really hope marv has a good game

• Advertisement

4:2:3:1 is the formation today

FFS Tiote, chill out.

good first half would love to see a few more goals now and really hammer them, good performance by every1 tonight except as usual guti has been very poor,
    hopefully this result and performance will put an end to 442

Credit to Pardew for changing the 4-4-2. At last.

There is a match thread gentlemen....

Marveaux needs to start instead of Guti.

Good to see us passing the ball because it was getting a bit ridiculous hitting everything long when we are not suited to that.

Delighted for Bigi.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Tiote was taking off for his own good or as an injury precaution?

Anita much better tonight. Glad to see because his quality isn't in doubt.

:D

A9OktEXCAAAqnOo.jpg:large

So Ranger starts tonight. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Great to see Ranger back in the fold - he's got unbelievable potential.
    Hopefully he won't throw this final chance away.

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »
    Great to see Ranger back in the fold - he's got unbelievable potential.
    Hopefully he won't throw this final chance away.

Sorry mate really dont agree, the lad wants to be 2pac or some other rapper gangster, total waster who will never be a top goalscorer(5 goals in 72 appearances for all clubs), would much rather see campbell or anybody else getting a game

Maybe a bit harsh but thats just my opinion on ranger

I think he's a waste of space too but I said the same thing about Perch last year.

Obviously Pardew sees enough positives to give the lad a chance, so lets support him.

I have spoken about ranger earlier this season. He has given a long series of hoops to jump through by pardew. This is not a knee jerk decision. From my understanding he had timekeeping, drinking and curfew rules that he had to follow to the letter to get this opportunity. I'm not saying he deserves another chance but he has certainly worked for this one. I'll wait and see

What a save from Elliott... Awful marking but a great recovery

Shaky at the back and blunt up top, reserves have the same problems the seniors do :(

Abysmal first half from Newcastle. Bordeaux reserves far sharper than ours. Complete dominance in fairness. Did we have a shot?

Anita on for Sammy who had a stinker of a half. Loosing his way after a pretty bright start

what a ball from bigi and a very decent effort from shola

Much improved second half performance. Change of formation seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

cadete wrote: »
    Sorry mate really dont agree, the lad wants to be 2pac or some other rapper gangster, total waster who will never be a top goalscorer(5 goals in 72 appearances for all clubs), would much rather see campbell or anybody else getting a game

Maybe a bit harsh but thats just my opinion on ranger

Each to their own, but I have always been excited about this guy's potential. Has the ability to be an unreal CF.
    I just hope he knuckles down and shows us some of it.

• Advertisement

The amount of soft goals we've conceded this season has been nothing short of criminal.

Hmmmm, the similarities between our first team and this are striking. Poor execution of the basics, awful tactics, long ball and poor defending. unfortunately that can only lead to one man. OUr Game plan is blatantly obvious and Pards needs to have a rethinnk

Woeful from Williamson there for the second. This guy just gets worse and worse.
    We badly need a center back in January more so than any full back.

bazual wrote: »
    Woeful from Williamson there for the second. This guy just gets worse and worse.
    We badly need a center back in January more so than any full back.

Im not buying that for one minute. All our defenders are conceding awful goals. Our tactics and patterns of play usually lead to us being one down, pards pushes the team up and we concede sloppy 1:1 goals. Colo has had 2.

We have a management issue here. Pards long ball tactics not cutting the mustard anymore

M5 wrote: »
    Im not buying that for one minute. All our defenders are conceding awful goals. Our tactics and patterns of play usually lead to us being one down, pards pushes the team up and we concede sloppy 1:1 goals. Colo has had 2.

We have a management issue here. Pards long ball tactics not cutting the mustard anymore

Totally agree on the management issue M8 and the tactics, I am not sure what has changed between last year and this year. Is he trying to please Demba Ba so he wont leave by playing him up front when i think he is better coming from the left and a bit deeper. We have got to go back to the 4-3-3 with demba, cisse, HBA up top in that order.

I just think our strongest 11 when everyone is available still has an issue at CB. We need someone decent alongside Colo. Saylor and Willo just don't cut it at premier league level.

Pardew at the end of last season:
    “Set plays have been really disappointing this year and I am contemplating bringing in someone because we don’t have a dominant header of the ball,”

“On the scouting front, we are looking at a centre-half who can come and score us eight goals next season.”

“We are saying to Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson, ‘Are you going to bring that for us’, and putting a bit of pressure on those guys to improve.”

He knows we have a problem there, but wasn't given the funds to address it.

How we can continue under and over-hitting passes by such huge margins is baffling. Ball control also a big problem in the reserves as well as the seniors. Look like a pub team

Pardew at the end of last season:

He knows we have a problem there, but wasn't given the funds to address it.

That does not excuse the same putrid tactics being employed every bloody game. The lack of confident of any of our players to take on a player or attempt anything but a safe ball that gets them off it. There is something deeply wrong with the squad and management at the moment and it needs to be addressed now.

M5 wrote: »
    That does not excuse the same putrid tactics being employed every bloody game.

I know well. Just pointing out that Pards knew a CB was a priority in the summer and he wasn't given funds to go get one. 3 recognised CB's in the squad and one who never plays more than half a season.

Look back over this thread and you will see I have been one of the most critical of his tactics and long ball insistence.

• Advertisement

It's worth looking at the players Tottenham have fielded in this competition.

Most the senior players. No complaints of fatigue there.

Yet we make around 9 changes and the excuse for poor league form is the Europa League......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement