Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Doocey wrote: »
    Yeah, that's fair enough but we're definitely not one of the three worst teams in the league.

Sunderland, QPR, Villa, Reading are just four teams that are of worse standard to us.

Ba's departure will only benefit us. The return of HBA, Cabaye, Taylor will help us rivet into form. That's not even mentioning Debuchy though. AND if we can get a CB in then we'll have done brilliantly.

Our forward line is fine as is, there's goals in them, but its the defence that needs sprucing up. Simpson in talks with West Ham AFAIK so Tavernier will be back-up.

If we get relegated this season I'll emigrate to North Korea.

Keep the faith.

Your missing the point though. The squad we have should not be anywhere near the position it is in! We have continued with tactics and set plays that have not worked in months.

Im guessing that Ba's treatment to the detriment of Cisse etc has affected squad morale. The alternative is that Pardew has lost the plot which is far less palatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

M5 wrote: »
    Your missing the point though. The squad we have should not be anywhere near the position it is in! We have continued with tactics and set plays that have not worked in months.

Im guessing that Ba's treatment to the detriment of Cisse etc has affected squad morale. The alternative is that Pardew has lost the plot which is far less palatable.

I'm well aware that we're underachieving, but I expected it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Next season I've a feeling we'll be barking at the Top 6 again, this season is more of a building period.

I think we've varied our corners just a little, but no end product which is disappointing. Freekicks have improved; Perch almost scoring that header against the post from Anita's delivery.

The team will only get better from now on, at least in my opinion it will, can't get much worse I'd hope!

I'm well aware that we're underachieving, but I expected it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Next season I've a feeling we'll be barking at the Top 6 again, this season is more of a building period.

I think we've varied our corners just a little, but no end product which is disappointing. Freekicks have improved; Perch almost scoring that header against the post from Anita's delivery.

The team will only get better from now on, at least in my opinion it will, can't get much worse I'd hope!

Doocey we are getting worse, not better. We have been in a steady decline since march last year. We are now loosing our best players and if we finish 10th (which looks optimistic) our better players will attract attention and we'll again loose players in the summer.

We need a statement of intent from the club, and soon or we will be pushing for top a top 6 place but in the Championship

Agreed that we cant get worse though. I would be surprised if more than one or two teams had a worse 13 games than we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I'm sideing with M5 on this one. I'm losing faith in Pardew primarilly due to his determination to continue to favour the long ball. What's funny is that when he arrived, the team was set up to play that way with the likes of Carroll, Nolan, Barton, etc. But Llambias and Ashley wanted to get away from this and bring in players who are comfortable in possession.

And that's what we have at the moment. The likes of Cabaye, Anita, Marveaux, Cisse, Colo, Santon, HBA, Tiote and now Debuchy are all players suited to playing possession football. Pardew it seems is going against the plan of the Gm and owner, which makes it astonishing that he was given an 8 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

TaosHum wrote: »
    I'm sideing with M5 on this one. I'm losing faith in Pardew primarilly due to his determination to continue to favour the long ball. What's funny is that when he arrived, the team was set up to play that way with the likes of Carroll, Nolan, Barton, etc. But Llambias and Ashley wanted to get away from this and bring in players who are comfortable in possession.

And that's what we have at the moment. The likes of Cabaye, Anita, Marveaux, Cisse, Colo, Santon, HBA, Tiote and now Debuchy are all players suited to playing possession football. Pardew it seems is going against the plan of the Gm and owner, which makes it astonishing that he was given an 8 year deal

afaik he was give an 8 year rolling contract, whatever that means!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Salmon wrote: »
    afaik he was give an 8 year rolling contract, whatever that means!!

If he gets the chop, he will only be paid out a years salary.

Sacking the manager would be a bad idea now imo. He needs some support. Any team with Simpson, Williamson and Perch providing defensive duties, will struggle in this league, lets not forget he had these guys playing beyond themselves last season.

His long ball tactics drove me crazy in the first 12 - 14 games, but it's obvious he has changed it up over the last month. Last night the squad was down to the bones and he had to play Shola, which meant back to the long ball (he did state in his interview that Cisse as number 9 will be the way forward).

But we played some great football against the better teams in the league, while missing our best players, and it was individual errors which cost us. Pardew can't take the blame for that.

He's messed up a lot this season, but everything has played against him as well (ridiculous amount of injuries, no support from the board in the summer, big players just not at it (hello Tiote). He deserves some funds and a chance to get us out of this. I still think we will be fine as long as we sign a CB and a Ba replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Do people actually think we're still a long ball side? Fair enough we reverted to it a lot last night chasing an equaliser, and even for our first goal but our performances away at United, Arsenal saw some very quick and neat passing. We had over a hundred more passes than Arsenal on the night.

I blame Williamson for a lot of the long-balls, he doesn't like playing it on the deck; he's very awkward with it on the ground.

Marveaux, Cabaye, HBA, Colo, and all the mentioned above by TaosHum are "play it on the deck" footballers, and you'll notice none of them are English too(!).

I believe Anita & Cabaye in the centre will see a nice change, but there's **** all they can do when Williamson/Simpson are ballooning it above them up to Shola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

If he gets the chop, he will only be paid out a years salary.

Sacking the manager would be a bad idea now imo. He needs some support. Any team with Simpson, Williamson and Perch providing defensive duties, will struggle in this league, lets not forget he had these guys playing beyond themselves last season.

His long ball tactics drove me crazy in the first 12 - 14 games, but it's obvious he has changed it up over the last month. Last night the squad was down to the bones and he had to play Shola, which meant back to the long ball (he did state in his interview that Cisse as number 9 will be the way forward).

But we played some great football against the better teams in the league, while missing our best players, and it was individual errors which cost us. Pardew can't take the blame for that.

He's messed up a lot this season, but everything has played against him as well (ridiculous amount of injuries, no support from the board in the summer, big players just not at it (hello Tiote). He deserves some funds and a chance to get us out of this. I still think we will be fine as long as we sign a CB and a Ba replacement.

Agree with the above! We have been lacking serious investment for a good few seasons at this stage and im not looking to have pardew sacked (yet!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Calling for Pardews head right now is premature and silly.

Who the **** do we replace him with?

He deserves a chance to sort us out. All is not lost yet. We lost to 3 very good sides. No shame in that. I'm concerned but not calling for heads or being knee jerk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

i see skybet have made us 6/4 favourites to sign danny graham....... a far cry from remy

ashley aint interested in top 6 he just wants us to stay in the top league with minimal investment and to find gems Ala cabaye and benny for under 5 million and sell for 15+, it seems pardew is happy with the situation and is happy to do things this way, we are the new stoke/fulham and years of mid table mediocrity at best becons

we will sign a striker but it wont be the "power and pace" pardew talks about it will be the dregs of the league that no1 else wants and we will have to make do

I enjoyed last season looks like it will be our best for quite some time

• Advertisement

I'm not arguing for Pardew's head, as I think he at least deserves the opportunity to get the team out of this position and he has had poor luck with regard to injuries. But I do think M5 has raised some worrying issues that Pardew has been responsible for, which have contributed to the teams recent plight.

The one thing I will say for Pardew is that he at least getting the team to work hard and play for him. Many teams you see under-achieving will usually show a lack of interest or intensity. I don't see that in the Newcastle team at the moment, which would suggest the players are working hard for him. Obviously effort is simply not enough in the PL, but it is at least a good starting point.

I think once we get HBA and Cabaye back we will pull away from the relegation zone and hopefully see the ball played on the ground primarily. A good run in the Europa League could turn the season around very quickly also.

Debuchy deal done

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Really??? Great news and a good start to the weekend

At last. Hopefully this is a sign that Cabaye will stick around.

0,,10278~11535869,00.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Ba didnt stick around for Cisse :rolleyes:

The Ba deal is confirmed and he is now confirmed with Chelsea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

BArra wrote: »
    Ba didnt stick around for Cisse :rolleyes:

The Ba deal is confirmed and he is now confirmed with Chelsea

Not overly dissapointed Ba is leaving, I think in order for a team to get the best out of him they have to adapt their tactics. A front line of Remy, Cisse & Ben Arfa would be alot more effective imo.

Glad to see the Debuchy deal done too but frustrated it wasnt completed in the summer because of tightarse Ashley, Lille still got the price they were looking for in the end, it just took a half season of other teams exposing our defensive frailties for Ashley & his puppy Lambias to realise he was badly needed.

We desperately need to sign a quality centre back in this window aswell, Williamson or Perch are just not good enough to provide cover in that position to the injury prone Taylor & erratic Collocini this season.

I wouldnt lay the blame completely at Pardews door but his tactical limitations & naivety are becoming more & more apparent with each game. He has form for this too, usually starting the first two seasons at a new club very brightly with alot of motivational posters/speeches & big talk but this will only get you so far at any club. He has shown this already at Reading, West Ham & Charlton to their cost with both Charlton & West Ham getting relegated. I think its a simple case of he gets found out & doesnt have a plan B when he does.

Ashley has been a disgrace again imo, to think we finished 5th place last season just two points off a champions league place & there was little to no investment in the squad last summer. Talk about a lack of ambtion, just wtf is this guy playing at. The dogs in the street new we got very lucky in more than our fair share of games last season & with injuries too.

We needed a right back, centre back, proper central midfield cover(not free transfers) & more attackers to provide cover for another injury prone player in Ben arfa & two strikers who have huge dips in form from time to time. This sort of business should have been sorted in the summer, not now when it's going to be difficult to attract the calibre of the type of player we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Money spent on transfers this season £13.5 million
    Money received on transfers £12.5 million (£10.5 if you include the 2 mill we paid to Demba to go)

How much more money is in the kitty for Pards?

If we are going for youth with a good sell on value would like to see players like the below joining
    Pape Moussa Konate - Senegal young striker, get Papiss to have a word.
    Facundo Ferreyra - Argentinas next big thing, get Colo and Jonas to have a word.
    Nicolas Isimat-Mirin - French defender we have been rumoured with great prospects, get half the squad to have a word.
    Serge Aurier - Ivorian that plays in France as right back, another one with a great future. Would be good cover if Simpson is leaving and someone to bring on if Debuchy needs to be pushed forward, get Cheick to have a word.
    Adam Maher - Probably the pick of the bunch, would be hard to get but would compliment HBA. If we had Cisse up front with HBA and Maher floating behind it would be fantastic.

Anyway, thats my wish list if its buy young with the potential of a good sell on fee.

Here is the linup of our injured (10) and unavailable players for today

Harper

Simpson, Colo, Taylor, Taylor
    Gosling, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez
    HBA

Cisse

Incredible injury list

Do people actually think we're still a long ball side? Fair enough we reverted to it a lot last night chasing an equaliser, and even for our first goal but our performances away at United, Arsenal saw some very quick and neat passing. We had over a hundred more passes than Arsenal on the night.

I blame Williamson for a lot of the long-balls, he doesn't like playing it on the deck; he's very awkward with it on the ground.

Marveaux, Cabaye, HBA, Colo, and all the mentioned above by TaosHum are "play it on the deck" footballers, and you'll notice none of them are English too(!).

I believe Anita & Cabaye in the centre will see a nice change, but there's **** all they can do when Williamson/Simpson are ballooning it above them up to Shola!

AFAIK we are miles ahead in the long balls table

This is already a shambles.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    This is already a shambles.

Anything except a defeat would surprise me. Best we can hope for is not to pick up any more injuries

Brighton very small at the back. I wonder if we could double our goals from corner stat for the last 300?

Pathetic defending yet again.

I can't ever remember a Newcastle team being so poor defensively, and that is saying a lot.

Was hoping we could get by this tie, so we could have a good go at the cup when our best players come back.

Don't see it happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Whatever about a lack of ability in this team,there is without dount a lack of passion.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Pathetic defending yet again.

I can't ever remember a Newcastle team being so poor defensively, and that is saying a lot.
    Wouldn't go that far,Carr,Bramble,Boumsong and Babayaro were worse I reckon!

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Whatever about a lack of ability in this team,there is without dount a lack of passion.

Pretty sure pards has lost the dressing room. All the signs are there

Pardew's cup record at Newcastle:

Knocked out to Stevenage in the 3rd round of the FA Cup the year he took over. Knocked out of the FA Cup and League Cup to Brighton and Blackburn respectively in the 4th round last season. And now looking like heading out in the 3rd round to Brighton again.

That's not great is it.

OBERTAN, WTF WAS THAT

• Advertisement

Pretty sure pards has lost the dressing room. All the signs are there

think i have to agree with you, we needed a win today even just to start the ball rolling. he should have put cisse on the bench for sure and needs to get marv on the park now

We should try playing some more long ball i think

:rolleyes:

Nice one Shola

yay, shola gone for the next game too. Two marginal yellows = red. Pathetic refereeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Never a yellow in my books, meal made of that.

Nice one Shola

both yellows were harsh at best, shocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Crazy decision:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Jaysis, Obertan pulling out of that challenge looked terrible

Getting old at this stage. Evertons equalizer was nowhere near being a foul either. We cant appeal either

dfx- wrote: »
    Jaysis, Obertan pulling out of that challenge looked terrible

was thinking the same.... Same chap was bitching cause he wasnt in the team earlier in the season. Disgraceful

• Advertisement

both yellows were harsh at best, shocker
    Looking back at that again,it was a ridiculous decision,Lee Probert getting it wrong now 2 yrs in a row. Whatever luck we may have gotten last year,we're getting absolutely zilch this year.

This has 2008/2009 written all over it.

Awful performances, awful refereeing. Things going from bad to worse to downright comically ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sami ameobi is stone cold useless

Ah another commentator falls into the same trap, lauding brighton. Sorry but we hear that every bloody game. NUFC are a disaster atm. Genuinely believe we would struggle to beat a league 2 side.

Stop arsing about Pardew and bring on Marveaux or Adam Campbell ta fúck

is anyone suprised really, the idiot left the ref with no choice. this is not good enough anymore they are def gonna score again, shola has done pardew a favour he can blame the sending off now for bein easily beaten by brighton again! where will a goal come from we have ranger up top ober on the wing who has done nothin sammy on the other side who dont have the ability to do anything can easily see us get beat 3 nil

Stop arsing about Pardew and bring on Marveaux or Adam Campbell ta fúck

Nah, what we need is more long ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Obertan looked disappointed to be coming off. I guess he didn't know how useless he was.

Ridiculous block, figures

Think we need to start hitting it long abit more.

Get Mike Williamson up there!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement