Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RichT wrote: »
    Can't see The Drog being up for this kinda thing.......

:eek:

No one would be up for that to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

RichT wrote: »
    Can't see The Drog being up for this kinda thing.......

We won the second leg 7-0 or 7-1 then. Well we trounced them anyway and the legend Vialli got a hatrick iirc.

Zenit and CSKA would be tough away games but over two legs I think we would beat them.

Just for LOLz lads.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzhNj3SQiEb0DxC_BaQNWCZYYAKZwsVL5a6kC1pfZiWV2XXLmpeQ

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Johner wrote: »
    We won the second leg 7-0 or 7-1 then. Well we trounced them anyway and the legend Vialli got a hatrick iirc.

Zenit and CSKA would be tough away games but over two legs I think we would beat them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/15233.stm

gavredking wrote: »
    Just for LOLz lads.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzhNj3SQiEb0DxC_BaQNWCZYYAKZwsVL5a6kC1pfZiWV2XXLmpeQ

jesssus, could so easily have been us! :eek:

Pray thanks to the Drog!

jesssus, could so easily have been us! :eek:

Pray thanks to the Drog!

....and Cech for making a world class save from Albelda to keep us 1-0 up.

Also for making 2 more great saves to keep another clean sheet.

:)

Pulling out the x-mas decorations from the attic and I found my first Chelsea jersey.

From all the way back in '92 when i was a fresh faced 7 year old, I give you :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7AWKHQCkALGWiuKQ4AiZUIIlZmM2EYyhLaBnOuGV31nEx0K43

* not this actual one but ya know what I mean.

gavredking wrote: »
    Pulling out the x-mas decorations from the attic and I found my first Chelsea jersey.

From all the way back in '92 when i was a fresh faced 7 year old, I give you :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7AWKHQCkALGWiuKQ4AiZUIIlZmM2EYyhLaBnOuGV31nEx0K43

* not this actual one but ya know what I mean.

You look a bit of a dummy in that one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Yesterday became proud owner of autograophed John Terry boots ... need to have these mounted/framed. Anyone used any Irish company for this?

Yesterday became proud owner of autograophed John Terry boots ... need to have these mounted/framed. Anyone used any Irish company for this?

Wow, nice catch.
    Is there a story of how you got them?

best I can offer is Zola and Dessies autograph on an empty Kodak film box

and a few programmes from the 70's and 80's

• Advertisement

Nice. :)

Only thing of note that I have is a Carvalho autograph from 2008, got to find that now actually.

I'm well chuffed Sgt - I wrote him a letter of support 4-5 weeks ago when the media witch-hunt was at its peak. He must have liked it! Very sweet of the big man.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm well chuffed Sgt - I wrote him a letter of support 4-5 weeks ago when the media witch-hunt was at its peak. He must have liked it! Very sweet of the big man.:)

Well he has gone RIGHT up in my estimations, fair play to him for that.

I bet you werent expecting a pair of boots in return. :)

Fairplay to him, ya dont hear stories like this about professionals very often.

Now, anyone know Torres's address, think we could send him a picture of a Goal and draw diagrams how to put a ball in that said goal. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jesus fair play to both of ya's.Really nice of him :).Did ya have P.S I WANT BOOTS at the end of it ? :P

Funnily enough, a lot of Man U and Pool fans at work yesterday evening admitted to being quite impressed with his gesture. I of course as his biggest fan feel quite vindicated! (I write a good letter mind!). I was on a roll at the time. I sumbitted complaint vis the press complaints commission as well!

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Well he has gone RIGHT up in my estimations, fair play to him for that.

Plus 1000

From Essien's blog : http://blogs.chelseafc.com/?p=1425

Hello all,
    December is upon us and Christmas is around the corner. I wanted to blog about the festivities but I decided to stick to my promise and post some of your comments about why there have been crazy scorelines in the Barclays Premier League this season.

I had over 250 comments and I must admit I was surprised by the reaction and by how different people see football games. By that I mean 10 people can watch one game and they will all have different opinions about the game.

I have been attending Chelsea home games recently and have been sitting among the fans. Everyone has been brilliant and thanks for all the well wishes but I can’t help but notice how intense it can get when things are not going well on the pitch. I love the passion in the stands and how much we all want Chelsea to do well.

I have also noticed from comments I hear before, during and after games that everyone has their own opinion about football and below you will find some of the opinions about why there have been crazy scorelines this season…

Richard D4 Chelsea – It’s a discipline problem

I can’t help but think with these recent huge scorelines that the midfield and defence of each team are not as tightly disciplined to defend and protect their own goal like seasons before. It seems like it’s all been about scoring one more than the other with high defending lines, high pressing, and utilising a dominant percentage of possession effectively, trying to emulate some of Barcelona’s style of play.
    After their dominance domestically and in Europe, there are not many reasons to say why big teams shouldn’t try and match them for entertainment value for the fans and to gain overall improvements from the physical, mental and technical sides of the game for the players. I’m going to use Chelsea’s past and present tactics as an example of why there’s been huge scorelines this season.

Simon blames it on superior teams

Man United and Man City smashed eight and five past Arsenal and Tottenham respectively because they were superior at the time. Then the ultimate Manchester clash where City ran out 1-6 winners away from home, what a game!!! City played better and the red card was decisive on the day as City firmly took control with United committing blunders and giving up totally.
    With the Chelsea – Arsenal game it breaks my heart to admit we had a bright start but lost focus, switched off and committed blunders. Overall, over 90 minutes, Chelsea were by far the better side, but we have to finish off games when we take the lead rather than be too cautious in my view.

Martin thinks it’s a defensive problem

I think it is because the top teams in the EPL this season aren’t paying much attention to their defences and are not trying to keep clean sheets. Instead they are trying to attack and create and score as many goals as they can. From a neutral’s perspective, it is very entertaining but for us fans it’s like a lottery, it’s 50-50, and nail biting stuff. You have no idea who’s going to win and it’s all about finishing your chances off. It’s very much whoever can score the most goals wins.

JackG thinks it’s a change from last season

TACTICS – last year Chelsea played a more balanced game, as did United, and City were boring and defensive. This year it seems like it’s changed a lot – AVB has clearly brought in a more attacking system, hence why we’ve conceded a lot more goals, Mancini’s City are unrecognisable from last year, United have so much strength in attack and now perhaps a slightly weaker defence, and Arsenal have never played a tight game under Wenger. Great as a neutral, but horrible for a fan.

Asa5Chelsea thinks its due to strict refereeing

I think that the crazy results could be due to stricter refereeing. There have been quite a few more bookings and red cards (especially for Chelsea) this year so far and I wonder if that has given the attacking players a psychological advantage over the defending ones because they think they may be able to get a free kick/penalty or persuade the referee to give out a card?
    As a midfielder where you are involved in attacking and defending, maybe you are better suited to judge this. I do think that all the top clubs are beginning to play with more flair and seem to focus more on attack. Either way, it’s great for us fans!

Joshua Opeku reckons it’s how the modern day game goes

I personally don’t have a problem with the scorelines because this is modern soccer and that is how I think it should be. The big teams cannot rely on past glory to win matches. My only concern is that my dear team Chelsea are struggling and I am very sad as I write this.

Aakorner thinks the pace in the EPL is the cause

I’d tend to think that the pace of play in the Premier League has just got so high that it’s causing teams to spring counter-attacks so quickly and so you get so many goals. It’s really becoming end-to-end I think. Teams set out these days quite similarly too with one or two holding midfielders, two wide men and one up top. The goals tend to go in when one team loses possession up top and attackers are released.

Amidtemi said its part of the show

It is all part of the show. Football is about entertainment. It’s not really surprising to me. How are the mighty fallen and long may it continue.

Apart from the above, a lot of people also left comments asking me what my thoughts on the crazy scorelines were. About 20 people threw the question back at me and asked why I think there have been crazy scorelines.
    My answer: ‘What do I know – I am only a player!’
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
    Ess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Funnily enough, a lot of Man U and Pool fans at work yesterday evening admitted to being quite impressed with his gesture. I of course as his biggest fan feel quite vindicated! (I write a good letter mind!). I was on a roll at the time. I sumbitted complaint vis the press complaints commission as well!

Anychance of posting this letter ? To give some ideas :d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nice !!! I don't remember this, I didn't start supporting CFC untill around 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Also, anyone know a good place to get ALL the stats on every match CFC
    have ever played ? I remember seeing something on sale on the site a few years back ..

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That's class chelseavera, you must have been absolutely delighted then they arrived!:)
    How did you go about finding his address?!
    @ monkey, best I can find is this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

AVB has just bought himself the rest of the season at least. Doing a number on Man City will instill that bit of fear in other opposition that has been ebbing recently and secure the platform for a top four finish. Second has to be a real prospect as I think Man U are in serious decline. I wouldn't get too cocky, but there should be nothing to fear.

AVB should stick with his blueprint for changing the team, but be prepared to go back to Mourihno-Chelsea basics as the need arises.

The next question. What to do with Torres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

According to L'Equipe, Anelka has already signed a 2 year pre contract with Chinese team Shanghai Shenshu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Blatter wrote: »
    According to L'Equipe, Anelka has already signed a 2 year pre contract with Chinese team Shanghai Shenshu.
    Rumours that he turned down the opportunity to talk to Everton

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Rumours that he turned down the opportunity to talk to Everton

Apparently he'll be on €10.5m a year in China, Everton are hardly in a position to offer him that now are they?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Apparently he'll be on €10.5m a year in China, Everton are hardly in a position to offer him that now are they?:D
    Jen Chang is disputing those figures but it is China so you never know.

Something is obviously bringing him over there.
    Usually one last payday and good luck to him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That Chinese league is insane, some relatively unknown Argentien player wa put on wages that only Messi and Ronaldo can better there recently.

amiable wrote: »
    Jen Chang is disputing those figures but it is China so you never know.

Something is obviously bringing him over there.
    Usually one last payday and good luck to him:)

I doubt it's the food that's attracting him over there:p

If it's not that amount you can be fairly sure It'll be a handsome figure.

flahavaj wrote: »
    That Chinese league is insane, some relatively unknown Argentien player wa put on wages that only Messi and Ronaldo can better there recently.

The new Russia then?

Insanity.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    That's class chelseavera, you must have been absolutely delighted then they arrived!:)
    How did you go about finding his address?!
    @ monkey, best I can find is this.
    Just sent it to Stamford Bridge address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The new Russia then?

Insanity.

Dario Conca. Twas in the Summer actually, I only read about it today.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/868275-dario-conca-joins-worlds-highest-paid-players-list-following-transfer-to-china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anelka has been a great signing for us, wish him all the best with the rest of his career. If he get that sort of money in China then good luck to him. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

CareFreeChronic Grieving Smurf
    Ramires vs Valencia: Cheetah Meets Its Prey | A National Geographic analysis | Cheetah meets its prey

All from the Mail, so make of them what you want.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2071850/Arsenal-join-Juventus-race-Chelseas-Alex.html

Alex to Arsenal???

Arsenal are lining up a shock cut-price move for Chelsea outcast Alex as Arsene Wenger looks to strengthen his central defence next month.

Alex has been transfer-listed by Andre Villas-Boas after falling out-of-favour at Stamford Bridge and has been targeted by Juventus.

Wenger is a long-term admirer of the 29-year-old and made two inquiries for Alex in the summer but was rebuffed both times.

However, Arsenal could have more luck in January given his current transfer status.

With Per Mertesacker still trying to adapt to the pace of Premier League football, Wenger is keen on adding more top-flight experience to his back-line.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is also interested but his first choice remains Bolton’s Gary Cahill who is also wanted by Chelsea to replace Alex.

In another twist, Arsenal maintain an interest in Cahill also but will be wary of getting involved in another auction with the player out of contract in the summer.

Arsenal bid £7million for Cahill in the summer but their offer was labelled 'derisory' by Owen Coyle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2071984/Nicolas-Anelka-set-175-000-week-deal-Shanghai-Shenhua.html

And Anelka........

Nicolas Anelka is expected to confirm he is signing a two-year deal with Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.

The Chelsea striker is understood to have agreed a deal worth a whopping £175,000 a week to head east in the January transfer window.

West Ham had hoped to take the 32-year-old on loan for the rest of the season but could not match the financial muscle of the ambitious Chinese side.

AC Milan and Tottenham had also enquired about Anelka, while three Major League Soccer teams - New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union and Montreal Impact - were also disappointed.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas last week gave his blessing to Anelka's departure ahead of an overhaul at Stamford Bridge.

The rise of the Chinese league was underlined earlier this year when Guangzhou Evergrande signed Dario Conca from Brazilian side Fluminense on a huge contract.

Argentine forward Conca, who is little known outside of South America, signed a deal worth about £130,000 a week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2071956/Juan-Mata-hails-great-friend-David-Silva.html

Mata talking about Silva and City

David Silva and Juan Mata will put their friendship on ice for 90 minutes on Monday night as two of the most lethal attacking threats in the Barclays Premier League go head-to-head.

Silva's table-topping Manchester City travel to Stamford Bridge to tackle Chelsea, who have hit a patch of form but are still 10 points off the title pace.

City must bounce back from the disappointment of their Champions League elimination in midweek but their league form has been electric.
    Roberto Mancini's men have dropped just four points all season and they trounced closest rivals Manchester United 6-1 at Old Trafford.

Silva tops the Premier League assists table with eight and he has scored four goals.

'He's my friend. He's doing very well, playing for Man City and I will change my shirt with him,' Mata said. 'This season has been very, very good for him because he's showing his level.'

Mata has enjoyed an impressive debut season for Chelsea, carving out seven assists and three goals - leading to online debates about which Spaniard is the better player.

Chelsea head into the game with their tails up after successive 3-0 victories, away at Newcastle in the Premiership and then at home against Valencia in the Champions League.

Victory would propel Chelsea back into the title race - but defeat would see them slip 13 points off the blow.

'I'm just thinking of winning,' said Mata. 'Man City are having a great Premier League. There are so many weeks until the Premier League finishes. We will keep going every week to win and to be closest to the leader.'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

thebison wrote: »
    Genuis

Agreed, £23.5 million for him in relative terms was a bargain. Hes a creative player we've been missing for a few years now and hes playing some excellent football and hes only going to get better.

Never need an excuse to post this, but here ya go...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7368034/Villas-Boas-sets-celebration-rule

Bizarre if true. The fact its quoted from the Sun makes me suspicious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Bizarre if true.

Not really. He wants players to see that the bench is celebrating as well, what bizarre about that?

Masked Man wrote: »
    Not really. He wants players to see that the bench is celebrating as well, what bizarre about that?

Its extremely bizarre IMO. Whats it in aid of? I doubt you'd have Jose, Ferguson, Dalglish, Wenger etc setting rules on acknowledging them and the dugout after a goal. What is it supposed to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Its extremely bizarre IMO. Whats it in aid of? I doubt you'd have Jose, Ferguson, Dalglish, Wenger etc setting rules on acknowledging them and the dugout after a goal. What is it supposed to achieve?

He wants them to look over at the bench, how is that bizarre. He doesn't want them to do anything except look over. You really do see a negative in every little thing don't you.

He actually said "if" the players look over, the bench would be celebrating. Some journalists from certain papers are going to have a bee in their bonnet regarding AVB from now on, after his comments mid week. Funny how the Sun have found an insider this week.......

He actually said "if" the players look over, the bench would be celebrating. Some journalists from certain papers are going to have a bee in their bonnet regarding AVB from now on, after his comments mid week. Funny how the Sun have found an insider this week.......

AVB has to get over the media attention, their will always be a spotlight on you in England when results are poor, especially when you are Chelsea manager. He is doing to much complaining in my view, insinuating that their is some sort of witch hunt going on is doing nobody any favors.

As i said i had my doubts about how true that link i gave was, setting rules on celebrations and "ordering" players to include him and the dugout in goal celebrations is ludicrous.

AVB has to get over the media attention, their will always be a spotlight on you in England when results are poor, especially when you are Chelsea manager. He is doing to much complaining in my view, insinuating that their is some sort of witch hunt going on is doing nobody any favors.

As i said i had my doubts about how true that link i gave was, setting rules on celebrations and "ordering" players to include him and the dugout in goal celebrations is ludicrous.

Looks to me like he is doing exactly what Jose did. The world vs Chelsea. I recall it working quite well. AVB is no fool.

Looks to me like he is doing exactly what Jose did. The world vs Chelsea. I recall it working quite well. AVB is no fool.

I wonder will he get success out of it like Jose did...remains to be seen i suppose.

The us against them thing will only work if the manager in question is able to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal, it doesn't appear as if AVB is able to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jesus AVB is barely in the door, give him a chance will you.
    Torres aside, Is he not getting the best out of Danny, Ramires or Romeu no?
    I'd say they would beg to differ.

Panthro wrote: »
    Jesus AVB is barely in the door, give him a chance will you.
    Torres aside, Is he not getting the best out of Danny, Ramires or Romeu no?
    I'd say they would beg to differ.

He is not getting the best out of our defenders.

We have been dire at the back under AVB. He implements his style on players who cant play it, Romeu has only been introduced to the first team recently, he was playing Mikel before him.

IMO if he sure'd us up defensively and didn't play the high line we would be much better off in the league than we are now. We have good solid defenders, the system they played in was the problem not them.

He is not getting the best out of our defenders.

We have been dire at the back under AVB. He implements his style on players who cant play it, Romeu has only been introduced to the first team recently, he was playing Mikel before him.

IMO if he sure'd us up defensively and didn't play the high line we would be much better off in the league than we are now. We have good solid defenders, the system they played in was the problem not them.

Eh in case you haven't been watching, we haven't played a high line in the last 2 games. Scored 6 conceded 0. Do you even watch us play?

Eh in case you haven't been watching, we haven't played a high line in the last 2 games. Scored 6 conceded 0. Do you even watch us play?

We have played a high line the majority of this season mate.

In fairness it took AVB long enough to change things, as in Romeu for Mikel loosing the high line and dropping Lamps to the bench.

Our defense has been poor all season, a better Valencia could of easily scored and beaten us, we were also very lucky against Newcastle. Its a miracle we didn't concede actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

We have played a high line the majority of this season mate.

In fairness it took AVB long enough to change things, as in Romeu for Mikel loosing the high line and dropping Lamps to the bench.

Our defense has been poor all season, a better Valencia could of easily scored and beaten us, we were also very lucky against Newcastle. Its a miracle we didn't concede actually.

What, we were excellent against Valencia and yes it was a miracle newcastle didn't score against us but it was also a miracle we didn't score at least 2 more ourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement