Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

dont think so utd sre on setanta but i'm sure there wil be a stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Despite our recent troubles, cant see past a win for us.
    We need an early goal to settle though, wolves will be throwing everything into the box.
    Going for
    Cech
    Terry, Cole, Ivan, Bose
    Ramires, Lamps, Merieles
    Danny, Mata, Torres

This is when we need to step forward and perfom till the whistle blows

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Courtois sent off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Just read on twitter that jt has scored as many goals as suarez in the league this season:eek:

Delighted with the win today and the performance, hopefully we can build on that now and maybe get some confidence back.

Romeu is class and should be played every week IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Just read on twitter that jt has scored as many goals as suarez in the league this season:eek:

He also has the same amount of racism claims levied against him.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

That's now 6 times Didier Drogba and Daniel Sturridge have started together and in 5 of those games Sturridge has found the back of the net (the exception was the QPR game where Sturridge was removed very early after the Bosingwa red card). While some may argue against the inclusion of Drogba in the side, Daniel Sturridge really seems to benefit when he's in there.

huh, probably just variance but might be something there.

Josh, Bertrand, and Romeu better start against Liverpool. With Lukaku to come off the bench.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I recorded MOTD and just watching it now ,

Danny Sturridge bearing down on goal with Mata on the inside has a go himself, no problem with that.

Fernando Torres bearing down on goal only one defender infront of him , has got into full flow, Lamps on the left and another Chelsea man on the right,

Nando bloody passes it rather than taking on the man or having a shot , there seems to be something up with him , I can see why AVB has dropped him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I recorded MOTD and just watching it now ,

Danny Sturridge bearing down on goal with Mata on the inside has a go himself, no problem with that.

Fernando Torres bearing down on goal only one defender infront of him , has got into full flow, Lamps on the left and another Chelsea man on the right,

Nando bloody passes it rather than taking on the man or having a shot , there seems to be something up with him , I can see why AVB has dropped him.

Torres definitely chose the wrong option there, but there was 2 defenders in front of him, Rameries was more or less free on his left and he played the hard ball to Lampard which inevitably got intercepted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Torres definitely chose the wrong option there, but there was 2 defenders in front of him, Rameries was more or less free on his left and he played the hard ball to Lampard which inevitably got intercepted.

There was only one infront of him when he started running at the goal , slowing up allowed the second man come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What do ye make of the way Terry went about getting his yellow card? I've no real problem with it myself, although it does make a mockery of the rules. I remember Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos taking deliberate red cards for Real in the CL last season, and a big UEFA being outraged etc., but I'm not sure if any additional punishment was doled out.

Kenny Cunningham highlighted the incident on RTE, but MOTD typically ignored it.

Good review here, shows Romeu as stand out

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-revived-as-romeu-runs-riot-6268579.html

Re torres, IMO, he shouldnt have shot, but he chose the wrong pass,
    Ramires was free on the right and was the better option than Lamps

Playing the percentages, a simple pass to a player free on the right is better than taking it on his on own or to the left as both these options had covering players

Good to see AVB being braver and "risking" Romeu. It was the right match to do it.
    Hopefully he will keep Mikel out. Unfortunately apart from Betrand I dont think we have any other kids ready to step up apart from Josh and AVB clearly doesnt think he is performing enough yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Romeu is class, he never holds onto the ball too long unlike Mikel who slows everything down. He should definitely start from now on he's already a far better option than Mikel. Wolves were woeful but it was good to get the result and a clean sheet, the early goal settled us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

DavidLuiz_4 David Luiz
    Going to london centre! I love underground! Come fast,pleaseeee! Hahaha yfrog.com/nzuhpvrj

scaled.php?tn=0&server=863&filename=uhpvr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Results all round us were very good to us this weekend bar Spurs , Man U,City,Newcastle,Arsenal,Liverpool all dropped points , it is not half as bleek in here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Results all round us were very good to us this weekend bar Spurs , Man U,City,Newcastle,Arsenal,Liverpool all dropped points , it is not half as bleek in here now

Liverpool and Arsenal are only two points behind us and Spurs are 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand so its still very worrying.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy just yet, we had a good game against a poor Wolves team, our problems are still there and we are in a dangerous spot.

We have a run of very tough games ahead against Liverpool, Newcastle, Valencia and Man City.

We are in serious danger of getting knocked out of the CL and the way we are playing of late I'm not to confident of getting all 3 points in those PL games against Newcastle and City, we'll also have to face a Spurs team who are in very good form at the moment not long after those games so things aren't exactly all rosy.

Those fixtures will tell a lot.

Liverpool and Arsenal are only two points behind us and Spurs are 3 points ahead of us with a game in hand so its still very worrying.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy just yet, we had a good game against a poor Wolves team, our problems are still there and we are in a dangerous spot.

We have a run of very tough games ahead against Liverpool, Newcastle, Valencia and Man City.

We are in serious danger of getting knocked out of the CL and the way we are playing of late I'm not to confident of getting all 3 points in those PL games against Newcastle and City, we'll also have to face a Spurs team who are in very good form at the moment not long after those games so things aren't exactly all rosy.

Those fixtures will tell a lot.

Actually, after a bit of slide into "monkey doom and gloom country", I'm going to go for Pistol Petes "glass half full" view of things.

After 13 games, with a new manager, new tactics and new signings, we are only:
    5 points off Utd in 2nd, depsite their storming start.

We've yet to play 3 teams above us with a realistic chance to take points off them

The league isnt over till May

We will probably further strengthen the squad in Jan

Other teams will also drop points

We have a very good and much better chance of qualifying for the CL knock out phase than Man City.

We have a manager who is giving youth more of a chance, and does have his own determined philosophy and is being given more freedom to follow this through, even if it is a bit painful

So all in all, we are rebuilding and in pretty good shape considering the drastic changes we are undergoing.

Actually, after a bit of slide into "monkey doom and gloom country", I'm going to go for Pistol Petes "glass half full" view of things.

After 13 games, with a new manager, new tactics and new signings, we are only:
    5 points off Utd in 2nd, depsite their storming start.

We've yet to play 3 teams above us with a realistic chance to take points off them

The league isnt over till May

We will probably further strengthen the squad in Jan

Other teams will also drop points

We have a very good and much better chance of qualifying for the CL knock out phase than Man City.

We have a manager who is giving youth more of a chance, and does have his own determined philosophy and is being given more freedom to follow this through, even if it is a bit painful

So all in all, we are rebuilding and in pretty good shape considering the drastic changes we are undergoing.

Are you insinuating that we might still have a chance of wining the league?

The only young player i know of to get a start in the first team on a regular basis is Sturridge, so i don't no where your coming from with the whole "our manager is giving youth a chance line" he hasn't done it often so far.

Romeu should be starting over Mikel full time, just because he started over him at Wolves doesn't mean it will always be so. Lukaku hasn't got a look in yet and likewise for Josh.

We play City with that ridiculous high line and we will be comprehensively beaten IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It's been a rocky couple of weeks and losing out to Leverkusen was a real, real blow. Even though we all know it's a transitional period, there was always the hope that Chelsea could easily hold onto 3rd or 4th in (what I think is) a poor premiership. MU and Arsenal are in decline. MC are not unbeatable. I don't think Spurs, Newcastle or Liverpool can really sustain a tilt at the title. But we're in a dogfight with them for UCL qualification (pretty much a prerequisite for keeping the rebuild on track).

Beating Wolves was only to be expected. But what was most encouraging was the way the newer players (Torres excepted) are really making their mark. It'll take a lot of courage for AVB to break up the Terry dressing room. But my guess is that Drogba will be gone in January, Lampard will be a (valuable) rotated squad player, and Terry's influence will wane to the extent that AVB can look towards replacing him over the next 18 months.

Which takes us to AVB. He's good but not great at the media spin thing. When you're winning that's not a problem. But he's been weakish at explaining the bad results. That will change with time.

Chelsea have to keep faith in him. The January transfer window is a chance to bolster the squad in AVB's image and ramp up the push for that vital automatic UCL qualification spot. Going out to Valencia won't be a disaster, but getting into the last 16 will definitely help targets commit to transfers. Not to mention provide the younger players with valuable experience to build on in future years.

I'm nowhere near as happy as I thought I was back in September. But maybe a bit of reality is a good thing, especially for the old guard. And 3rd or 4th in a silverware-free season may just make Chelsea humble and hungrier for 2012-13.

McDave wrote: »
    It's been a rocky couple of weeks and losing out to Leverkusen was a real, real blow. Even though we all know it's a transitional period, there was always the hope that Chelsea could easily hold onto 3rd or 4th in (what I think is) a poor premiership. MU and Arsenal are in decline. MC are not unbeatable. I don't think Spurs, Newcastle or Liverpool can really sustain a tilt at the title. But we're in a dogfight with them for UCL qualification (pretty much a prerequisite for keeping the rebuild on track).

Beating Wolves was only to be expected. But what was most encouraging was the way the newer players (Torres excepted) are really making their mark. It'll take a lot of courage for AVB to break up the Terry dressing room. But my guess is that Drogba will be gone in January, Lampard will be a (valuable) rotated squad player, and Terry's influence will wane to the extent that AVB can look towards replacing him over the next 18 months.

Which takes us to AVB. He's good but not great at the media spin thing. When you're winning that's not a problem. But he's been weakish at explaining the bad results. That will change with time.

Chelsea have to keep faith in him. The January transfer window is a chance to bolster the squad in AVB's image and ramp up the push for that vital automatic UCL qualification spot. Going out to Valencia won't be a disaster, but getting into the last 16 will definitely help targets commit to transfers. Not to mention provide the younger players with valuable experience to build on in future years.

I'm nowhere near as happy as I thought I was back in September. But maybe a bit of reality is a good thing, especially for the old guard. And 3rd or 4th in a silverware-free season may just make Chelsea humble and hungrier for 2012-13.

+1 on that!

Yes Will, we and at least 4 other teams still have a shot at the title, not a great one admittedly, but still very possible, City and Utd both dropped points when everyone said they had it won, so until its mathematically impossible, why give up now after only 13 games?
    Yes we dont have a great deal of youth to blend in, but at least he gave Danny more of a chance than Carlo ever did and now Romeu has started a game and exactly the right type of game to start. I think the plan was always to slowly blend in players, but the senior players have dropped off more than expected, like Malouda, Anelka etc. If Danny and Romeu break through (and it certainly looks like Danny has), then thats 2 more than last season and too much change can be bad.
    AVB is doing the youth thing the right way - start them in CC and have a look at them and then give them a few league starts. Yes Romeu will have to rotate with Lamps and Mikel but at least he will get a few starts.
    Thats the way Man U have done it for years, and AVB should be commended for taking the hard route and when he needed a win at Wolves under pressure, he still started Romeu.

A high line needs a mobile midfield to protect the defence and Ramires, Romeu and Meirles did that well, whereas Lamps and Mikel are too slow

Its not perfect but we are rebuilding. Liverpool gave City problems by packing the midfield so maybe AVB will change for that game

• Advertisement

+1 on that!

Yes Will, we and at least 4 other teams still have a shot at the title, not a great one admittedly, but still very possible, City and Utd both dropped points when everyone said they had it won, so until its mathematically impossible, why give up now after only 13 games?
    Yes we dont have a great deal of youth to blend in, but at least he gave Danny more of a chance than Carlo ever did and now Romeu has started a game and exactly the right type of game to start. I think the plan was always to slowly blend in players, but the senior players have dropped off more than expected, like Malouda, Anelka etc. If Danny and Romeu break through (and it certainly looks like Danny has), then thats 2 more than last season and too much change can be bad.
    AVB is doing the youth thing the right way - start them in CC and have a look at them and then give them a few league starts. Yes Romeu will have to rotate with Lamps and Mikel but at least he will get a few starts.
    Thats the way Man U have done it for years, and AVB should be commended for taking the hard route and when he needed a win at Wolves under pressure, he still started Romeu.

A high line needs a mobile midfield to protect the defence and Ramires, Romeu and Meirles did that well, whereas Lamps and Mikel are too slow

Its not perfect but we are rebuilding. Liverpool gave City problems by packing the midfield so maybe AVB will change for that game

Ah now Pepper there's optimism and then there's denial.

We don't have a hope of wining the PL this season. Its gone, out of the question for us. Why give up after 13 games? Its not really giving up its just being realistic. I can understand managers not coming out and admitting the Title is gone until it is mathematically impossible but we all know Chelsea aren't going to win no league this season.

Their is no use us burying our heads in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

we are 18 to 1 to win the league

if you think its possible just make a bet on it.

Also we are evens to beat liverpool tomorrow at home.
    they are playing kids, dalgish has warned the fans in advance to save them paying for tickets.

Good article here on the kids, AVb, and all things Chelsea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/28/chelsea-romelu-lukaku-liverpool

(And yes I will believe my dreams, deluded or otherwise, I refuse to accept the title is gone so early and yes Santa is alive and well!)

we are 18 to 1 to win the league

if you think its possible just make a bet on it.

Also we are evens to beat liverpool tomorrow at home.
    they are playing kids, dalgish has warned the fans in advance to save them paying for tickets.

We'll be playing a few ourselves!
    Guardian thinks Lukaku will start

Am I the only one who thinks we have a much better chance of winning with the kids than the first team. Lukaku, josh and romeu have to play surely. With josh and romeu in midfield we would keep the ball better than with lamps or ramires IMO. I am more confident with the young lads than with the older ones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

One of Didier Drogba's agents says he is not interested in a one-year contract at Chelsea and will take biggest offer. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One of Didier Drogba's agents says he is not interested in a one-year contract at Chelsea and will take biggest offer. Link

One part of the article that I hate looking at is :
    "At Didier's age, he has nothing left to prove as a player. He will go where he is offered the most money.

If its true, thats a bad attitude to have.

It could be just an agent talking trying to get a deal for his client but its never a good thing to see.

Pinch of salt methinks, agent mischief!

Still wouldnt be surprised to him and Anelka go and we get in a young proven striker around Mata's age. You need 4 strikers, so Danny and Torres = 2, Luka's (3) not ready yet, so there will be space for a 4th one, but he would be expected to make a contribution quite quickly

Pinch of salt methinks, agent mischief!

Still wouldnt be surprised to him and Anelka go and we get in a young proven striker around Mata's age. You need 4 strikers, so Danny and Torres = 2, Luka's (3) not ready yet, so there will be space for a 4th one, but he would be expected to make a contribution quite quickly

What about Kalou or do we take him as a winger that wont play through the middle unless we are REALLY stuck.

Who would ya like to see brought in? I dont think to many proven playersd will want to be behind Torres and Danny. I think if we lose Nico and Drogba we got to bring in 2 attackers, a wide man/support player like De Bruyne. I'd personally give Lukaku a chance to compete with Torres for the central position because unless we get a guy to play wide right Danny will be out there for the forseeable future.

Personally if we got De Bruyne we could have :

Mata/De Bruyne
    Torres/Lukaku/Danny
    Danny/??

So another support player could fill our front line. Any chance we can take Suarez from Liverpool?? Its going to happen eventually anyway, given our recent transfer history with them. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Re that link; had to lol at tghe part where he'll go to a club where he can be certain he can pay his bills.

I'd say bill paying is something that hasn't cost Didier a nights sleep in a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He will end up with Eto'o

Anyone wanna hazard a guess at the starting 11 tonight??

Youth and experience or throw out the subs/youths/reserves??

I'd hope for

Cech

Bos----Alex----Luiz---Bertrand

Romeu

Lamps----Josh Mac

Kalou
    Torres
    Malouda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who is the best journalist to follow to get the team news for tonight as soon as it becomes available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who is the best journalist to follow to get the team news for tonight as soon as it becomes available?

Tbh with you Keane, different journalist usually get the team news at different times.

I presume you're on twitter, the best thing to do is to pick out a few players that are very likely to start, say Kalou, Romeu etc., and keep searching their name(individually) in the search function around an hour before kick off.

If one journalist names the team early, a good chunk of his followers start retweeting him, or copying his team and tweeting it themselves, and it always shows up on the search function.

I'm guessing your using it for betting purposes? I do it myself sometimes. Be careful though, the very odd time the team is incorrect(but it's usually at the very least 90% correct)

And it's very rare you get the team news earlier than an hour before kick off, 50 mins prior(5 mins early) is usually the best you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Are we not on Tv tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

keane2097 wrote: »

Chelsea TV is free to air for the build up to the game, so maybe they will have the teams first?

smuckers wrote: »
    Are we not on Tv tonight?

Nicked from the pool thread, now they have stopped arguing about suraez and diving :D

"The game tonight is being shown on a few foreign tv channels so there will be streams of some description. They are scheduled here so far that ive found. (please post if you find others, thanks lads). Will update as and when.

http://www.eplstreams.com/ch1.html
    http://vslivestream.com/soccer/ch1.html
    http://www.ilm-tv.info/channel1.php
    http://www.starhd.in/channel2.html
    http://www.kiwi-sportz.eu/stream-2.html
    http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/9...erpool-fc.html"

Nicked from the pool thread, now they have stopped arguing about suraez and diving :D

"The game tonight is being shown on a few foreign tv channels so there will be streams of some description. They are scheduled here so far that ive found. (please post if you find others, thanks lads). Will update as and when.

http://www.eplstreams.com/ch1.html
    http://vslivestream.com/soccer/ch1.html
    http://www.ilm-tv.info/channel1.php
    http://www.starhd.in/channel2.html
    http://www.kiwi-sportz.eu/stream-2.html
    http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/9...erpool-fc.html"

Would have preferred to see this game live on a channel, rather then streaming it. Ah well, revenge is a most even though not many of the same players will play in this tonight.

gavredking wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see this game live on a channel, rather then streaming it. Ah well, revenge is a most even though not many of the same players will play in this tonight.

Yep arsenal vs man city is the only one shown on Sky 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its only the League Cup, just about more important than the ZDS/Full Members Cup used to be. Non-event of a competition.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Its only the League Cup, just about more important than the ZDS/Full Members Cup used to be. Non-event of a competition.

While i agree with that, it still does not excuse pathetic defending. If we continue to defend like this we may aswell not bother to turn up for the big games. simple as that

I do not know who it reflects on more but Anelka is playing deeper than Luiz in this game :)

Its not only a cup lads , it was really our chance at silverware , missed the game but am bloody fuming at the result , even more so fuming at supposed fans like this lad , Il wait till I calm down to tell him what i think of him :mad:

Its funny really, you will have the same clowns posting in the Chelsea thread defending AVB and his ridiculous style and philosophy, but time-and-time again results like this happen and more often than not their down to AVB tactical ineptness and unwillingness to change his philosophy which is clearly broken.

An easy result against a poor Wolves side and half the clowns thought we had turned it around, its farcical.

Its not being a "real fan" to blindly follow your club and be unwilling to admit their obvious failings. We are in real trouble unless AVB changes his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Won't be too disheartened over that!It's only the Carling Cup we've bigger fish to fry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I know it's only the Carling Cup, but it's losing at home again that písses me off the most!

Fortress Stamford Bridge is long gone. :(

Meh, I didn't expect much today and chelsea delivered the expected. We will go nowhere when we concede soft goals. My faith in avb is on a downward spiral, we are talking basic management skills.

I do not know who it reflects on more but Anelka is playing deeper than Luiz in this game :)

ha class

That was a terrible result , real chance of silverware gone out the window, makes it bloody worse that Liverpool have beaten us twice in 10 days and at home , its bloody shameful :o

None of this crap its only a mickey mouse cup , we all really wanted a win and big performance and it didnt happen

I look at Aguero and Suarez both who we had courted for ages and we end up with Torres who at this stage is an absolutely massive flop and cost us 50 bloody million compared with what City and Liverpool paid for there boys we as a club have serious egg on our face.

Its clear the system isnt working , the players just are not good enough for it.

Some clueless Chelsea 'fans" in here who say our manager is tactically inept obviously dont know there arse from there elbow.

They stink of the type of fan who only came along in the glory days and never suffered a proper baren spell at the club, no doubt they will be wearing SKY blue soon enough :rolleyes:

If I got the Chelsea job i'd cull the bad influences in the dressing room. Get rid of the old timers with far too much sway.

Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Anelka, even Cashley Cole. These are lads who don't have hunger anymore but have far too much of an opinion on how things should be done.

Any new manager coming in almost has to win them over before making an impact and thats never right.

Ye have one of the top young coaches in Europe, ye paid 13 million to get him from Porto, ye need to let him build his own team.

Rather than briging in an old timer like Hiddink who will prop up the careers of the egos in the squad who are also coming to the end of their careers.

Short term pain for Long term gain.

As sensible a post I have seen on the Chelsea predicament at the moment , and the part in bold is what its all about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement