Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

That_Guy wrote: »

He's shown glimpses of talent but with the right man management he could prove to be a very very good signing for us.

Yeah think so, as he's a graduate of the Clairefontaine academy too right?
    I just dont think he's got what it takes... Ferguson would loan him if he felt he really had it, like he did with similar aged players like Cleverly and Wellbeck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

chimpo85 wrote: »
    Yeah think so, as he's a graduate of the Clairefontaine academy too right?
    I just dont think he's got what it takes... Ferguson would loan him if he felt he really had it, like he did with similar aged players like Cleverly and Wellbeck...

That's the way I see it also. I really dont have confidence in United's young castoff's, especially a guy they invested 3-4m in and are already giving up on.

He may turn a corner,but I wont hold my breath. Another exercise of penny-pinching IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pardew trying to begin gay love affair with Enrique in the hope that he'll stay :pac:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/07/newcastle-united-alan-pardew
    "There's been no bids for José and I want him to stay," he said. "I keep looking at him and smiling. He smiles back but he hasn't signed the contract yet and that is a problem."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    Pardew trying to begin gay love affair with Enrique in the hope that he'll stay :pac:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/07/newcastle-united-alan-pardew

Oh dear. I have a horrible bloody image in my head now. Cheers for that Paully ya feckin' bastard. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Joey7BartonJoseph Barton

Just heard David Pleat's comments from last wk, should he be having a pop at anyone? Really??? #3mph

Obertoooooooooon!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

wud fergie let go somebody go who had real potential though?

how much did we pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

BArra wrote: »

how much did we pay?

i doubt it, 3 million, im sure most toon fans are not to excited by him TBH, might be the next Keith Gillespie though :)

BArra wrote: »

how much did we pay?

i doubt it, 3 million, im sure most toon fans are not to excited by him TBH, might be the next Keith Gillespie though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

£3m isn't a gamble really; although Ashley and co. probably count it as a £13m capture.
    What Derek Llambias is doing in this photo I don't know - looks like a clown.

0,,10278~9871965,00.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

we'll see, hes meant to have moments of brilliance... heres hoping lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Mind you, how slick does Pardew look. :pac:

Doocey wrote: »
    £3m isn't a gamble really; although Ashley and co. probably count it as a £13m capture.
    What Derek Llambias is doing in this photo I don't know - looks like a clown.

0,,10278~9871965,00.jpg

You can see one of Pardew's puppet strings hanging out at the bottom left of the picture. Mike Ashley must be just out of shot :pac:

I quite like Pardew's smile. It says, "I'm just gonna pretend that I had something to do with this transfer"

;)

On another note.

Shoooooooooooooola has apparently signed a two year extension onto his contract.

This makes me happy. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Don't know whether you'll have any interest in this but Ken Bates was just on Yorkshire Radio saying we were interested in Smith. He's currently on around £3m a year at Newcastle, he expressed an interest to come to Leeds but Newcastle wanted us to pay £1m a year for him, add tax on to this and it would have cost us around £1.3m and we couldn't afford it. So looks like he won't be coming to Leeds.

JokerD wrote: »
    Don't know whether you'll have any interest in this but Ken Bates was just on Yorkshire Radio saying we were interested in Smith. He's currently on around £3m a year at Newcastle, he expressed an interest to come to Leeds but Newcastle wanted us to pay £1m a year for him, add tax on to this and it would have cost us around £1.3m and we couldn't afford it. So looks like he won't be coming to Leeds.

Balls. Would like him off our wage bill to be honest given that he is one of our higher earners at the club. That and I don't know where he'll really fit in anymore.

Seeing Oberton's big, bald, French head reminds of the legend Antione Sibierski!!!!

Enrique with one foot out the door. Not at all surprised. Would rather we let him go when (or more likely.. if) we get a replacement. Ferguson is a good player but I think it'd be too much too soon for him.

Talk of Erik Pieters coming in as his potential replacement. Don't know too much about him but it'll be a big ask to fill that position and expected to blend in right away.

Just thinking actually.....

If Enrique goes before the weekend.... who the hell do we have to play at left back?

Pieters is expected to be a done deal by Saturday. I doubt he'd be playing right away.

Perch and Fergie are injured....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If Enrique goes before the weekend.... who the hell do we have to play at left back?

Pieters is expected to be a done deal by Saturday. I doubt he'd be playing right away.

Gutierrez maybe? Didn't he play there for Argentina?

Taylor? I can recall seeing him play at full back before.

Leave Colo & Williamson at CB, with Simpson on the right.

I dont know how many times i haev heard that the Enrique to pool deal is done, will ignore until something happens TBH. None of the major news agencies are running the story either. TBH if hes going, off with him!

Gutierrez maybe? Didn't he play there for Argentina?

Nope. He played at right back for them as far as I know. Baffling. He did play at left back for one of our pre season games though this season.

Watching him tackling from left midfield is comical enough as it is. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Nope. He played at right back for them as far as I know. Baffling. He did play at left back for one of our pre season games though this season.

Watching him tackling from left midfield is comical enough as it is. :pac:

Think he played both left and right back for them. Link below. I'm not overly confident with him having to do any sort of tackling either though!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/17/jonas-gutierrez-happy-to-help-at-left-back-72703-28353023/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Is Marveaux fit?

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Is Marveaux fit?

I've heard no reports to suggest that he isn't.

Sign him up!!!

So that's £42 million, Liverpool have invested into the Newcastle United Academy Of Excellence Mike Ashley's back pocket.

So what we are looking at now (potentially) as being our strongest 11.
    Harper

Simpson --- Colo --- Williamson --- Pieters

Marveau --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Jonas

Ameobi --- Ba

Ben Arfa will slot in there either on the wing or just behind Ba when he is fit. Then we have Gosling, Taylor, Krul, Best, Lovenkrands, Oberton, Guthrie as capable backups. But after that we are light.

Going to need guys like Ferguson, Vuckic, Ranger or some of the other young lads to step up. Because that squad is very light.

I'm expecting us to line up like this on Saturday.
    Krul

Simpson --- Colo --- Williamson --- S Taylor/Jonas

Tiote

Barton --- Cabaye --- Marveaux

Ba --- Ameobi

Jonas played left back in a pre season game for us but his defensive duties are lacking to say the least.

Would much prefer S Taylor at left back myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cabaye dropped back to help Tiote out and was given licence to roam forward in attack.

Need to get the front two working right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Surely Stevie Taylor or Kadar will play LB before Jonas, the thoughts of Walcott running at him with the ball! :eek:

6 million!!!! so it seems we are allowed to throw money away when selling players, ie Enrique, Barton, Given who could all command bigger fees but yet we dont have 2 pence to rub together in transfers, im baffled! Makes no sense at all

Also talk that the Pieters deal is done, that was a prerequisite to flogging Jose

M5 wrote: »
    6 million!!!! so it seems we are allowed to throw money away when selling players, ie Enrique, Barton, Given who could all command bigger fees but yet we dont have 2 pence to rub together in transfers, im baffled! Makes no sense at all

We all know about fat Mike and his tightly shut wallet.

£6 - £7 million is decent money for a player on his last year of contract.... Actually let me rephrase that.

£6 - £7 million is decent money for a player on his last year of contract if it's going to be reinvested properly.

We all know about fat Mike and his tightly shut wallet.

£6 - £7 million is decent money for a player on his last year of contract.... Actually let me rephrase that.

£6 - £7 million is decent money for a player on his last year of contract if it's going to be reinvested properly.

I disagree, i think we could have gotten more, we got 35 for Carroll FFS..... Left backs are in short supply! Buy Pieters, hold on to Jose, wait till the last day!

Anyway, hope he enjoys the champions league, oh wait!

I disagree, i think we could have gotten more, we got 35 for Carroll FFS..... Left backs are in short supply! Buy Pieters, hold on to Jose, wait till the last day!

Anyway, hope he enjoys the champions league, oh wait!

Carroll is English and had a 5 year contract whereas Enrique is Spanish and had one year left.

Even if we had gotten more money for him, do you honestly think it would have been spent properly?

I'm expecting us to line up like this on Saturday.
    Krul
    Simpson --- Colo --- Williamson --- S Taylor/Jonas
    Tiote
    Barton --- Cabaye --- Marveaux
    Ba --- Ameobi

Jonas played left back in a pre season game for us but his defensive duties are lacking to say the least.

Would much prefer S Taylor at left back myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cabaye dropped back to help Tiote out and was given licence to roam forward in attack.

Need to get the front two working right away.

You think Pardew will go with Krul over Harper? I certainly hope so, but I have a bad feeling he wont.

Also, I'd be amazed to see Barton starting on Saturday. i know he is back training with the first team, but after all the ****e that has gone down, I would find it extremely odd.

Carroll is English and had a 5 year contract whereas Enrique is Spanish and had one year left.

Even if we had gotten more money for him, do you honestly think it would have been spent properly?

Its not the selling, its the fact we seem to sell so easily, I firmly believe that we could get more from this deal. Same with Barton, and when we sold Given city were flashing cash everywhere. It makes no sense, we are so prudent when buying but sales seem frivolous tbh....

Point taken on the english thing tho, but i repeat, not many quality left backs around either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just heard that ye signed Obertan? WTF? Will he get into your starting 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Its not the selling, its the fact we seem to sell so easily, I firmly believe that we could get more from this deal. Same with Barton, and when we sold Given city were flashing cash everywhere. It makes no sense, we are so prudent when buying but sales seem frivolous tbh....

Point taken on the english thing tho, but i repeat, not many quality left backs around either

Totally agree with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

doc_17 wrote: »
    Just heard that ye signed Obertan? WTF? Will he get into your starting 11?

Probably not, considering he hasn't had much time to train with the first team.

He will more than likely be used as an impact sub for the first few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

The thought of Gutierrez playing at left back makes me cringe to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How did ye rate Enrique? £6m seems very under valued IMO

Esse85 wrote: »
    How did ye rate Enrique? £6m seems very under valued IMO

It is undervalued for a left back of his quality,its because his contract is up next yr so newcastle can't risk loosing him for nothing next yr.....tbh I'm surprised liverpool didn't throw us a bit extra giving the fact they've overpaid big time on players not worth half of their transfer fees

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭spudwiser

Seannew1 wrote: »
    It is undervalued for a left back of his quality,its because his contract is up next yr so newcastle can't risk loosing him for nothing next yr.....tbh I'm surprised liverpool didn't throw us a bit extra giving the fact they've overpaid big time on players not worth half of their transfer fees

If you compare it to the clichy transfer (7m and same contract situation) its not too bad

The fee doesn't bother me, its that we dont seem to have a replacement lined up for the near future. In his press conference, Pardew said "(Jose) replacement is ongoing as we speak. Need to put in place our backup plan now." This is idiotic if true as it has been known for months that jose was nailed on to go.

Knowing this they still allow us to go in the first game of the season without a recognised left back. Unf**kingforgivable.

According to the dutch media: NUFC have now approaced PSV, and made clear they want to make a bid for Pieters before the weekend (Voetbal International).

deadline for registering a player for saturday is 5pm tomorrow

Do you lads think Barton will play on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭spudwiser

Do you lads think Barton will play on Saturday?

On the bench at best I'd imagine

Ben Arfa out for another 5 or 6 weeks, according to the Chronicle.

Paully D wrote: »
    Ben Arfa out for another 5 or 6 weeks, according to the Chronicle.

Wow, this preseason just keeps getting better.

• Advertisement

spudwiser wrote: »
    If you compare it to the clichy transfer (7m and same contract situation) its not too bad

The fee doesn't bother me, its that we dont seem to have a replacement lined up for the near future. In his press conference, Pardew said "(Jose) replacement is ongoing as we speak. Need to put in place our backup plan now." This is idiotic if true as it has been known for months that jose was nailed on to go.

Knowing this they still allow us to go in the first game of the season without a recognised left back. Unf**kingforgivable.

According to the dutch media: NUFC have now approaced PSV, and made clear they want to make a bid for Pieters before the weekend (Voetbal International).

deadline for registering a player for saturday is 5pm tomorrow

No chance of getting a new left back in before then.Pardew over the last couple of wks seemed to think that Enrique would actually stay and like you said he came out yesterday saying that they knew all along he'd be going.I suppose they thought we would have had Taylor from Swnasea on board to fall back on.......lets hope Enrique has a similar fate to Olivier Bernard when he begged Newcastle to re sign him a year and a half after leaving them......doubt that'll happen with Enrique though!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement