Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

That was a terrible result , real chance of silverware gone out the window, makes it bloody worse that Liverpool have beaten us twice in 10 days and at home , its bloody shameful :o

None of this crap its only a mickey mouse cup , we all really wanted a win and big performance and it didnt happen

I look at Aguero and Suarez both who we had courted for ages and we end up with Torres who at this stage is an absolutely massive flop and cost us 50 bloody million compared with what City and Liverpool paid for there boys we as a club have serious egg on our face.

Its clear the system isnt working , the players just are not good enough for it.

Some clueless Chelsea 'fans" in here who say our manager is tactically inept obviously dont know there arse from there elbow.

They stink of the type of fan who only came along in the glory days and never suffered a proper baren spell at the club, no doubt they will be wearing SKY blue soon enough
    :rolleyes:

I was wondering how long before the monkeys came out to fling their sh!t around. Thats BS, just because a fan disagrees with the tactics does not make them a glory days man U style fan. I have supported the club long before roman came along and I have big questions over AVBs tactics. He is not getting the best out of this team and thats bloody frustrating, I have a right to be angry about what I feel is poor managing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Losing at home to Liverpool in a reserve match would piss me off so losing 3 points and a potential cup really pisses me off!

Amazing when you look back to jose where we didnt lose at home for years, let alone twice in a week!

The players cant have gotten this bad since last season so AVB must take most of the blame IMO but the senior players need to step up or we'll be playing Thursday night football next season with Shamrock Rovers and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I know its only the Carling but its lack of passion from some of those players which is a worry, Malouda can **** off as far as I'm concerned.
    Torres had **** all to work with in the first but even when he got it he couldn't do that right, only a slight improvement in the second half.
    Luiz is going to get AVB the sack,but AVB is not learning form past mistakes.
    I'm afraid guys if we don't beat Valencia he'll be gone IMO, but it doesn't matter who is in charge, too many players care more about the money then wearing the shirt.
    I'm very depressed about the whole thing.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

That was a terrible result , real chance of silverware gone out the window, makes it bloody worse that Liverpool have beaten us twice in 10 days and at home , its bloody shameful :o

None of this crap its only a mickey mouse cup , we all really wanted a win and big performance and it didnt happen

I look at Aguero and Suarez both who we had courted for ages and we end up with Torres who at this stage is an absolutely massive flop and cost us 50 bloody million compared with what City and Liverpool paid for there boys we as a club have serious egg on our face.

Its clear the system isnt working , the players just are not good enough for it.

Some clueless Chelsea 'fans" in here who say our manager is tactically inept obviously dont know there arse from there elbow.

They stink of the type of fan who only came along in the glory days and never suffered a proper baren spell at the club, no doubt they will be wearing SKY blue soon enough :rolleyes:

Good post that.
    Of course I'm not happy that we lost, and we lost to basic defending mistakes. We had chances to score but it just wont happen for Luka. He will in the future. He gets into great positions, and isnt afraid to muscle though, he'll come good alright.
    Yes there are problems, no denying it, but I'm not going to start calling for AVB's head. He's there to rebuild, he's inherited problems, the board know that, even Torres who was a vanity/panic buy and hopefully the last of this type.
    I have faith in AVB, just not the players he hasnt bought.
    Mata, Romeu and Luka are all good signings, cant see how anyone can deny that.
    Malouda and co are finished that much is obvious, I doubt they could cut it even playing the trad 4-3-3. At least AVB gave Betrand and co a chance.
    Now everyone can see why he went after Pereira, young pacy adaptable players, just a shame he didnt have enough time to get a few more of his own signings in. So much time wasted chasing Modric
    We have to stick with AVB though a whole season, not knee jerk

All in all I've seen worse, playing millwall in the 2nd div springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You play Newcastle(a), Valencia(h), Man City(h), Tottenham(a) in 4 of your next 5 fixtures.

Tough run, especially in yer current form.

Blatter wrote: »
    You play Newcastle(a), Valencia(h), Man City(h), Tottenham(a) in 4 of your next 5 fixtures.

I find it hard to see AVB still in charge after that run of games, I would love him to do well and hopefully our form changes but I don't see that happening atm because he is sticking with the same tactics.

Tbh I see us struggling to win any of those games on current form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

They stink of the type of fan who only came along in the glory days and never suffered a proper baren spell at the club, no doubt they will be wearing SKY blue soon enough :rolleyes:

Make assumptions all you want on what kind of fans people are, Its irrelevant, the reality is AVB is forcing his tactics, mentality, philosophy and style on our team and it is simply not working.

Most of the games we loose are down to AVBs "philosophy". I don't believe the man teaches basic defending or even cares about it.

Since AVB has arrived we have gotten continuously poorer at the back.
    He implements a high line with slow and ageing players and it shows.

Basically the players he has are not fit to carry out the style he is trying to play at Chelsea. That's what it boils down to for me and its poor management and ineptness on his part for forcing it.

I've said it on here after we beat Wolves that the run of fixtures we have coming up (which are extremely tough) will tell a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I find it hard to see AVB still in charge after that run of games, I would love him to do well and hopefully our form changes but I don't see that happening atm because he is sticking with the same tactics.

Tbh I see us struggling to win any of those games on current form

I think ye need to get some sort of positive result against Newcastle and try to kick on from there. A win would be ideal but a draw wouldn't be the worst result at St Jame's Park.

Just seen this now;
    AVB says Champions League is "life or death" after going out of Carling Cup

Blatter wrote: »

arrr, it will be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

smuckers wrote: »
    I know its only the Carling but its lack of passion from some of those players which is a worry, Malouda can **** off as far as I'm concerned.
    Torres had **** all to work with in the first but even when he got it he couldn't do that right, only a slight improvement in the second half.
    Luiz is going to get AVB the sack,but AVB is not learning form past mistakes.
    I'm afraid guys if we don't beat Valencia he'll be gone IMO, but it doesn't matter who is in charge, too many players care more about the money then wearing the shirt.
    I'm very depressed about the whole thing.:(
    Unless Chelsea completely tank in February, AVB will be given the full season to experiment.

Going out to Valencia will be bad. And as a result potential transfer targets might feel this team is in semi-permanent decline and stay clear. But in terms of developing what we have, a good run in the Europa League is more likely than in the Champs League. So that won't be a total loss, as long as we qualify for the UCL next season.

It sure feels like second (or even fourth!) best for a team that has been in the top two for the guts of a decade. But let's not get too hangdog for now. Big change is necessary, and it's not going to happen immediately with the lack of structure at Chelsea since Mourinho left.

I also blame AVB for torres's loss of form. He started the season really well, fast, good movement, looked exactly like the torres of old. He was just getting into his stride at chelsea and linking well with mata. Then AVB drops him for drogba (who is in worse form) for no obvious reason and now he is struggling again. I don't get it, I wonder what random players he will pick for the newcastle game, could be anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I also blame AVB for torres's loss of form. He started the season really well, fast, good movement, looked exactly like the torres of old. He was just getting into his stride at chelsea and linking well with mata. Then AVB drops him for drogba (who is in worse form) for no obvious reason and now he is struggling again. I don't get it, I wonder what random players he will pick for the newcastle game, could be anyone.

I'd rather see Torres go than AVB , whatever about his movement etc the fecker just does not know where the goal is :eek:

Thats bullocks. Torres is the most wretched excuse of a striker I have ever seen and Chelsea have had their share of stinkers. (Fleck, Sutton and spring to mind
    No passion, no joy, head down moany look on his face always seems to be expecting the perfect ball
    Compare him with Danny. Danny always looks bright and up for it, running his arse off, sometimes mindlessly I grant you, but he tries to make things happen. Thats the difference. It was comical when Torres starting copying Dannys type of shots.
    Look at the stats, taken more time than Danny to reach 5 goals, least shots on target, no league assists etc etc, why are we always defending this car crash of a player. God we were done and done proper. We'll never get rid of him now, not even PSG or Anzo are dumb enough to come calling

Luka outshine him tonight and he, like Danny was played out of position on the right.

Carlo and AVb are never gonna get him right.
    Christ even when he had some semblmence of form, he missed an open goal and got himself sent off for chrisssakes!

Please i can accept that my beloved chelsea are now a shadow of their former selves (owners fault, no one elses) but your never convince me that Torres is anything other than a rotten rotten player that Pool managed to get the best out before spitting out a rotten dry sour husk devoid of character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I have to admit I've all but given up on Torres too. I think he should be sold in January or next summer and we just put the whole affair behind us, accept it just didn't work and move on. We need more strikers with hunger and desire. Whatever about Torres' raw talent, whether it's gone or still there, his attitude isn't right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Make assumptions all you want on what kind of fans people are, Its irrelevant, the reality is AVB is forcing his tactics, mentality, philosophy and style on our team and it is simply not working.

Most of the games we loose are down to AVBs "philosophy". I don't believe the man teaches basic defending or even cares about it.

Since AVB has arrived we have gotten continuously poorer at the back.
    He implements a high line with slow and ageing players and it shows.

Basically the players he has are not fit to carry out the style he is trying to play at Chelsea. That's what it boils down to for me and its poor management and ineptness on his part for forcing it.

I've said it on here after we beat Wolves that the run of fixtures we have coming up (which are extremely tough) will tell a lot.

Only 18 goals conceded with porto in all competitions , uefa cup included would say he does know how to play defensively and well at that.

Our player just are not good enough anymore , terrys best days are beyond him , actually this goes for most of our senior team

• Advertisement

Another reason we are in trouble now is that the club has been too slow to bring in fresh faces and get rid of the old. Drogba, anelka, lampard, kalou and malouda should have been out the door in the summer IMO but as usual the club holds on to players who are past it. Drogba is now only here for the retirement money and his career was over after we won the double, has not done much since.

The likes of danny and mata are our new era of top players but we need 3 or 4 more in the 20-23 age bracket, and no more torres type signings FFS.

Another reason we are in trouble now is that the club has been too slow to bring in fresh faces and get rid of the old. Drogba, anelka, lampard, kalou and malouda should have been out the door in the summer IMO but as usual the club holds on to players who are past it. Drogba is now only here for the retirement money and his career was over after we won the double, has not done much since.

The likes of danny and mata are our new era of top players but we need 3 or 4 more in the 20-23 age bracket, and no more torres type signings FFS.

exactly, too many managers given too little chance to properly rebuild.
    Having said that, credit to them for performing so well in the double year, but we really should have been blooding their replacements well before then

Only 18 goals conceded with porto in all competitions , uefa cup included would say he does know how to play defensively and well at that.

Our player just are not good enough anymore , terrys best days are beyond him , actually this goes for most of our senior team

But thats raises more questions. We know the high line can work but only if you have the right players. Its poor or naive management to try and force a high line on players who can't play it. He should push us back a bit and only play the high line when he brings in suitable players. Atm the high line is killing us and will continue to do so until he does his job as manager and tries to fix it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The reason the club has been so slow in replacing the old guard is the managerial merry go round we have been on , no manager has been given the chance to build his squad or even move on some senior dead wood.

AVB must stay if we won't to stop the rot .

The reason the club has been so slow in replacing the old guard is the managerial merry go round we have been on , no manager has been given the chance to build his squad or even move on some senior dead wood.

AVB must stay if we won't to stop the rot .

Fair enough but he was given complete control of transfers in the summer and seemed to be in denial of how poor our squad is. The likes of malouda, anelka and kalou should have been first out the door in the summer, no excuses, anyone who saw chelsea last season was saying this. He is paying for not doing what most were callling for and refreshing the squad .

Remember AVB saying in the summer there would be "nothing radical", well doing nothing radical has come back to haunt him big time IMO

• Advertisement

But thats raises more questions. We know the high line can work but only if you have the right players. Its poor or naive management to try and force a high line on players who can't play it. He should push us back a bit and only play the high line when he brings in suitable players. Atm the high line is killing us and will continue to do so until he does his job as manager and tries to fix it.

We sit back then like Carlo had us do last season and what what happens ??? We can't score in a whore house , short memories lads , Carlo had the same problems but he delt with them in a defensive style and playing deep , first trophy less season in a while it ended up and we were brutal to watch.

AVB is putting in his style now , and some players are being really shown up , January should be interesting

We sit back then like Carlo had us do last season and what what happens ??? We can't score in a whore house , short memories lads , Carlo had the same problems but he delt with them in a defensive style and playing deep , first trophy less season in a while it ended up and we were brutal to watch.

AVB is putting in his style now , and some players are being really shown up , January should be interesting

We are not playing good footbal under AVB, thats the problem. We are playing 'meh' football and don't even bother trying to defend. We need to spend huge in january BUT NOT 50 mill on one player. 50 mill on 2or 3 is whats needed as well as a clear out.

It wasnt a high line that cost us tonight.
    Betrand make a mistake thinking player was offside
    No one picked up player in the box, just watched it back and Luka should have been doing a Drogba and defending, Luiz called him out for it, he didnt pick up his man

Apart from we should have had a peno, i think the high line is a bit of a red herring but we are making basic defensive mistakes.
    Terry is the capt and a defender to boot, he should be organising his defence better, but we miss Carvalio much more than we thought.
    He's the calibre of defender we need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Second team, Carling cup.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It wasnt a bad performance ut it was far from a great performance. Too many old ways crept back into play, we we're slowing down the ball at times.

Torres was ineffective but with Lukaku looking to barge into people and not release the ball at all and Josh getting closed down by Lucas at all times the front line was never going to get much service.

Luiz, while not a penalty it wasnt a booking either. Delighted Carroll missed his penalty, he's useless, at least Torres has shown some form since his move, until he got sent off. Romeu was good again, Lamps was by-passed for alot of the play, Bertrand played ok, apart for getting caught by Bellamy going behind him for the 1st goal.

We have to sort it out for Newcastle, I woudlnt play Drogba and I dont think AVB has faith in Torres, that leaves Danny to play through the middle, who would do a better job then he did against Blackburn who play a different game then Newcastle.

If we lose against Newcastle and go out to Valencia City coming up soon will put huge pressure on an already strained AVB.

While he has to take some of the blame the players out there have to shoulder huge responsbility also, we have leaders in the squad, JT, Lamps, Cech, who have to united the squad as the next run of games is going to be our most important in a long time.

From the site.

Following Chelsea's 2-0 home defeat against Liverpool which ended our Carling Cup chances for this season, Andre Villas-Boas was in an honest mood, admitting that his side's performance simply wasn't good enough.

Second-half goals from Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Kelly put the visitors firmly in the driving seat following a fairly uneventful first period in which the only real drama was a missed Andy Carroll penalty, and though Chelsea rallied late on, Liverpool never looked in any real danger.

Chelsea should have been awarded a penalty in the third minute when David Luiz was clearly brought down in the penalty area by Sebastian Coates, but Villas-Boas did not wish to use that as an excuse.

'The penalty would not have changed the outcome of the result. The referee interpreted it as a dive because he booked David Luiz, but it's impossible to say it would have changed the result,' he said.

Having lost to Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League at home little over a week ago, it's fair to say that the manager will have been hoping for a better performance from his side, but having failed to create any clear-cut openings in the first half, they fared little better after the break as the strikers continued to struggle.

'It was not good today; our best spell was when we were 2-0 down when we managed to get the width right and our crossing right, but for 70 minutes it wasn't good enough,' he said.

'In the second half Liverpool came out very strong and managed to cause us problems. They took a two-goal lead and in the end were far superior.'
    The result was our third defeat in four home games, following the league defeat against Kenny Dalglish's men as well as the 5-3 loss to Arsenal and with pivotal matches on the horizon, against both Valencia and Manchester City, it's a situation that needs to be rectified quickly.

'Away from home we've been more solid, statistically and as a team. At the moment, when we play at home we've not been good enough, we need to get our fans behind us,' said Villas-Boas.

'You can feel Stamford Bridge has become anxious when we play at home but we need their full support, it's the only way you can build the right atmosphere. We have two big games at home now where we need the fans right behind us.'

While the manager was visibly disappointed with his team's efforts this evening, he remained optimistic when looking ahead to a vital December.
    'The Champions League is a life and death situation and we will need to up the tempo and play with desire,' he said.

'For our Premier League challenge to be alive we need to make the most of the December fixtures. We play most of the top teams and that is our challenge for December. March and April can be as decisive, but as we play the top teams it's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bad signings under Ancellotti are costing ye now. Luis and Torres, while at the time looked very good signings have proved anything but. AVB is going about things the right way imo, even if it's yet to come to fruition. This is a transitional season and I fully expect a clearout in Summer that will have ye back among the top dogs next year.

There is a base to build on with players like Mata, Sturridge and Ramires and potentially players underperforming right now like the aforementioned Torres and Luis(if he ever learns to defend) but the players who are stuck in the Mourinho system and incapable of making even a small change from that system really have to be shipped out sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

His greatest form, at United/Swansea/Genk time where he scored in all matches, got him dropped in the EPL because he was suspended. He'd have played otherwise.

G.K. wrote: »
    His greatest form, at United/Swansea/Genk time where he scored in all matches, got him dropped in the EPL because he was suspended. He'd have played otherwise.

But more recently he has been dropped for drogba. Drogba has done nothing to warrant getting back into the team so its puzzling, it can't help his form or confidence if he is in and out of the team. At liverpool he was the first on the team sheet and it gave him confidence. I think AVB has not handled him correctly.

Given the form of drogba and torres I would loook at playing sturridge through the middle. danny, mata and ramires have been our best players this season by far. We need to look to building the future team around these guys.

But more recently he has been dropped for drogba. Drogba has done nothing to warrant getting back into the team so its puzzling, it can't help his form or confidence if he is in and out of the team. At liverpool he was the first on the team sheet and it gave him confidence. I think AVB has not handled him correctly.

Given the form of drogba and torres I would loook at playing sturridge through the middle. danny, mata and ramires have been our best players this season by far. We need to look to building the future team around these guys.

Drogba is a big personality and Chelsea board and fans love him, so he had to be given a chance. AVB cant win (lol) he plays him and doesnt score, people moan, he doesnt play him and fans get on his back and wonder why not.
    Also, maybe he looks very good in training, better than Torres?
    Lots of players are picked on their training performance\attitude

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Bad signings under Ancellotti are costing ye now. Luis and Torres, while at the time looked very good signings have proved anything but. AVB is going about things the right way imo, even if it's yet to come to fruition. This is a transitional season and I fully expect a clearout in Summer that will have ye back among the top dogs next year.

There is a base to build on with players like Mata, Sturridge and Ramires and potentially players underperforming right now like the aforementioned Torres and Luis(if he ever learns to defend) but the players who are stuck in the Mourinho system and incapable of making even a small change from that system really have to be shipped out sharpish.

Just because Luiz isnt like Vidic or JT doesnt mean he cant defend. Most peoples main problem with Luiz is his tendency to go forward with the ball and play out from the back, I'd rather a CB to carry the ball then to lumpit forward. He's only 24 and hes good better technical ability then any other CB on the planet, hes yet to be in the EPL a year, he'll come good, hell hes already good.

Torres needs games not sub appearances, they dont help him improve at all, also playing Lukaku next to him last night was stupid, Lukaku isnt like Danny, he cant play from wide and he kept the ball far too long.

Chlesea will and have to change, Mourihno is long gone and his system has stayed all this time, players that have to go after this season, Anelka, Drogba, Ferriera, Turnbull, Hilario, Kalou, Malouda, Mikel. JT, Lamps, Cole have to be rotated, they are not untouchable at this stage.

Once we finish top 4 this year and get to the CL for next year I'll be happy, I was hoping for AVB to hit the ground running but there seems to be a hell of a lot of deadwood around for AVB to chop and get rid of and build for the next few seasons and that leads us to the ££££££££ pound question, will Roman give him the time?

As long as we get CL football next year I can see AVB still having a job, if we dont then even AVB can say he failed.

Its going to be a tough period for Chelsea, a bit like a few years ago when we lost Mourihno and the title to Utd for 3 years on the spin.

We'll be back.
    G.K. wrote: »

^ This, Torres was a banker to play the next few EPL games,his form and overall play had him ahead of Drogba, but he got a stupid red card at 2-0 up to Swansea.

Drogba gets a similar red card in a worse position, 1-0 down away to QPR and cost us big time. I'd be playing Torres everyday of the week anyway, he needs games and goals and getting 15 minutes against Wolves when your 3-0 up isnt going to help anyone.

Liam O wrote: »

thats a good post, thanks :)

Problem with playing Danny through the middle is we have no option out right then. We could play Bosingwa as a right winger if we wanted to play Danny through the middle, or maybe Anelka wide right but Anelka, while a fine player slows things down and looks to come back inside and go backwards or across the pitch, I think kalous days are numbered, he didnt even get a run last night even I would suggested he start wide right last night, the diamond was useless against Liverpool.

Drogba is a big personality and Chelsea board and fans love him, so he had to be given a chance. AVB cant win (lol) he plays him and doesnt score, people moan, he doesnt play him and fans get on his back and wonder why not.
    Also, maybe he looks very good in training, better than Torres?
    Lots of players are picked on their training performance\attitude

I love Drogba, hes been one of best signings since Roman took over, he has a record to prove it but he also has gone on some horrible baron spells.

AVB has to pick one of them and stick with them. Give either of them a good run of games, maybe 4,5 and see how they do. Both strikers offer something different, Drogba can be an out ball if we need to go long and he holds it up really well, Torres want to spin in behind and i always looking for a bal to feet to make a chance.

I think our current system is better shaped for Torrres as we dont tend to put to many high balls into the box. with Mata, Meireles and Romeu we have 3 very good footballers who can see the passes Torres wants so I'd be playing him and if he flops after a good run of games draft in Drogba.

That been said they can both be moody sods.

gavredking wrote: »
    Problem with playing Danny through the middle is we have no option out right then. We could play Bosingwa as a right winger if we wanted to play Danny through the middle, or maybe Anelka wide right but Anelka, while a fine player slows things down and looks to come back inside and go backwards or across the pitch, I think kalous days are numbered, he didnt even get a run last night even I would suggested he start wide right last night, the diamond was useless against Liverpool.

I love Drogba, hes been one of best signings since Roman took over, he has a record to prove it but he also has gone on some horrible baron spells.

AVB has to pick one of them and stick with them. Give either of them a good run of games, maybe 4,5 and see how they do. Both strikers offer something different, Drogba can be an out ball if we need to go long and he holds it up really well, Torres want to spin in behind and i always looking for a bal to feet to make a chance.

I think our current system is better shaped for Torrres as we dont tend to put to many high balls into the box. with Mata, Meireles and Romeu we have 3 very good footballers who can see the passes Torres wants so I'd be playing him and if he flops after a good run of games draft in Drogba.

That been said they can both be moody sods.

Torres really should be the number 1 striker, based on his age and experience (younger than Drogba, older than Danny)
    AVB maybe needs an arm around his shoulder and say, you are my No1 and will start the next 6 games or so

Torres really should be the number 1 striker, based on his age and experience (younger than Drogba, older than Danny)
    AVB maybe needs an arm around his shoulder and say, you are my No1 and will start the next 6 games or so

I agree, i'd play Torres and try gie him confidence but its hard to tell what your going to get from him.

In the article, AVB says he has to come back like Drogba, that to me says he ahs to come back to form. Torres works better in a 4-3-3 then when he has a guy playing next to him.

Also, I'd rather bring on Drogba for 20mins then Torres as with Drogba we could go long and direct for the last few mins of a game. It'll be interesting to see what AVB does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

So against Newcastle I'd like to see:

Cech
    Bosingwa--Ivanovic--Terry--Cole
    Romeu

Ramires
    Meireles----
    Sturridge
    Mata
    Torres

The formation is difficult to get right to allow Mata that free role where he would cause the most damage, but the above is the closest I'd go with personally.
    Simply have to go for it against Newcastle. Lampard, Mikel, Anelka, Drogba and Malouda should not be started in my opinion.

Panthro wrote: »

Cech
    Romeu

Ramires
    Meireles----
    Sturridge
    Mata
    Torres

The formation is difficult to get right to allow Mata that free role where he would cause the most damage, but the above is the closest I'd go with personally.
    Simply have to go for it against Newcastle. Lampard, Mikel, Anelka, Drogba and Malouda should not be started in my opinion.

Anything other than that team is a mistake IMO, lampard, malouda are too slow and drogba is not in the greatest of form. AVB changes the team too much from game to game, we need a stable team if we are to get form going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »

Cech
    Romeu

Ramires
    Meireles----
    Sturridge
    Mata
    Torres

Same team as I would pick but with a subtle change.

I'd go and line up as :

Cech
    Romeu
    Meireles----
    Ramires
    Mata
    Sturridge
    Torres

It would allow us to free up Mata and with Danny and Ramires out wide they would offer bundles of energy and drive, both would come in off the wing and allow the FB's to bomb ob and with Romeu and Meireles as 2 CM's not DM's we could spring attacks from the centre with excellent passing.

Doubt we'll see it though. :(

Veles wrote: »
    Will we see a massive clear out of Mourinho's old guard in the summer lads?

Could even happen in January if AVB is allowed his way, Anelka and Kalou look like prime suspects to be shipped out. But by the summer you can expect a few new faces and a lot of the older players gone. It will be sad to say goodbye to peolpe like Nico and Drogba but their time is up if we want to go forward and progress unfortunatly.

What do you think on this view of our high line and that the problems come from further up the park ?

183197.png

What do you think on this view of our high line and that the problems come from further up the park ?

I'd tend to agree, its about 75% the midfields fault, if the 5 in there track and hurry and pressure the opposition then they wont have the chance to turn, and split the defence with a ball but the defence has to accept that yes its playing a high line but sometimes a team will break through midfield and get at them and they should be able to deal with it also.

Our midfield, when it has Lamps and Mikel in it cant get close to people quickly enough as the lads are slow.

AVB and the coaching staff have to drill and prepare the lads better, some teams will thrive against our high line, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and probably City, Liverpool played counter atatck, which they do very well and realised that one or two balls into the channels would have Maxi and Bellamy in a foot race and both these guys are quick, hence how they scored there first, the 2nd was terrible marking though, I dont know who was meant to be picking up Kelly, I assume it was meant to be Lukaku, as Drogba usually comes back and marks one of the opposing CB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

villasboas.jpg

Who is the girl in the front row here ?

I always see her at games ...

gavredking wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree, its about 75% the midfields fault, if the 5 in there track and hurry and pressure the opposition then they wont have the chance to turn, and split the defence with a ball but the defence has to accept that yes its playing a high line but sometimes a team will break through midfield and get at them and they should be able to deal with it also.

Our midfield, when it has Lamps and Mikel in it cant get close to people quickly enough as the lads are slow.

AVB and the coaching staff have to drill and prepare the lads better, some teams will thrive against our high line, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and probably City, Liverpool played counter atatck, which they do very well and realised that one or two balls into the channels would have Maxi and Bellamy in a foot race and both these guys are quick, hence how they scored there first, the 2nd was terrible marking though, I dont know who was meant to be picking up Kelly, I assume it was meant to be Lukaku, as Drogba usually comes back and marks one of the opposing CB's.

Totally agree about the midfield, although faster defenders would be nice.
    thast why we did better against wolves, we had fast mobile players in there

Ramires, Romeu and Meirles.

Once you put Lamps and Mikel in, you slow the whole thing down

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    villasboas.jpg

yeah, funny that, seeing as she is employed as a Physio :D

http://famouscfc.com/2011/11/16/eva-carneiro-she-may-deserves-sit-on-bench/?mobile=1

the_monkey wrote: »

Thats our first team doctor, Eva Carneiro. Shes worked with England ladies before. shes been with us a few years now, think its since 2008/9 but she was working with the reserves and academy players back then. Shes a good looking woman to booth. :pac:

Who wouldnt want to be injured. :P
    Totally agree about the midfield, although faster defenders would be nice.
    thast why we did better against wolves, we had fast mobile players in there

Ramires, Romeu and Meirles.

Once you put Lamps and Mikel in, you slow the whole thing down

Well we have Bosingwa and Cole and Luiz, they would be far and away our quickest defenders but its easy to by pass both Bos and Cole as a quick ball will kill them as they are usually bombing on.

It has to start with midfield though and playing Ramires, Meireles and Romeu is simply the only way forward IMO, good mixture of pace, passing ability and stamina, all 3 bring something to the table that Lamps, Malouda, Mikel cant, it will be however, impossible to replace Lamps goals from CM. :(

yeah, funny that, seeing as she is employed as a Physio girl to get the lads going. :D

http://famouscfc.com/2011/11/16/eva-carneiro-she-may-deserves-sit-on-bench/?mobile=1

Fixed that for ya. :pac:

Mata putting the "moves" on her. :pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO0nSJGJYRyjxPBD_C3WC8wjsa2K_2wIZfUS8a-QQyM3nuEd2A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OK cheers, was wondering cos she looks more like a fan the way she is dressed...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement