Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Fromthe Telegraph : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8946246/Frank-Lampard-the-hero-at-Stamford-Bridge-as-Chelsea-subject-Manchester-City-to-first-defeat-of-the-season.html

He took responsibility for the late penalty, took the ball and drove it with unadulterated venom into the back of Manchester City’s net, bringing Chelsea a momentous victory and reviving their title ambitions.

Rarely has the Bridge sung a player’s name more passionately in recent years. They knew what this goal meant to Lampard and what he means to them.

Some people keep writing Lampard off but he keeps rewriting the script. He was discarded by England but soon returned as captain. He was deemed surplus to Andre Villas-Boas’s requirements, seemingly one of the thirtysomething brigade being guided towards retirement or pastures new. People are foolish to underestimate Lampard, such a driven individual with much more to offer.

What happened in the 82nd minute could have turned Chelsea’s league season around, let alone Lampard’s. It had looked as if City would hold on for a point, but the loss of Gaël Clichy to a deserved red card after 57 minutes ultimately proved too much. Invited on, Chelsea attacked with growing gusto and when Joleon Lescott inexplicably handled a shot from the outstanding Daniel Sturridge, Lampard had his date with destiny. Joe Hart had a date with the back of the net.

This was pure Lampard, pouring all his frustration at being again left on the bench into a constructive act for his club. He could have sulked, could have looked to link himself to another club but Lampard got his head down, remained the true professional, and did himself and his club proud.

The Bridge rocked as it has rarely rocked before this season. From all around the ground came song after song, asking City who they were and what their plans were for Thursday nights, as the visitors slumped to their first defeat in the league since May 7 at Goodison Park. At the final whistle, the speakers almost shook off their hinges to “One Step Beyond”.
    This was Madness was all right. This was Premier League football at its dramatic best, a game teeming with movement, incident, enterprise and the obligatory refereeing controversy. There was even noises afterwards: tempers in the tunnel capturing the tempest outside.

If occasions played in a downpour can be sulphurous, this had been one of them, the fireworks begun inevitably by Mario Balotelli. For the man who likes a late night, Balotelli had started early, going to town on Chelsea’s initially wretched defence as City dominated the opening half-hour.

Sergio Agüero, all elegant trickery, made Balotelli’s goal, cutting in from the right with a marvellous run brimming with technique and threat. John Terry tried to keep close but failed, allowing Agüero to slip the ball brilliantly past Branislav Ivanovic for Balotelli.

The striker, justifying his selection ahead of Edin Dzeko, relished the opportunity, enjoying this one on one with Petr Cech. He glided wide, leaving Cech stranded, before calmly rolling the ball into the net. The angle was relatively tight but no problem for Balotelli. Chelsea’s back-pedalling defenders had no chance. Those close to the goalmouth reported a cup of tea thrown at Balotelli.

After the Typhoo, the typhoon. As the rain thundered down, soaking Villas-Boas’s private detective’s mac, making the ball skim across the surface like an ice-puck, City just tore into Chelsea for half an hour. Agüero was a real spinning top, putting Terry and company in a total spin. The Argentine held off Jose Bosingwa effortlessly but shot just wide.

Then Balotelli came calling again, slipping a super little pass across the area to David Silva. The Spaniard darted into the box, his progress stopped by Bosingwa’s illegal challenge. Mark Clattenburg waved to Silva to get up but took no further action. It was either a penalty or a caution for simulation. City’s case appeared strong. Big moment.

Spurred on by their fans, Chelsea began to come alive. Sturridge, looking every inch an England international, led the comeback, creating a chance for Didier Drogba, who was denied when Hart stretched out a hand to save. Sturridge was in the mood, brilliantly fashioning Chelsea’s equaliser. Controlling Terry’s driven pass, Sturridge dribbled past the hapless Clichy before crossing for Raul Meireles to score from close range.

Against the first-half run of play, Chelsea were level and doubts began to seep into the visitors’ minds. Juan Mata was starting to cause problems, twisting City markers this way and that. Sturridge was running at Clichy, who earned his first yellow for a foul on the England attacker. City were in a strange mood, Yaya Touré kicking out at Ramires and Vincent Kompany clattering Mata. Then Clichy, naivety personified, caught Ramires and had to walk.

Chelsea sensed a chance, knowing that their title hopes really required all three points. With 18 minutes left, Meireles was removed for Lampard, who was greeted rapturously by the Chelsea faithful. In truth, Meireles had hardly done badly, even scoring, but Lampard is still a favoured son around these parts, even if not in the manager’s office.

City’s 10 men were sitting deep, absorbing punishment. Roberto Mancini removed Agüero and then Silva, sending on two defensive types, Kolo Touré and Nigel de Jong. City were now 4-3-1-1, with Yaya Touré supporting the front-running Balotelli.

Still Chelsea flooded forward, willed on by their clamorous crowd.And then came that sweetest of moments for Lampard. Mancini was incensed, arguing with fourth official Mark Halsey, but City could really have no complaints. Clichy had cost them. So had Lescott.

The Bridge resounded to “super Chelsea”. This was a super comeback, a sign of Chelsea’s resilience, a reminder that the title race is far from a two-horse chase. And it was a reminder of Lampard’s enduring class.

Ratings for the game : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8952361/Chelsea-v-Manchester-City-player-ratings.html

Some great reporting here :

Branislav Ivanovic
    Preferred to David Luiz, but lack of game time at centre-half perhaps contributed to his sluggish start. Out of position when the ball was played to Balotelli for the goal, and then failed to prevent Balotelli from rounding the keeper. 5

Preferred or playing because Luiz was suspended? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Chelsea should fine selfish Lampard

Sometimes the result doesn't tell the whole story.

Manchester City lost a Premier League game for the first time this season, but have every reason to feel confident of lifting the title.

They can take heart from their performance in last night's 2-1 defeat at Chelsea, particularly in an excellent first half.

That's not to say they merited a win - more often than not in football you get what you deserve, and what they got was nothing.

Yes they should have had a penalty, but otherwise City's wounds were self-inflicted, through a failure to press home their early advantage and a brainless sending-off.

So they played well and lost. Big deal. It happens.

Despite the mini-blip that has seen them tumble out of the Champions League and have their Premier League lead cut to two points, City look in fine shape.

As for Chelsea; they vanquished the unbeaten league leaders, eased the pressure on their manager and brought a telling contribution from Frank Lampard.

Problem is, that contribution should never have happened.

Having missed his previous two penalties, Lampard slammed a powerful shot down the middle eight minutes from time.

The Englishman conversed at length with Juan Mata before the kick, and after the game Villas-Boas confirmed why.

"We assigned Mata to take it," he said. "But Frank took the ball off him and he scored."
    For a man of Villas-Boas's attention to detail, it seems almost inconceivable that there should be confusion over who takes penalties.

Anyone who has played Football Manager knows you just have to write a priority order of takers, and the guy who is highest on the list takes the penalty.

Clearly, Villas-Boas changed the order before yesterday's game, putting Mata ahead of Lampard.

Yes Lampard scored, but to disobey his manager's wishes amounts to a serious breach of discipline, and does nothing to dispel the notion that Chelsea's senior players wield too much power.

Fulham's Patjim Kasami was fined for committing the same offence in the Carling Cup earlier this season, snatching a penalty designated for Orlando Sa.

Why should Lampard be exempt from the same punishment? The outcome is irrelevant - he either put his own desire for glory and redemption ahead of the manager's instructions, or simply thought he knew best. That is unacceptable.

Otherwise, Chelsea's performance was one of defiant resistance - a fading power holding off the coming force.

It was impressive stuff, but nothing to suggest they can stay with City over the long haul.

When Yaya Toure departs for the Africa Cup of Nations, City can replace him with Nigel De Jong or Samir Nasri.

Conversely, Didier Drogba's rumbustuous performance up front, albeit without scoring, made you wonder how Chelsea will cope without the Ivorian in January.

Chelsea are in the incredibly strange situation of being short of strikers despite spending £65 million on two of them in the last year.

Granted, Romelu Lukaku is one for the future. But he has seen just 47 minutes of Premier League action in four months, hardly suggesting he is ready to step into a Drogba-shaped breach.

And what of Fernando Torres? The striker's quest for form and confidence goes on, some 20 months after injury ended his 2009/10 campaign with Liverpool - following a run of nine goals in seven games.

The Spaniard's woes are well known, but how long can a footballer play badly before we are forced to adjust our assessment of him permanently?
    I am still convinced that Torres will come good eventually. But with each unhappy game, the reasons for that conviction become ever vaguer; based in faith rather than fact.

Having looked like he might turn the corner in autumn, Torres has now put together a nine-game barren streak and is a fully-fledged bit-part player.

Did you think, at any point last night, that Chelsea might bring him on as a substitute? Even against 10 men? Of course not - the game was too important for that. It was a time to back the proven performers.

Torres might get a start against Wigan on Saturday - Chelsea's umpteenth attempt to spark him into life with a game against Premier League cannon fodder.

Chelsea might have won the battle last night, but they still look destined to lose the season-long war against City.

From the article :
    Anyone who has played Football Manager knows you just have to write a priority order of takers, and the guy who is highest on the list takes the penalty.

:rolleyes:

What a great analogy.

I couldnt care less if Mata or Lamps or Cech took the peno as long as it went in and it did. Worse case scenario for Lamps is AVB will talk to him about it, no more no less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Lamps is not too happy .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16155208.stm
    Chelsea's Frank Lampard admits confusion at substitute role
    Page last updated at
    09:45 GMT, Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Lampard, a second-half substitute, scored Chelsea's winner against City
    Frank Lampard says he cannot understand why he is being left out of Chelsea's starting line-up and claims boss Andre Villas-Boas has not explained why.
    The midfielder, 33, came off the bench to score Chelsea's winner in their 2-1 win over Manchester City on Monday.
    "I want to play, simple as that," Lampard told BBC Sport. "I'm as fit as I've ever been. I've been in a good run of form and now I've not been playing.
    "I haven't spoken [to Villas-Boas] so I don't know [why], simple as that."
    City had taken the lead early on through Mario Balotelli before Raul Meireles levelled before half-time.
    Lampard was introduced by Villas-Boas on 73 minutes and scored Chelsea's 82nd-minute winner from the penalty spot.
    He had been left out of Chelsea's first team for the second successive match, but had started in five of the Blues' six games before that.
    FIRST-TEAM OPPORTUNITIES
    In Chelsea's 24 games this season, Frank Lampard has started 16 times. He has come on from the bench in five games and been an unused substitute three times.
    He added: "I want to play. If I didn't, there wouldn't be any point turning up, so maybe there's a bit of frustration because of that.
    "I just want to play and I like to play well. I'm always at my best when I'm playing regularly. I know I've got a lot to give.
    "I just want to be on the pitch and let the football do the talking."
    Lampard's winner at City ensured that Chelsea moved up to third place and are seven points behind Roberto Mancini's Premier League leaders.
    Chelsea trail second-placed Manchester United by five points and are ahead of Tottenham on goal difference, although Harry Redknapp's team have a game in hand.

I hope this doesn't affect his form/dressing room atmos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

After a poor first half we really did come back strong and deserved the win.

Again the high line cost us a goal, Ivanovich got left exposed and didn't have the pace to get back, he was also very lucky not to give away a penalty, Mario decides to go down in that situation and its a penalty and a red card.

Aguero decides to go far corner with that shot and its more than likely a goal. A penalty could of easily been given for the foul on Silva, he did dive IMO but nevertheless their was contact and it could of easily been given. It was great play by Danny to set up Meireles, it came from nothing really and we were by far playing second fiddle to City at the time.

Second half was different, we defended deeper and were far more solid.

Lampard is the man you want taking a penalty in a big game, great decision by AVB to bring him on for Meireles, he was walking a tight rope and was well on the verge of getting a second yellow. Clichy deserved to go, they were to bookable offences. Yaya Toure was also walking a fine line.

Our win was no doubt helped by Mancini's negative play, Silva should never of been taken off, he is there best player, i mean can you imagine Ferguson taking off Rooney in a big game? No, shocking decision and highly negative.

A big win that we needed and a big step towards finishing third, although Spurs away will be extremely tough, if we can win and then go on a run id be extremely confident of us taking third.

After a poor first half we really did come back strong and deserved the win.

Again the high line cost us a goal, Ivanovich got left exposed and didn't have the pace to get back, he was also very lucky not to give away a penalty, Mario decides to go down in that situation and its a penalty and a red card.

Aguero decides to go far corner with that shot and its more than likely a goal. A penalty could of easily been given for the foul on Silva, he did dive IMO but nevertheless their was contact and it could of easily been given. It was great play by Danny to set up Meireles, it came from nothing really and we were by far playing second fiddle to City at the time.

Second half was different, we defended deeper and were far more solid.

Lampard is the man you want taking a penalty in a big game, great decision by AVB to bring him on for Meireles, he was walking a tight rope and was well on the verge of getting a second yellow. Clichy deserved to go, they were to bookable offences. Yaya Toure was also walking a fine line.

Our win was no doubt helped by Mancini's negative play, Silva should never of been taken off, he is there best player, i mean can you imagine Ferguson taking off Rooney in a big game? No, shocking decision and highly negative.

A big win that we needed and a big step towards finishing third, although Spurs away will be extremely tough, if we can win and then go on a run id be extremely confident of us taking third.

hopefully we can go on and win the next few games. This is a huge boost for the squad and AVB too, delighted for him.

On another note, does anyone know if Lamps got booked for celebrating inthe crowd last night? Didnt see any cards been brandished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

gavredking wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone know if Lamps got booked for celebrating inthe crowd last night? Didnt see any cards been brandished.

Why would he be booked ? was he goading City fans ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Missed last night's game... Gutted. Fell asleep at 5pm, having only gotten home at 4pm following a 19-hour work shift. Was knackered. Set like 4 alarms to wake me up at 7:45, but none of them shifted me. Woke up at 5:30am today, and first thing I did (after swearing a lot at those "useless f*cking, c*cksucking, motherf*cking, b*sterding, c*nting alarms") was check the score of the game... Been in a good mood all day thanks to that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jcf wrote: »
    Lamps is not too happy .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16155208.stm

I hope this doesn't affect his form/dressing room atmos..

I notice the report doesnt mention Lampard when he said "Although I know Im now 33 and wont have as many chances as I used to "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Youth Cup starts tomorrow! against Doncaster on Chelsea TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Just when we thought he was ours........

Five months ago, Oriol Romeu was nothing but a slim prospect.
    Even amongst the FC Barcelona support, only the most dedicated of followers would have already been aware of the talented midfielder. For the most part, he was anonymous amongst a sea of bigger names in Catalunya.
    Within his then team, Barça B, he was beneath the likes of Jonathan Soriano or Martin Montoya in the list of players expected to break through into stardom this year. This can in part be attributed to his injury laden season, but in truth, few prophesised such a rapid rise for the young Catalan.
    Except those who mattered. Andoni Zubizarreta and Pep Guardiola clearly saw a need to write a clause into Romeu’s transfer to Chelsea. This clause is still causing debate, and has been brought into question once again this week. From what we can gather from the original press coverage upon the initial announcement of his transfer, Barcelona have the option to buy Romeu back from Chelsea for a fixed fee in the near future.
    The exact nature of this contract has been plunged into new depths of mystery, courtesy of André Villas-Boas. The Chelsea coach is this week quoted as saying that “the option [in the transfer] states that Barcelona can only buy back if Chelsea agree to sell.”
    After Romeu’s series of impressive performances for the London outfit, Villas-Boas is attempting to downplay suggestions that he is merely on an extended vacation, and will return to Barcelona if (and presumably when) they come calling.
    It didn’t take the Catalan media long to respond in return. Sport have today ran with the headline “The future of Oriol Romeu is in the hands of Barça”, completely contradicting AVB’s words.
    Sport attempted to shed more light on Romeu’s situation by breaking down the details of the deal. They insist that the transfer set up between Barcelona and Chelsea assures that Barcelona can buy him back in June 2012 for ten million euros. Alternatively, the Catalans can wait until June 2012 and purchase his services for 15 million euros.
    Whilst I am the first to admit that Sport have been known to be liberal with their use of facts in the past, the details they published are much more in line with the original breakdown being touted in August, long before Romeu had found a place in the Chelsea team, and long before he became important to the Chelsea/AVB project.
    If we cast a sceptical eye over the words of André Villas-Boas, it could be deduced that the coach is doing what any good manager would do if they found a diamond in the rough, and attempting to deflect any potential doubts amongst an already doubt-laden support over Romeu’s future.
    One key factor that is being overlooked by both parties, and one that should never be underestimated, is the will of the player. After the faith shown towards Romeu by AVB, the youth must surely be pleased with his trajectory at Chelsea so far.
    Looking back a year, the picture would have been very different. With all due respect to a division I love, playing what are essentially training matches for a team that has no option to gain promotion from the second tier of Spanish football is completely different to getting regular Champions League action.
    That being said, the fact that Barcelona allowed him to leave in the first place, whilst still making sure that they have the first say on whether he returns or not, also shows a degree of trust invested in him by his home club. His desire to play tougher and more frequent football was respected, but the club still let him know he was a part of their plans in the future.
    We can only speculate, but if Pep Guardiola has already had a word with the youngster, telling him to run free but to be ready when called upon, who could blame him if he was tempted to return to the best team in the world?
    In all likelihood the situation in the Barcelona team will play a major role in his decision. It’s not impossible that in two years time, Xavi will no longer be playing and Iniesta will be winding down his career. Moreover, in the specific position Romeu typically occupies, Guardiola may have taken the gamble of moving Busquets further up field occasionally in order to unlock his passing potential, an ability for which he is rarely credited, but none the less has in abundance.
    If, in such a situation, a space opened up for regular playing time as a midfield pivot, the prospect of returning home would be much more desirable for Romeu, and hand him a difficult decision.
    The alternative is also a possibility however. In two years time, Guardiola may no longer be at Barcelona, the team could (though unlikely) have fallen from grace, and the options could still remain few for Romeu in terms of playing at the top level in Spain regularly.
    What is certain is that Romeu is continuing to improve by the game, and his name is growing in stature. If he does one day decide to return to Barcelona, Chelsea would be foolish to try and prevent him, despite his potential worth as an asset to the London outfit.
    One should never underestimate the will of a player, just ask Cesc Fabregas. The door is still open, but it will be up to Oriol Romeu to walk back through it.

http://elcentrocampista.com/2011/12/catalan-confusion-what-now-for-oriol-romeu/

We would of been in with a shout for the league this season if he didn't try to change things so quickly.

Trying to change things so suddenly showed his inexperience. We simply don't have the team capable of pulling off that system, even so i don't want us to ever go back to the high-line system, a high line is an inevitable disaster IMO.

A couple of fresh faces to compliment the talent we already have and i think we can be considered legitimate title contenders once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I notice the report doesnt mention Lampard when he said "Although I know Im now 33 and wont have as many chances as I used to "
    Didn't Lampard also mention he'd be seeing out the remainder of his contract(18 months)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2073746/Fernando-Torres-sale-Chelsea-20m-January-flop-striker.html
    Chelsea will listen to offers for £50million flop Fernando Torres in next month's transfer window.

The £150,000-a-week striker has scored just three Barclays Premier League goals since his move to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool on January 31.
    Chelsea considered sending him on loan to rebuild his shattered confidence, but they are now prepared to sell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

amiable wrote: »
    Didn't Lampard also mention he'd be seeing out the remainder of his contract(18 months)

Heard that on SSN today but didnt actually hear him saying it last night ,

On Nando I think at the moment he finds himself not in AVB's plans , partially his own fault , starting to find his feet them that stupid stupid sending off

Heard that on SSN today but didnt actually hear him saying it last night ,

On Nando I think at the moment he finds himself not in AVB's plans , partially his own fault , starting to find his feet them that stupid stupid sending off
    Says it all that Lampard is happy to see out the contract IMO.

He's obviously not as perplexed as the rags would have you believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

China?

AVB has given Torres plenty of opportunity. Torres would have been doing OK for a €10 million acquisition. But he has in no way repaid the €50+ million tag. With a couple of the missed goals and sendings-off, you'd be forgiven for thinking he was angling for an exit.

He's been a disappointment. Although many also had trepidations when he was being purchased. Especially in light of his WC non-performances.

jcf wrote: »
    Why would he be booked ? was he goading City fans ?

Your not allowed leave the field of play, and he was in the crowd, it doesnt matter if its the home or the away fans. Fair play to Clattenburg, because personally I think its a load of bollocks that ya cant celebrate with your own fans after scoring.

New signing in January, Justin Beiber.

:pac:

article-0-0F28873800000578-964_634x422.jpg

Just when we thought he was ours........

Five months ago, Oriol Romeu was nothing but a slim prospect.
    Even amongst the FC Barcelona support, only the most dedicated of followers would have already been aware of the talented midfielder. For the most part, he was anonymous amongst a sea of bigger names in Catalunya.
    Within his then team, Barça B, he was beneath the likes of Jonathan Soriano or Martin Montoya in the list of players expected to break through into stardom this year. This can in part be attributed to his injury laden season, but in truth, few prophesised such a rapid rise for the young Catalan.
    Except those who mattered. Andoni Zubizarreta and Pep Guardiola clearly saw a need to write a clause into Romeu’s transfer to Chelsea. This clause is still causing debate, and has been brought into question once again this week. From what we can gather from the original press coverage upon the initial announcement of his transfer, Barcelona have the option to buy Romeu back from Chelsea for a fixed fee in the near future.
    The exact nature of this contract has been plunged into new depths of mystery, courtesy of André Villas-Boas. The Chelsea coach is this week quoted as saying that “the option [in the transfer] states that Barcelona can only buy back if Chelsea agree to sell.”
    After Romeu’s series of impressive performances for the London outfit, Villas-Boas is attempting to downplay suggestions that he is merely on an extended vacation, and will return to Barcelona if (and presumably when) they come calling.
    It didn’t take the Catalan media long to respond in return. Sport have today ran with the headline “The future of Oriol Romeu is in the hands of Barça”, completely contradicting AVB’s words.
    Sport attempted to shed more light on Romeu’s situation by breaking down the details of the deal. They insist that the transfer set up between Barcelona and Chelsea assures that Barcelona can buy him back in June 2012 for ten million euros. Alternatively, the Catalans can wait until June 2012 and purchase his services for 15 million euros.
    Whilst I am the first to admit that Sport have been known to be liberal with their use of facts in the past, the details they published are much more in line with the original breakdown being touted in August, long before Romeu had found a place in the Chelsea team, and long before he became important to the Chelsea/AVB project.
    If we cast a sceptical eye over the words of André Villas-Boas, it could be deduced that the coach is doing what any good manager would do if they found a diamond in the rough, and attempting to deflect any potential doubts amongst an already doubt-laden support over Romeu’s future.
    One key factor that is being overlooked by both parties, and one that should never be underestimated, is the will of the player. After the faith shown towards Romeu by AVB, the youth must surely be pleased with his trajectory at Chelsea so far.
    Looking back a year, the picture would have been very different. With all due respect to a division I love, playing what are essentially training matches for a team that has no option to gain promotion from the second tier of Spanish football is completely different to getting regular Champions League action.
    That being said, the fact that Barcelona allowed him to leave in the first place, whilst still making sure that they have the first say on whether he returns or not, also shows a degree of trust invested in him by his home club. His desire to play tougher and more frequent football was respected, but the club still let him know he was a part of their plans in the future.
    We can only speculate, but if Pep Guardiola has already had a word with the youngster, telling him to run free but to be ready when called upon, who could blame him if he was tempted to return to the best team in the world?
    In all likelihood the situation in the Barcelona team will play a major role in his decision. It’s not impossible that in two years time, Xavi will no longer be playing and Iniesta will be winding down his career. Moreover, in the specific position Romeu typically occupies, Guardiola may have taken the gamble of moving Busquets further up field occasionally in order to unlock his passing potential, an ability for which he is rarely credited, but none the less has in abundance.
    If, in such a situation, a space opened up for regular playing time as a midfield pivot, the prospect of returning home would be much more desirable for Romeu, and hand him a difficult decision.
    The alternative is also a possibility however. In two years time, Guardiola may no longer be at Barcelona, the team could (though unlikely) have fallen from grace, and the options could still remain few for Romeu in terms of playing at the top level in Spain regularly.
    What is certain is that Romeu is continuing to improve by the game, and his name is growing in stature. If he does one day decide to return to Barcelona, Chelsea would be foolish to try and prevent him, despite his potential worth as an asset to the London outfit.
    One should never underestimate the will of a player, just ask Cesc Fabregas. The door is still open, but it will be up to Oriol Romeu to walk back through it.

http://elcentrocampista.com/2011/12/catalan-confusion-what-now-for-oriol-romeu/

If Barca come back in a few years with a Cesc like offer I'd personally pack his bags. :p

Its hard to know who to believe, I'd personally go with AVB and his version, after all hes a Chelsea player on the other side we have a media source claiming Barca can call him back and then they go through future situations why Romeu would go back, like Xavi retiring in 2 years at 33 :rolleyes: Iniesta to be winding down at the grand age of 29 :rolleyes: and Busquets playing further up field to replace Cesc or Iniesta.

Until a Barca official comes out and confirms it I'm going to say hes ours to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

So it was Ashley Cole that alledgely sparked the alledged tunnell bust-up on Monday night.

Naughty little scamp :D

According to Mirror Football, Cole had shouted “F*****g have some of that” and “Thursday night, Channel 5″ in reference to City’s new televised home in the Europa League.

Dodgy source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just as well he left his air pistol at home so!
    RichT wrote: »
    So it was Ashley Cole that alledgely sparked the alledged tunnell bust-up on Monday night.

According to Mirror Football, Cole had shouted “F*****g have some of that” and “Thursday night, Channel 5″ in reference to City’s new televised home in the Europa League.

Dodgy source

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoh3JdcNBsz97AtaC7lHB6oYjU2ykj084y3MhOu6QkAg1pia0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-O8nKznQJBlbC2JX9T0TVZm1Uq67cwjHW5BVWuRXwlaBHJ1nz

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

RichT wrote: »

Dodgy source

God I hope that's true :pac:

Would ya be interested, Amiable?;)

To be honest i don't think i would but i don't think Torres himself would have any interest in returning either so it doesn't really matter.

Isn't Drogba away in January? Can't see Torres going anywhere in January.
    I suppose he might leave in the summer if a club can be found to pay his wages.

To be honest i don't think i would but i don't think Torres himself would have any interest in returning either so it doesn't really matter.

Isn't Drogba away in January? Can't see Torres going anywhere in January.
    I suppose he might leave in the summer if a club can be found to pay his wages.

Torres wont be sold in January. Not a chance. With Drogba gone we lack a player to play through the middle, now we could play Sturridge there but that leaves short on the right wing and with Kalou going with Drogba that for the ACoN that leaves little to no options on the right wing in the current squad.

As it stands Torres and Lukaku will be playing for the central striker role in Drogbas absence.

We could go out and spend moneyy on a forward in January but I dont see the point, unless we are shipping out Torres/Drogba at the end of the year.

Amiable, we'll talk shop in the summer and we can swap Torres for Suarez. Thanks. ;) :pac:

• Advertisement

Torres wont be sold in January. Not a chance. With Drogba gone we lack a player to play through the middle, now we could play Sturridge there but that leaves short on the right wing and with Kalou going with Drogba that for the ACoN that leaves little to no options on the right wing in the current squad.

As it stands Torres and Lukaku will be playing for the central striker role in Drogbas absence.

We could go out and spend moneyy on a forward in January but I dont see the point, unless we are shipping out Torres/Drogba at the end of the year.

Amiable, we'll talk shop in the summer and we can swap Torres for Suarez. Thanks. ;) :pac:

There's as much chance of a Rocking Horse making a sh1t :p

There's as much chance of a Rocking Horse making a sh1t :p

Could have said the same about a Torres deal last December but........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpK7-rSa-pzsQffGqPd4xvrHqSjMmiuWxnDr8BfurvNF7HxH5xvw

Wait until the 31st August about 11:50pm and it will break on SSN, mark my words. :pac:

/ Banter

Could have said the same about a Torres deal last December but........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpK7-rSa-pzsQffGqPd4xvrHqSjMmiuWxnDr8BfurvNF7HxH5xvw

Wait until the 31st August about 11:50pm and it will break on SSN, mark my words. :pac:

/ Banter

There was too many rumours being leaked from the Torres camp for over a year for me to think Torres couldn't possibly leave.

Granted though if Liverpool fail to improve over the next 2 years Suarez could get itchy feet.

I seem to remember a few other Chelsea fans having a canary when i suggested Liverpool might sign Sturridge last summer :D

I think Chelsea have other priorities in the next 2 transfer windows.

There was too many rumours being leaked from the Torres camp for over a year for me to think Torres couldn't possibly leave.

Granted though if Liverpool fail to improve over the next 2 years Suarez could get itchy feet.

I seem to remember a few other Chelsea fans having a canary when i suggested Liverpool might sign Sturridge last summer :D

I think Chelsea have other priorities in the next 2 transfer windows.

Ya can have Sturridge, hes not that good anyway :rolleyes: :p:p

Agreed on our next few targets, a new CB, RB, Wide player and CF should do it. If we managed to get someone that could play wide and upfront we'd sort out two problems. Hell even a CB that can shift to RB would be an option.

Suarez wont walk for awhile and I cant see him been pushed, unless he continues to cause problems and be a *COUGH* Racist *COUGH*

Actually these two would be great crack together :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-_oslvDZIdD7dccWtkTAUxCsJ1zDOOjDwhRO9U7HYn96q719P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Torres wont flurish until he is the main striker and is playing week in week out, Anelka is now gone, Drogba is gone to Africa in January and to be honest should be sold in the summer, kalou aswell but for free!

Then its Torres Vs. Lukaku for the strikers spot, totally different players for different situations!

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Torres wont flurish until he is the main striker and is playing week in week out, Anelka is now gone, Drogba is gone to Africa in January and to be honest should be sold in the summer, kalou aswell but for free!

Then its Torres Vs. Lukaku for the strikers spot, totally different players for different situations!
    AFAIK Drogba is out of contract in the summer so chelsea won't get a fee for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Youth team came from behind to win 2-1 in the cup. Swift and Piazon scored.

LanceStorm wrote: »

I'd tend to agree with ya, his red card stopped any chance of that. AVB knows he can rely on Drogba when the chips are down, for the last 3 games Drogba has looked like a guy back to his best but hes gone to the ACoN in a few weeks.

Torres should play against Wigan, we should have enough to beat Wigan with Mata and Sturridge supplying him.

If we go out for a striker in January, Torres will be gone in the Summer I'd say, hopefully though he gets a chance when Drogba is gone because Lukaku hasnt looked upto at EPL level yet.

I cant see Lukkau getting a loan deal either in January with so little striking options.
    AFAIK Drogba is out of contract in the summer so chelsea won't get a fee for him.

True, only way there can be a fee is if he goes abroad, like Anelka.

So for my money hes got 3 options, leave in January, like Anelka, Sign an extension, or leave for free in the Summer.

Either way I'll be sad when he eventually leaves, fantastic player for the club.
    Johner wrote: »

Great to see they've won again, wonder how Piazon played?

Good to see him scoring though.

Johner wrote: »

On Johner's news heres the report from the match via ChelseaFC.com
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2547952,00.html

Following the scoring pattern of the first team's win on Monday, the Under 18s recovered from an early shock to progress in the Youth Cup with goals scored by John Swift and Lucas Piazon.

In front of 482 spectators in their first game staged at Staines Town FC, the young Chelsea side conceded from a free-kick in the opening minutes. Doncaster had few chances after that but they knew how to defend although Swift put Chelsea on level terms inside the opening 10 minutes.
    The winner had to wait until the closing stages, Piazon (pictured above) finding the net after advancing from midfield, but it was a win that was clearly deserved on balance of play.

Jamal Blackman had recovered from a back spasm that forced his late withdrawal from the weekend league game so took his place in goal. Nathaniel Chalobah was added to the defence and captained the side and schoolboy Alex Kiwomya came in to play wide on the right of the front three.

The young Blues went behind with less than two minutes played, a set-piece doing the damage. A free-kick was awarded on the Doncaster right which was fired in to the near post area where the visitors' centre-back Liam Wakefield got away from his marker and in front of Blackman to head in.

Doncaster had been faster out the blocks even before that goal but the Blues soon wrestled back control of the game.

John Swift, playing in the heart of the Chelsea midfield shot straight at the keeper who had a more difficult task from a diagonal effort from left-back Adam Nditi. The equalising goal came on seven minutes, centre-forward Islam Feruz having moved wide to attack and cross in low. The ball reached Swift who finished confidently from inside the area.

Back on level terms and the Blues kept the pressure on. Feruz showed good control to take a Swift pass and shoot, but the keeper saved.

Chelsea knew by now to take care when Doncaster had a set-piece and one corner ricocheted inside the six-yard box before it was cleared, but then Chelsea went close twice midway through the half. First Swift fired just over from distance when Nditi had beaten his man and centred, and then Piazon, running on to an Affane pass, shot wide from much closer in.

A quieter spell came to an end when Affane was found in plenty of space on the left and the Swede went for the shooting option, missing the far post by a whisker with Feruz sliding in and almost turning it on target.
    Doncaster weren't afraid to use the long ball forward and mostly such attacks were dealt with comfortably, Dutch defender Nathan Ake the outstanding defender of the first half, but when one long punt did break the way of Doncaster forward Patrick Mullen, he cleared the Chelsea bar with as Blackman raced back to his line.

There had been a few hard challenges going in but Nditi was first to receive a yellow card for one shortly before half-time.

There was an early threat by Chelsea after the restart when Swift wormed his way along the by line and struck the keeper's legs, Kiwomya on the turn then knocking a difficult follow-up chance wide.

The best moments from Feruz continued to come when he pulled wide and found by an excellent Chalobah pass, the diminutive striker cut in and thundered a shot at Jonathan Maxted that the Doncaster keeper managed to keep out.
    Ake tested the glass in one of the houses behind the goal with a volley but clear-cut chances were proving hard to come by in the second half. Baker had a shot saved by the post.

With 20 minutes left Chelsea had a strong penalty claim waved away. Feruz had used his good acceleration to reach the ball in the first place and then he tried to slip round the back of Brett Lucas but the Doncaster skipper appeared to push him down. No foul was given. Lucas himself went down with cramp. Was this the first sign that a side that had been chasing the game were tiring?

It took only another two minutes for Chelsea to go ahead. Piazon, playing as an attacking midfielder, had been quiet in the first half but as against Portsmouth at the weekend, the Brazilian came more into it after the interval and his was a graceful run forward past a man and shot from the edge of the area, although the ball was helped on its way in by a deflection off a defender. There were 72 minutes played.

Doncaster, now in need of a goal, had their best minutes of the half immediately after the Chelsea goal, and Blackman had to stand up and block an over-head kick from unmarked Jordan Ball.

Doncaster substitute Evan Finnegan clattered Affane to earn a booking. A card apiece in this game had been quite lenient by the ref.

Feruz heeled Baker's free-kick in but from an offside position before the Doncaster keeper kept the score at 2-1 with a diving stop. Todd Kane's shooting prowess is no secret and the right-back had drilled one hard towards the top corner. It was good save that kept it out.

There was one final moment of concern for Chelsea when a corner was tipped onto the top of his bar by Blackman, but the whistle blew soon after to send Adi Viveash's side into the fourth round.

'It was a very tough game and the third round is always tough, as you can see from some of the results already, including Liverpool going out,' said Viveash after the final whistle.

'I was really pleased with the boys' mentality, they fought and scrapped and stuck together and a little bit of magic from Piazon at the end has won a close game. All credit to Doncaster, they came with a plan to stop us playing and for most of the game it worked but we could have had more goals in the first half, their keeper made two outstanding saves.

'There were some very good performances. Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Ake were excellent. Todd Kane gives great desire and drive and Amin Affane played extremely well. Islam Feruz was the best player on the pitch with good movement and he was always a threat.

'Our midfield couldn't quite get going, Doncaster won that battle in the first half, but the work rate they put in meant they tired because of our use of the ball.

'It was a great little atmosphere, a good pitch and a good cup tie.'
    Chelsea (4-3-3): Jamal Blackman; Todd Kane, Nathaniel Chalobah (c), Nathan Ake, Adam Nditi; Lewis Baker, John Swift, Lucas Piazon; Alex Kiwomya (Archange Nkumu 64), Islam Feruz, Amin Affane (Ismail Seremba 89).

Unused subs: Michell Beeney, Alistair Gordon, Reece Mitchell.
    Doncaster (4-3-3): Jonathan Maxted; Jordan Binns, Liam Wakefield, Brett Lucas (c), James Husband; Jacob McCormick (Joshua Meade 87), Harry Middleton, Eddie Wilding (Evan Finnegan 79); Patrick Mullen, Christopher Whincop (Alex Peterson 75), Jordan Ball.
    Unused subs: Aaron Busby, Lewis Ferguson.

• Advertisement

Pinch of salt maybe required.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2074386/Chelsea-keeping-tabs-30m-Gonzalo-Higuain.html

Chelsea are preparing a £30million bid to land Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain.

Manager Andre Villas-Boas is short of options in attack after selling Nicolas Anelka earlier this month, while Ivory Coast international Dider Drogba will leave to play in the African Cup of Nations in January.

The future of Fernando Torres also remains unclear.

Torres, who signed for the west London club in a £50m deal in January, could be sold when the transfer window re-opens next month.

The £150,000-a-week striker has scored just three Barclays Premier League goals since his move to Stamford Bridge and Chelsea are prepared to listen to offers.

Higuain is out of favour at Real Madrid and while there has been no official contact between the two clubs, Chelsea are monitoring the situation.

A source is quoted in the Daily Star as saying: 'Higuain is unhappy at being left out all of the time. He wants to fight for the title but was on the bench against Barcelona at the weekend when Real lost 3-1 and he knows where his place is now.

'He would be interested in what people have to say to him.'
    Paris Saint-Germain and River Plate are also considering a move for the 24-year-old striker.

Personally I'd love to see Higuain at the club, I think hes a world class player but I doubt Mourihno wants to lose him and the player himself is happy enough at Madrid.

More from the Daily Mail, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2074274/Fernando-Torres-rejected-Barcelona-Real-Madrid.html

Torres " offered " to Barca and Madrid and Cahill top transfer target, moves also mentioned for Cavani and Vertonghen :pac:

Barcelona and Real Madrid have ruled out a move to rescue Fernando Torres from English football.

The two biggest clubs in Spain have been sounded out about Torres' future but have shown no interest in the £50million striker.

Despite similar rumblings at Barcelona about the future of David Villa, coach Pep Guardiola insists he is not for sale and maintains there will not be an opening at the Nou Camp for Chelsea's misfiring front man.

Real coach Jose Mourinho is not short of striking options and Torres' previous career at city rivals Atletico would be a major obstacle to a move to the Bernabeu.

Although Chelsea insist Torres is part of their plans, the latest in a string of denials simply protects the club in the event they cannot find a buyer in January.

The option of an emotional return to Atletico has also been ruled out because the club owe €200million and cannot afford either a transfer fee or meet their former captain's salary expectations.

Atletico striker Falcao worked under Andre Villas-Boas when he was at Porto but swapping the two forwards is also prohibitively expensive. Falcao is owned by a third party and Chelsea would have to buy the Colombian outright to comply with Premier League rules.
    Torres has failed to make an impact at Chelsea since his £50m move from Liverpool and refused to celebrate Frank Lampard's emotionally charged winner against Manchester City on Monday.

Unloading Torres is not the only change Villas-Boas is contemplating at Chelsea as he seeks to revamp his squad. The recruitment of younger players is a key component of his plan as the core of the club's squad are approaching the twilight of their distinguished careers.
    John Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba and Florent Malouda are all in their 30s and Villas-Boas has ordered the club's scouts to compile a list of the best emerging talent.

Chelsea's network of scouts have already embarked on a search to identify potential targets in time for the next two transfer windows.

A source said: 'Chelsea really have gone into overdrive. Scouts seem to be everywhere at the moment looking at players. Chelsea have not been this active with regards to scouting for years.

'It's safe to say there will be a fair amount of player recruitment at Chelsea in the coming months.'

One target already identified is Ajax centre back Jan Vertonghen. Chelsea scouts have watched the Belgium star several times this season, including in last week's Champions League defeat by Real Madrid in Amsterdam.

Bolton defender Gary Cahill remains Villas-Boas's first-choice central defender, given his Premier League experience. However, Chelsea representatives have been impressed with Vertonghen and the 24-year-old is viewed as an option if a move for Cahill fails.

Scouts were also at Barcelona's victory over BATE Borisov in Spain last Wednesday knowing Guardiola would field a team of youngsters with a last 16 place already secured.

Villas-Boas has already benefited from keeping an eye on Barca's next batch of stars, having signed the impressive Oriol Romeu from the Nou Camp in the summer, and the Portuguese manager remains keen on keeping abreast on the progress of the club's starlets.

Chelsea scouts have also been impressed by Marseille right back Cesar Azpilicueta and Napoli's dangerous Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani

Torres not for sale.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7378617/Torres-not-for-sale

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has insisted he is not looking to offload £50million flop Fernando Torres and has also endorsed the 'massive magnitude' of Frank Lampard.

Reports have suggested the Stamford Bridge club are prepared to listen to offers in the region of £20m for a striker who they only signed from Liverpool in January 2011.

But Villas-Boas,spacer.gif who took over at Chelseaspacer.gif this summer, has remained adamant the Spain international is not for sale at any price.
    Torresspacer.gif has scored just five goals at club level since his unsavoury Liverpool exit almost 12 months ago and has recently fallen behind Didier Drogba in Villas-Boas' plans.

The ex-Atletico Madrid star has started only 11 matches this season and was an unused substitute in Monday's Premier League victory over Manchester City

But Villas-Boas said at a press conference on Thursday ahead of Saturday's trip to Wigan: "Fernando Torres is not for sale at any price, now or in the summer."

Speculation has also suggested Frank Lampard, 33, will be sold either in January or at the end of season and the England international has been linked with LA Galaxy.

Villas-Boas is thought to want to reduce the age of his squad and has over the past month been preferring the central midfield partnership of summer signings Raul Meireles and Oriol Romeu.

But Lampard came off the bench to score the winning penalty in the victory over City and his manager, who is just eight months older, has offered an endorsement of Chelsea's 2001 signing from West Ham.
    "Frank Lampard is a player of massive magnitude to this club," said Villas-Boas.

Lampard revealed after the win over City he had not held talks with Villas-Boas to discuss why he has been demoted to a role as a substitute.
    And having previously in December accused the media of a premeditated agenda against his club, Villas-Boas has now said: "I haven't followed Lamps' comments after the game.

"I know that the headline played like that, which is fair because in the end it came out of his mouth.

"What I would say is there are plenty of players that push for starting XI selection and Frank is not the only one.

"There are people that are making great efforts to get into this Chelsea squad. Lamps' is, I think, one of the top-five players most used.
    "Every player wants to be involved in every game. But sometimes it is just not possible."

More from AVB : http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2548236,00.html

Andre Villas-Boas has no new injury problems ahead of our visit to Wigan on Saturday, and has reiterated that Fernando Torres is not for sale in January.
    The manager was reacting to stories in the press suggesting the Spaniard would be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge after less than a year in London, and added that Torres, like the rest of his squad is pushing for a starting place in the side.

That includes Frank Lampard, who had been quoted in the week as being frustrated at being left out for recent games, but Villas-Boas explained there is no problem with the 33-year-old midfielder, who he admitted could be back in the line-up at the DW Stadium on Saturday.

ON THE WIGAN GAME

'It will be the first time in the Premier League we have a chance to go on a run of four straight wins, and a motivated Wigan will try to threaten us,' said the Portuguese, who believes we can now look back on our difficult run of form. 'If we can get the win we want and expect it means maybe we are in our best period of the season.
    'You always evolve as time goes by. I think it's within the periods of defeat that you evolve as a person and as a manager so I would say that it has been a very knowledgeable situation, and one at a top club you must avoid all the time. We've lived it, we went past it and we have to continue to show we are making good progress.'
    Asked whether there were any fresh fitness concerns, he responded: 'Not at the moment. There are still training sessions before the game. Hopefully nothing will happen and at the moment there is nothing special.
    Villas-Boas was also asked about Michael Essien, who has not featured this season due to a cruciate ligament injury, and he admitted it is likely to be a month before the Ghanaian is back in blue.

'We're looking at mid-January, that's the best we can think about,' he conceded. 'There was a setback at the beginning of December if I'm not wrong which took him back 10 days and that's extended into January, so I don't think he will go to the African Cup of Nations.'

ON DROGBA

One man who will be going to the tournament in Gabon and Equitorial Guinea is Didier Drogba, who has also been the subject of speculation on his future. The manager explained that contract talks with the Ivorian were on-going.
    'It's between a two-year and a one-year and we're waiting to make the best decision possible,' he said.

'We've been discussing this week in week out, the situation is on-going and we hope to solve it. Whatever the outcome or agreement, or non-agreement, there will be no question of his professionalism and integrity and he will keep on representing Chelsea this season.

'Didier's importance is straightforward, it's not just because he is performing now. The conversation has been on-going since the beginning and we'll continue to push for that. It's not just my decision, it's a decision between two parts and we have to wait and see.
    'It's not up to me to speak about what is in Didier's mind at the moment regarding his future. What I think is clear is that he is pretty much involved with Chelsea and his mindset is on competing with his colleagues for this club. That's the most gratifying thing, the commitment from the player. His professionalism is not in question.'

ON LAMPARD

Villas-Boas has also stated he has no problem with experienced midfielder Lampard, who was quoted in the week as being frustrated at spending time on the bench despite his goalscoring form.

'Frank is not the only one,' the coach responded. 'People are making great efforts to get into the Chelsea squad and Frank is one of the top five used players. Everyone wants to be involved in every game but sometimes it is not possible.

'I treat everybody equally. It's pretty clear everybody wants to play in every single game. You will find it from Frank but you will find it from Malouda, Kalou and Paulo the same. Everybody wants to play and pushes to be involved.

'There is no hiding that Lamps represents the best in history of the club. He and JT are near to 600 or 550 appearances, these are players of a massive magnitude for the cub and represent Chelsea's success, but in our opinion every player must be treated equally and we try to be as fair and coherent as possible. Sometimes we make decisions that cannot please everybody, because it's a 24-man squad. That is the reality of football and there are no explanations.'

ON TORRES

Like Lampard, Torres has needed to draw on great reserves of patience in recent times, seeing Drogba return to emphatic form, but Villas-Boas insists the striker still remains a key part of his plans.
    There was just one line devoted to answering speculation on the former Liverpool forward's future. He said: 'It's not true I'm sorry. He is not available at any price, for sure.'

He expects Torres to get his chance sooner rather than later, particularly with Drogba soon to be on international duty.

'It's going back to the same question, everybody wants to be involved more. Fernando is pushing for a place with Didier who is on a good run at the moment and we are sure when Fernando is called up he will respond with the quality he has,' Villas-Boas said. 'It is a question of time when we see him back, sooner or later I don't know but we have to make the best decision for the team.

'[Nicolas] Anelka of course will not be involved anymore but we have Sturridge competing and [Romelu] Lukaku and Fernando competing when Didier will be away and hopefully we can make the best decision.'
    ON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Finally, Villas-Boas gave some attention to tomorrow's Champions League draw, which will see us discover our opponents in the last 16.
    'Any team from now on is extremely difficult,' he accepted. 'What we want is to win the trophy but it gets difficult now. There are a lot of top teams also in those runners up spots. One team with seven European titles (AC Milan) and for sure they will be the ones to try to avoid.
    'A synthetic pitch is always difficult at CSKA but it's something our players can handle. Zenit is a different story, a natural pitch, very cold but normal circumstances.

With Drogba heading off, i hope we see Torres get a prolonged period in the first team. He needs to get a decent chance in the first team if he is going to ever get his form back and be our main striker.

IMO his signing was down to Abramovich and Abramovich alone. he was brought in under Carlos nose just as Ballack and Sheva were brought in under Mourinho's nose. Another marquee signing by our sugar daddy, that's it.

How long will it be before Roman throws his toys out of the pram and starts undermining AVB?

This season is a right off, AVB will have next season to get it right IMO and if he fails he will get the same treatment as the rest.

I don't think Roman understands the concept of having a long term manager or sustained success. I want AVB to succeed, but i think in time Roman will inevitably f*ck us up as he did with Carlo, Jose etc...Now he has done a lot don't get me wrong, he is the sole reason we are a successful club but does that give him license to play around with the football team like a child with its Christmas toys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Essien injury woes continue.
    Link here
    I can't see Torres going anywhere, I'd like to see a left winger arrive in January, In my opinion, and as has been discussed here before, I think a 4-2-3-1 formation with Mata in the middle of the 3 and Torres up front would see him at his most devastating.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Essien injury woes continue.
    Link here
    I can't see Torres going anywhere, I'd like to see a left winger arrive in January, In my opinion, and as has been discussed here before, I think a 4-2-3-1 formation with Mata in the middle of the 3 and Torres up front would see him at his most devastating.

Shame about Essien, I can see us getting another midfielder in and a winger as you say.

Dont agree about Torres, support striker at best now.
    Psychology I dont think he will ever recover from the all the negative attention and being dropped for Drogba under 2 managers now.
    We've seen with Drogba the type of striker we need. Someone who can lead from the front and a game changer
    Thats not Torres. Never in a million years would you back him to win you a game.
    He will probably limp on for a couple of years and then be shuffled off somewhere like we did with SWP.
    Even when Drogba leaves, I just cant see him stepping up.
    Danny is miles ahead of him just on confidence and youthful zest alone

With Drogba heading off, i hope we see Torres get a prolonged period in the first team. He needs to get a decent chance in the first team if he is going to ever get his form back and be our main striker.

IMO his signing was down to Abramovich and Abramovich alone. he was brought in under Carlos nose just as Ballack and Sheva were brought in under Mourinho's nose. Another marquee signing by our sugar daddy, that's it.

How long will it be before Roman throws his toys out of the pram and starts undermining AVB?

This season is a right off, AVB will have next season to get it right IMO and if he fails he will get the same treatment as the rest.

I don't think Roman understands the concept of having a long term manager or sustained success. I want AVB to succeed, but i think in time Roman will inevitably f*ck us up as he did with Carlo, Jose etc...Now he has done a lot don't get me wrong, he is the sole reason we are a successful club but does that give him license to play around with the football team like a child with its Christmas toys?

Bit in bold, this is season isnt over yet, FA cup coming up, last 16 of the CL, just beat the best team in the country 2-1 and were 7 points behind them and 5 behind Man Utd. If City lose at the weekend and we win we'll be 4 behind them with only half the season gone.

Plenty left to play for. I cant get all the negativity around here, its not like we're in 7th or 8th and in danger of finishing outside the top 4.

At the same time last season we we're having one of the worse runs in recent memory. This season we are about 4 points better off.

Torres will get plenty of games instead of Drogba once he doesnt get injured/suspended and if he fluffs his lines at this stage then AVB will have a lot to think about come the summer.

Lamps agent looking for a contract extension??

Also at the end AVB talsk about Romeu and stands by his view on the situtaion that any buy back clause is at Chelseas discretion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8959725/Chelsea-manager-Andre-Villas-Boas-reveals-that-Frank-Lampard-has-asked-for-a-contract-extension.html
    Andre Villas-Boas revealed on Thursday that Frank Lampard’s agent had contacted Chelsea asking for a contract extension for the midfielder.

The Chelsea manager added that the club was undecided as to what to do given Lampard is 33 and still has 18 months left on his current deal.

“[Chief executive] Ron Gourlay told me that [agent] Steve Kutner contacted him recently,” Villas-Boas said. “I’m not sure of the situation. And I think we haven’t decided yet what to do.”

It’s understood that Lampard’s representative was, partly, testing the water to see what the view was of his client given he has not played as regularly as he wants to — and has been accustomed to - this season.

Given Lampard’s high wages, any new deal, should it be offered, would be for a far lower salary and Chelsea are unlikely to offer anything beyond a one-year extension and would only enter into negotiations next summer, if at all.

Lampard believes he can continue at Chelsea beyond 2013 and earlier this week stated he had every intention of seeing out the remainder of his contract.

He also said that Villas-Boas had not explained to him why he had been left out of late.

“There are plenty of players pushing for selection and Frank is not the only one,” Villas-Boas said. “People are making great efforts to get into squad. He is one of our top five most-used players and it’s not possible for everyone to play every game.”

Asked whether, given Lampard’s status at Chelsea, he deserved better handling, Villas-Boas added: “We’ve had conversation with all players. We treat all players equally.

"The club’s direction and fortune is the most important thing. There is no hiding that ‘Lamps’ represents the best in the history of club.

"These [Lampard and John Terry] are players of massive magnitude and represent Chelsea’s success but in our opinion every player must be treated equally. Sometimes we can’t please everybody.”

Lampard’s situation is set to be a re-run of several of Chelsea’s older players as Villas-Boas confirmed that the sticking point over Didier Drogba’s new deal was that the striker, also 33, was holding out for another two years — his current contract runs until June 30 2012 — while Chelsea have offered just 12 months.

“It’s a situation between two years and one year and we are waiting to make the best decision possible,” Villas-Boas said. “It’s ongoing and we hope to solve it.

"But whatever the outcome there is no question of professionalism or integrity and I’m sure he will keep representing Chelsea. He’s been doing well for us.”

Villas-Boas also confirmed that Michael Essien had suffered a minor setback in his recovery from a serious knee injury.

“We are still looking at mid-January,” he said. “That’s the best we can think about him. There was a setback at beginning of December that took him out 10 days.”

Villas-Boas also reiterated his claim that Barcelona could only exercise a buy-back on Oriol Romeu if Chelsea decided to sell the midfielder.

From The Sun, Drogba apparently on his way to China, apparently.

Also it touches on Lamps contract talk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4001910/Didier-Drogba-wants-out-of-Chelsea-Frank-Lampard-may-follow.html

Drogba, 33, is furious the club have rejected his demands for a new two-year contract.

And he has resolved to make a lucrative move to China in the January transfer window rather than wait until his contract expires next summer.
    The Ivory Coast international has been offered a two-year deal by Chinese club Dalian Aerbin worth £200,000 per week while Chelsea are only prepared to give him 12 months at £125,000 a week.

That means Drog can earn £20MILLION in China or £6.5m at the Bridge.
    Drogba's decision is a massive blow at a time that club legend Lampard is considering his future.

Lamps is offended and mystified at his recent treatment by manager Andre Villas-Boas.

The England star wants to know where he stands at the club he has served for the past 10 years and believes he deserves an explanation for his absence from Chelsea's starting line-up.

Yet he has been left in the dark by AVB, who insists he will not be making any special allowances for the midfielder.

Villas-Boas said: "Plenty of players are pushing for selection and Frank is not the only one.

"Lamps and John Terry represent the best in the history of this club.
    "But every player must be treated as fairly as possible."

Lampard has 18 months of his £170,000-a-week Chelsea contract to run and is unhappy at being on the bench for the last two games against Valencia and Manchester City.

He voiced his frustrations after coming on as a sub to score the winning penalty against league leaders City on Monday.

Villas-Boas said last night: "I speak with Frank every day and he will continue to be important for this club.

"I know that Steve Kutner, Frank's agent, has contacted Ron Gourlay (Chelsea chief executive) about Frank's contract situation. But we have not decided yet."

Those claims were denied by Kutner, who said: "I did not call Ron Gourlay to specifically discuss Frank's contract.

"It is true we had a meeting a while ago but we do fairly frequently.
    "We discussed Frank's importance to the club off the pitch on matters such as sponsorship and merchandising, as well as his importance on the pitch.

"We are very happy with the 18 months left on his contract.
    "As far as the manager speaking to Frank is concerned, I can only rely on what Frank is telling me."

Chelsea will let Nicolas Anelka leave for Shanghai Shenhua in January but are unlikely to agree to Drog's departure while they fight for the title and Champions League

From The Sun, Drogba apparently on his way to China, apparently.

Also it touches on Lamps contract talk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4001910/Didier-Drogba-wants-out-of-Chelsea-Frank-Lampard-may-follow.html

I mentioned a couple of days ago that i heard Lampard himself say he'd be seeing out the final 18 months of his contract so i think that should put the Lampard story to bed unless AVB wants him to leave which i doubt as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement