Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

No win in 12 away games - worst run for over 21 years :eek:

Hopefully that gets sorted Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Presumably Santon and Ba out for Monday but hopefully HBA back I would love a line-up like the below

Tim Krul
    Danny Simpson---Mike Williamson---Fabricio Coloccini---Jonas Gutierrez
    ----Vurnon Anita
    Cheick Tiote
    Sylvain Marveaux----
    Hatem Ben Arfa
    Papiss Cisse

Shola Ameobi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I know well. Just pointing out that Pards knew a CB was a priority in the summer and he wasn't given funds to go get one. 3 recognised CB's in the squad and one who never plays more than half a season.

Look back over this thread and you will see I have been one of the most critical of his tactics and long ball insistence.

Fair enough. Still think Williamson is better than he is playing at the moment... We certainly need strengthening in all defensive areas

Another superb record! :mad:

Looks like Ben Arfa should start tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

actually looking forward to tonights game, hopefully we will stick to the 433/451 type formation, was suspecting a week ago that we would be beaten here but after last week i hope we have turned a corner. and a little bit of luck tonight would be very welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Nile Ranger FTW.

(For the Winner) :pac:

Big game, would be a huge win. Unlikely, but you just never know what will happen. We need to come out and attack and not sit back. If we do sit back, we'll be well beaten.

Lets hope our CB's feel like playing tonight as well.

HTL.

Check the liveonlinefooty thread in the main forum for a link to sign up to a streams site if you haven't got one for tonight.
    You get a free trial, and it's in HD. Worth it for the night.

Howay the Lads!

Draw would be a decent result, a win would be a huge bonus.

Overall, a performance is a must, considering we only really have Yohan missing.

No excuses tonight. Hopefully Ben Ara turns it on.

4:2:3:1 again tonight with HBA playing in traditional number 10 position

match tread opened by Buzual gents!

I think we need to start playing this guy where he should be.

Number 9. He's not going to play his way out of this bad patch if he's stuck out on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think we need to start playing this guy where he should be.

Number 9. He's not going to play his way out of this bad patch if he's stuck out on the wing.

Problem is, if you play him up top, then it either means we get over-ran in midfield or Ba is then pushed out to the wing.

Very interesting story here about how a fan reckons Demba Ba is to blame for the poor form. This theory from Yorkgeordie is exactly how I feel about Demba Ba all this season. There has to be a reason that Pardew played Ba up front from day 1 this season and it sounds like I am not the only one who has the above opinion. Any thoughts on this?? I know it can't be all Ba's fault and Pardew's tactical decisions as well as his team line-ups have to come into question too.

bazual wrote: »
    Very interesting story here about how a fan reckons Demba Ba is to blame for the poor form. This theory from Yorkgeordie is exactly how I feel about Demba Ba all this season. There has to be a reason that Pardew played Ba up front from day 1 this season and it sounds like I am not the only one who has the above opinion. Any thoughts on this?? I know it can't be all Ba's fault and Pardew's tactical decisions as well as his team line-ups have to come into question too.

I don't think you can blame a player for wanting to play in his favourite position and performing well when he does so. The blame must lie with the manager for not making a decision to benefit the team, rather than benefit one player. The only reason I can see why he decided to play Ba either up top on his own or in a front two was because he wanted to play long ball, and Cisse is not suited to this. - Now that has back fired it has become more and more difficult to change it because Cisse is naturally enough, not in good form.

If Ba threatens to leave when told he is to play from the left, then let him go, that is not the type of player we want. (The annoying thing is that he can actually play quite well on the left, he still got chances from there last season but was suffering from a confidence drop and didn't put them away).

Lambert has had the bottle to drop Bent and play Benteke to benefit the team. If Pardew knows this is hindering the team and he won't make a decision to correct it, 16 games in and us heading towards the relegation zone, then that is seriously worrying. This club is bigger than Demba Ba.

My view is that Cisse is our number 9 and a quality one at that, he should of been told he was our main central striker from day 1 this season. If you look at the video above of his goals in Germany you see how he likes to play and it is no surprise he is not scoring in this team. How many chances have fallen to him in the penalty box? How many "sitters" has he missed in this poor form? Or how many "good" chances even? He's barely even feeding off scraps.

He's either stuck out on the wing, dropping back into our half to get a touch of the ball, or else watching it fly over his head to nowhere. I know he's frustrating with constantly being caught off side and his first touch has being poor but I think this is being emphasised more by the way he is being asked to play.

Despite all this, he is still our 2nd top scorer this season with 4, which says it all about why we are where we are.

Ba left, Cisse central, Ben Arfa right for me all day long.

Just going to throw this in as well - look at the position he takes up for most of these:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Couldn't be really playing City at a worse time I feel. At least we've QPR Sunday week which should be a win no questions asked but Utd and Arsenal away in a row after that!

Hopefully we can start picking up results from early in the New Year to help ease off any pressure. Last thing we want is to be in relegation contention from in or around March- anything can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Big bow that Ben Arfa is ruled out till january,getting so unlucky with injuries this year.Hopefully Marveaux can step up to the plate,he impressed me against wigan and gives us that bit of attacking flair which we don't have at the minute.

I see QPR have entered the race to sign Demba Ba.

Quite hilarious if I may say so myself :pac:

Only a matter of time before he's off then.
    "It is true that Arsenal are among the clubs that are tempting," Ba said.

"Journalists are doing their job, they know Arsenal need strikers and they know I have a clause in my contract so they start speculating."

Newcastle will be desperate to cling on to their prized possession as they sit uncomfortably two points above the drop zone having lost six times in their last seven games.

Pardew told Sky Sports last week: "The clause is always hanging over us and it makes it difficult for us, the club and him. We accept that and that's the way football is."

Newcastle will be looking to bounce back from the 3-1 defeat by Premier League champions Manchester City last week when they host struggling QPR at the weekend.

"Next Saturday is QPR, and at the slightest mistake the crowd will become very demanding," Ba added.

"If we repeat the same performance we put in last weekend I think it will be enough. You shouldn't forget that we played the reigning champions.

"It bothers me a bit when the team doesn't create much, because football is about beautiful play.

"People come to the stadium to watch good football and not to watch long balls from the goalie to the striker."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Match at the weekend is massive - lose that and we're in a good bit of trouble - 2 tough matches after.

Get Loic Remy and I'm a very happy man.

Ba can leave if his hearts not in it. Can play at the very top level Demba.!

A front 3 of Remy, Cisse and Ben Arfa would be a lot more balanced as Remy can play out wide.

It's annoying that the whole team shape has been affected this season to accommodate Ba, if he's going to be out the door in January.

• Advertisement

It would be a big risk, letting the only player in the squad who is scoring, leave in January though, given our precarious league position.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

It's annoying that the whole team shape has been affected this season to accommodate Ba, if he's going to be out the door in January.

The manager puts out the team, have been of the opinion that Cisse should be dropped before Ba, Ba has got more goals, neither of them suit playing out wide.

gav86 wrote: »
    The manager puts out the team, have been of the opinion that Cisse should be dropped before Ba, Ba has got more goals, neither of them suit playing out wide.

That's my opinion also. Unbalances the side having Cisse out wide and if Gutierrez is on the other wing, then noting is being offered from either wing.

Why Marveaux is consistently being over-looked, especially with HBA out is bizarre to me.

TaosHum wrote: »
    That's my opinion also. Unbalances the side having Cisse out wide and if Gutierrez is on the other wing, then noting is being offered from either wing.

Why Marveaux is consistently being over-looked, especially with HBA out is bizarre to me.

Jonas has been muck this year, 16 games, 3 shots, no assists and no goals, no cutting edge.

The same reason he wouldn't pick HBA this stage last season - he's not a grafter and won't track back; which explains why running around like a headless chicken is keeping Jonas in the team.

gav86 wrote: »
    Jonas has been muck this year, 16 games, 3 shots, no assists and no goals, no cutting edge.

17 goals in 373 career games according to Wiki. Needs replacing badly.

It would be a big risk, letting the only player in the squad who is scoring, leave in January though, given our precarious league position.

Give Cissé Ba's role and he'll bang them in too.
    Ba is a very good CF no doubt, but the team isn't going to be held to ransom with him.

Cissé is a finisher, a good headerer of the ball and probably a tad more creative than Demba.

Cissé
    --Remy
    HBA

Cab

Tioté --- Anita

DS -- Colo - MW - MD
    Timmy

Get Debuchy in alongside Remy. Simpson not good enough to hand pacey attackers down the wing. Douglas would be a great addition instead of Williamson, but unlikely to arrive in January.

Prob only get 1 one in!

Something worth remembering also lads is that Simpson is out of contract come June, so they may try off load him and get what they can get.

Whether its Debuchy or someone else they have lined up, a LB is needed urgently.

• Advertisement

Metalist Kharkiv in the EL. Good chance of progressing to the last 16.

Metalist Kharkiv in the EL. Good chance of progressing to the last 16.

Then either Hannover or Anji. Would be good to get a run going in this competition

Are Newcastle at home for the first leg?

Wouldn't fancy going out to Ukraine in need of a result.

Are Newcastle at home for the first leg?

Wouldn't fancy going out to Ukraine in need of a result.

Yeah, non-seeded teams at home in the first leg. Will be a hostile environment i'd say, see on twitter they were one of the teams mentioned in the BBC report before the Euros.

Gonna be brilliant IMO.

Would love to make the away tie.

Reckon we'll take it over the two, home leg crucial obviously!

Ginormous game for us today, hopefully it'll get the go ahead. Very much in the balance at the moment however.

Mind you, whens the last time you heard the word 'ginormous'? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I have a bad feeling about this game.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling about this game.

Me too, but hoping for a 2-1 win. Come on the toon.

Missed the first 10 mins, how have we started?

Missed the first 10 mins, how have we started?

We are the better side so far, knocking it around well. Ba playing well but weak link so far is Jonas with poor interplay and poor crossing. Player of the season last year for me but a close second worst to willo this season.

Better from Jonas, maybe i should keep knocking him.

• Advertisement

Chrisy Hughton really has Norwich flying.

Its set up for a one nil QPR lead at half time here sicne this is the best football we have played in a few games. No long balls really.

F Off Ba for christ sake.

This is as dull as it gets.

If it stays like this the Mackems go ahead of us. If thats not an incentive for Xmas I don't know what is.

QPR don't look like they have any ambition to win the game.

Need to up the tempo and get at them. Hopefully we edge it 1-0.

Would like to see Marveaux come on.

Movement off the ball is shocking bad.

Obertan for me, I think we can get at them from the wings and Obertan for Perch would be my option. 3 in midfield is just not doing anything really. Simpson needs some help on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I would like to see marv brought on his runs from the middle and also obertan could add something different,

Great management from Redknapp bringing on Wright Philips to keep Santon quiet as he can see the only danger Newcastle are posing is the combination of Jonas and Santon. Time to bring on Obertan and get something going down the right to counteract it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement